Assembly Brake Sensor

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
MrCrowley
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45

Hello all,
I am having a brake light issue. I have read many posts and know this is an old issue. I have a 1995 q45 and the 2 lights on the fenders are not working, but the 3rd, deck light working. I figure the sensor has went bad. I am not electrically inclined on cars, so haven’t tested the wiring socket. I pulled the sensor and part number shows as 28425 60U20, it is black not blue or purple.

I am having a problem finding the part, I don’t want to spend $100+ for the sensor, the car is a second car, it was my fathers. I was wondering can the sensor be jumper bypassed?

I like the car, it runs like a charm, the tach isn’t working and need to change the tracks on control modules under the battery (if someone knows the part number that would help as I bought the wrong ones), but it has stunk and love the car.

If the sensor can be bypassed, and someone knows how to, that would be great. I can check the lights, or get a warning for them being out. Since they both are out at the same time I presume the sensor is bad, wouldn’t think the sensor would detect 1 being out and cause the other not to work.

If it can be bypassed I would need to know how to do this. If not, does anyone know who sells the part for cheap?

Thanks...

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

Are you getting any messages from the diagnostic information display?
STOP LAMP INOPERATIVE
or similar?
a lot of brake lamp issues are indeed the sockets and/or bad grounding.

On the other topic (the 'modules'), are you referring to the blue relays under the battery? If so, those are NISS#25230-89981. Are you getting both the SLIP and TCS OFF warning lights all the time?

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

When I had the socket issue, the "STOP LAMP INOPERATIVE" message would only appear once. Check your bulb bases for melted lead pins or other signs of overheating.

MrCrowley

Thanks for the reply 3Q Jay. For the brakes, I get STOP LAMP INOPERATIVE light on the dashboard. I got a used sensor, and replaced it in the trunk by the latch. I still have the same problem. STOP LAMP INOPERATIVE, No brake lights on fender, but 3rd brake light works. I checked the fuse, looks good. I was thinking on trying a test light on the socket that plugs into the light housing. It seems unlikely both bulbs blew at the same time. When y’all say sockets, is that at the plug, or where the bulb plugs it? Where could the grounding issue be?

On the relays under the battery, I get both SLIP and TCS warning lights. I ordered some relays, but am sure they are wrong. They look bigger. I will hunt for the part numbers you gave. They are mounted on a bracket, it’s been a while since I checked, but they looked like hell to remove, maybe a screwdriver to release the nub. Not sure if they go down or up to remove. Need to check that out better. Last time I looked it was 20 degrees out. Didn’t spend much time looking.

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

The part numbers I listed for the blue relays are correct. You need 2 of them. The connector plugs are on the underside, need to remove the battery and the battery tray. If I remember right you pull up on the relay to release it from the bracket. No screwdriver necessary. Since you confirmed the two warning lights on the dash I am 99% confident that the relays will cure that ail.
It sounds like your sensor (both the used one and the first one) is working as intended.
the sockets are what the bulb plugs into. Look at the two solder nubs on each bulb and also the contacts in the socket. Very common to get melted solder over time and eventually intemittent contact.The OE bulbs were made by toshiba. I did order them from Nissan 15 years ago when I replaced them on the '94. They have not failed since.
On my '95 i went squirrely and put in LED tails.....I did this primarily to reduce power consumption since I was intermittently having a brake pedal switch issue (what happens when you are in a pinch and use a non-Nissan part, but I digress), that kept the lights on overnight and was 1) weakening the battery, and 2) getting real hot from running the incandescent bulbs for hours on end.

EdBwoy

It might be surprising, but bulbs can go out in pairs, especially if they are the same age and undergo the same use.

I am not certain which sensor you were addressing, but again if a part like the brake pedal sensor eent out, then none of the brake lights would come on - including the 3rd/high mount. My guess is that your issue is somewhere near the bulb itself, either blown bulbs or damaged sockets/holders/receptacles

MrCrowley

Thanks 3Q Jay, what LED’s did you put in? Was it a complete assembly or just led bulbs? I will compare prices.

MrCrowley

Thank you EdBway, I will check the bulbs, as far as I know, they have never been changed. The sensor I changed out is part number 28425 60U20, and is located in the trunk right beside the trunk latch.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”