Ask me how AWESOME the underdrive pulley crank is!

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
TheTick

This is a great thread Chad. Just the kind of info that someone trying to learn more about pulleys needs to find.

My question is...You say you notice is huge gain on the low end. I find it very hard to "feel" any gains under 15-20hp anywhere in the powerband. So with that assumption, you are implying that there is substantial hp gains in the low end correct?

Rivalry

I believe Chad mentioned that he noticed a much faster 0 - XX acceleration speed. As champagneG35 said a few posts up, it doesn't add any HP at all. Just redirecting power to your pedal.

Hope that helps.

chad1200
Car: 2004 G35 AT Sedan

Joe603: that's why i only reccomend the Unorthodox Racing pulleys

Tick: Rivalry got it right. it's the freed up ponies that you feel at lower rpms and not an actual hp gain.

Rivalry: way to pay attention! A+

TheTick

I understand you are not increasing hp at the crank, but if you are increasing acceleration at low end, you have added more hp to the rear wheels (unless you shave weight off your car). The pulley is taking hp away fro accessories and redirecting that hp to the wheels. To get a noticable increase in low end acceleration, the pulley must be redirecting alot of that hp.

I'm just wondering how much hp. Cause if it's not around 20hp...I don't think the average human can feel it.

04G356MT
Car: 04 G35 6MT

its hard to explain, you may get 5hp out of it but i promise you you will feel it, its the same concept as a lightweight flywheel

TheTick

ok...well that makes more sense to me. 5hp sounds about right. I just thought it might be alot more because chad said he could realy feel it. I guess I'm just not as sensitive as some people cause I know I won't feel 5hp. I think it's important that people know what kind of gains to expect other than someones opinion on how it "feels" cause everyone is different.

I'm guessing 5hp should be good for about .05 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile on our cars. Thats one half of one tenth of a second off from 0-90mph ish. I hate how it's soo hard to squeeze any real power out of modern N/A cars.
Modified by TheTick at 12:04 PM 12/27/2007

04G356MT
Car: 04 G35 6MT

still missed the point lol, 5hp is about all your getting out of it, but its not the 5hp that your going to feel, its the quicker acceleration, throttle response, its just overall your car is quicker.

g35sedanlover
Car: 03 Infiniti G35 Sedan

I always thought stillen was pretty accurate with their numbers and they claim 8-12 hp.

TheTick

04G356MT wrote:still missed the point lol, 5hp is about all your getting out of it, but its not the 5hp that your going to feel, its the quicker acceleration, throttle response, its just overall your car is quicker.
I totally understand. The quicker acceleration from the 5hp will make you about .05 sec faster in the 1/4 mile. Diverting power from the accessories to the wheels definatley helps. If stillen claims 8-12hp...thats about 5-9hp to the wheels which isn't bad at all.

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

I assume that in moderate climates the UD pulleys will have low cost/high benefit....

but what about in Arizona in the summer while its pushing 115-120 degrees everyday? Is the underdriven A/C going to be a factor?

chad1200

tick: nope, you still don't get it. it's not the hp gain. it's kind of like changing the gear ratio in a transmission. not really, but that's only analogy i can think of. it's not the 5 hp at all. when i drove a stock G35 i didn't feel any pull until 4k rpm. with the underdrive pulley i feel the same pull at 2500 rpm. get it?

Sedanlover: with all of the research i've done i still haven't got any accurate numbers. :-(

tollboothwilley: TX is far from moderate (but not AZ). i haven't noticed any A/C oor power steering issues. when the car is driving the belts are turning all of the accessories adequately.

i've got an idea! Tick, get an Unorthodox Racing underdrive pulley. dyno your car before and after!

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

In Arizona this last summer it was 115 degrees or more on 100 days i think they said. It felt like almost 4 months straight of hell.

I'm just concerned it may not be worth it if there will be even slight loss of the blessed A/C in the desert.

BTW, don't worry about those who don't get it. They have a tough time reading. You'll say the same things over and over and they'll probably never get it!

TheTick

LOL...I'm pretty sure I do get it.

You are diverting hp away from the accessories to the wheels. This will result in more acceleration. I'm sure its good for about 5hp. Just so people understand what to expect...thats good for about .05 sec faster in the 1/4 and maybe .03 seconds faster 0-60.

before and after dyno runs would be nice, but I think we all agree that it's not gonna be much more than 5hp to the wheels. Either way..seems like a nice mod if it has no long term negative effects. I'm sure there is a good reason the engineers at nissan made the stock pulley that size.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

One thing to consider is that if you do this mod, and one of your accessories happen to fail (alternator, PS pump, AC compressor) it won't be covered under the factory warranty. I'm not sure if the G uses an electric water pump...if its mechanical, than that's another one. Doesn't seem worth it to me for 5HP...

SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

joe603 wrote:One thing to consider is that if you do this mod, and one of your accessories happen to fail (alternator, PS pump, AC compressor) it won't be covered under the factory warranty. I'm not sure if the G uses an electric water pump...if its mechanical, than that's another one. Doesn't seem worth it to me for 5HP...
It wouldn't be worth it to me, but I'm not trying to squeeze every HP out of the engine....right now. Wouldn't adding a spacer void the warranty on any internal engine component failure? (Asking because I am considering this mod)If you were to have a failure of any kind, wouldn't you remove the mod before taking it to the dealer anyway?

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

I think you are right. I should look into if they have one for 07. I will ask my infiniti service to install it and in that case it won't void the warranty.

It is up to the service department what is covered what isn't. Even the aftermarket stereo can void the warranty.

zozo

SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

talked to another 05 G35 sedan owner today in the parking lot as I left.He walked up to mine by mistake, both are same color.

Infiniti of Charlotte told him that they would warranty CAI or under drive pulleys, only if they put them on and they were Stillen.

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

nice

zozo

Rivalry

Heh, so Stillen is Infiniti approved eh?

Nice!

fatire_mtb
Car: 2004 G35 Coupe 5AT

Mark me down as the next UR Underdrive Pulley owner.

I purchased the pulley the belts and had them installed at Forged Performance here in Marietta.

I couldn't agree with Chad more about this mod now that I have been driving with it for a couple of days. I don't know that I can tell any difference in general HP, but I unquestionably accelerate much quicker now with less lag time between hitting the pedal to the floor and actual acceleration (auto-trans delay - don't know what else to call it).

I also want to sing the praises of Forged Performance. They work on Z's and Gs and without a doubt knows all of the ins and outs of our car. Sharif couldn't be a nicer guy to deal with too. I picked his brain about the pros and cons of the mods that I have already installed and what the next likely mods will be. I will definitely work with Forged Performance on my future mods.
Modified by fatire_mtb at 3:47 PM 1/7/2008

chad1200

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

I gotta make it up there one of these days! I need to test drive a TT or supercharged G to get a feel for how FI is on these cars...and if I want to spend the money.

Andy_V35Sky_350GT
Car: 2003 Nissan Skyline 350GT

Sorry for bringing this thread back to the 1st page, hehe, but I just want to say that I think all the information and opinions here are great and its definately made me consider this mod.

Chad or anyone else with the UR/Stillen underdrive pulley, have any of you guys had your cars before and after dynod? I'd be VERY interested to see the HP/TQ curve to see just how much this mod actually does.

chad1200

nope. i didn't dyno mine until i had all of my mods installed.

BrandAidDesignG35
Car: G35

I'm just following up here... will the pulley kits help with gas mileage... I can swing it past the woman easier...

lol

Cheers

chad1200

than just tell her YES!

honestly.... ANY mod you install will not really increase your gas mileage. the more mods you do the more you've got your foot in it.

technically.... i'm not sure. but if i had to make an educated guess.... i'd say yes. the engine's not working as hard to turn the other pulleys. intake and exhaust will let your car breathe better also possibly improving mileage.

BrandAidDesignG35
Car: G35

I think you're right about the heavy foot thing post mod install... however.. I 've been holdin' er like 100% of the time since I installed my new intake 2 days ago... The old one was filthy, I just bought the car so the intake was first to go,,, after I tinted the windows of course... but I think I'm seeing a definate improvement in mpg... The old

I have gone the cheap way on ebay in the past... I had a good (cheap) distributer, good (cheap) race wires, but the euro tailights leak, and I think the intake was kinda cheap... even with a delivery and total cost of $40 I felt there was room for improvement, I privately bought a nismo exhaust and quality is evident...comparable to ebay knockoffs... IMO

However, In my G quality is a must and I admire you for going ahead and buying new pulleys even though yer buds like oh well.. he should understand...

I will see what's available for the 04 sedan NOW

chad1200

beware of the ebay underdrive pulleys. spend the extra coin and get the unorthodox racing pulley. you can get the hole set but the crank pulley's the one that really counts.

you'll LOVE IT!

ArEs23x
Car: 2006 G35X

funny how this thread always dies and someone always bring it back somehow lol

2mhighside
Car: 06 G35 Coupe MT

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”