Ask me how AWESOME the underdrive pulley crank is!

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
USAF_G35_Guy
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe 6MT

I've got the pulley set and LW flywheel.....my ride rev's like a damn crotchrocket! I love it. My car has about 20kish post mod and I haven't had any problems with the crank....yet. But time will tell. Good luck to all that try it! Tuning ftw!

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

I am sooo on the fence with this mod... I dunno I dunno...

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Don't see a big problem with this mod, if you know the risks.

1. Aftermarket stereo will not have the juice to push a large amp setup with reduced alternator efficiency. I'm having issues right now with the stock pulley!

2. The car could stall at traffic lights...get a new battery, preferably an Optima.

3. You run the risk of damaging your power steering pump, AC compressor, and charging system.

4. If you damage any of your components, the warranty will be void with the pulley installed.

gwoods
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37x
1999 Nissan Altima SE limited 5spd
1992 Miata (soon to be turbo)
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8
2012 Toyota Sequoia Limited

I'll be around just long enough to say I TOLD YOU SO.

We went through the same think on the Hemi club. Crank pulleys came out and everyone was so happy to have 5 hp. Then the crank tone rings started breaking. First the 03's then a few 04's no one with a Hemi is running a under drive pulley. The crank pulley is the size it is to help balance the crank. If you change the size either way your crank is no longer balanced and is wearing.

There is no such thing as free hp and the only safe additional hp you make is buy burning more fuel.

But I'll bow out of this thread I've put in my 2 cents

pae9132
Car: Modified 03 V35

I'm also suprised that this thread is back up....but IMO it is still a great mod...I have to drive 30 minutes to and from work plus everywhere else I drive so I put a lot of miles on my G but I can say that I have had the UR pulley set for maybe 20,000 or so miles and I have not had a single problem with it. My car is NA though. I have never heard anything about it being put on to a FI car though. I still recommend this product!!!

chad1200
Car: 2004 G35 AT Sedan

gwoods....

i've googled my yahoo until my fingers BLED! the pulleys that are causing problems are the cheap ones. the Unorthodox Racing pulleys are excellent. my dealership sells and installs them. i'm willing to bet your hemi group wasn't using the good ones.

it's not the 5hp, either. it dramatically changes the way the car drives. frees up ponies on the low end.

g_whiz.... GO FOR IT!!!!

gwoods
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8

chad1200 wrote:i've googled my yahoo until my fingers BLED!

k@osx71
Car: '04 G35 Sedan DP

googled his yahoo, for some reason that sounds funny....

BigWill
Car: Gone, but not forgotten-2004 G35 Coupe-5AT-Graphite Now-2008 Black Saphire IS 250

k@osx71 wrote:googled his yahoo, for some reason that sounds funny....
I'll bet that tickles!!

Now for MY .02

Reading the intitial offering by Chad smacks of an e-bay seller trying to drum up sales. "my buddy went on ebay and bought me an entire underdrive pulley set..." Did you maybe leave out that he bought it from YOUR auction?

That's just how it struck me. I could be wrong.

If you guys are looking for HP, is it just to beat the next G35 driver on the street? Or do you track your car? If you are street racing, good luck to you and the innocents around you. If you are tracking your car, and you are going to void the warranty anyway, bite the bullet and get an SC or a Turbo. Your underdrive pulley set isn't going to do enough to matter on the track vs the risk to the motor.

2mhighside
Car: 06 G35 Coupe MT

Hey Chad good job on all your research. I have been doing alot of mods to my 06 G35 6mt lately and as soon as i get this turbo in i would like to try out this crank pully. I noticed you are in the DFW area and was wondering who you are using as a performance shop. I just ordered my Turbonetics turbo through Alamo in Arlington and they seem to be very helpfull although i wrench all my own mods its always good to have a backup performance shop. Have you attended any of the Grubbs driving courses they put on at Texas Motorsports Ranch in Cresson. I havent run with them but my best friends run the track out here and is a great way to see what yer car can really do. Cheers!

chad1200

bigwill - yes. you're wrong. if you read a little more you'd see that i took the ebay pulley off and put on an Unorthodox Racing pulley. and you'd also know that it's not the 5 hp it adds, it changes the way the car drives. everyone here knows what a supercharger and a turbo is. not everyone wants to fork out the $$$$. and every little bit of hp DOES count.

2mhighside - i use a shop in Grapevine called Import Car Center. great place. ask for Brett. i'd LOVE to take my car out to the track!!!! i got my car from Grubbs. i'll find out when they're doing another one and go.

BigWill
Car: Gone, but not forgotten-2004 G35 Coupe-5AT-Graphite Now-2008 Black Saphire IS 250

chad1200 wrote:bigwill - yes. you're wrong.
Chad... I stand corrected, and I appologize. I mistook your initial approach. Good to hear that you are enjoying your new mod. The value of the money spent on our cars is really in the pleasure we receive in return.

2mhighside
Car: 06 G35 Coupe MT

Yeah you really should give it a go. I havent been out with the Grubbs group but drop me an email if yer going to be out this way and ill come out. I live in Granbury so i spend alot of time out there. Oh and thanx for the info ill check those guys out. Cheers

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Is that actually a UDP that underdrives the accessories or is it a lightned pully set?

chad1200

bigwill -

2mhighside - sounds like a plan

audtatious - underdrive crank pulley - lighter AND smaller in diameter

g35sedanlover
Car: 03 Infiniti G35 Sedan

For anyone that has done the install them selves, how do you measure the tension in the belts? Also, do you need a pulley puller?

chad1200

mine came off without a puller, i believe. as far as tension goes, not sure. just feel how tight your belts are before you pull them off.

or, have a shop do it. i did. they let me watch, though.

risingson
Car: '04 Infiniti G35

an aftermarket stereo wouldnt cause any problems if you have a cap, right?cuz im planning on getting one of those 13.5" jl audios and the matching amp..both 1000w rms.

chad1200

a cap will definitely help but 1000 watts might be a bit much for an underdrive pulley. 600-800 would be about the max.

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

My question is similar to the ones above. I used to have a BMW and I ended up spending a couple days rewiring my G to accomodate the same stereo. I put in an Alpine head unit, 4 channel Alpine AMP to run the interior speakers, and MTX 1501 class D AMP for the two 12" Xtant Hexagon subs with a 1 farad capacitor to my subwoofer AMP.

I've notice that when i keep the volume between 1-15 of the total 35 i can raise it to, that i have no hiccups at all. When i'm around 20 or so, i've actually felt (gasp) power cut to the engine.

My assumption is: #1) that I'm draining the battery #2) the atlernator cannot keep up

Contemplating a gel cell Optima 800/900 CCAand possibly beefing up the alternator

What is the stock Alternator rated at?What should i have it built to? Does Nissan make another alternator that might be a bolt on for our cars? i.e. the Quest?

gwoods
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8

All that heavy stereo equipment isn't going to make your G any faster?

chad1200

this thread was originally started to discuss the underdrive crank pulley. i would start a new thread to get better answers.

04G356MT
Car: 04 G35 6MT

any new news chad? how is the pully doing? im ording mine after i get back home from xmas and going to have Nissan down the road install it, so ill help you with your feed back once i get it installed. but let me know how yours is doing.

fullvietFX
Car: 2005 G35 Coupe

So the problem here is that the UR pulleys are smaller in diametre? Well Unorthodox Racing makes G35 pulleys that are the same size but much lighter here:http://www.conceptzperformance...0.222

chad1200

it's GRRRRRRRREAT!

i actually had my car's paint fixed at the dealership on Friday and they gave me an 05 loaner and i immediately noticed the complete lack of hp at lower rpms. the car felt very sluggish compared to mine.

again, this is an awesome mod. i love thw way my car drives.

04G356MT

well thats good, ima order mine when i get back from texas for the holidays, look forward to it.

champagneG35
Car: '03 Champagne G35 Coupe 6MT Brembo (sold July 2015), '73 Datsun 240Z,

Ok I've just spent over an hour carefully reading through this thread. I have to say I'm interested in this too and have thought about it before for my 240Z but being it's only driving an alternator it hasn't seemed imperitive to install.

First off I read in here that it's thought the pulley is part of the crankshaft balancing procedure ? This is not true. Unless Infiniti had an aneurysm when designing this engine. The crankshaft is balanced by itself with nothing added to it other than it's own webs, bearing races, etc. Here's a link with a few pictures and a write up to help answer any questions in that reguard.http://www.universal-balancing...e.cfm

The pulleys are balanced as well but not while attached to the crank or any other accessory.

Think about it for a second if you will. If you're building an engine that at idle is spinning usually at a minimum of 700RPMs would you as a manufacture build one of the most important if not the most important part of your engine dependant on an external peice to hold it all together ? The answer you should come up with would be no. The pulley is outside the engine, an after thought if you will, and balanced seperately as it should be. So the only concern here is wether the pulley you put on in lieu of the stock one will still power your accessories adequately and that it is properly balanced so that it does not affect your already balanced crank.

This is why the cheaper ones are having problems because if you take something perfectly balanced and throw something not so perfectly balanced on the end of it then yes overtime you'll see effects from this. As long as the pulley is balanced you should be fine.

One last thing, try to put the HP arguement to rest (the horse has been dead for awhile now ) you are not adding any power what-so-ever to your engine. You are simply taking excess load off the engine freeing up power for the driveline that was previously being taken up to drive accessories, shifting power not adding it . Basically if you took off all your accessories except your alternator you would see an even bigger jump in more useable power, however it'd be REALLY hot in AZ in that car afterwards and REALLY hard to turn the wheels while parking!

chad1200

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

champagneG35 wrote:The pulleys are balanced as well but not while attached to the crank or any other accessory....As long as the pulley is balanced you should be fine.
This is the problem...it's difficult to know if the aftermarket manufacture is selling a truly balanced pulley. I would bet that some of the cheaper e-bay one's are not balanced at all, and could cause damage at high RPMs. Be careful guys!

Now, lets please let this thread DIE!

04G356MT

why let it die if it is still a ongoing concern for those who are getting them shortly... like myself lol

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”