another Noob NA KA tune question, need advice.

A place to discuss the systems and methods of tuning Nissan engines.
pella
Car: 1995 240sx S14

I know that there wont large gains in tuning a basic NA KA setup, so im not expecting the world. But i do want my engine to be running as efficent as possible while utilizing all the power it can make. Im new to tuning, so please bear with me. Actually i have never done any ECU programming. But i do understand the concept, very similar programming concept to what i do at work. My friend does tuning but does not have a ton of experience. I figure we can do it. Boooooooom! LOL. Well hopefully not. Im not gonna boost this car so im left with basic bolt ons. My car is a 95, has S15 front, sittin on 17 inch hyper black rota P45r rims, on stock suspension. So far I have a rebulit KA that has a few bolt on upgrades. I replaced the pistons, bought a remanufactured head, Cometic head gasket, Injen CAI, BRM 2.5 exhaust (I love it) Custom stainless test pipe with AEM wideband UEGO A/F gauge, Z32 fuel filter, Walbro fuel pump. I have been told by some that its time to do a little bit of tunning, but others have said that tuning NA is a waste of time. Also i have some 370cc injectors i can use. I will be using my stock ECU, what do i need to do to the ECU to tune it, hardware wise? Does this setup make sense to tune, is it worth it? What would the gains be? Any help would be awsome. Thanks.....

Promise Land
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

I am also new, but I will tell what I have gained on knowledge. Is your car OBD-I ot OBD-II? I have a '95 and it is OBD-I. The stock ECU is usually tuned by companies like Jim Wolf, Enthalpy, or Nistune. I believe you can by a license for Nistune (~$400) to do all the tuning yourself. The gauge will give you some indication of how you are running, but you need something that datalogs to get the most recoding potential to study the A/F to tune it for best efficiency.

I have seen dyno graphs that people swapping to an AEM stand alone have tuned for 30+ hp on NA. I don't know how possible that is with the stock ECU.

angrypenguin182
Car: 91' Nissan 240sx

if you truly wanna tune then a standalone is probably a good idea

http://www.frsport.com/AEM-30-6610-Seri ... 16895.html

i've decided to hold off on my turbo set up until i can get a stand alone for it

Return to “Engine Tuning”