Alternator mounting

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Maxcruiser
Car: 01 Maxima

After getting this thing in I still had a misfire.
What I found is an intake leak directly below the throttle body.
I did replace valve cover gaskets and intake seals a while back.
I'm finding that the EGR gasket is leaking.
This gasket seals the place the EGR used to be in the previous production. It's just a plate there that the plenum bolts to.
I think this is where the leak is. I did use my stethoscope to confirm this.
This comes after I sealed the air cleaner box with expandable foam then changed the filter.

Any other Maxima owners have this issue?

Maxcruiser
Car: 01 Maxima

I did upload a video and am wondering if this sound is normal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpAfInlPk90

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Well, tappy tap get's a pfft pfft each time. I wish you'd have just held the throttle down to see if I could hear a pffffffffffffffftttttttttt and then focus on that noise. I can't tell much from that.
It does seem and a bit loud. It almost sounds like air gets in from the side of the throttle body, as if the position sensor leaked or a vacuum hose is missing right there. It does not seem like an alternator issue. I'd make a new thread to keep things organized and helpful for others who may search and have similar issues or experience.

NealXu
Car: Nissan Titan XD

Hi..i am a new user here. As per my knowledge there are tools called Cat Claws that are like mini crow bars. Those can be wedged between the block and the alternator and used to pry it out. I understand your concern about cracks. I've yet to see one crack, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I'd be careful not to apply too much force to a focal point.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”