CHATROOM: All Season Replacement Tires

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
mag318
Car: Nissan Rogue

Yesterday I had a set of Hankook H727 Optimos installed after researching many brands. This afternoon I'll put 100 miles on them and see how they feel. So far they are definately quiet and have firm grip. I'll report back after I have some real miles on them.

daytrippr
Car: 2008 Blue AWD SL model Rogue

Mag....we have 5,000 miles on our Hankook's...they drove competantly in 5 inches of snow and run smooth and quiet on our NW Washington crappy concrete interstate. I believe that you have made a good choice.

mag318

Just drove thru my first snow with the Hankooks and you're right, these are great tires. Never thought I'd put Korean tires on a Japanese vehicle but these Optimos are very impressive.

bill875
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Indigo Blue / Premium Package / Fully Loaded

I have also had excellent experience with my Hankook H727's in the snow. Better than the OEM Dunlop's that came on my Rogue. I have no regrets and highly recommend them. Plus I got my rebates from Hankook and Discount Tire with no issues.

zek
Car: 08 Nissan Rogue S FWD Gotham Grey

hey guys,

i've been having issues with one of my tires and was looking to replace 2 of them given that theres still considerable tread on the other tires. it definitely seems like the Hankook Optiomos are the way to go. However I cant find them for my size, P215/70R16 99H.

Anyone know where I might be able to find these tires for that size? discounttire and tirerack didnt have em...

zek
Car: 08 Nissan Rogue S FWD Gotham Grey

townfairtire gave me the following options:

toyo opencountry HT $149 ConsumerReports: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars ... 023398.htm
milestar tire
yokohama geolander - 148.79

i want to stick with my 99H rating because I'm only switching out two tires but that gives me the geolander H/T G033 and those tires seem like junk when compared to the geolander A/T-S under the light and deep snow ratings. The vehicle is currently in boston and will be in maryland soon which sees about 2-4inches of snow per storm. I also dont like that the H/T G033 only has a 200 treadwear rating.

thinking of going with the Toyo, any thoughts?

mag318

Just went over 2000 miles with my new Hankook Optimo H727s and couldn't be happier. I've driver in snow and heavy rain and these tires live up to their Tire Rack reviews. Anyone looking for replacement tires should consider these.

jk47
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
Previous: 2008 Nissan Rogue S AWD

I just got a very large screw in my tire and I'm trying to decide what to do. I'm debating whether to get a new set of tires or just replacing the one.

First, is everyone still happy with the Hankook Optimo H727 and the Yokohama TRZ? Has anyone checked out the Yokohama Envigor yet?

Or, I have about 17k miles on the Contis. Is that too many to just replace the one?

Thanks

bill875

I have over 4,000 miles and am still very happy with the Hankook Optimo H727 I got at Discount Tire. They handle really well in all conditions, plus the ride is much more enjoyable. Also, the Hankooks are considerably quieter than the OEM Dunlop tires were.

I would imagine that 17k mi. would be too many miles to just replace the one as the treadlife of the Contis is not that great, based on what I've read here. I was able to get 55,000 on my Dunlop's and could have gone at least another 5,000, but the road noise was driving me nuts.

daytrippr

jk47 wrote: First, is everyone still happy with the Hankook Optimo H727 ...

Or, I have about 17k miles on the Contis. Is that too many to just replace the one?

Thanks

For me, it would depend on your driving conditions

For us in The Pacific Northwest, we get rainy winters and I NEED tires that will handle very wet road conditions....we also get snow 3-4 times a year and although it doesn't stick around long, we might have 3-6 inches on the road at any one time each winter....if you live in an area with more moderate winters I would probably try to get etended life from the OEM tires. BTW, we have 7,500 miles on out Hankook H727', and just got our first free rotations and rebalancing from Discount tires and I believe these are the best tires that I have ever owned :-)

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

How much thread do you have left on the other tires?
17k miles doesn't mean anything if we don't how you drive.

Do you have a full spare or a donut?

philipa_240sx

Pescakl1 wrote:Do you have a full spare or a donut?
AFIAK, full size spare tires were only available in Canada. And only on models without the cargo organizer.

jk47

Looking at tread depth, using the US coin method it looks like I have 6/32 on the rear tires and around 4-5/32 on the front. The screw is on the front passenger side tire.

I live in PA and we've had some heavy snow storms the last few years so snow performance is important. However it doesn't snow frequently enough for dedicated snow tires. I have no place to store them anyway and the conti's get me around just fine even in the 12-14 inch storms.

I've been leaning towards the Hankooks, especially since they have the $40 rebate.

jk47

Ok, so I ordered the Hankooks. They should be installed on Thursday so I'll put some miles on them over the weekend and post my feedback.

jk47

I had the tires installed on Thursday and drove a lot over the weekend. I didn't have any rain yet but handling is very good and there is less road noise then with the continentals. The price was really good also, $106 USD each from TireRack plus the $40 rebate. Hopefully they are as good in the winter as they seem now.

boooey

What tires do you guys recommend for an all warm weather climate? no snow ever.
Are the Yokohama Avid TRZ (T) rated tire better than an H rated tire for a warm weather climate?

thanks!

psfod3
Car: 08 rogue

I replaced my Cont's at around 70,000 miles. I got Goodyear assurace comfort tred touring from tire rack. My dealer had a account and they were shipped right to my Nissan dealer. The tires are great the price was good and I had the benifit of having the dealer do the installation.

bokito
Car: #Infiniti FX35 AWD '05 DG, Technology/Navigation/Touring/Entertainment
#Nissan Rogue '08 SL AWD

ntwrkd wrote:Just replaced my OEM Conti's at 32,500 miles with Hankook Optimo H727 225/60R/17. The Conti's were terrible. I was looking at the Yoko Avids everyone likes but on Tirerack and ConsumerReports, the Hankook's got rave reviews. Very hard to find a negative review on these tires. The Yoko's did not fare well in the snow and ice categories on CR ratings. We get our fair share of snow here in the Hudson Valley of NY and thats what sealed my decision. They are great tires and I highly recommend them especially if you have to drive in snow. Compare the Avid TRZ and Hankooks on Tirerack. I'll attach a comparison from CR as I am a subscriber..
http://db.tt/6B7vxfi
I have Avid's V4S on the FX35 AWD snow performance is bellow terrible. OMG, i think i would have better traction with bare rim lol. No wonder why TRZ got crap reviews for snow performance.

Also got H727 installed on wifes Rogue.$770 CAD total.
The car ride feels smooth, good handling so far.

boooey

what do you guys think of BFGoodrich Radial T/A's?

philipa_240sx

bokito wrote:No wonder why TRZ got crap reviews for snow performance.
I have the TRZ's and have no experience with them in snow as my Rogue gets a pair Of Nokian Hakkapeliitta's during the winter. :cool:

I do like the TRZ's on both dry and damp pavement though. Very quiet running too.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I just purchased a set of the Hankook Optimo H727 and I couldn't be happier. I found an amazing tire shop that just raved about these tires as their "best of the best" and the grand total for 4 of them was only $730.00 Canadian including all taxes and misc fees. This is a full $100 less than most competitors and they included lifetime free rotations and flat repair - I was surprised that very few shops offered free rotations, balancing and flat repairs anymore. These come with 160,000 km limited warranty, and the price is unbeatable. For comparison I got a quote on Goodyear Assurance Tripletreds at $1050, and Nissan dealer quoted just under $900 for Yokahama Avid TRZ which is not so bad but they refused to include rotations etc. From what I've read the Goodyear TripleTreds are nothing special, Tirerack ratings are far lower than the Hankooks and the Yokohama TRZ.

I too was sold by the extremely high ratings on Tirerack, in particular on ice and snow they absolutely blew all other all-seasons out of the water, and Hankook specificaly markets these for good winter performance. Now before anybody gets excited I know these aren't a substitution for true winter tires, but compared to other all-seasons these should do very well in winter. For comparision, the last 3 winters with my stock Continentals went very well, I felt the traction was excellent and never had any loss of control or close calls (I do drive very conservatively in winter as everybody should).

So far I highly recommend these tires, and will provide an update next spring.

Outdoor14
Car: 2009 Rogue SL AWD 20% tints. Thule roof bike rack. Pilot fog lights.

I had a flat today with a nail on the edge right next to the tire cap too close to plug. I went to Mavis for two Yoko TRZ's. The sales guy said there was to much difference in tire height between stock front Dunlop's and TRZ and I had to sign a wavier to install two and leave two. I chose four new ones and bit the bullet for just under $600.00. The price was less then my quote from tire rack. Car rides good and feels tighter in turns. Go for it! :dblthumb:

IdaCrue
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

Just got a set of the Hankook Optimo 727's on the Rogue yesterday. After reading all the reviews on Tire Rack, Consumers Report, and this forum I decided to ditch the Conti's and go with the 727's (Hankook is also giving a $50 rebate on a set). I did notice the nicer ride immediately, and I hope they are as good on the snow and ice as I think they will be. The tire place ruined one of my TPMS sensors and installed a new one, however I can't get the system to recognize it. I am going back the the tire place today and have that fixed.

IdaCrue
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

The "Universal" TPMS sensor they installed never did work. They ordered and installed an OEM sensor from Nissan. The OEM sensor didn't pickup either, so I took the Rogue to my Nissan dealer and they used one of their "tools" to reset the TPMS system free of charge. The warning light is off now and everything is working fine.

philipa_240sx

IdaCrue wrote:The "Universal" TPMS sensor they installed never did work. They ordered and installed an OEM sensor from Nissan. The OEM sensor didn't pickup either, so I took the Rogue to my Nissan dealer and they used one of their "tools" to reset the TPMS system free of charge. The warning light is off now and everything is working fine.
Idacrue,

That's typical of the Nissan TPMS system. It only works with OEM sensors. You also need the Nissan CONSULT scan tool to program new TPMS sensors into the system. That means a trip to the dealer and paying the diagnostic fee.

daytrippr

This reminds me of my old "Honda" days....there was a special tool for everything ;-)

philipa_240sx

daytrippr wrote:there was a special tool for everything
My wife's Mazda2 is the complete opposite. You can program new TPMS sensors without going to the dealer. It's ridiculously simple too! Why doesn't every mfg do this???

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Off topic - I can't believe your wife got a Mazda 2, my wife loves that car and really wanted to replace her 3 Sport with one, but with 2 kids she went the other direction and got the much larger Sorento. Every time we see a 2, in particular a green one, she gets excited......sorry to get off topic.

bill875

Discount Tire/America's Tire was able to use an in-stock replacement TPMS sensor and their own tool to reprogram the TPMS they broke and replaced free of charge when I got my Hankook's. As usual YMMV.

philipa_240sx

kerrton wrote:Every time we see a 2, in particular a green one, she gets excited......sorry to get off topic.
My wife's car is a Sprited Green Mazda2 with the convenience package. She absolutely loves it.

I enjoy driving it myself, it's quite light (~2400lbs) and very nimble. IMHO Mazda hit a home run with that car.

Return to “Rogue Forum”