CHATROOM: All Season Replacement Tires

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
mlmcgahee
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5s

I'm still loving my Yokohama Avid TRZ's... Great tire for my part of the country.

philipa_240sx

mlmcgahee wrote:I'm still loving my Yokohama Avid TRZ's... Great tire for my part of the country.
Yeah, I'm sitting on the fence here. The new Avid ENVigor is coming out, but everyone is back ordered in sizes that fit the Rogue SL. I may just go with the TRZ instead.

How many miles on them so far?

philipa_240sx

OK, went with the TRZ. Yok has a $70 rebate on 4 tires right now. My cost all in is $714 CDN. Includes install, disposal of old tires, new TPMS valve core & seal, taxes and envoirnmental fees. Once I get the rebate back, it's $644 CDN!

I was considering using our site sponsor Tirerack.com, but they were actually more expensive and do not include mounting. Shipping to Canada is expensive... it's just not cost effective even though the cost per tire is cheaper.

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

I have a question:

All these tires are all-season tires.Since here in Quebec, it is mandatory to have winter tires from Dec 15th to March 15th, we (strangely) don't need all-season tires.

So, with that in mind, what will be a good recommendation on summer tires for the Rogue (all road use, no off road use)?

Even if we decide to keep the winter tires longer (let's say from mid-Nov until mid-April), do we still need all-season tires or summer tires could be OK in this situation?

philipa_240sx

Unfortunately there is no 'summer only' tire available in the OEM Rogue tire sizes. You have to go up/down a size and even then there is only one that will fit the stock 7" rim... barely:

235/55R17

These tires would include:

- Yokohama Advan Sport- Yokohama S. Drive- General Exclaim UHP- Kumho Ecsta SPT- Yokohama Advan S.T. (light truck/SUV)- Dunlop SP Sport 01- Michelin Pilot Primacy

Pescakl1, I am in a similar situation seeing as I run winter tires as well. But I am not willing to give up the quiet smoother ride found in many all seasons. A lot of the summer tires are high performance, somewhat noisy, very stiff, and have poor wear characteristics. There are some that are better in this regards than others though.

My only experience with summer tires has been DOT legal race tires like the Toyo Proxes RA-1, Hoosiers, and Yokohama Advans. The only set of passenger car summer tires I owned were the Yok ES100. They were good tires, but noisy and stiff.

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

OK, I was looking for them mainly for quietness and better fuel economy as they should have less threads in them.

Comfort and wear would have to be the same as all-season tires.

So, from what I understand, summer tires only means performance for tire manufacturers?

mlmcgahee
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5s

philipa_240sx wrote:
Yeah, I'm sitting on the fence here. The new Avid ENVigor is coming out, but everyone is back ordered in sizes that fit the Rogue SL. I may just go with the TRZ instead.

How many miles on them so far?
About 30000 miles so far.. still looking and riding great.

philipa_240sx

Pescakl1 wrote:OK, I was looking for them mainly for quietness and better fuel economy as they should have less threads in them.

Comfort and wear would have to be the same as all-season tires.

So, from what I understand, summer tires only means performance for tire manufacturers?
Basically...

A lot of summer only tires are geared towards sports cars. Low noise, smoothness, and tire life are not their strong points. There many be some exceptions though... look for a summer tire in the 'touring' category... they are aimed towards premium sedans ie. Infiniti, BMW, Mercedes.

Many all season tires still offer the best wear and fuel efficiency. The Yokohama Avid ENVigor looked like a real good candidate... 15% lower rolling resistance, better fuel economy, and low noise. Unfortunately, none of the dealers in my area have stock on the Rogue SL tire size (225/60R17). Yokohama's warehouse has no ETA when they will arrive either.

takeshi
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I'd suggest sticking with all seasons for the Rogue during non-winter months. My S2000, on the other hand, always gets summer tires since it can actually take full advantage of them. Of course, it chews through tires much faster than our Rogue wears out its tires. 20K is really pushing it and I don't recall if that's for the fronts or the rears (rears wear out about twice as fast).
Pescakl1 wrote:So, from what I understand, summer tires only means performance for tire manufacturers?
In a nutshell, yes. Also, you typically don't even want to drive on them if it's 40 degrees or less. They harden and lose quite a bit of traction, IIRC.
Modified by takeshi at 7:46 AM 3/26/2010

philipa_240sx

Another satisfied Yokohama Avid TRZ owner. Just got the tires installed today and was impressed. They are quiet, handle well (they are a touring tire not a race tire so do not expect to tear up the asphalt), and look great.

Another note if you are looking at the TRZ:

The tires have an inner/outer marking but they are non-directional. At first glance, they appear to have a high performance unidirectional tread, but are designed to rotate in either direction. This helps with tire rotation as well... you can now use the forward cross method which promotes more even tire wear:

Move front to rear, then rears cross sides to opposite corners at the front.

You can read up on tire rotation from our site sponsor TireRack:

Note: Disregard patterns A and B as they are meant for 4WD/RWD. AWD Rogue's behave more like FWD vehicles in this regard so use Method C or D.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...id=43

nbguy66
Car: Nissan Rogue SL AWD with leather and tech package - black

Just my luck... I noticed a screw lodged in my right rear stock Conti. And just as I looking for a reason to replace the stock tires with something else. I will be getting a set of Michelin Hydroedge tires. I've read that they're a bit noisy, but they can't be worse than the Contis. Any thoughts?

meitingo
Car: 2008 AWD SL Nissan Rogue

I had put Michelin Hydroedge tires on my PT Cruiser (the car that I traded in for my Rogue) and they were great. Much quiter that the stock Goodyears, handled better and rode much better. Good luck with them and let us know how they work out for you on your Rogue

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I've got 35,000 km on my Rogue and have been getting ready to replace the tires before winter, but the service guys checked them and said they're still "like new", in the 75 to 100% tread category still but unfortunately they didn't include an actual tread depth measurement which is disappointing.

Now I'm starting to wonder if I might actually be able to get a decent lifespan out of these tires, maye I'll be the first to get 60,000 km out of them? We've beat up on these tires pretty bad, maybe I'll be the first to throw a little love their way!!

The only thing that might change my mind is winter, they were great the first two winters I ran them but might not be good for a third. Hey, I have an idea, anybody want to get rid of their near-new stock Conti's with something new, I'll buy the old set off of you, just let me know!!!! :rotfl

philipa_240sx

The Conti's are still junk, even though I got +50,000km out of them.

Buy a set of steel rims and get some Nokian Hakkapeliitta's for the winter. My wife has put 4 winters on hers and I think I can get one more season out of them.

rjchoops
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD

I put on Goodyear TRIPLE TREDS

nbguy66
Car: Nissan Rogue SL AWD with leather and tech package - black

I've been running a set of Michelin Hydroedge tires since April and couldn't be happier. They are excellent in rain, much quieter than the stock Contis, and Consumer Reports #1 tire in both all season and efficiency categories. I am getting excellent mileage, handling and rain performance. Could not be happier.

daytrippr
Car: 2008 Blue AWD SL model Rogue

At just over 50K miles, we have decided to scrap our OEM Dunlops. They still have decent treadlife, but with La Nina coming up this winter, I expect that we will get a snowier winter (6+ inches of snow on the ground at least a few times this winter)

It looks like most of us like the Yokohama Avids, but my research with Tirerack and other sources has me thinking that the Hankook Optimo H727 is superior in almost all areas.

Does anyone have any experience with the Hankooks?

Thanks, Richard

philipa_240sx

daytrippr wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the Hankooks?

Thanks, Richard
I only have Hankook's iPike winter tires and I can't say I'm all that impressed with them. At least compared to the Nokian Hakka's I used to run.

As for the Yok Avid TRZ, they are a great tire. No complaints here.

You should look at the Kumho Solus KH16 as well. My wife has a set on her Mazda and she is quite happy with them.

daytrippr

Thanks Phillip, we have the Kumho's on our Hyundai Accent as OEM and Tirerack rates them right in the middle. Since we didn't have but one 1 inch snow last year I have no idea how they would do with our very moderate snows around here.

Since the Hankook has a 25% road hazard warranty and they are about $100 cheaper than the TRZ I think we will try them out.

hammester
Car: 2010 Wicked Black Nissan Rogue SL with leather and premium packages

Just FYI, discount tire direct has the Avid TRZ for $439 shipped minus a $40 rebate, so basically $400 for four new tires plus installation. You will have to find someone local to install the tires which will run another $40-50 dollars.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... lse&cs=225

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Wow, I can't believe it, UPS shipping to Canada is FREE.

They tack on $160 tariff fees, which brings the "out the door" total to $666.08. I won't be needing tires until next summer but this is definately a site that I will bookmark, other than a $40 dollar rebate this appears to be the regular price.

philipa_240sx

The Yok Avid TRZ were $740 installed out the door (taxes, install, and tire recycling included). There was also an $80 rebate this past spring (Yokohama Performance Event) so the total was $660.

Keep any eye out for those rebates/sales. They happen every spring & fall (for winter tires only).

Buying in the USA seems to be always the same... you get burned at the border with duties and taxes. Add the shipping costs and it's not much of a deal. The only way to really take advantage of it is to drive to the USA, buy your tires, get them installed and drive back.

daytrippr

Thanks for everyone's input. We decided that it was a tosspup between the Avid ENVs and the Hankooks. We are going for the Hankooks, they are top rated by Tirerack and the only reviewers that didn't like them were Honda Oddessy owners, and from what I can see, Oddessy's eat up tires like crazy so I think it's their car that sucks....not the tires.

I will post updates with our experiences.

philipa_240sx

daytrippr wrote:I will post updates with our experiences.
Please do!

daytrippr

Hankook H727 first impressions...75 miles on our new tires...the tires look good, nice deep treads, so much so that I am surprised that our Dunlops stopped us at all. The tires are quiet, even on our extremely bumpy and harsh NW Washington highways. They ride comfortably and track nice and straight. Just a note about Discount Tires....they tried to sell me siping, even though these tires are siped already....glad I did my homework.

philipa_240sx

daytrippr wrote:they tried to sell me siping, even though these tires are siped already....glad I did my homework.
OMG, that's nuts!

Please send these people over who purchased siping for their tires.... I have all kinds of stuff I could sell them! :lolling:

gpsmoucer

Thanks to everyone who's given their expertise on replacement tires. I can't exactly say I'm looking forward to spending $450 on anything... but when its time for new tires I will be happy to make the switch. My biggest gripe with the rogue is road noise, so I am looking forward to putting some new ones on - probably the Hankooks since we deal with several months of snow and ice here.

daytrippr

Hankook 2nd review....We now have almost 300 miles on the tires, during that time we had a pretty intense wind and rain storm...some 30 mph crosswinds, pretty deep puddles of water

How did they handle? They were quite competent. No surprises. They held the road well under wet and windy conditions. Very happy with them so far. I will let you know how they handle some snow....be back after Thanksgiving.

gpsmoucer

daytrippr wrote:Hankook 2nd review....We now have almost 300 miles on the tires, during that time we had a pretty intense wind and rain storm...some 30 mph crosswinds, pretty deep puddles of water

How did they handle? They were quite competent. No surprises. They held the road well under wet and windy conditions. Very happy with them so far. I will let you know how they handle some snow....be back after Thanksgiving.
Is the road noise still very quiet, specifically on those loud, hard stretches of aging interstate with concrete or old asphalt, or in the rain?

I am planning to spray undercoating on my rear wheel wells and any other bear metal floor parts I can access to hopefully deaden road noise and wet road noise. But, I'll hold off if new tires might do the trick.

daytrippr

Is the road noise still very quiet, specifically on those loud, hard stretches of aging interstate with concrete or old asphalt, or in the rain?

They seem to be much quieter overall. But, I did hear that familiar drumming sound from the rear during the heavy rain, due to the lack of underbody insulation in the back. The effect was a net less road noise but the drumming was there nonetheless.

Return to “Rogue Forum”