CHATROOM: All Season Replacement Tires

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Ok, that's about what I expected, but what I don't get is why the system didn't alert me sooner. I thought a drop of three psi was enough to trigger a warning. What also concerns me is the fact that all four tires are almost seven psi lower than the recommended amount. I could understand a loss of pressure in one or perhaps two, but all four at the same time and same amount?

In 30+ years of driving dozens of cars, I've never had anything remotely similar happen.

DTASFAB

Did your area recently experience a drastic drop in ambient temperature? That will cause exactly what you've described. I've never had a car with TPMS before this one, and mine has never alerted me, but it seems to make sense. There has to be an acceptable range of pressure that will not trigger an alert. Apparently, based on what you've written, it's somewhere around 26-27 psi. I'd be curious what the high end threshold is, but there has to be some leeway in both directions. Some people like a softer ride and better traction with less air, while others like the better handling and efficiency of harder tires with more air. There's no law that says you have to always fill to the manufacturer's recommended PSI. As long as you know how to drive and you're aware of how the vehicle handles, it should basically be safe within a set range. It makes sense the lower threshold of this range would be 25-27 psi.

Anyway, all tires lose air over time, even ones filled with (supposedly) 100% nitrogen. The fact that all your tires lost air at about the same rate and the TPMS alerted you on all four of them at the same time simply means your wheels and tires are working properly. Fill them up to 33 or 35 or whatever and forget about it for at least a month. Generally, it's good to check every 1-2 months and at every oil change, especially in the fall and spring when ambient temperatures can change drastically in short periods of time.
Last edited by DTASFAB on Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

It's sounds like your TPMS is working just fine. I think I remember my light coming on once and the tire was at 26 or 27 psi also. That must be the limit set on it by Nissan.

If you do have a problem. Here is a troubleshooting guide from PM.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/ho ... ce/4336449
The rule of thumb is for every 10° Fahrenheit change in air temperature, your tire's inflation pressure will change by about 1 psi (up with higher temperatures and down with lower).
Did you temp drop by 50

darylzero

DTASFAB

darylzero wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKBMLADqncU[/youtube]
I hate this crap. It's just garbage that will cost money to fix when it breaks. The best "tire pressure monitoring system" on the market is a $5 air pressure gauge. Why didn't I buy a used Crown Vic instead?

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Thanks guys. Yes there was a sudden dip in temp today. I know the psi numbers are just recommended, not set in stone, but I could've sworn the trigger point was set at +/-3 psi. So if they had initially been at 30psi then it is working correctly. I was thrown by the fact that all four had lost the same amount, just never had this happen before.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

So I drug out my compressor and inflated all four tires to 32.5 psi. Drove a mile down the road and the system reset itself.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I thought I give some insight into the all season replacement tires sweepstakes. After reading this thread a few dozen times to prepare for the day when I needed to finally change my OEM tires, well that time has come folks at 55,000 miles. The other day I saw the threading of my tire being exposed if that's the correct way to say it. Moreover, the wear indicators showed that it was even with the grooves. It was a gift that my car even passed inspection last August.

Anyways, I was 110% dead-set in getting the Hankook Optimo 727's, but I had a difficult time finding it at a local store. Of course I could get it online but I rather go to a local area tire store and do everything at once. So I browsed the websites for my local tire stores and it seems that they don't carry the particular size of 225/60/R17 or don't have it in stock at the moment. The store was offering a $40 rebate all the way up to an $80 rebate if you apply for a credit card on the Hankooks. Hence, I was leaning on these tires a lot.

I also thought about getting the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread but yet again, the local stores did not have the right size. This goes the same with Michelin Hydroedge, I just can't seem to find that size in my area. Mind you, I did not look all over like crazy, just the few tire shops (Big Brand Shops) down the street because I didn't have the most time to look while babysitting my kids.

While researching, I came across the Nitto NT421Q. It seems to be a new tire specially made for crossovers and SUV's. Even though my initial goal for a tire was treadlife and the 100,000 Hankooks were in my alley. I started to like the idea of this tire. They also market this as a high-performance tire which is V-rated which is cool since now I don't have to worry about driving at high speeds. Note I am not a speeder, I am more of a eco-driver trying to get the most miles but drive fast when everyone else is to stay safe.(NJ turnpike for instance) Moreover, there is a special promo of buy 3 get 1 free.

So I just thought I stop by the tire store and order it in person since it says on their website that it is not in-stock. A lady in front of me was offered by the sales guy that he could grab a tire she wanted at the warehouse. Cool, I wanted to do the same with the Nitto's.

Good news, the sale guy says they have the tires stocked at another store. Even though I was not in a rush, they said I could have the tires installed later in the afternoon but then he gives me an estimate, it came to over $800. HUH? ANd the promo is for a Black Friday sale for a few days. I then find out they were trying to add an extra 3 year program of rotations, balancing, insurance etc. I told him I have a place to balance and rotate my car and I didn't need that, but he tries to say its part of the deal.

So I said, umm. can I order the Hankooks and get the promo $40 rebate? The sales guy tells me that they don't carry that model in-store or warehouse. So I ask, why is it in your website?

After a few moments, he takes out a paper to make sure what the promo is and then tells me he want to be fair and make sure I really didn't have to get the extra service there and he seems to finally agree I can get the Nitto tires only. So instead of paying over $800 I end up paying a little over $500 after taxes and disposal fees etc.

The point of this whole story? I would suggest Rogue owners take a look at the Nitto's, they seem to be quiet and give a smooth ride while offering performance qualities. Even though I have not driven over 45 mph yet on them and only owned them a few hours it shows great promise.

Personally any new tire is better than a worn tire. Just get anything that makes you happy is my advice.

At first I wanted performance but the prices were too high, then I wanted longer treadwear, but I did not have any luck finding the right size in my case. So I was lucky to bump into the Nitto's. Research them too so you can see if these are your type of tires too.

One thing about research, it seems outside this thread, people complain about the Hankooks as being noisy and the Michelins or goodyears of having a harder ride because of it's firmness. I probably still bought these tires if I could have found them or if it was available in the size in my area. I just wanted new tires.

Anyways, thumbs up for the NItto's. :bigthumb:

Igg

Casper, thanks for your feedback,

Nitto looks like a good deal.

Its time for my baby to get new shoes also, at 56k miles :(

casperfun

No problem. The rogue barely qualified in the size requirements because 225/60R17 is the smallest tire they offer for the NT421Q's. I didn't have a chance to say this on my last post since it would not let me edit but the Nitto's have a 75,000 mile treadwear warranty. I know that may not mean much since it's only compared to their own line but I was happy with the 55k I got with the OEM conti's. Moreover, it's between the 55K Conti's and the 100,000 Hankooks so that's not too bad. It is also an XL tire for people who like towing and with the stronger sidewalls it protects you if you tend to hit curbs by mistake at times. The tread is kind of weird looking but who really stares at that from afar as long as this innovation produces positive results than I don't mind. They also have intelligent wear indicators. It's fairly new on the review side but Nitto's are known in the tuner & Trucker Crowd and were absorbed by Toyo Tire Comapny. I know some Roguers are into performance, even though the Rogue is not, you can have some nice performance-type tires at an affordable cost.

So if I had to do it over again, I would go with the Hankooks 727, Michelin Hydroedge, Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread for Long Treadwear and hopefully comfort. And for Performance ( ultra-high performance actually) I go with the NItto NT421Q. I also read that the Yokohama Geolander A/T-S would be a good tire to look at too. These are great all-season tires to think about! :)

Igg

How is the Nitto so far in terms of road noise? That's my #1 concern/complaint with the rogue.

casperfun

Road noise? That's funny because last night I was trying to listen to the tires and they seem quiet to me but I was in a shopping center parking lot, I have not really driven above 45 much this holiday weekend. I am just happy that the noise in the trunk when it rains is not as bad or I am just use to it, or perhaps old age. Honestly, growing up I never really considered tire noise. Only time I am aware of it is when a big jack-up truck or Jeep drives by then you an hear that rumbling.

Plus, noise is very subjective, my quiet may not be your quiet. I never really quite scrutinize tire noise until I started reading the forums. I always accepted tire noise if any as being part of the overall whole car experience. I kind of actually tune out the road noise from tires since I am more aware of the engine noise or I tend to listen to that if anything when pertaining to car noise attributes. Okay I am sounding like a auto nerd. I just been admiring the looks mainly. Seems more beefy looking or maybe I want it to seem that way.

Anyways, I love the tire so far. Seems to handle very well on turns and has a nice grip ( I can hear it stick ). But then again I would say that with any new tire. :naughty:

As long as you get what makes you happy, then that's all that matters. Which is why we're here learning new things. Just get it now if your tires are worn out like mine. Better to stay safe. :dblthumb:

darylzero

My Conti's lasted 45,000 miles. I got my new tires from Tire Rack just over a month ago. I wanted to put some mileage on them before reviewing them.

I got the Firestone Precision Touring. I now have just over a 1000 miles on them. So obviously new tires are always going to "feel" better since there is plenty of tread as opposed to your old tires. On dry roads these are amazing. They really grab the road especially when turning. The noise is very low (so far at least). It has rained twice and both times I sped up on an empty road and hit the brakes and there was no slipping/skidding/ or bouncing; performed very well. Don't know about snow yet, soon enough I'm sure.

Now the bad part. I have waited the 1000 miles to see if the tires will firm up more or whatever because my MPG has gone down! Now these tires are almost exactly same in every way with the OEM's except that the tread depth is 11/32 instead of the oem 10/32 and it's 1 lb heavier (and the revs per mile is 1 more on the Firestone). Highway driving on the old worn out tires I could get up to 30mpg, more realistically though would usually be around 27-28mpg. Now it's more like 25mpg. Oddly enough with the old tires city driving i would get about 19mpg, with the Firestone I get about 21mpg :crazy:

The warranty is 70,000 miles. They also come with a 30 day guarantee where you can return them for a full refund. I was about to do that because of the mpg, but everything else just out weighted that decision.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Just curious as to how the new Firestone's compare to your old Conti's? On the whole are they an improvement? As for the milage, l was tempted to mention that gas stations should have switched over to their winter blend, but that doesn't explain why your city milage went up. Kinda weird.

darylzero

Rogue One wrote:Just curious as to how the new Firestone's compare to your old Conti's? On the whole are they an improvement? As for the milage, l was tempted to mention that gas stations should have switched over to their winter blend, but that doesn't explain why your city milage went up. Kinda weird.
On the whole they are definitely better than the Conti's. It's also kind of hard to remember what the Conti's felt like when I got the car.
I thought about the winter blend also, but it was happening right when I got the tires put on and still should of been a summer blend. I went back to tireracks site and the latest review does say that they lost some mpg also.

Jostudly
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue

Well I just got 60000kms on my stock contis and just had my Michelin LTX M/S that I bought in 2011 installed on my 09 Rogue S. The mechanic at Costco told me they should be a H rated tire and these are S rated which are softer. Not sure if these were the only Michelin's available in 2011 when I got them but I just checked the Michelin website and I get zero results for tires for my Rogue. I hope these tires will last as long as a H rated tire. He said it was more for speed but I don't use my Rogue for speed anyways as its not a sports car.

DTASFAB

The walls of the tire are softer, making for a squishier, softer ride. The rubber compound may actually be harder, depending on the tire. This combination makes for worse handling and traction at high speeds, especially in slippery conditions. Just drive like a little old lady in the rain and you'll be fine. But a harder compound extends tread life.

Also, some tire manufacturers (or maybe all, I'm not sure) will void the warranty on the tires if they're used on a vehicle that calls for a higher speed rating. But since your tires were purchased 3 years ago and likely manufactured about 4 years ago, I wouldn't worry about voiding any warranty.

darylzero

Colorado_Al
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S AWD

Has anyone tried the Cooper Discoverer HTP? I was able to buy a set or 215/70R16 for my 08 Rogue S AWD for $396 delivered from discounttiredirect.com

Here's some info on them. T rated
http://www.discounttire.com/infocooperd ... erhtp.html

They had a review score of 8.7 and many AWD crossover owners rated them highly.
Anyhow, on Wednesday I'm getting them mounted. I'll let you know how they are.

Colorado_Al
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S AWD

Wow! The Cooper Discoverer HTP tires are so much quieter than the tires that were on the vehicle before. I'm not sure that it is a fair comparison, as the rear pair of the previous tires were worn to the wear bars. I just bought this 08 Rogue S AWD and I'm very pleased that new tires have reduced the road noise so dramatically. They are so much quieter that I can hear the CVT very clearly now. I think I'm going to take it in and have a the CVT diagnostic done on it to make sure that the sounds I am hearing now are normal.
Anyhow, so far so good on the Cooper Discoverer HTP.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

just installed Goodyear Assurance Touring 225/60/17. $111.00 each(shipped) from DiscountTireDirect.com
pretty quiet, and soft-feeling.

Xadion
Car: 2012 Nissan Quest SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL

Hello all! Just got the wife a 2012 Nissan Rogue SL - fully loaded- the around view camera is insane... anywho... she promptly got 3 screws in the passenger front and rear tire... the front had 1 and was "too close" to the start of the edge for the dealership to fix, and the other had 2 and far apart so it would need 2 patches and they will only patch a tire once...

So I took em home and plugged all three, did the bubble test, drove it- had it at 60+ for a cruise and it seems well...but never should you trust a plug for any amount of time.

Looking to get her a set of these coopers- any thoughts? and what are any alternative sizes to the stock 225/55/18? as they apparently are "rare" and no one has them in stock - not even my Nissan dealer.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... =18&cs=225

Thanks!

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Xadion wrote:Looking to get her a set of these coopers- any thoughts? and what are any alternative sizes to the stock 225/55/18? as they apparently are "rare" and no one has them in stock - not even my Nissan dealer.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... =18&cs=225

Thanks!
i bought my 2008 rogue used, and it had 2 hardly used coopers on it. they were so freaking loud, that i simply hated driving. furthermore they didnt wear flat. they wore out in a rounded shape. and i know it wasnt the tire pressures, as i am on top of that. i think the edges simply were not made as well as the center. poor design? inferior parts? who knows.

i would avoid that brand to be honest. i hate to paint a whole brand with a broad brush, but honestly.... those tired sucked the whole time. they lasted about 40k, (idk what their warranty was) which is decent, but they were really loud... probably due to being so hard.

ithinksgreen

Last edited by ithinksgreen on Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ithinksgreen

Hi Guys,

My oem dunlop tires wore out flat on outer edges, it has 38 K miles on it. I had all the tire rotations, alignments and pressure checks regularly.

Does anybody know what is the warranty on them? should i contact dunlop?

bubba2613
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue S

I am looking for tires for my 2011 Rogue S tire size: 215/70/16 H UTQG 360 A/A. Reading through this forum have been very helpful and educational. I am looking to replace my Continental 4 x 4 tires. I narrowed it down to Michelin Latitude Tour which is 215/70/16 T UTQG: 720 A/B. This is below OEM recommendations. This is a much harder tire than I had before with a lower speed rating. From what I read on this forum, no one seems to have a problem with tires that have a lower speed rating. I have had 2 shops in the area refuse to put them on my vehicle. Their explanation is this is a harder tire with a lower speed rating which may affect the handling and cause my vehicle to not grip the road possibly causing an accident. Has anyone had any experience with this particular tire? What has been your experience with a lower rated tire? Are these shops just covering themselves from possible lawsuits or should I be concerned using these tires?

bill875
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Indigo Blue / Premium Package / Fully Loaded

Back on 11/6/2010 at 56,412 Mi, I purchased 4 Hankook H727's to replace my stock Dunlop Grandtrek ST20's on my '08 Rogue SL AWD. They've performed really well in all seasons, but have been, as expected, a bit on the loud side.

Today, at 101,729 Mi., I went in to Discount Tire for a rotation and balance and was told that my Hankook's are at a tread depth of 4/4 (Rear) & 5/5 (Front), which seems lower than I expected. I'm concerned that at 45,317 miles, the wear is quite high for a 12/32 tire with a 100,000Mi warranty. I do not drive aggressively, more like an old man LOL. I'll be lucky to get another 7,500 miles on these tires before they are at 3/32. I never expected to get to 100,000 Mi on these tires, but I was hoping for at least 70 to 75,000 Mi. treadlife.

Are my expectations too high? I've rotated the H727's religiously, so I'm hopeful Discount Tire will honor any remaining pro-rated warranty toward a new set of tires. What have other H727 owner's experiences been?

ithinksgreen

Hi guys,

Has anybody put on the pirelli's on rogue, I am looking to replace my Dunlop oem's with Pirelli cinturato p7 all season tires? Please share your views

ithinksgreen

Guys,

what is the consensus on which tires to go for?

walt227
Car: 2011 rogue sv awd

Lots of good opinions for the optima H727 but local dealer has the optima H724's for $129. Wondering how the 727's and 724's would compare?

Return to “Rogue Forum”