Akebono upgrade on the cheap!!

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
austin713
Car: 2011 M37

Just pulled the trigger on this to replace my front rotors pads and calipers with the akebono kit from the sport model. below is what i ordered and price breakdown. no tax and free shipping made the deal even better.

https://www.autoanything.com/brakes/pow ... brake-kits KOE2915 front brake kit for sport brakes Price matched with amazon at $143

https://www.autoanything.com/brakes/pow ... brake-kits power stop reman front caliper L6232 left and L6233 right -$220 total.

https://conceptzperformance.com/technaf ... _13378.php banjo bolts for calipers- $14 shipped.

i also chatted with the autoanything rep and they said the core charge of $45 each applies to our stock calipers, so we will get that refund when we return the stock non sport calipers bringing the grand total to $287 for a complete front brake conversion.

im planning on sanding the calipers as they are just a shot peened finish with no paint on them and hitting them with some high temp silver paint to protect and dress them up. i figured i would share if anyone else was on the fence for doing this or needed new brakes.

ca18det_boy

The core charge is supposed to be for the caliper that you buy, not just any caliper you want to send in. Way to be honest.....

austin713
Car: 2011 M37

ca18det_boy wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:28 am
The core charge is supposed to be for the caliper that you buy, not just any caliper you want to send in. Way to be honest.....
I specifically asked him if they would accept my non sport calipers as these were replacing on a non sport model and the rep said should not be an issue. so i was honest.

EdBwoy

Thanks for sharing that info.

DHCrocks
Car: 2012 M56S
2004 G35 Coupe

You might be missing some parts. I think you also need to get new caliper brackets, and dust shield....there maybe more.

Shanehsmp
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35x - Sold
2012 Infiniti M56x
2016 Infiniti QX70s

austin713 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:33 am
ca18det_boy wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:28 am
I specifically asked him if they would accept my non sport calipers as these were replacing on a non sport model and the rep said should not be an issue. so i was honest.
I got mine from Jegs for less than 300 USD; I believe they made a mistake with the listing and didn't request the cores. However, from my understanding - you can send in your non-sport brakes and it will still count as a core. Many have reported doing so in the Facebook group.

vicfelix1
Car: Infiniti M37
Infiniti FX 45
Infiniti G35

austin713 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:45 am
Just pulled the trigger on this to replace my front rotors pads and calipers with the akebono kit from the sport model. below is what i ordered and price breakdown. no tax and free shipping made the deal even better.

https://www.autoanything.com/brakes/pow ... brake-kits KOE2915 front brake kit for sport brakes Price matched with amazon at $143

https://www.autoanything.com/brakes/pow ... brake-kits power stop reman front caliper L6232 left and L6233 right -$220 total.

https://conceptzperformance.com/technaf ... _13378.php banjo bolts for calipers- $14 shipped.

i also chatted with the autoanything rep and they said the core charge of $45 each applies to our stock calipers, so we will get that refund when we return the stock non sport calipers bringing the grand total to $287 for a complete front brake conversion.

im planning on sanding the calipers as they are just a shot peened finish with no paint on them and hitting them with some high temp silver paint to protect and dress them up. i figured i would share if anyone else was on the fence for doing this or needed new brakes.
Hey Austin713, Thanks for post! I have an M37 2012 Stock RWD, bought it used about 2k miles/ 7 months ago. Car was impeccable. I'm thinking about using your link for the Powerstop Rotors and Brakes. Same issue here, slight squealing and only have 71k miles. Pads looked great when I bought it, but the squealing is more noticeable now, must be the OEM rotors everyone talks about.

Are the powerstop brakes working out well for you? Do you know if the stock calipers work with these pads? I know you returned your stock calipers and used the akebonos, I'm just wanting to buy the full 4 set with just rotors and pads. Any info is appreciated!

Yoda's Master
Car: 2012 M56
2009 370z

vicfelix1 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:30 am
austin713 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:45 am

Hey Austin713, Thanks for post! I have an M37 2012 Stock RWD, bought it used about 2k miles/ 7 months ago. Car was impeccable. I'm thinking about using your link for the Powerstop Rotors and Brakes. Same issue here, slight squealing and only have 71k miles. Pads looked great when I bought it, but the squealing is more noticeable now, must be the OEM rotors everyone talks about.

Are the powerstop brakes working out well for you? Do you know if the stock calipers work with these pads? I know you returned your stock calipers and used the akebonos, I'm just wanting to buy the full 4 set with just rotors and pads. Any info is appreciated!
So are you looking for replacement rotors and pads or are you looking at upgrading your caliper to the sports calipers?

vicfelix1
Infiniti FX 45
Infiniti G35

Replacing rotors/pads. I just want to get rid of the squeak. My pads look fine, but the pads seem to never have been properly bedded, and all the transfer material is still stuck on rotors. Don't want to resurface them, doesn't make financial sense at the cost, might as sell replace for the cost and hassle. Just wondering if you remember if they fit.

Yoda's Master
2009 370z

vicfelix1 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:39 am
Replacing rotors/pads. I just want to get rid of the squeak. My pads look fine, but the pads seem to never have been properly bedded, and all the transfer material is still stuck on rotors. Don't want to resurface them, doesn't make financial sense at the cost, might as sell replace for the cost and hassle. Just wondering if you remember if they fit.
I just greased the contact points between the pads and rotors and the squeaks stopped for me.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yoda's Master wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:19 pm
I just greased the contact points between the pads and rotors and the squeaks stopped for me.
Good advice. The biggest cause of replacement pads squeaking is people not greasing the pad "shoulders", the tabs at the ends of each pad that fit into the the slider channels. Pads don't just move laterally into the rotor when applied, they also try to move diametrically with the rotation and to rotate in place. The mechanism of course resists both, but grease on the shoulders acts to cushion and damp the tiny movements on both of those axes, preventing them from turning into vibration and screeches.

vicfelix1
Infiniti FX 45
Infiniti G35

I'm aware, thanks for the reminder. I'd just read that the oem rotors are notorious for warping. Since the rotors need resurfacing I thought of fixing the issue instead of throwing them on and off with resurfacing hassle. Thanks for info!

Yoda's Master
2009 370z

vicfelix1 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:32 pm
I'm aware, thanks for the reminder. I'd just read that the oem rotors are notorious for warping. Since the rotors need resurfacing I thought of fixing the issue instead of throwing them on and off with resurfacing hassle. Thanks for info!
NP. It's a cheap and easy thing to try first since nissan/infiniti doesn't grease the contact surfaces. both my cars had no grease on the bearing surfaces, even though the service manuals tells them to grease it. :wtf2:

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”