AIV Repair/Removal, sticky?

Troubleshooting, DIY's, How-To's and articles about all Nissan vehicles. Non-vehicle specific "General" How-To and tech information is also here.
GroundZero

well i just solved my rough/sketchy idle problem, if yall haven't done this yet or it's been a while since you have try cleaning and resurfacing your battery terminals and clamps. after warming up my idle would sit at 750 for a little bit then sit at 700 for a few seconds drop to 600 then pop back up to 700 so on and so forth, the needle would also shake constantly. now the needle sits at 700 perfectly it doesn't shake or anything, so if your idle seems rough like mine did check your terminals.

i2ice4m3
Car: COUNTERSTRIKE!

p00t wrote:OK guys i got the car inspected recently here in NJ with the AIV removed, passed with flying colors. everything was real good, except my NOx was 1033, failing was 1045 that was the worst, everything else passed perfectly!

I'm glad you passed. What things do they test for in NJ? in cali theres readings for CO2 (i think), CO, and HCs. What is NOx? nitrogen monoxide??

Chingon

well the damn thing happened again........I guess I'll try the catalytic converter thing.

Chingon

Me and my brother tried removing the catalytic converter but we only removed one of the nuts that holds it to the headers before we gave up, the other two nuts were freaking hard to get to and we just couldn't do it with the tools we had. We'll try to diagnose tomorrow or do something........

Assmunke

correct me if im wrong, but cant you just plug up the hose leading into the intake from the AIV to prevent exhuast from getting in there? i mean my hose falls off already and i dont have a cat so i dont need the thing.

GroundZero

then the aiv would just be sitting in your engine bay doing nothing, why not remove it to make the engine bay look better and make it easier to work in that area

Chingon

I had the car diagnosed and the computer said the MAF and the pick-up coil were bad, I removed the MAF and it is very clean so maybe its the electrical part that is ****ed, does anyone know if it is safe to remove the little plastic rectangle in the MAF? I suppose more electric components are beneath it. I really wanted to do the catalytic converter removal but it was pretty hard, maybe another time, do you know the size of the pipe that is needed to replace the cat ground zero, can it be straight or does it need to bend a little?thanks

GroundZero

DO NOT TAKE THE BLACK BOX OFF THE MAF, you'll break the sensor wires, i'd just get some electrical connector cleaner spray it in the connectors for the maf and spray it in the little hole where those little metal wires are, if that doesn't fix it then you need a new maf. actually there is a test pipe on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...42610 but if i were you i'd just gut the cat and reinstall it, it's free and does the same thing as a test pipe

Chingon

the technitian guy that performed the computer inspection said that the pick-up coil was the cause of small explosions that can be felt when you reach 2krpms and above, I don't know how to explain it other than very subtle little explosions that happen about every second, you actually have to try and feel them to notice them, is there a way to fix or clean a pick-up coil? is it hard to remove?

I cleaned the MAF with connector cleaner spray like you suggested groundzero, we went ahead and unplugged every little electrical connection we found and sprayed them too.

i2ice4m3

small explosions= knock?

Chingon

I don't know the technitians said the little explosions are caused by the pick-up coil.

Do you guys know if the ignition coil is the same as the pick-up coil? and if not is the pick-up coil the same as the main coil?

JimmyJ

thanks guys for the help on the AIV and how to find it/replace it and so on.

My 89 240sx is idling like a slug and stalls when cold. I also get the hesitation at around 80-105km/h when im putting my foot into it.

Im goign to try the fix on wednesday and ill post and see if it fixes the problem. I think im goign to clean and check battery terminals too although i doubt that would be the problem....just incase though.

GroundZero

well you'd be surprised how many problems a quirk in the electrical system can cause

JimmyJ

Okay i performed the AIV complete removal from my vehicle. I disconnected the battery also to reset the computer to make sure everything (if it works) runs correctly.

So far the hesititation seems to have disappeared at the speeds i mentioned before.

What remains is that the Idle is still lumpy and stalls when cold.

HELP.:help

jdf240

anyone notice a bad smell from the cat after doing this? mine smells now even when it's warmed up.

Touchdown038
Car: Computers, cars, sports

jdf240 wrote:anyone notice a bad smell from the cat after doing this? mine smells now even when it's warmed up.

Haha, sounds like it's time to get your cat replaced. Mine's acting just fine. However, it seems I've picked up a backfire every now and then, so I'm wondering if this is the cause.

jdf240

with the aiv on the cat doesn't smell. do you still think it might be the cat?

GroundZero

yeah it's just your cat, my cutlass's catalytic wreaked this awful stench that smelled like rotting onions. a week after that the car was undriveable because the cat was clogged. we replaced it, and the car drove fine again, and no more stench

Dragon240

<joke> Well I removed my stock cat, captured one of the neighbors cats and stuck it in the header pipe head first. After fighting with the thing I was finally able to zip tie the cat in place and stuck the tail in the back side of the exhaust. However, this new cat didn't help, now there is a REALLY bad smell once the car warms up. At first there were some really odd noises coming from under the car as well but those seem to have stopped. </joke>

Touchdown038
Car: Computers, cars, sports

Dragon240 wrote:<joke> Well I removed my stock cat, captured one of the neighbors cats and stuck it in the header pipe head first. After fighting with the thing I was finally able to zip tie the cat in place and stuck the tail in the back side of the exhaust. However, this new cat didn't help, now there is a REALLY bad smell once the car warms up. At first there were some really odd noises coming from under the car as well but those seem to have stopped. </joke>

That's horrible... but funny. :)

Sweet S13

Does anyone know the size of the hoses you need to plug up, it would help a lot of us out when finding bolts and such to plug em.

Thanks.

GroundZero

i saw in another thread that the aiv hole is 18mm

Chingon

do you get any kind of hp gain or smoother throttle response from removing your cat, like 2hp at least?

GroundZero

well on normal aspirated cars removing the cat will give you more high end horsepower but you'll also lose low end torque. on turbocharged cars removing the cat can give you large amounts of horsepower

allthrottlenobottle
Car: 91 s13

Jimmy you might want to also perform a no load and load test on your batt ground system. Mine was horrible and a new ground cable made a huge diff.

Anyone know the size of the aiv plug on the exhaust manifold? I heard it was maybe an 18 mm. Can anyone confirm this. Its a 91 ka24de.

Has anyone tried a differential oil plug bolt to block this hole in the exhaust system?

i2ice4m3

why dont you just try different nuts and bolts? couldnt take more than 2 minutes. maybe try one of those ruler things to measure it. they help you know.

i2ice4m3

why dont you just try different nuts and bolts? couldnt take more than 2 minutes. maybe try one of those ruler things to measure it. they help you know.

JimmyJ

I have a feeling that im looking at a vaccum leak on the vehicle, im going to spray it down tonight and see whats going on there. Seems the hesitation is getting worse and its still idling pretty lumpy. Does anyone know of any head gasket recalls or anything on the KA engine for an 89? anyonw know where i could find out online for recalls? thanks.

oh and finding bolts and screws was a piece of cake for the tubes. The bigger tube was about an inch wide i used a tube plug for the bigger one and screws for the smaller hoses. The hole from the airbox i plugged with a plastic cap and some of the hose that was left over. I havent noticed much. I took my resignator out at the same time, i seem to have maybe gained a slight top end but with the hesitation right now im not getting 100% from the car so i cant really comment.

JimmyJ

okay sprayed the engine down, no leaks...moving to the Throttle positioning sensor as its my last resort to this idle problem....anyone else ever reset the TPS or replaced this because of a bad idle? All i can think of, the battery terminals are fine.

Dragon240

Will spraying the engine (With water?) expose a vacuum leak?

Return to “Nissan Articles”