Advice for prospective M buyer? (currently have a G)

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Frog
Car: 2011 M56s

Basically if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail it's going to require a repaint. U can only remove so much of the clear coat. And if the clear coat has to be removed to get down to the depth of the scratch, don't buy it. Once the clear coats gone it won't last long.

mrnix
Car: Currently 2012 M37X, Malbec Black
Formerly 2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Frog wrote:Basically if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail it's going to require a repaint. U can only remove so much of the clear coat. And if the clear coat has to be removed to get down to the depth of the scratch, don't buy it. Once the clear coats gone it won't last long.
Thanks for the info. That sucks.

Frog
Car: 2011 M56s

Watch this. There are I think 3 parts to this clip.

It's a car that's been keyed

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v5QAjWbx03s

mikedamageinc
Car: 2012 M37x Touring
1999 Camaro SS
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser
2008 Yukon Denali

I went from an 06 g35x to a 12 m37x and it has a very familiar feel, it's the same car just bigger and better in so many ways. 2013 is the year you can get awd and sport. After the q change the steering is electric and terrible. Just like any car check the available packages to get what you want. For me premium and touring was perfect. I would have liked a sport but they were over my budget at the time and I couldn't wait for them to come down. Some like the tech package but to me it's more stuff to break. If you kow what to look for don't waste money on a certified preowned.

They fixed a lot of the little things like turn off auto seat move, memory seats now include side mirrors, the cruise control is a lot more smooth, other little things I can't think of right now.

M37xfan
Car: Traded in 2012 Infiniti M37x

Thank you for the pics.....I wouldn't be able to deal with those scratches..but that is my opinion. I guess if you can get a good deal on the vehicle it may be worth getting the scratches repaired???

mrnix

M37xfan wrote:Thank you for the pics.....I wouldn't be able to deal with those scratches..but that is my opinion. I guess if you can get a good deal on the vehicle it may be worth getting the scratches repaired???
Dealer said his body shop guy looked it over and thinks he can buff them out, but that they will repair to my satisfaction if we strike a deal. I don't think they are quite as deep as the ones in the YouTube video a few posts up in this thread.
I met with dealer last night and we talked $$, as I left, we were $1500 apart from what I offered and what he was allegedly willing to go down to.

mrnix

mikedamageinc wrote:I went from an 06 g35x to a 12 m37x and it has a very familiar feel, it's the same car just bigger and better in so many ways. 2013 is the year you can get awd and sport. After the q change the steering is electric and terrible. Just like any car check the available packages to get what you want. For me premium and touring was perfect. I would have liked a sport but they were over my budget at the time and I couldn't wait for them to come down. Some like the tech package but to me it's more stuff to break. If you kow what to look for don't waste money on a certified preowned.

They fixed a lot of the little things like turn off auto seat move, memory seats now include side mirrors, the cruise control is a lot more smooth, other little things I can't think of right now.
Good info. Thanks. I don't need the sport mkdel, but I think premium and touring would be what I'd like as well. Don't need the blind spot monitoring or lane departure, but I would like the 16 speaker stereo, unfortunately those are hard to find.

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

mrnix wrote:
M37xfan wrote:...they will repair [the scratches] to my satisfaction if we strike a deal.
Better get that in writing if you go this route. Also make sure you both agree on a time frame for the fixes to be completed. I am too picky over my paint and would have to pass in this situation.

mikedamageinc
Car: 2012 M37x Touring
1999 Camaro SS
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser
2008 Yukon Denali

mrnix wrote: Good info. Thanks. I don't need the sport mkdel, but I think premium and touring would be what I'd like as well. Don't need the blind spot monitoring or lane departure, but I would like the 16 speaker stereo, unfortunately those are hard to find.
Yea I don't care for the tech aids, but the prem/tour was pretty common when I was recently shopping and it comes with the 16 speaker bose, softer leather seats, heated steering wheel (never thought I would care but it so nice when its cold out!), forest air, rear sun shade...

As far as the sport package, I had trouble with always warping rotors on my G and it got worse when I put Hawk pads on so I went to cryo slotted and it was better but then someone crashed me so no real long term test. The M has the same brakes and mice was pulsing like the G so I turned the rotors and it is better for now but plan to upgrade later but if I could go with the sport off the bat I would have, replacement parts are close to the same price anyways.

silberma
Car: 2015 70QL

Blind spot alert is a very useful safety feature. Once you experience it you would not want to have a car without it.

mrnix

silberma wrote:Blind spot alert is a very useful safety feature. Once you experience it you would not want to have a car without it.
Those seem to be a rare addition, and since I'm buying used, I'm limited in what options I can find.

mrnix

I appreciate everyone's input on this thread. I backed away from the scratched one, and picked up a Malbec Black 2012 with 46k miles and premium package on Saturday. Love it so far. I do have a question maybe someone can help with. This one was not certified, even though I got it from an Infiniti dealer. I'm the 3rd owner, and they left the prior owner paperwork in it, and it was purchased certified in 2014 and this guy only put 4000 miles on it. Any way to have the certified warranty transferred over?

M37xfan
Car: Traded in 2012 Infiniti M37x

mrnix wrote:I appreciate everyone's input on this thread. I backed away from the scratched one, and picked up a Malbec Black 2012 with 46k miles and premium package on Saturday. Love it so far. I do have a question maybe someone can help with. This one was not certified, even though I got it from an Infiniti dealer. I'm the 3rd owner, and they left the prior owner paperwork in it, and it was purchased certified in 2014 and this guy only put 4000 miles on it. Any way to have the certified warranty transferred over?

I bought a 2012 with 47k miles back on last October. I have the remaining factory warranty on it until May 2016

DoN_BLaZe34
Car: 2007 M45 Sport - Sold
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

mrnix wrote:I appreciate everyone's input on this thread. I backed away from the scratched one, and picked up a Malbec Black 2012 with 46k miles and premium package on Saturday. Love it so far. I do have a question maybe someone can help with. This one was not certified, even though I got it from an Infiniti dealer. I'm the 3rd owner, and they left the prior owner paperwork in it, and it was purchased certified in 2014 and this guy only put 4000 miles on it. Any way to have the certified warranty transferred over?
If I'm not mistaken, the only way to have a certified preowned is if you were the 2nd owner, which is why your dealer did not sell the car as one.

At this point it would probably be worth it to look into the extended warranty, it covers more than the CPO one.

mrnix

DoN_BLaZe34 wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the only way to have a certified preowned is if you were the 2nd owner, which is why your dealer did not sell the car as one.

At this point it would probably be worth it to look into the extended warranty, it covers more than the CPO one.
The dealer offered the extended warranty, at "$1 over his cost", but I declined. Cost was still around 2-3k, which seems like a lot to drop on what should be a reliable car that still has a little bit of the manufacturer warranty coverage remaining.

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

DoN_BLaZe34 wrote:

Not sure if that's true or not, but there is a cost associated with the certification. It could be that the dealer didn't think it was worth the cost to them. Also it could have been that the car didn't meet the certification requirements due to use history, service history or others...
Unfortunately the CPO cannot transfer, once the car is traded in/bought by the dealer a new certification must be done.

Yes, extended warranty (elite plan) could prove a smart purchase. I would look into a wholesale seller like infiniti of Scottsdale. A local dealer cannot touch their prices, even at cost.

mrnix

I'll keep the extended warranty in mind. I'd assume I can add it anytime before the factory warranty expires? I think I have 4 months left.

Any non-obvious cool features of the car I might not be aware of? Mine's a 2012 with technology package.

mrnix

Scratch that. I meant a 2012 M37x with premium package. Not technology package .

CRV_33
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x

Post some photos when you get a chance. Congratulations on your new purchase!

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”