Advice needed...

1972-1979 Datsun 620 forums. All 620-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
garyh

OK long story short...

I picked up a 1978 620 in FL. I spent wayyyy too much in gas just to get it, and I paid too much for it. Not sure what I was thinking at the time but o-well.

The truck "looks" good, has some carb probs etc.

Problem is that I was told by the seller that the engine and trans are fine and run good. Unfortunately, I believe I can hear a rod knocking.

So I think I'm out roughly $2000 on a truck I can't sell for anywhere near what I paid, and I can't drive it either.

Should I part this truck? I'm not too well versed on what the components are going for...

Or, should I just donate it for $500 deduction??

Ugh, I need a point of view here, I'm pretty flustered at being taken by this seller.

71-521

Argh! :shock:

That looks clean!

Don't part it! :X

That looks to be a keeper!

Just the condition of that body would make me build a motor for it! :cool: have the motor fixed! & Buy a Weber kit if you don't have to smog it, if you do, then buy a rebuild or have it done...

Just my opinion...good find!

Oh, and if you only need to get 500 out of it then my wife says to work you a deal as that is one RARE clean truck and she likes it!
If I knew years ago that to get her interested in these trucks all I had to do was to get her one this clean looking!:)

garyh

Unfortunately, it "looks" better than it is... not saying it's a total rust bucket but yeah, It's got it all the normal places :P

I've been working on it some after work and last night I managed to get it running a lot better. Also got the temp gauge working again so that helps!

The rather odd part is that what I hear... I don't hear all the time. It seems to come and go with the noise I thought was a rod knock. Admittedly, I'm no expert on engine diagnosis so I'm hopeful at this point that it's just my imagination

I have about $2300 in it so far and I really like the truck, I just don't need another "project" right now. If it breaks soon...I'm in trouble!

I don't think I will have to smog it...accoring to GA DMV, it's exempt. One of the reasons I bought it! :)

I've already replaced the clutch master and slave, and I have a brake master on the way. For some reason...I can't get any fluid from the brake master to the caliper. My mighty-vac sucks and sucks but I get no fluid.

What is this weber kit you speak of? I haven't seen much in the way of "performance" parts for this truck.

71-521

Weber 32/36 DGV Carb kit...just replaces the stock carb and gives better performance as well as mileage...you can find them on ebay, online or at the local auto store...

I see you found NWDE as well...you could probably get 600.00 for it if you parted it out there...:(

71-521

oh, check the exhaust and motor mounts...I had a broken mount that made the exhaust hit and sound like a rod going out until I fixed it...

garyh

that very well could be... motor mounts look ok, but since it runs quiet I haven't really looked at the exhaust. Thanks

twjr_85

wow!!! I just wanted to say I've never seen a 620 that clean. Has it been bondo'ed and repainted? I almost made the mistake of buyin one that was almost that clean but then I looked underneath and seen the frame was fixin to break in half but the body and interior was fine I think he was askin $1500 for that one. Absolutely a keeper in my opinion.

stubble88

Im confused by this whole thing :?

79kingcabman

If your ever in doubt about selling that clean truck just slap it on ebay it should bring what u need if reserve is added on .I know its alot of work but if your firm on price list it there .Email me for any more info if you decide to take my advice .... ive seen these trucks go on ebay so it shouldnt be wasted time.

Return to “Datsun 620”