Adios, Obamacare

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
RCA

AZhitman wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:34 pm
  • Exactly. Yet, here we are, giving credence (perhaps full assent) to an unsubstantiated allegation of "unfit."
  • How about sexual preference, or religious beliefs, instead? Plenty of persecution of those "misfits" in recorded history.
  • I'm no fan of "conformity,"... (unless it interferes with functionality, which I think you're gonna allude to - possibly accurately).
  • Principles... like 2 genders, sovereignty, secure borders, Constitutional rights, etc? ;)
  • God knows, none of his good moves have gotten any press
  • You call it mental gymnastics, I call it critical thinking and independent reasoning.
  • You've defended your ground, but his hill remains overrun.
  • Unsubstantiated allegation of "unfit"...
    Really? I feel like even the casual follower of politics can find proof of unfitness. It's right there in the pudding.
  • sexual preference, or religious beliefs, instead...
    I still think they're bad examples.
    People don't choose who they are attracted to.
    Religion is a bit trickier because you CAN choose it but like 99% of the time it's indoctrination and regional.
    But I would argue the main reason your examples aren't applicable is because to me they aren't relevant to being president.
    Maybe to others it is and that might be your point. Unfit means different things to different people.
  • Principles...
    Not being a criminal.
    Not lying to the American people on average multiple times a day.
    Respect for processes, the rule of law, and institutions. (Spoilers, they are there for a reason)
    Command of the English language past the 2nd grade.
    Willingness to listen to advisers around them. Ability to choose good advisers.
    Not selecting unqualified people you recognize from Fox News to work in important high level positions.
    These are just some of the no brainers. The no brainers list get expanded by the day unfortunately.
    So far these have been character issues that make him unfit, then there are policies that make him unfit.
    Policy issues can be more grey but I think we can all agree that child separation policies isn't something American's are proud of.
    We can be more sensitive than that. It's unnecessarily cruel and considered by most to be a d!ck move.
  • none of his good moves have gotten any press
    I would like a thread with good Trump news. It's tough to find no doubt about it.
    The good things I hear he does aren't really triumphs.
    I like that he signed the recent criminal justice reform bill. That's good news.
    But what was his other option? Be a monster and not sign it?
    Is that where we are in this administration? Give them credit for the basics?
  • You call it mental gymnastics, I call it critical thinking
    Fair. I want to be more clear about what I mean when I say mental gymnastics.
    Some issues are not black and white. They are nuanced, require a lot of self reflection, and thought.
    The context in which I used mental gymnastics was in discussing where or not Trump is fit for office.
    If you know the facts, have been paying attention, and you come to the conclusion that Trump is fit
    you might have some flaw in your critical thinking.
    I am willing to bet that the arguments used to claim Trump is fit for office require a touch of nonsense.
    There are compelling arguments for Flat-Earth. Under scrutiny however it's top level fu*kery.
  • You've defended your ground, but his hill remains overrun.
    In the case of Trump you and Howie can agree that there are better candidates that we should move on to.
    If I am right then you're looking for Howie to understand why he aligns with a specific party but the Trump issue you would agree with him...
    Maybe?

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

AZhitman wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:05 am
http://nypost.com/2014/02/05/congressio ... obamacare/

I don't see this thing surviving the 2016 election.
I don't see it ever being repealed!

Obamacare Is Here to Stay. Brace for New Health Care Battles.

Republicans in Congress have largely abandoned efforts to repeal the law. With the latest Supreme Court ruling, health policy now shifts to new territory.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/17/upsh ... ision.html

"The era of existential fights over Obamacare has ended.

The Affordable Care Act has survived its third major Supreme Court challenge — what Justice Samuel Alito described in his dissenting opinion as an “epic trilogy.” The law has gone from a 5-4 majority in its favor in the first case to Thursday’s 7-2 split. The decision secures the health law as a major legacy of the Obama era — the largest expansion of health coverage in decades — after years of hard-fought and politically painful battles.

Obamacare enjoys higher-than-ever public support, with most Americans now favoring the law. Enrollment in the health law’s programs is at a record high. Democrats have moved from defending the 2010 law to expanding its benefits. While Obamacare remains a dirty word in some Republican circles, its repeal is no longer a focus of the party or a galvanizing issue among its voters."

Republicans seem to be easily bamboozled.

Return to “Politics Etc.”