Adding a Turbo to a Stock KA24 (Noobs Read)

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
the_grey_john
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX HB - Manual

Just on a side note, to become more "one with the KA", a large reason for the stoutness of the KA is the fact it was initially produced for the Nissan Hardbody truck, which is a vehicle used mostly for strong haul work (no duh.). So next time you see a nissan hardbody, give it a nod, its like your 240's big brother...

the_grey_john
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX HB - Manual

Just to get another post count, I separated thoughts, heh:Anyway, I was conflicted on what engine to drop in my second 240 (the first is going though RB surgery). I wanted something cheap and boost ready (yet durable, want it all huh?), but since my first 240 is a RB25, I just wanted something peppy, not so much looking for big gains. And I refuse to roll with an SR, they have gotten stupid expensive and then made of melted down soda cans! So it was between the CA18DET or modding the stock KA. And thanks to all the support and information, the KA will stay and be turbo'd. Again, thanks and hopefully in time, I will be educated enough to help people out the same (with help not counting as use 'search').

P.S.: I've haven't been able to look at a Honda the same since I got my first 240sx. Thank you Nissan.

ColbertDisciple
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

hey let me know how the t25 turns out. I am looking to boost my 95 240sx. Looking at doing the following kit. Let me know if its any good and what else i would need to buy to complete or better the kit. Im just going for around 300hp nothing too big and im not against spending more money to boost comfortably.

T25 turbo flange

- SUS321 stainless steel,

- Fully TIG welded

- Fully Ported and Polished

- Includes bolts and gaskets

Turbo spec: t25 turbo

intake in: 37.8 ex: 59.7

exhaust in: 45.47 ex: 52.9

-ka24 stainless manifold

-t25 turbo ( 350hp max)

-divided turbo elbow

-godspeed type l intercooler (20x9x2.75" core size. overall length 28" )

-blow off valve with flange& rings.

CityHunt3R
Car: 240SX

im sor
ken240sx wrote:I'd just turbo the KA24E, they have tons of potential. They only start out at 10hp less. Oh and no to your question about the head swap. Unlike hondas, they aren't interchangeable without major modifications. So if you planned on a de swap, you're gonna wanna just go with the whole engine/tranny.
I read up that the KAE tranny is compatible with the kade block... can anyone confirm if my sources are true or false?

I heard the bell housing is slightly diferent but works fine.....anyone have any first hand experience with this?

also ... so the KAde can handle up to 350hp safely, what about drive train everyojne mentions internals but nothing much about drive train valve* if you could recoment a set to go with to upgrade the drive train that would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance!!!

ken240sx
Car: '92 KA-T 240sx, '08 Vette + Spray, '09 Benz C300, '98 Trans Am + Cam & Spray, '03 Acura TL Type S

drivetrain can handle a lot...just depending on the condition, as with any part. Some are pushing over 600whp through it, others have problems at 400. It just depends what you're using it for (drag, autox, drifting, etc.) and if you abuse it or take care of it.

boostedk
Car: s13

whats up guys i'm new to the forum and i have 2 questions , if anyone can help me. where can i find a xenon front lip ?? and what turbo kit should i start with??? i've heard t3/t4's are not enough for the KA but my budget isn't so big. thanks !!! i'm going crazy trying to find one but no luck... i own a 91' s13 and just finished building the KA i'm going turbo in a few's weeks but i'm jut doing the break in for the engine.. my set up is cleaned and hounded blockpolished head , wiseco pistons ( 8.5.1 comp )stock rodscometic head gasketARP main studs and rod boltsnew OEM fuel pumpnew timin kit new oil pump

boostedk

whats up guys i'm new to the forum and i have 2 questions , if anyone can help me. where can i find a xenon front lip ?? and what turbo kit should i start with??? i've heard t3/t4's are not enough for the KA but my budget isn't so big. thanks !!! i'm going crazy trying to find one but no luck... i own a 91' s13 and just finished building the KA i'm going turbo in a few's weeks but i'm jut doing the break in for the engine.. my set up is cleaned and hounded blockpolished head , wiseco pistons ( 8.5.1 comp )stock rodscometic head gasketARP main studs and rod boltsnew OEM fuel pumpnew timin kit new oil pumpstage 3 centerforce clutch dual friction and pressure platestock flywheel but re-polishednew spark plug cables..

that's about it , i would really appreciate some help from anyone !!!!! PLZ HELP !!

boostedk

thats my car

Greenthumbtech
Car: Currently driving a 05 Scion tC w/Greddy kit

that was one of the best articles ive read. im new here and it answered a TON of questions. thanks for the info... i will continue my search for more input

revox
Car: '89 240sx coupe

Awesome thread! Will help me with my KA-T coupe build a lot!

240punk
Car: 240sx S-chassis

Good write-up. i love it

nstabl
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx

AMAZING thread. answered 90% of anything i would have asked down the line.. thanks...

z.hunter1
Car: '92 240SX

I'm glad there are places such as this that will just tell you things straight up and to the point. This helps those, like myself, who have a broad design idea to narrow thier functional possiblities.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

z.hunter1 wrote:I'm glad there are places such as this that will just tell you things straight up and to the point. This helps those, like myself, who have a broad design idea to narrow thier functional possiblities.
Nico and especially the KAT forum is definitly one of the best online car forums in existence...bar none. I'm a member of tons of car clubs and websites, but none run as smoothly or have the family atmosphere that Nico does.

WD

manik1214
Car: 1992 nissan 240sx s13 (hatchback)

how much would it caost to get your engine rebuilt?

is it easy to install yourself? like the turbo and such.

im quite new to nismoi was a dsm fan before but i found my true calling

ColbertDisciple
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

well it al depends on what you want to rebuild a good one will cost 2500 and an ok one about 1500 thats what i got quoted anyway. i did see online though that there is a shop selling rebuilt KA for 1100

red_rain
Car: 91 ka-t n 300zx

+1 for WD....great write up yo.....i use to be a noob...lol......dont let my posts get to ya....i've been boosten for bout a year now....jess joined earlier this year but i guess i still a noob to NICO....lol....sorry for off topic.....

J_757
Car: 240sx

sweet post man helped me alot thanxz

rwdisgoo

great write up

johny_z
Car: 300 zx

hey hows it going, im new and was reading but i have a question if i were running forged pistons and new rings say i wanted 15-18 psi wat kinda fuel management system would you recommend i was going for a t04d/e with a good intercooler and some forged pistons do you think this compression is possible

any info will help

thank you

josh83
Car: 86 corolla/soon to be a 240 the question is sr or kat

wow! i was totally set on he sr but their is so much to consider! ill do some research now and make my decision. SR OR KAT?

WDRacing

johny_z wrote:hey hows it going, im new and was reading but i have a question if i were running forged pistons and new rings say i wanted 15-18 psi wat kinda fuel management system would you recommend i was going for a t04d/e with a good intercooler and some forged pistons do you think this compression is possible

any info will help

thank you
I recommend a ROM tune from JWT or Enthalpy. Figure out what ecu tunes they have, then get the appropriate size injectors to match. I'd say 72lb injectors would be your best bet.
josh83 wrote:wow! i was totally set on he sr but their is so much to consider! ill do some research now and make my decision. SR OR KAT?
KAT...obviously

AfroDrift1

WDRacing wrote:Hi, allow me to welcome you to Nico and KAT. If you've been a member for awhile now, well its about time you're interested in going turbo.

There has been a rash of threads and questions related to how much boost or how much horsepower a stock motor can handle before things start to break. I'm going to do my best to explain how and why things happen the way they do.

The KA24E and KA24DE are both very fun motors when boosted. They can be used for high horsepower drag cars or low boost dependable daily drivers. The selection of parts and where money is invested will determine exactly how and why things are going to happen to your motor.

First, lets start off with making sure the current motor and car are in fairly good condition. By that I mean the motor runs perfectly fine as it sits right now and the car isn't going to fall apart. Trust me, if you have any problems, adding boost is only going to compound them greatly.

Aside from running well and being mechanically sound there are a few things that should be looked at closely. One is the compression on all 4 cylinders. If you don't have a compression tester, I suggest buying one. They are about $30 from Sears where I bought mine. But they can be found at most auto parts stores. You're going to want compression numbers over 155 on all 4 cylinders and they should be within 10 psi of each other for the best results. If they are lower, I'd suggest a full rebuild before going with a turbo kit.

The next key part is the oil system. Its hard to tell the exact pressure without a standalone aftermarket gauge. But you'll want want 15psi or more at idle and over 30psi once the rpms have gone past 3000. Those are for an engine that's already warmed up. If its cold, they will be ALOT higher. Don't use those numbers. However, if you have low oil pressure when cold, and the car has been running for more then 2 minutes, shut the car off and inspect the oil system. Hopefully its just low oil level.

The coolant system should also be working well. Adding a turbo creates more heat inside the motor and more heat under the hood. So a good cooling system is a must have. The factory system will work fine for a low boost setup. Just make sure you keep an eye on things. Overheating a turbo motor will lead to detonation and can wreak havoc on every system in the car. You'll never hear people say, "Man, what a waste of money he put into that cooling system". If you do, chances are they don't know what they're talking about.

The last main system that needs to be inspected is the ignition system. Adding a turbo will require you to use a different spark plug. One that is one or two heat ranges colder. You'll also use a shorter plug Gap then stock. Start with BKR7E from NGK and gap them to .038 and close the gap as you run into spark issues. But that's a whole story by itself. If you want to change the wires while you're swapping plugs, might as well. There is no such thing as having something work "To Well".

With all that said, lets move on to the actual point of this thread. The stock internals in a mechanically sound motor will take a good bit of power. We have members pushing close to 500WHP on a factory parts. But we've also had motors fail in the 300's and 400's. A lot of this is do to poor tuning and or not taking care of the motor.

If the engine oil is changed frequently, then there should be no issues with the bearings seizing up. Clean oil is always a good thing. I relate some of the problems people have had to lubrication issues.

As far as tuning goes, money is the only thing that will limit your options. You have to really consider your end goal. Will a simple piggy back SAFCII or Greddy Emanage be good enough? Or should I look into Rom tuning or Standalone Ecu's? Well both work well for what they are. Cheap piggy back setups are good for making a small but fun amount of power. But if your needs are over 300, then I'd start exploring other options. The whole point of tuning is that without a good safe Air/Fuel mixture and the proper timing retard on boost. You could have the motor built with titanium parts and it will still break.

Finally, once you've got everything working correctly and you've decided on what method you're going to use for tuning. You come to the most important choice of all in my mind and that's what parts to buy or what kit to use. Every part in a system will have a max output. If that max output is lower then what your goals, then don't buy it. Trust me, settling on something will always haunt you. If you have to save for a few extra months to get what you want, then so be it. There are a lot of good deals to be found and a lot of choices that will work very well. But there are just as many bad choices along the way. Beware what you buy from EBay, some things just shouldn't be bought from a generic company. There is a lot of information in the KAT forum as a whole and a lot in the FAQ at the top of the page. If you can't find it there, then ask away. But please read through things at least a little before rattling off questions that are probably posted on the very first page already. A little research in the beginning will yield fantastic results later.

All of this comes to a close with me voicing my opinion and saying a safe bet for a sound motor when tuned properly is about 350WHP. Some will go farther, some will not. If my goals were more then 350WHP, I'd seriously consider saving for forged internals.

I hope this has helped some of you out. Never be afraid to ask questions. Worst case we'll just tell you where to look.

Happy BoostingWD
hey ive got a question about this. i was wondering can u use stock injectors on kat if your just wanting like 200 maybe 230 hp??? im just trying to get better slides not really worried about a whole lot of power...

johny_z
Car: 300 zx

thanks man this stuff is really helpfull im glad i started here insted of just going straight into the project again thanks for the help

WDRacing

You can keep the stock injectors if you use a FMU. But you can only run 8 psi or so with the FMU. You'll also want to retard your bease timing a bit.

WD

SCtoker
Car: Stock, White, 1993 240 Hatch

ok guys im a little new to 240's i have owned an srt4, 3000gt vr4 and an Evo so im no dummy i have a stock 1993 240 hatch i want to buy the AMS crate ka24de and turbo charge it im looking to hit around 300 to 350 hp when im done what all would this involve? i really didnt have time to read this whole thread so i figured id just post this thanks guys!

o yea WDRacing you are the man im NORML too

Metal4Life..95s14
Car: 95 nissan 240sx

WDRacing wrote:You can keep the stock injectors if you use a FMU. But you can only run 8 psi or so with the FMU. You'll also want to retard your bease timing a bit.

WD
The FMU can be used for daily driving then right?, because i want to turbo my ka, but keep it a daily driver

That Guy1
Car: 240

this story was great... Bump

Thebighouse111
Car: 2006 Mustang GT

hey i've been looking for a 240 for a couple months and i've been wondering what motor to use. I've heard that the KA is very strong. anyone have a set up for like 500hp+ and at what point should you upgrade the internals. Thanks

monkzero0
Car: 2003 Nissan Frontier XE

OK so i read the whole thread, i have to start out by saying great info, it answered most of my questions but i have a couple not yet asked. now everyone has 240s i still want one but in 2003 I picked up a ka24de powered 2003 frontier. what i've noticed is that it uses a carburetor type intake manifold and a different tranny. I know all the parts are interchangeable but is the 240s intake manifold better, is the tranny better???? I'm boosting this truck and wondered if i should change those first. my goal is 300whp. the truck is now lowered sittin on 20's, not chromed dub's but twelve spoke magnesium racing rims. but being 20's they're still heavy and i need more go. should i go log type manifold or tubular? I bought a used turbo with minimal play in the shaft up or down and side to side, the thing is the wastegate is broken off, i know i can weld it shut then go external but what kind of wastegate would be good? the turbo is a garret airesearch model t0321. i don't know what it's off of but i got it for 50 bucks from the car lot i bought my ae86 from. is that too small of a turbo for the KA to reach the goal of 300whp safely? or should i just use it for the 4age since it's a 1.6ltr. the truck gets sideways but with great amount of understeer, i know with more power and better suspension i can compensate for the anti drift heavy front end, cuz on youtube i saw a skyline frontier with the rb25 in it and it drifted the course pretty damn good. oh yeah do the 240s have different afr and if i don't need to change the tranny can i use a clutch made for a 240? i know i can use the lsd from nismo but nobody make parts for this truck unless you own the supercharged vg33. any kind of feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Modified by monkzero0 at 12:28 PM 12/18/2008

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”