Adding a Turbo to a Stock KA24 (Noobs Read)

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
Beowulf22

Thanks for the write up. My small contribution...
Things I have learned since buying a 240sx (6-ish months ago):

1. Check to make sure a thread has been active recently to avoid being flamed for bumping an old thread (not done this YET...just seen it happen a lot to other newbies...think I am safe here, last post a couple weeks ago)
2. Search. Nearly everything that you could possibly ask has been asked and answered somewhere. But more than likely your first several hits will be someone asking the very question you are looking for, and then the answer being "SEARCH before you post!"

With that being said....I'm going to ask a question anyway because despite reading and absorbing everything I could find about going KA-T I haven't seen this question asked. If I buy parts from different places/manufacturers (as opposed to buying a 'turbo kit') and do I know the parts will match up and actually FIT together?? For example...I see a lot of different turbo manifold and they all seem to mount the turbo in a slightly different spot. I'm not just talking about top mount or bottom mount either...but some mount it farther forward/back or up/down slightly. If I get a down pipe of a different brand/model is it going to match up to the manifold? I don't see how it could. Same goes for the intercooler piping. I see lots of intercooler kits...but I don't see how it's going to line up to so many different turbo/manifold options out there. What am I missing? Thanks.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

You pretty much nailed it. If the parts aren't from the same manufacturer they probably won't mate up. This is where the DIY skills come into play. Otherwise you're paying for custom parts like downpipes. The intercooler stuff is pretty easy to adapt with jbends and couplers.

If you have any more questions make a new thread. It will make it easier for others to view and comment. Stickies are pretty overlooked sometimes...

WD

gwoods
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37x
1999 Nissan Altima SE limited 5spd
1992 Miata (soon to be turbo)
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8
2012 Toyota Sequoia Limited

WOW answered a lot of my questions thanks WD

WDRacing

Glad peope are still using this thread!

Dirtbag
Car: 1998 Nissan 240SX SE
1996 Nissan 240SX Base

Alright, after scrapping the supercharger plans I am looking for a small, stock-ish, boost of power.

I don't have any dreams of getting any real power out of this but I do just want a little more than stock. I have seen this done a couple of times but it seems that the individuals that built the cars are reluctant to provide the real specs.

I want to see if I can get some input here. I am looking at:

Isis T2 Bottom mount
SR turbo with stock waste gate (IIRC ~7lbs)
Custom heat shield to cover manifold
S13 SR Stock Side Mount intercooler, piping, and BOV with custom air funnel for S14 USDM bumper
S13 SR Downpipe
S13 SR Intake Pipe with generic cone filter

I don't think I need to upgrade MAF, but, I do know that I will have to adjust timing. If I remember it right the setup on another individuals car netted 206~WHP and 246~FT/Lbs tq. I don't know what support they had though (ECU, FMU, SAFC) and I don't know if I would even need to upgrade the stock injectors for such little power. As long as my compression is good I should be OK on stock internals (as KA's seem slightly overbuilt) and the only thing I would want to do as a safeguard is replace my head gasket and studs. This will be my first time going N/A to Turbo but I do understand a bit about turbo engines so if I am missing anything let me know. I don't think this qualifies for a new thread so I wanted to post here.

Thoughts?

WDRacing

For 7lbs of boost your best bet is a 8:1 FMU. So you can keep the stock MAF and injectors. I'd upgrade the fuel pump to a 255lph pump though. Summit has them for pretty cheap.

No need for a new head gasket or studs. You won't need that until you're making quite a bit more power. The SR turbo is pretty small and will become a heat pump if you run much more than stock boost, but if your goals are just a little more power it will be fine. You definitely won't have any lag!

WD

Dirtbag
1996 Nissan 240SX Base

I forgot about the pump, I heard I can get away with a z32 pump but not sure there. I think the stock waste gate is set to 6 or 7. Gotta take care of my valve cover leak first but then I'll be good to go. Will I need to worry about cooling or oil from stock setup? Also, will a coolant line for the turbo be needed at all?

WDRacing

If the turbo you use has coolant lines, iirc the T25 from the SR does have water lines, it's not a bad idea to use them. It promotes longevity.

The 255lph pump is better than a Z32 pump. Last I checked they were about 95 bucks at Summit.

As far as running an oil cooler goes, it's something that is always a good idea. Not a must have item, but something you could do at the same time as say a remote oil filter kit.

WD

Dirtbag
1996 Nissan 240SX Base

Well, I wasn't really looking at an oil cooler, I was more concerned with oil pressure. Not sure if the oil would get that much hotter especially if I run coolant lines.

Do I need to look into radiators at all or should I be OK with stock? For the fans, would the clutch fan suffice or would it be required to swap electric fans in?

WDRacing

People run clutch fans because they are more reliable than electric. So there isn't a "need" for the electric type. It does clean things up under the hood and generally make things like belts easier to work on. Which is why I went the electric route.

The stock radiator isn't a bad unit.

I recommend getting oil pressure, water temp, boost and a wideband O2 meter.

Dirtbag
1996 Nissan 240SX Base

Alright, awesome. Now I just need to figure out where to put the gauges. Heh, thanks a lot for the advice.

WDRacing

Yeah, gauge placement is something I always had issues with. Everything always seems to look tacky. I ended up just mounting the oil pressure and boost gauge on the steering column. My wideband is one of those older LM1 units. Works great but it's big and ugly.

Dirtbag
1996 Nissan 240SX Base

Alright, so I did some more research, are you sure that the 8:1 FMU will not make the system run too rich? I was looking at the 6:1, too little?

Gauges suck. I keep looking in my car for a good spot and I think I may just go with A-Pillar. I would prefer something behind the dash though but I don't have many options with keeping A/C and having a double din radio...maybe I will just get a Broadfield Custom. Hah.

WDRacing

The 10 and 12:1 units will be way to rich, the 8:1 will be a tad on the rich side but not so bad your mileage goes directly in the toilet. I'd use a 6:1 myself, but I have a wideband O2 meter and a knock meter and some experience with what mild detonation to severe detonation sounds like.

The 6:1 is probably your best bet, it's just the 8:1 adds enough extra fuel to cool off the combustion charge, helping to avoid knock. More of a me covering my a** kinda thing. So I don't get the, "WD, you said this and then my car explodededed" post.

WD

Dirtbag
1996 Nissan 240SX Base

Haha, true enough though, I could see individuals here holding others responsible for something that was ultimately their decision. Maybe I will just go with 8:1 just to stay on the safe side. Either that or head over to Enthalpy or Nistune...etc...

WDRacing

As long as you're aware, I'd go with a 6:1. The 8:1 is quite a bit richer at the onset of boost. It's not something really noticeable, but it does waste more fuel and it's generally just richer across the board. Probably a high 10:1ish on boost. But at onset it's kinda ugly, like 9's, my LM1 bottomed out so...yeah. However, some people don't have the timing set right, or they use 87 octane and they have a boost spike, pop goes the KA.

There's a really good thread about a boost limiter in the FAQ. Basically kills the ignition system if the boost goes over a certain point. It's a really good safety valve imho. Make sure you check it out. Here's a link. Cory is one of the OG KAT guys.

guitargod240
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx HB KA24DE

So ive been into the 240 scene about 7 years now and beleive it or not owned the same one and same ka. Has blown twice, first time uncle helped and i didnt know much and he didnt tell me there was more we shouldve done like, ball hone, decked head, and i dont remember what else. Eventually overheated again due to sh@t napa thermostat. Since then everything has been nissan on car and did a full engine rebuild about a year or more ago. Everything nissan, rings, thermostat, full gasket kit off z1 motorsports, had crank polished. Clevite stock bearing. Plastigauged, in spec, compression test was 185, 180, 185, 188. That was 2012 and hasnt been checked since. Has around 35-40,000 miles on it id say and still looks clean with oil cap off. See bright silver haha, now reason for this "story" is i wanna know does this soubd like an.engine suitable for a 250-300whp build maybe little less. Ill save and would like good parts and maybe build this for low hp but if i wanna up boost maybe have a secondary tune, i dont know yet. Also not nissan chain or guides was an ebay kit for like $80 long time ago :facepalm. Wanna buy nissan guides and chain also upgrade from stock radiator to mishimoto cooling set. Also wanted to mention sometimes idles surges from 750 to 400 up and down, weird cause its usually at 750 everyday and i smell gas. No egr and im not sure if i have my gas tank line open or capped opps....and have replaced two injectors over the year. Do feel like i go through alot of fuel to and smell gas more and tip on exhaust has black all on it. Have another ka and wanna swap iacv to see if t.helps idle but it goes away for months then randomly return, car ran great today except gas smell lol. Sorry for the novel and if this post needs to be moved idk how. Did this on phone anf any info would be greAtly appreciated. I dont post alot, more like read everything i can about ka and turbos lol. Thanksssss :) p.s. Id like to keep all this stock if possible. Dont wanna rip engine apart again and have to bore cylinders and buy rods and pistons abd all that. Kinda just wondering if this seems like a good platform for a mild boost and also remember machine shop said they saw a cylinder taper in cylinder 3 but me and friends looked at it and really couldnt notice it or see it and so far i dont think theres anythibg wrong there.....also said he wanted to.replace an exhaust valve cuz saw small line on one, idk if he meant crack or what but he ordered wrong one and never.got replaced, also this head had a valve job. Think just basic was while ago.

WDRacing

That wall of text is very hard to read man. If your car runs well and doesn't have any issues go ahead and boost it. If you do have any issues, make sure to get them sorted out first. Boost will only aggravate any pre-existing conditions.

WD

HasakiS14-5
Car: 06 G35 Coupe

A good spot to ask this question lol, will a timing chain noise have a bad effect on boosting a KA?!

WDRacing

Absolutely! I wouldn't recommend adding a turbo to any motor until it's in top shape. Is it just the chain hitting the upper guide? I have my upper chain guide removed for this reason.

seand619
Car: 1994 240sx s13 Coupe

Ok guys whats going on. Im very new to this whole new forum idea. I was reading this post about boosting a ka24, and i recently purchased a 94 s13 coupe and I want to properly uprgrade the turbo. Yes i know it has the Ka24det. Now I want to ask for your guys help. What would be a good turbo kit to upgrade to (but wont break the bank, or my engine). Im keeping my stock internals so i have a reliable but fun DD. My s13 has a little over 103k original miles. Would you recomond a total rebuild with that high of milage or what .My price is 3-4k for the kit. Also if you guys know any reputable tuning shops in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania could you point me in the right direction
Thanks, Sean :crazy:

Vetal

Did I get it right that on STOCK KA24DE internals (including headgasket) someone has achieved more than 500whp? :confused:

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

About anything is possible. I remember seeing around 450whp before, but everything would have to be perfect for stock internals to hold up to that.

About 350 is the normal max to shoot for on stock internals probably.

WDRacing

seand619 wrote:Ok guys whats going on. Im very new to this whole new forum idea. I was reading this post about boosting a ka24, and i recently purchased a 94 s13 coupe and I want to properly uprgrade the turbo. Yes i know it has the Ka24det. Now I want to ask for your guys help. What would be a good turbo kit to upgrade to (but wont break the bank, or my engine). Im keeping my stock internals so i have a reliable but fun DD. My s13 has a little over 103k original miles. Would you recomond a total rebuild with that high of milage or what .My price is 3-4k for the kit. Also if you guys know any reputable tuning shops in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania could you point me in the right direction
Thanks, Sean :crazy:
Make a new thread about your build and ask your questions there please.

WDRacing

Vetal wrote:Did I get it right that on STOCK KA24DE internals (including headgasket) someone has achieved more than 500whp? :confused:
Yes it's been done. However, the rods are prone to bending at that level. Personally I wouldn't exceed the 350whp mark without a full internal rebuild.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”