A Shining Example...

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

audtatious wrote:... I have shown statistics where harsh anti-gun ownership laws have not stopped violent crime and in most cases gun crime has increased by a large margin.
I don't know if that's correct Matt. Many countries that have very restrictive gun laws have violent crime rates below that of the US. I don't know if there is a correlation there or not, but on it's face it appears that there may be.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

redtop91 wrote:Having a predisposition towards something doesn't mean that you automatically suffer from it. People have genetic predispositions to cancer and diabetes but they don't end up with them. All it means as that exposed to a catalyst for say cancer, their disposition makes it easier to get cancer in that case. All a predisposition to violence means is given the right circumstances they will react with violence faster, and sometimes more irrationally, than someone less disposed. Basically you don't have a gun because you don't plan to use it. Either way you aren't going to convince me to own a gun. I have no need for one and I can't think of any situations where I would be willing to use it. Trying to call my "batting average" weak because I choose not to own a weapon is a such an American, gun owning, my way or the highway viewpoint. Especially since never did I denounce you owning one. I tire of typing that this is my opinion and people not choosing to read it so I won't anymore. I see all of your points and I agree to disagree and end it at that
I'm not trying to convince you to own a gun as it's none of my business. I'm simply addressing the anti-gun talking points that you brought up and I have NO issue at all with your decision.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

rn79870 wrote:
I don't know if that's correct Matt. Many countries that have very restrictive gun laws have violent crime rates below that of the US. I don't know if there is a correlation there or not, but on it's face it appears that there may be.
Yes, I'm sure there are numerous countries with lower crime rates and I have no idea how to correlate our "free" society to theirs. The closest country to our lifestyle that we could use as a comparison would be England and the gun laws they put in place:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3083618&page=1

"After the 1997 shooting of 16 kids in Dunblane, England, the United Kingdom passed one of the strictest gun-control laws in the world, banning its citizens from owning almost all types of handguns. Britain seemed to get safer by the minute, as 162,000 newly-illegal firearms were forked over to British officials by law-abiding citizens.

But this didn't decrease the amount of gun-related crime in the U.K. In fact, gun-related crime has nearly doubled in the U.K. since the ban was enacted. "

Return to “Politics Etc.”