A new Baby

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
TNTomboy

I posted an introduction in the thread for that and wanted to post some pictures of the truck.

You will notice one side has a marker light and the other one doesn't it's puzzling because there doesn't appear to be a place for one either. I am thinking maybe that fender was replaced before they gave it the pitiful paint job it has.

On paint jobs... it was obviously originally a white truck but I hate white vehicles you can't keep them looking clean no matter how hard you try. If I manage to get it painted could I maybe paint it some other Datsun color?

TNTomboy

Well, it smokes like a kettle and I only got a few miles before I had to park it at a friends house. I'll be having it towed home in a day or two. How much is it going to cost me to have the engine rebuilt? it's a L16. Body wise I've got a little rust to deal with too but the frame is OK and the floor pans and bed have already been redone in it. I am capable of swapping engines but I've never broken one down before so I don't think I can rebuild it myself.

phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

TNTomboy wrote:Well, it smokes like a kettle and I only got a few miles before I had to park it at a friends house. I'll be having it towed home in a day or two. How much is it going to cost me to have the engine rebuilt? it's a L16. Body wise I've got a little rust to deal with too but the frame is OK and the floor pans and bed have already been redone in it. I am capable of swapping engines but I've never broken one down before so I don't think I can rebuild it myself.
Nice truck!

As far as cost to rebuild an L16...I spent around 250.00 for everything I needed to do it right myself, and I had never done this before.

Shop around for your parts...I use Rock Auto. They have some decent prices and they usually have closeouts real cheap.

You can have a machine shop bore your cylinders for around 20.00 each. But be sure to take your new pistons in so they can match the cylinders to them.

If you have a shop do it you are looking at 1500.00. Yikes!

Look at my project thread: zerothread/376286

TNTomboy

Thank You! that gives me hope :-)

I'm hoping the smoke is coming at least in part from bad points and off timing.

She's still sitting at a farm 50 miles away I hope to actually get her home tomorrow.

I have so much to do I'm not sure where to start! It's going to have to be totally sanded and primed. The only thing I've ever used bondo for was to repair box turtle shells when I was helping out a local wild life rehabiltator. At least the truck will be still while I'm doing it

rayfinkle5

I saw this on craigslist. Did you get a good deal?

jetboy
Car: 1971 521

nice looking truck. I'm envious of your interior! (see the post nearby for my new 521)

as for smoking - was it blue, black, or white?

they all have their issues, but its not necessarily an engine rebuild.

white:first check your radiator cap, see if it has any slime or deposits, also your oil, see if it has an froth. if so, your talking bad seals/headgasket. not such a big deal, especially if you catch it before they fail altogether. just crack her open and put in the new gaskets

blue: you need either valves or rings(decel valves,accel rings)-- try heavy weight oil and that might hold it at bay for a while. try 50 weight and see if it makes a difference-- then you know.

black:

in my experience-- carb issues. your carb needs a rebuild and tune - not a big deal - also could be timing and plugs.

im sort of paraphrasing- but you get the idea.

-j

TNTomboy

I paid $800.00 for it not sure how good of a deal it is but I figured the interior work would have cost me nearly that much. Even the dash has been covered.

It smokes black and I know for a fact the choke is stuck on it. Rather than try and rebuild I am planning on buying a replacement carb. You can flip the arm that the choke cable is attached to back and forth easily it seems to be free wheeling. There is also gas in the oil.

I was shocked when I took that sheet of diamond plating out of the bed. It had not been sanded and painted under it and was full of mud and crap.. just rusting away. It had to flex in the middle to come out since it was a cut to fit kind of thing and me being here alone I couldn't budge it till I got out 3 old screw jacks I keep around the house and jacked it.

The bed is in pretty rough shape. Does anyone know a model of newer truck with the same bed size? I thought I'd try to get a drop in bed cover but no one lists anything this old on their size charts. One of the cross members under the bed is all eat up but I am thinking I can slide a piece of angle iron inside it and weld it on for support. I'm also going to have to grind the hinges loose from the tail gate to get it off. The documentation on the truck shows a bolt on hinge but these are welded and after 2 days of pounding on and off I can't get the pins to move at all.

The bed is going to have to come off and that's going to be a lot of fun considering I'm a chubby lil 5'5" woman eat up with arthritis! But I have jacks a come along and a large tree nearby. Time for some hillbilly ingenutity

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

even with the tree you will need help. Nice truck, looking forward to more.

TNTomboy

I think since my jack stands wont be high enough I'll get some cinder blocks and just jack it up high enough to push the truck out from under it.

Still not sure what to do about the bed after I get rid of all the rust I can and coat it with a rust inhibitor. I've got about a 4"x6" hole to patch or cover. I still have the diamond plate aluminum that fits it well but I don't really want to put it back in there.

Do they make a drop in bed liner that will fit?

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

I am sure after jacking the bed and bolts high enough, pushing it away would be easy.

I am sure you could find a generic plastic bedliner. Or you could make your own purpose built truck bed. Aussie style.

Build a gazebo on the back

TNTomboy

I've question and a link to share.

The question is what do I do about seat belts? I'd rather have 3point belts in there but I'm not sure how mounting them would work since it didn't have those originally. (none in it at the moment).

The link is something I found while looking around for a tonneau or a way to make one to custom fit. This guy seems to have done an excellent looking one from fairly inexpensive materials. He hasn't put up the installation of gas lifts in it yet but I think I can figure that part out on my own.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/MyS...r.htm

firebirdparts

Hey, tomboy, I'm in TN too, in Kingpsort!

I use a PL521 as my daily driver, and I love it. I cannot find many parts here, though. The parts trucks are all way out on the west coast!

firebirdparts

P.S. The bed is going to be very light. I would not hesitate to hang it from a tree if I wanted to remove it.

TNTomboy

I'm on the edge of the Plateau on top of a little knob about 50 miles west of Knoxville.

What did you do about seat belts? Are lap belts even legal in TN? I seem to have mounting places for lap belts but I'd rather have a shoulder belt too.

I'm going to have to get under the bed and work even weld some more than likely so I'm thinking blocks would be better, since once I sit it down I wouldn't be able to roll it over on my own. The documentation says it weighs somewhere around 300 pounds. I'm good at figuring my way around heavy stuff but I just don't think I could move it around to work on it. The square tubular support under the center of the bed (at the wheels) is eat up with rust pretty bad I'm thinking I may need to slide a smaller one or a piece of angle iron inside it and weld it in.

Tell me about parts ... I just spent a long time googling just to find a valve cover gasket, though surprisingly autozone carries a replacement carb.

TNTomboy

Please delete the post "a quick question" I've answered it myself its a 25mm 1.25 bolt.

she runs now after a new carb, new valve cover gasket, alternator bolt and oil change. She smokes only when she's on full choke not sure why but I'm sure I'll figure that out on my own sooner or later. She still has almost no brakes as I haven't bled them yet but we are well on our way to being a usable vehicle.

I joined here selfishly to ask questions of those more experienced with these trucks yet it seems most of my questions have been ignored so I'll delete my account now and just muddle through alone.

GretaKenna
Car: Rolls Royce

Child beds and kids beds add charm and style to your kids bedroom. Pick a matching bed or contrast a little to add some decorating flair to your kids bedroom.Establishing a regular bedtime schedule and routine, including a calming down period prior to sleep, will help reduce the number of sleep disruptions.

Alexandras

Simply Kids Furniture offers a lowest price guarantee and Free Shipping on all kids furniture and every kids bed. With a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all kids bedroom furniture, you can take comfort in knowing that you're finding the highest quality kids furniture at the best price.

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”