1996-2004 Pathfinder / QX4 Strut Housing Corrosion Recall

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
metalfabsteve
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5L 5spd.
1997 Nissan King Cab 2.4L auto

How do you post pics I have a few of mine. Mine was equally as bad as the pics above and they "fixed" it.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Upload them to somewhere like www.photobucket.com.

qx4fan01
Car: 00 Qx4

Hello again. So I received my decline letter in the mail the other day. To my surprise it was addressed from Infiniti Consumer Affairs not Morley Automotive Services. It stated that the value given to me was " 'calculated by Infiniti, as provided for by federal law, as the original purchase price less depreciation. Value of the depreciated vehicle has been determined by reference to the Kelly Blue Book "private party value", accounting for the age of the vehicle, mileage, trim level and other options, and condition.' " If that is the case why was I made to negotiate my why up to this so called offer. They didn't come out and say this is how we are evaluating everyones car and this is what you get. They made me go out of my way to get them to bring the offer up from nothing. I don't know what federal law states in regards to these buy backs but I still plan on contacting my states attorney general to find out.

I've already filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. What I ask for is a little more consistancy. Put a program in place that takes the negotiating out and make the offers fair and just accross the board. KBB Retail value is the only thing we should be excepting. All of you waiting for an offer should find out what your vehicle is valued at and not except any less. I feel bad for those of you who received very low offers. Even worse for those who have accepted them. The last offer I was given was for 7950 dollars. KBB retail is 8725 dollars in my area. Infiniti is betting that most people will not put up any resistance and take their petty offers. I say NO WAY! Be fair to everyone! The only way that is going to happen is if they stop the pressure tactics and give people KBB Retail.

JoannaC00kies1
Car: Wooo

Im located in maine. Im hoping they buy it back -- bit if theu fix it i dont mind. I only paid peanuts for the car a couple months ago as a fixer upper. Put aboutme $600 into so far and thenfor stumbled upon the recall. My kbb in fair is $3000 and for excellent its $3900. Suggested retail $5240 - im guessing they should pay close to what it would cost me to pick another one up. Sweet ride tho was looking forward to the 4 on the fly this winter

metalfabsteve

Thanks
ImageImageImage

The rust goles are bigger than you see I have a 12ga. plate in there to hold the strut tower down. All the holes you see here were just covered with fiberglass. One would expect in Ontario that the rockers and door bottoms would have rust but structural rot on a truck this age is just crazy.
My frame and inner fender behind the strut tower didnt look too bad until I tapped it with a body hammer to knock all the loose stuff off this rots from the inside out. I was quite surprised that I grab the o2 sensor through the wheelwell after this.
Cheers
Steve

GRNMACHINE
Car: 1999.5 Pathfinder SE 4x4

Cerebral & metalfab, as Buzzman said, I highly doubt that is fixable, if it is, I sure wouldnt be comfortable with it... That is just plain sad. Re: Value, this is all a bunch of garbage! Search Toyota Tacoma frame rot recall. They gave 1.5x KBB value, no questions or hassles to their customers. I believe most Toyota owners said, thanks and I think I will buy another. If they offered me less than KBB I believe I would say I wont be purchasing another Nissan - for a Very Long time. Brand Loyalty means alot for business, it doesnt appear buyback offers have any interest in it.

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

I wonder if the rusty trucks would make good motor/trans donors to high-mileage rust-free California trucks? Though I suspect Nissan will just crush them.

JoannaC00kies1

If i had the choice id buy it back as a woods buggy - i should ask.

cpta2020
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot

brev wrote:I just bought a beutiful 03 Pathfinder in April , private party, old lady , one owner.......
I was gonna blow off the recall because the truck is so nice, glad I didnt. I think they did a stage 2 repare.
I gave it a quick look and I could see fresh undercoating on the strut mounts in the wheel well so i figured thart was it.
Well I have been looking at recall info on line all day, I had no idea that this was such a problem.

I have been chasing down a vibration in the front end since I bought it, did an alignment and wheel balance, still there asked the dealer to look into it while it was there
(I hate dealerships) .......what a bunch of dopes. They basiclly didnt want to get into it .

It is now at another shop with a bad wheel bearing, no big deal , but they think that the rear drive shaft is out of balance, they recomend replacement not repair to the tune of $700 for the part. I can do that myself, But has anybody else run into this.
Its also using a ton of oil.
I'm starting to regret buying this thing. WTF
Sounds just like my truck, I just bought it in Excellent conditions, I just spent over $1500 on new tires, replaced all fluids. investigating vibration, I stopped doing any repairs as i'm waiting to take my Pathfinder to Nissan for an inspection. did you balance your drive shaft? i was going to do that once i get my truck back from Nissan and replace the U-joints.

is your vibration still there?

tigger

More update:
After waiting for 2 weeks, Morley didn't call, so I called them.
The first person I spoke transferred my call to someone who handles purchase offer.
To my surprise, they did not have all the information on my car (year, trim, options installed etc).
Then she told me that they are offering the KBB private sale amount. The initial offer was the "Good" private sale amount. After I turned it down, the person said she can move it up to "Excellent" condition amount.

Is this what everyone's dealing? Morley not having you car info and offering you "Good" condition $?

The lady offered me that there's a discount to new Nissan car (she said that based on the model I pick, discount will be different).

MAD2000
Car: 2000 Pathfinder SE

I had the same experience w/Morley. They offered KBB fair and them bumped it to excellent. Still haven't heard from Nissan with the reimbursement. They did offer VPP pricing on a New Pathfinder which is $150 below dealer invoice, a great $30,000 bargain. Now looking at a used Honda pilot or Toyota Highlander. So long Nissan!

poys97
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder XE

seven weeks and counting... all the money wasted on rentals during negotiations is retarded...
Morley upped offer from 2500 KBB to 4950. KBB private sale including my recent tire purchase... My point is we have had no choice and starting point should be retail value - which is what we would have to pay if we walked into a dealer to purchase an identical replacement vehicle. No morley didn't have my specific info on the trim packages...guess I should have said it was loaded...lol...Morley also said the 800.00 of repairs I had done in 2011 would be a nissan consumer affairs issue. I think they figure if they make it chaotic enough a person gets tired of the hassle and just settles for whatever. Plus they insinuate that if you don't accept their offer they choose- you can just have your car back....INSANE

lr35drvr
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Just got back to the dealer here in Virginia. Won't even look at until they have a new kit for prevention in the future.

tigger

Still debating whether to take Morley's offer of KBB "Excellent" private sale value or not. In the meantime, I wrote to WHDH-TV News here in MA. [email protected]
Hoping that someone will help us consumers....

cpta2020
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot

I took My Pathfinder In this morning for the recall.

It was done in Less then an hour, here is what they have done

16430 PERFORMED STRUT TOWER INSPECTION. INSPECTED DRIVE SIDE
STRUT TOWER FOR PERFORATION & SCABING NONE FOUND REC STAGE 1 REPAIR ON
DRIVER SIDE STRUT TOWER. STAGE 1 REPAIR PERFORMED PRIMERED AND
UNDERCOATED DRIVER STRUT TOWER. INSPECTED PASS SIDE STRUT TOWER. NO
PERFORATION FOUND ON STRUT TOWER REC STAGE 1 REPAIR. STAGE 1 REPAIR
PERFORMED PRIMERED AND UNDERCOATED PASS SIDE STRUT TOWER.

it looks like they used the following products

A-4119S PRIMER
051131-08883 RUB/UNDERCOAT

They Said my Path was the best they have seen so far. again total time in the dealership was under an hour.

Good luck to everyone else.

metalfabsteve

At least you guys have a rental car I have been driving my dads ford taurus for the past couple of weeks because I have no faith in the repair work that was done, the vehicles structural integerty is comprimised due to an engineering flaw on nissans part and their solution was fiberglass over the holes! That seems like a good fix for a canoe not the front end of a truck.

patqx4
Car: 2002 QX4

cpta2020 wrote:I took My Pathfinder In this morning for the recall.

It was done in Less then an hour, here is what they have done

16430 PERFORMED STRUT TOWER INSPECTION. INSPECTED DRIVE SIDE
STRUT TOWER FOR PERFORATION & SCABING NONE FOUND REC STAGE 1 REPAIR ON
DRIVER SIDE STRUT TOWER. STAGE 1 REPAIR PERFORMED PRIMERED AND
UNDERCOATED DRIVER STRUT TOWER. INSPECTED PASS SIDE STRUT TOWER. NO
PERFORATION FOUND ON STRUT TOWER REC STAGE 1 REPAIR. STAGE 1 REPAIR
PERFORMED PRIMERED AND UNDERCOATED PASS SIDE STRUT TOWER.

it looks like they used the following products

A-4119S PRIMER
051131-08883 RUB/UNDERCOAT

They Said my Path was the best they have seen so far. again total time in the dealership was under an hour.

Good luck to everyone else.
Same situation I'm in here. No rust damage and "repaired"

Pics of their repair:

To my dismay, they only bothered with the drivers side repair. oh well off to krown I go!

JoannaC00kies1

I got a call from morrl yesterday friday around noon. They said they had to touch basis with me before they sent out an inspector to view the vehicle. She mentioned the dealer deemed it irrepairable and it can take upto two weeks before an inspector can see if its irrepairable in which case they will offer me cash for my vehichle. Seemed nice o

oasisx
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder

Just got my Recall letter in the mail today....but thanks to this forum, i already got it checked out months ago and to my luck my pathfinder was ok.

Pathfinder3.5
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE Gold

Im worried. I know mine isn't nearly as bad as some i've seen on here but still. The way these trucks are dropping dead on here is unbelievable. I can see the three spot welds where the rust is the worst in the first pic and it looks like its starting to rust off. I live in Toronto and they aren't easy on the Salt. 170Kms on the clock and this is what she looks like. I believe most of it is covered up with dirt and a aging undercoat. Let me know what you guys think.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

That's nothing compared to this. But, before you bring to Nissan, tap it lightly with a hammer to see if holes appear... :ohno:

bcterry
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

I dropped my 2001 Pathfinder LE off at Huffman Nissan here in Louisville, KY. I have a Hole about the size of a cantaloupe in driver side wheelwell. I was told that I should not drive the car and Morley has since contacted me. They put me in a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee rental so that was pleasing, I was first put in a Dodge Dakota that was not pleasing. I complained and was taken care of promptly. Morley called and said it would be at least 2 weeks before an inspector would look at my car. If I am not taken care of in this situation I am going to call the WAVE 3 troubleshooter who goes and confronts companies and posts on live news broadcasts also will call State AG Jack Conway whom loves to get cases like this. It is outrageous that Nissan is not handling this personally.

So far so good in my case. I have been a Nissan lifer and I hope i can still be one....

eafin
Car: 99 Pathfinder 106000miles...

Took our 99 PathFinder in today...I was hoping to get 50000 more miles out of her, she's got 106000 on her now.....Love this old girl.....They called, told us car didnt pass, and Nissan wants to buy our car...We will see...When we arrived at the dealer, an Altima was waiting...Sweet car..Will be interesting to see how this pans out....I was just looking at the Dodge Journey as I leased one for several days....What a car...Amazing....So its between a Morano, or the Journey...which road like a dream...Going to test drive the Morano soon...Then I'll know if I'm sticking to Nissan...

morelysux
Car: 99.5 pathfinder

The beginning of the end...my wife purchased her 99.5 pathfinder in 2005. Great truck, have not had to put any money into it since we have had it (with exception to tires, brakes and oil changes). Its been paid off for some time now and its been great not having 2 car payments. Fortunately we don't drive it as much anymore with gas prices being so high. I took it in to a dealership 35 min from our house and was told it was not repairable. I knew this was going to be the case when I took it in because I could feel it in the steering. I did body work for 6 years and it amazes me how a little extra effort by nissan while building these could have prevented the entire thing. Why not spray some under coating on the wheel wells? Or how about wheel well liners? Sounds inexpensive to me but hey I'm not paying $30 dollars a day for my rental. A rental that I try and beat the crap out of just to get a little frustration out of my system. Its rather hard to beat on a sentra though. Anyway, my journey has just started. I dropped my truck off last monday and was told that I would be called in 24 to 48 hours. On friday I got a call from this peach at morely. Stated that she needed my permission to send a rep out to look at my truck, ummmm what the hell do you think? Stated it would be 2 weeks to get a rep out, I replied wow there are that many cars you guys f-ed up? She said if I didn't hear back by 2 weeks to call again, um no you call me. I said well I'm not paying for a rental you guys are so get back to me when you know what your going to do. I'm reading all these replies and I'm dreading the call. I am going to be a giant pain in the a$$. I have a lawyer on standbye to help with the issue. I'm not going to debate with these people. As far as I'm concerned we should be compensated for our time and inconvience. I will not take anything less then excellent value for my truck. I'm not in the market to buy another vehicle nor to I want to be harrassed by those leaches who sell cars. I have 165K on mine and I know I could easily get 100K more. All this on a truck that is paid off. Ill keep everyone posted on my progress, or lack of. I am also going to file a complaint with the BBB and I suggest everyone else do the same. Another option is going to the press, though they are annoying at times they do have the ability to get answers that the general public can't get. Let's keep fighting the fight and remember the sqeaky wheel gets the grease!

bberdel
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder

I am still waiting on an answer - Over 1 month now. I talked to Morley yesterday again (I keep calling them) and they said They inspected and reviewed, but sent a letter to the dealer to let them decide what to do??? Called the dealer, they said they haven't heard from morley. I do like the local dealer though, and they said they would try to get it resolved today. My KBB excellent is close to 11K, but I still do not think that is enough. I only had 80K on mine, just had twins and was not planning on a car payment after october(It will be paid off in October) But I also do not want to drive newborns around in a car that was deemed unrepairable and unsage to drive...I guess we will see.

tigger

I received my offer letter.
After the mention of purchase price, it says "This value was calculated by Nissan, as provided for by federal law, as the original purchase price less depreciation. Depreciated vehicle value has been determined by reference to the Kelley Blue Book “private party value”, accounting for the age of the vehicle, mileage, trim level and other options, and condition.

Please note the vehicle surrender process takes approximately 2-3 weeks from the time we receive your signed acceptance of our repurchase offer. Morley VSPC, our third-party vendor, will contact you directly to set up the date and time of vehicle surrender."

I asked the lady at Morley why they are not offering the KBB excellent retail price (I also mentioned that we are put in this position because of the recall and better price should be considered). Her answer: "We cannot offer retail price because the vehicles cannot be resold." :wtf2:

Anyway, does anyone know what this "federal law" is?
It's in the offer letter and someone's post also mentioned it's in the decline letter...I'd like to know what it is. If anyone knows, please post it. I'd like to know before I sign the document.

metalfabsteve

Here's an update on mine that was fixed. I have been waiting to hear from Nissan head office for three weeks because I complained about how it was fixed and have verbal confirmation from two Ministry of Transport technitions that fiberglass is in no way adiquate to repair frame parts. At first the dealer tells me its as safe as it was new I say B.S. I argued with the service manager about this and it ended with him denying that there was even a hole in the frame! I'm not looking for an arguement so I ask for the number for head office. The office tells me to talk to the service manager at the dealer so I tell him he told me to call head office aaagh! So we sort things out and he tells me he'll see what he can do for me on the truck that was three weeks ago. Tonight I call because I havent heard back from them and I'm gettin kinda sick of having no truck. He told me tonight that the truck is out of its corrosion warranty and if I have a problem with shotty work that I need to take that up with the dealer because they are indapendantly owned wtf is that supposed to mean???? I told him that this is a problem that you're company is admitting fault to I bring it to a Nissan dealer to have it looked after properly and they do some lick and stick repair job to it I'm sorry if the repair dosen't conform to traffic laws than it isn't really fixed now is it. One party is telling me to deal with the other, and their saying the oppisite looks like John Q Public is getting screwed on this one. I wonder how many trucks have been kicked out the door with this so called repair? Does anyone have any opinions feel free to post.

Cheers
Steve

tak24216
Car: 1997 Infiniti QX4

I am so glad I found this site. My 97 QX4 is currently at the dealership ( after a month of talking back and forth with Nissan Consumer affairs. They wouldn't give me a loaner until they had my vehicle inspected and I had to pay for rental out of pocket but this is the least of my complaints now. My car was steering bad and making a clicking noise when making turns. Talked to the dealership today and they said my vehicle does fall under the recall but stage 2 whatever that means. They said they are in process of ordering parts and getting it fixed. I asked if that would take care of the bad steering and noise. He told me "no, the steering problem and noise are because of a bad or lose ball joint and that they can fix it but it will cost me $350.00. Can someone please tell me if this strut housing problem could also affect the ball joint? I am also quite surprised that they found my vehicle repairable. I'm certainly not an expert but when I looked in the wheel well the rust was quite bad. I'm also confused about what and how they actually fix this problem. It makes no sense to me- these stages. I feel I am getting screwed. I'd appreciate any advice. BTW, what is Morleys? I'm located in Iowa and just have dealt with the number on the recall notice from Infiniti and Willis Infiniti in Des Moines.

pissedoff
Car: 1999 pathfinder

I have same issue with my 99 Pathfinder. Has anyone gotten a settlement on a '99 yet? I just wanted to know what to expect for my truck. Thanks

yeldogt
Car: 02 Pathfinder 4X LE (X2)

If you look at the way the truck frame is constructed -- or any unibody for that matter some of the sheet meta is structural and other parts are not -- some people have holes in the inner fender well not the frame rail. Its the frame rail that is the problem.

I'm amazed at some of the picture -- I can't imagine owning a vehicle and not looking at it. I'm in no way saying that this is normal or acceptable -- but 10 year old vehicles do rust and this should be a wake up call for people to understand that they need to check out an old vehicle occasionally ......

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”