1996-2004 Pathfinder / QX4 Strut Housing Corrosion Recall

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Marksjewel wrote: Trying to figure out how to post a picture..
Upload your pics to a hosting site like Photobucket, and copy/paste the img

how-to-post-pictures-using-photobucket-t521110.html

Packrat_Junkie
Car: Pathfinder - still to be bought

Packrat_Junkie wrote:Hello. New to the forum, as I'm contemplating a purchase of a used 2002 Pathfinder LE.
---//---
Should I even spend the time and effort or look at other make/models instead of the Pathfinder?
Well, while waiting for someone to answer this, I began looking at other makes/models of vehicles.
Today, I bought a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sport. Guess I'll be finding a different forum to join now.
Bye! :wavey: -Packrat

Jonthemoon
Car: Pathfinder 2002 LE 4WD. 197K KM Sept 2016

Hi,

Just bought a 2002 Pathy LE this weekend while looking at it back home I noticed some fiberglass behind the wheel on the driver's side. I didn't know about the strut tower issue then... What should I do ?? Did i just buy a junk car ? I surely hope not as I've been looking for a good truck to pull our trailer for a couple weeks now.

Can I just go at Nissan and have them inspect the car and hope for the best ?

Thanks in advance...

Jonthemoon
Car: Pathfinder 2002 LE 4WD. 197K KM Sept 2016

Hi, I just called Nissan and they told me that the recall was done. I see on the driver's side a big patch of fiberglass with something like mudguard applied to it. From outside there isn't any signs of rust. I'll try looking at the inside this evening. On the passenger side, I didn't see any hole or big rust. I guess if i'm ok I'll just try to grease that each year to make sure everything's fine...

yeldogt
Car: 02 Pathfinder 4X LE (X2)

In the early days they would do anything from an inspection to adding the braces. I had to take my 02 in to have the air bag recall .. Nissan required the strut recall. By this time they were telling the dealers to install the braces -- even if no rust was evident. So getting the braces does not = rust. I believe the fiberglass was used to cover non critical rust areas -- to stop water infiltration. You must have had some rust if you have a fiberglass patch

kjbigslim
Car: 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder

Mine is a rust bucket, I thought it was because it came from an area where they salted the roads. When I took my pathfinder in for the fuel leak recall, they also recommended that I do this, but my suspension was all custom at that point, and I kind of torched into the strut tower a little bit for additional clearance.

WhoDatPopcorn
Car: 2001 Pathfinder 3.5 SE 2wd

Good thing I saw this thread. Been driving my truck for a week now...just took a peak and it looks like the previous owner had it done

QCtech
Car: 2003 Pathfinder LE

I just bought a 2003 Pathfinder LE and after getting out the transmission , forward differential, exhaust and everything else to replace the rear main oil seal found about this. When I was putting everything back I noticed this small corroded part of the strut tower. I touched the inner wall and a piece collapsed. I started removing the corrosion and now there are several holes , as big as 2x4 inches average. I read the service bulletin and my damage will fall into the non repairable category. Have anyone got reimbursed this year on a 2003 or similar and got Kelly blue book values or better? My path looks almost new. Everything inside and out looks perfect except that seal that I already changed and the sender unit of the gas tank that seems to be stuck. I also replaced the oil cooler seals and the aluminum oil pan seals. If I have to bring my Path to give it to them and have it impounded , I want at least the Kelly Blue book excellent value. I can not buy a new car now and I already expend money and time in repairing this one. I have the skills and tools to buy a stainless steel plate and weld it to that area and then buy the repair kit and install it better than the factory does. For what I have read here, it seems that many of the dealerships are installing this poorly and only giving a 2 year warranty, after which it comes back and people have no more remedy. Can someone that have been reimbursed recently tell me which is the metric or going rate at which they are reimbursing the money?? Thanks.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

QCtech wrote:I just bought a 2003 Pathfinder LE and after getting out the transmission , forward differential, exhaust and everything else to replace the rear main oil seal found about this. When I was putting everything back I noticed this small corroded part of the strut tower. I touched the inner wall and a piece collapsed. I started removing the corrosion and now there are several holes , as big as 2x4 inches average. I read the service bulletin and my damage will fall into the non repairable category. Have anyone got reimbursed this year on a 2003 or similar and got Kelly blue book values or better? My path looks almost new. Everything inside and out looks perfect except that seal that I already changed and the sender unit of the gas tank that seems to be stuck. I also replaced the oil cooler seals and the aluminum oil pan seals. If I have to bring my Path to give it to them and have it impounded , I want at least the Kelly Blue book excellent value. I can not buy a new car now and I already expend money and time in repairing this one. I have the skills and tools to buy a stainless steel plate and weld it to that area and then buy the repair kit and install it better than the factory does. For what I have read here, it seems that many of the dealerships are installing this poorly and only giving a 2 year warranty, after which it comes back and people have no more remedy. Can someone that have been reimbursed recently tell me which is the metric or going rate at which they are reimbursing the money?? Thanks.
If you have the skills to repair it yourself, and the rest of the truck is in as good a condition as you say it is, then I wouldn't take it to a dealer.
If it is deemed not road worthy, then you may not get your truck back, and you won't be compensated for all of the upgrades or repairs (money) that you put into it.
If you want to get rid of it though, then take it in.
Keep us posted.

WarriorWSU
Car: Nissan Pathfinder SE

Guys,
I just discovered mine has the problem as listed. The gap in the left side is already 2" and 1" on the right side. This is a 2001 model I found with 62000 miles, never thought of a problem like this to Arise. I personally think it can still be fixed but will take to rebuild or reinforce the frame portion where the strut tower attaches to. In the other hand, the value on KBB for retail is 3000 to 4000(excellent); what kind of value you think they will assign to it if deemed not repairable? sold to dealer value is $1200

WarriorWSU
Car: Nissan Pathfinder SE

Does anybody knows if the Recall is still on? can find the NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 11V244000

missionstreet
Car: 98 Pathfinder

^^ x2

anyonebutme
Car: 2002 QX4

I tried my local Infiniti dealer, and they told me the recall was already completed (Inspection only, no work was done, not even undercoating), and I'm out of luck and I could try calling corporate. I'm going to stop in and see what I can do, and if not getting it fixed if I can get the reinforcement plates from them and do it myself and weld in patches instead of the crap fiberglass patching they do.

anyonebutme

Well, the story remained the same for me. Basically the end word is "the recall was completed, and that's the end of their problem". Now, had the recall not been completed then they would have done it then. Now, I was told I can escalate with corporate and they may agree with me and then the dealer would do the reinforcements, but I don't want a pissed off tech or service writer working on my stuff. So I purchased the reinforcement pieces and will do it myself. Doing it myself was the original plan since I have a lift ect, but I figured it was worth a shot to get it done for free. FYI total cost of all the materials is just under $300 and is supposed to take 6 hours not including drying time. My repair will take longer as I'm welding in new metal to replace the holes, but should be a way more solid repair.

Now, here is where I have the upper hand and why I think I could force Infiniti to do the full repair. The bare minimum repair Nissan says to do is to prime and undercoat the wheel well. The dealer who performs the recall is required to do these steps to every car that comes in for this recall. Mine has NOT been primed or undercoated, therefore the recall according to NHTSA has never been done on mine. I'm not pursuing this further simply because I'm betting it will cost me more in time and energy fighting this than I'd save by having them do it. I bet lawyers would have to be involved before the dealer or Nissan budges.

If you have a QX or Pathfinder and have rust or in my case separated tower. My advice IF you have no evidence of 3M rubber undercoating in the wheel wells is to print out the 2013 recall PDF on the first post, and take it in with you and talk to the service manager and not a service writer. Show him page 3 that specifically says the dealer will perform at minimum a level 1 repair to every vehicle, and show him your car that doesn't have a level 1 repair done (undercoating). Tell him this proves that legally speaking the recall was never performed at all. If you absolutely need to press the issue, you might want to think about the fact that a dealer who charges Nissan for completing a recall it didn't physically do is fraud plain and simple. If you do have undercoating, I'm not sure what your options are then, maybe you have to talk to corporate.

amb4081
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

Greetings, everyone. I was hoping I would NEVER have to address this particular topic/post again. But here we are again. My 01 Pathfinder LE was addressed with a Level 1 "repair" a few years back. And I have not driven the vehicle more than 3-5K miles a year. It is always garaged and underbody cleaned off after winter.

Well, over the weekend, I happened to notice the front passenger side strut tower in horrible condition. Not only has the so-called "REPAIR" issued under the recall not done its job, but the corrosion is exponentially worse than I could have ever imagined. In fact, there is a 6-8" crack in the strut tower itself...originated from the problem area that was supposedly addressed by Nissan. For now, the truck is parked.

Is there any recourse with Nissan? I mean let's be honest. Their RECALL was no solution. In my case, it bought them a little additional time by kicking the problem down the road a few years, hoping the vehicle would either be sold or totaled. Their "SOLUTION" certainly was not meant to last for the true life of the vehicle. I have sent a note to corporate and to a local dealer. I am awaiting a response from both.

Have any of you had any similar experiences like this?

Thanks,

Aaron

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

With the luxury of having a California car with none of this that I can tell, what is the best way to prevent it in the future? It may be earlier in the thread, but I have been thru it all once or twice at least and haven't seen it. Paint? Zinc paint? Undercoating? Brushable undercoating on seams? Rattlecan undercoating? This is an occasional vacation vehicle purchased specifically for the 4WD, but that doesn't mean I don't want it to last either.

Rockwood

Mike:

"Anyonebutme" did a thread where he welded in new sheetmetal and completed the repairs himself. Search the forum for his thread - it is a pretty good look at a bad rust case.

If your vehicle has not been in for the recall yet, Infiniti still does it for free. They now do both front wheelwells. They will also do the passenger airbag recall. So that is the easiest way to go.

If your vehicle has already been thru the recall, but Infiniti did not do anything ( in the early days of the recall if there was no rust, then they gave it a pass and did nothing) then I would suggest as follows:

Your original Infiniti rust proofing is doing fine since you have no rust. I would clean the area pretty well, and then spray with two coats of a rust proofing primer. Then do brushable undercoating over the entire area.

Cold zinc undercoating is kind of iffy, and you would need to strip down to metal to properly apply it. That is not necessary given your condition.

You could use spray undercoating if you wish - I find the brushable kind to be a heavier duty coating than spray on types.

That should easily last the life of the vehicle in the dryish environment you are in.

cmx378
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot Edition (XE)

Hey everyone, I'm new here but thought I would contribute to this thread regarding the front strut recall. I recently purchased (Nov. 24, 2018) a 2002 Pathfinder Chilkoot Edition (XE) with 191,500 KMs and I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. This is my second Pathfinder, my first was a 1999 SE, which was unfortunately written off in early 2015 when a drunk driver rear-ended me in a parking lot (I was parked), and I never had either the passenger air bag or front strut recall done.

Recently, I brought this "new" (2002) to my nearest Nissan dealership (Northside Nissan) to get both the front struts and passenger air bag recall done. At first, they only did the Level 1 (undercoat) in the front wheel wells since this Pathfinder was well taken care of and had little to no rust in the first place (except for in the rear quarters).

However, a week later, the dealership called me and the Service Advisor said that when they submitted the paperwork for the Level 1 recall, Nissan HQ said that they wanted the dealership to contact me to bring the vehicle back so that a Level 2 (bracing) can be done on it. I was actually pretty happy to hear they were willing to go a little bit further than just the Level 1 (undercoat). So, this Friday, I will be bringing my Pathfinder back to have that done (at no cost, of course). It seems like the recall campaign is still in effect, thankfully.

MillerTime11
Car: Nissan Pathfinder

Just took my 98 in for this. Only light rust on driver side and nothing on passenger. Made an appointment to bring it back in a few weeks so they can do the repairs. I know they will repair the rust spot and just spray coat the passenger side.

Does anyone know if they will brace both sides or just the one with rust?

Smokeeater
Car: ???

Well After reading all the recent posts I have a couple questions

1. If the grey fibreglass was done in 2011, but now it's rusting out and needs bracing, would they cover that? Dealer mentioned once you've claimed, thats it.

2. Can you buy the brace kits from the Parts departments to have it done elsewhere?

2002 Pathfinder LE
205,000 km

Everettreese
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE M/T 4x4 Bone stock

I have a 97 with some pretty bad rust, seriously love this car and it's ideal for me as an electrician and redneck. I can't imagine a more well suited vehicle. But it has some rust holes in the strut towers and I'm extremely worried now. I was planning on keeping this car for many years but if nissan is going to take it from me and leave me to buy a new car, I can't afford one.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”