1996-2004 Pathfinder / QX4 Strut Housing Corrosion Recall

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
shark2
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE

:dblthumb: I’m the original owner of an ’01, but never received the recall notice. Happened to read about it, and immediately brought my car to the local dealer (the dealer where I bought it from is long gone). They did level 2 repairs and fiberglass repairs to both the left and right sides.
I have major concerns about whether or not the work was done correctly, and if the dealers are merely using the recall as an excuse to get older vehicles back into their shops so they have an opportunity to scare owners into paying overinflated prices for other work that’s not needed.
After I dropped my truck off they called me claiming that my truck needed new struts that would cost $780 including parts and labor. First of all my truck does not need new struts, and even if it did you get buy well known brand name aftermarket ones for $50 each. Dealer price for the part alone is a breathtaking $329 each for genuine Nissan ones. And the labor charge was bogus as Nissan was already paying the dealer to remove and reinstall the struts as part of the recall repair.
When I told them I did not want the work done, they tried to alarm me by claiming the truck might not ride the same after removing and reinstalling the existing struts.
They also told me I needed new rear shock absorbers at a cost of $396 including labor. Besides the fact that my truck does not need new shock absorbers, you can buy well known brand name ones for $25 each (dealer price for the part alone is $104 each, and there’s no way it would take more than an hour (the dealer’s labor rate is $115 per hour) to replace them.
Finally, they insisted my truck needed to have the fuel injectors cleaned (it doesn’t), and they proposed to do this for $175!
They called me later in the day and told me the recall repairs were complete and that my truck could be picked up, despite that it was raining. Guess they missed the section of the recall instructions from Nissan that tells them that the undercoating needs 24 hours to cure before exposure to water.
So I wonder what other short cuts they took that are not apparent yet.
Finally, when I picked up the truck, before I even drove away I noticed the check engine light was lit. I had to sit it their customer waiting lounge for nearly an hour while they took it back into the shop. They told me that during the technician had to turn on the ignition for some reason, and that fact that some wire was disconnected turned the light on. Fair enough, but why would they return the truck to me with the light on? Another indication of corners being cut…
A few hours later I went to use the truck, and the light was back on. I called the dealer, and told one of the service writers, Richard said (contrary to what I was told when I picked up the truck) the code indicated a problem with the purge valve). I told him I would call back to schedule a time to bring the car back.
I happen to have a code reader, and that evening I pulled the code, p1130, which indicates an issue with a swirl valve. When I called back the next morning to make an appointment, I told Dominick (another service writer the indicated code, and he told me the swirl valve and purge valve are the same (they are not even related). I brought the car back, and waited while they looked at it. After about 90 minutes they told me they found that their technician had reversed two of the vacuum hoses, and everything now seemed fine.
Out of curiosity this weekend I took a look at the repairs, and noticed one of the bolts that holds the airbox on the car is missing (see the first attached pic, this is where the airbox should be attached to the fender). Is this a serious issue?. Also, note the second pic which shows serious rust where the top of the left strut tower is welded to what I think they call the strut housing panel.
I read the Recall Campaign Bulletin, and it mentions nothing about rust in this location, but isn’t this serious? I’m very surprised they would give me the truck back without making a similar repair here. No way the tech working on my truck could not have noticed as it was right where he was working under the hood!

Pathfinder2002

shark,

Was wondering if you can post pictures before and after shots of the rust? I wanted see rust spots on the tower and areas effected by the repair. Honestly, I was having the same problems but the rust hole became a major problem only after 6 months. It fell in the buy back program and I suspect your SUV will too even with the repairs done. I wouldn't worry about it. It's just a bunch of headaches dealing with nissan and morleys.

themixerdoc
Car: 1998 Infiniti QX4

I know I am late to the party but here goes. Was looking for an SUV with automatic as wife said she no longer wanted to even attempt to drive our little 5 speed Saturn Vue (which BTW was in close to perfect condition and sold in 2 days :frown: ). Just last week I thought I had found the vehicle of my dreams. Something built like a Suburban but shrunken down to fit in my garage and easier to drive.
History
This is a near showroom condition 98 QX4. It had everything on wife's "hit list" and was clean low miles (only 115k). Oddly they just had new struts installed. Anyway they (PO) had purchased the car from a good friend who was original owner. It was their "baby".
So after purchasing I read about this. Called PO never got a notice, called Nissan and Infiniti dealer (closest Infiniti dealer about 65 miles away), and Nissan dealer will not touch it. Recalls were never done (both fuel neck and strut). So with much trepidation I look under truck and find the area described to be a mess (given condition and low miles I NEVER thought to look at this). I could literally put my finger through this mess.
Infinity dealer is ordering fuel parts and will call to let me know when in. Also informed me about 10 to 15% of them end up being taken off the road.
I can't believe my shiny (new to me) dream truck is such a mess! How could Edmunds.com rate this thing as one of the best SUV's ever?!
For now color me really SAD and pissed at myself for not doing more homework

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

What part of the country are you in?
Are you in a snow belt? Salty roads in winter?

The R50's are indeed great SUV's....if you live in Florida, or Arizona.
If you're in a rust belt, forget it.
The junkyards where I live are full of them, all because of rust.

spg240sx

Does anybody know if there is a time requirement for how long you had to have owned or titled the vehicle? I recently purchased a QX4 before I knew about this recall and now I have concerns about the strut tower. Will they still repair or repurchase (if bad enough) if I haven't owned the vehicle very long? Anybody else have experience with this and short ownership period?

Thanks for your info in advance.

jrylands

There shouldnt be any time limit. Youll have to call infiniti's corprate office to see if the recall has already be preformed. Our steering shaft broke as my family and I were driving down the highway. As I was trying to figure out were to buy just the shaft from i ran across this recall and got out of my truck looked in the wheel well and sure enough the strut tower had pulled away and had been rubbing the steering shaft. That was Saturday night 0ct. 18 2014. Monday I called the closest dealer which is were i assumed the recall would have been preformed if it had been, they refered me to the corprate number stating they could search recalls on that old of vehicles. So as my luck would have it the recall had been preformed and considered level 1. At this point i was contacted by consumer affairs and told to get it in for inspection. I had the vehicle towed to the dealer to be inspected for a failed recall and the knew it was coming tuesday. Wednseday evening i called before they closed and they had no idea the car was there even though i told them it was heading there way the day before. So i waited until Friday afternoon and called to see if they got it in yet and they informed me they had not and didnt have keys, so after talking with tow guy and them it turns out they lost my key. The following tuesday we end up having to take our other key up there so they can look at our truck.
The consumer affairs guy informs me at this point that they cant help me but want me to get them pictures and hes gonna send them to another department and get them to do something under this recall which i thought we were already doing. So as i feel ive already been a nuisance i waited around until friday and I call in the morning and informed they still havent got it in yet but planned to go it that afternoon.
Right after that im contacted by consumer affairs and told theres nothing they will do for me they had it looked at and its all on me . I was confused because i just got off the phone with the dealership and they told me it hasn't been yet. So i call back and inform the service writer of what i just found out and hes says he'll look into it. So 6hrs later i get a call back from another guy from the dealership and he tells me that the service writer was out of the loop and that engineering had call and asked if he could get it on the lift and stated that he couldnt because they didnt have our consent. UMMMM! Isnt that why i had it towed 65-70 miles is so you guys could look at it? so he said engineering asked him to pop the hood, asked if the steering shaft was broke and he confirmed, next they asked if the strut tower was intact he said it wasnt(which it was), they said ok is there anything interfering with the steering shaft he said no(which there was) they then said thats all they needed then tells me they can put the new shaft in and he'll get me a quote for parts and labor. I was like what about where my lower strut towers tore away from the vehicle. He said engineering said that wasnt a concern it wasnt part of the structural intergrity of the vehicle. I then asked why my steering column just snapped in two because that sounds to me like a bigger saftey concern in itself. And they more or less said i was hard on it, off roading stuck in snow what have you. Which ive never does any of this is my wifes car. At this point I was mad as h#ll. So now Tuesday the 4th of November 2014 I leave work early because now i have to drive all the way up there so i can get there before they close and show them why they are wrong and ask what they were even looking at. So I get the service writer and the guy that talked to engineering and get them to give me the run day and the tell me again everything that happened, I again asked if he looked in the wheel well and he said he did but that wasnt the effected or targeted area of the recall, so i pulled out the recall info that nissan sent to the dealer that i got from the beginning of this thread and was like b*llsh!t the whole inner fender well is the problem area (I think they were a little surprised to see me have that, so thanks for that!) i then took him into the engine compartment and had them look at the innerside of the strut tower and you could see marks where the steering column had been rubbing it. He was like "oh I didnt even get down and look at it like you are, um sorry sir im probably not the most mechanically inclinded person to have been out here talking with them." REALLY!!! Why the F@&% where you then? Why wasnt one of your TECH WHOSE DONE THESE INSPECTIONS AND REPAIRS OUT ON THE PHONE WITH THEM! So now ive showed them were they screwed up and they saying oh no dont take the car your just gonna leave this here and were gonna get it in and tore down and get pictures taken and see if we can get this case reopened. Of course your not gonna let it leave your lot you know its a MAJOR liability. So now after all this its finally gonna get tore down. But my thing is and the whole reason for this post is, as much as i love my truck, I dont want it back! Because remember its already had the recall preformed, and only deteriorated to the Point of a catstrophic failure! I told them i didnt want it back because they already proved to me it cant be fixed. The the level two repair is jank as f@#%! No way will i put my family in a vehicle that has had that done because that is not safe. Moral of my story is KEEP an eye on your repair. And dont let them bully you by saying well its been preformed already. I'll update this after i find out what happens next.

Pathfinder2002

Yet another story of the level 2 repair leads to another failure. These trucks should be taken off the road and any repairs beyond new under coatings should be consider dangerous and part of the buy back program. Rust under the paint will lead to rust in both sides of the strut towers and complete failure in 3 years after exposure. I've sent on my Pathfinder and many many more. Where is the legal action against Nissan?

greengumby
Car: 2002 Pathfinder- "ole Rusty"
2006 Honda Pilot

I'm looking in just buying the repair kit for the passenger side ..it needs it .. any place to order this kit ?

greengumby
2006 Honda Pilot

Called the Nissan customer care line about this recall according to them as of (12/29/2014 ) This campaign is considered closed. As for the repair kit for the passenger side ?

There is none its a fiberglass / body filler hope the heck it holds fix that they have recommended on the TSB.

apvm

It is not closed yet, at least in Canada.

rgk
Car: 02 Pathfinder LE 3.5 auto 4x4

At the dealer now, waiting to get my passenger air bag replaced and driver's strut housing inspected per recall. The clerk told me that they will likely have to at least put a plate on the housing, despite me not seeing any rust, because just about every vehicle they get in needs it. I'll report back with more details...

rgk
Car: 02 Pathfinder LE 3.5 auto 4x4

Service manager reports no rust. They are going to put a preventative protective coating on it. I'm OK with that.

lazerbacon
Car: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE

I am having the same issue. Purchased the vehicle 2 weeks ago. I am pleased and its in good condition. 1998 Pathfinder XE (67k miles) and I am in a listed salt state. I took the truck into a Nissan dealer and they informed me this vehicle had a "level 1" recall already done (in 2011). They hit it with some primer and weather-coat. But it still continued to rust. One touch from me and the coating just crumbled off.

So they informed they cant do anything because the recall was completed already in 2011. I contacted Nissan directly and they got my info. I then setup an inspection back at the same dealership. When I arrived they eventually looked at my vehicle. They did a "12" point inspection for some reason and came back to me with a bunch of bogus repairs. Did not inspect the strut tower at all. So I informed him that I was only here for the strut tower recall. He said a "master technician" would need to inspect that. I am taking it back tomorrow for the "official inspection".

Anyhow, at this point I would not trust this place to do my oil changes. I am going to attempt to purchase the legit repair kit that includes the bracket from a Nissan dealer. It looks pretty straight forward on the install as detailed by the OP with the pdf links. Here are some photos. Got any info for me? :wtf2:

My driver side wheel well.

Bracket from the recall PDF in the first post.

lazerbacon
Car: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE

UPDATE! I went to the dealer today and was able to order the driver side repair bracket.

# F4195-0W00C - Driver side Bracket: $75.00
# F4194-0W00A - Passenger side Bracket: $230

Each bracket comes with all the bolts required. The other materials such as the weather-coating and adhesives are easily obtainable elsewhere at a better price. I simply do not trust my local Nissan dealership after what I experienced yesterday. You want it done right either do it yourself or get the parts and have a reputable shop do it! Time to grind out some rust! :rotfl

oasisx
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder

I was doing some work on my car today when I noticed my drivers side wheel well with a couple of holes in it. I had then my truck in for the recall about 3 years ago and they sent me home saying my car was fine, and at the time it was. However now it appears to have gotten very bad and now has holes in it.

Will nissan rectify this situation even though I already brought my vehicle in for the recall years ago?

Here are some pics: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 33e720.jpg

Hopefully that link works

greengumby
2006 Honda Pilot

lazerbacon wrote:UPDATE! I went to the dealer today and was able to order the driver side repair bracket.

# F4195-0W00C - Driver side Bracket: $75.00
# F4194-0W00A - Passenger side Bracket: $230

Each bracket comes with all the bolts required. The other materials such as the weather-coating and adhesives are easily obtainable elsewhere at a better price. I simply do not trust my local Nissan dealership after what I experienced yesterday. You want it done right either do it yourself or get the parts and have a reputable shop do it! Time to grind out some rust! :rotfl
OMG why the passenger side so $$$ ??? I went to the stealership they stated that they don't carry this part any longer ... Have any1 else had any luck ? I seriously need it for the passenger side :) would this be the same ? Nissan Gus Hodldge Kit, Part Number F4194-0W00A

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

jrylands wrote: But my thing is and the whole reason for this post is, as much as i love my truck, I dont want it back! Because remember its already had the recall preformed, and only deteriorated to the Point of a catstrophic failure! I told them i didnt want it back because they already proved to me it cant be fixed. The the level two repair is jank as f@#%! No way will i put my family in a vehicle that has had that done because that is not safe. Moral of my story is KEEP an eye on your repair. And dont let them bully you by saying well its been preformed already. I'll update this after i find out what happens next.
So where's your update?
What happened????

Josh G.
Car: '98 QX4 "Project: Goldfinger"

I just got my 98 QX4 (from a charity auction, no history available) a few days ago. Is this recall still in effect?

atraudes
Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4 4WD

Josh G. wrote:I just got my 98 QX4 (from a charity auction, no history available) a few days ago. Is this recall still in effect?
Yes it is. Just head into a dealership and they'll be able to tell you whether it's had the repair done, and if it's needed. Come to think of it, they could probably tell you whether it's been done over the phone just by giving them the VIN. I've got my fingers crossed you're good to go!

chase707
Car: 2002 nissan pathfinder se 4x4 3.5 v6

Hello everyone so I'm curious if this would have affect on my 2002 nissan pathfinder s.e? And if so would nissan hommie that even though I bought it from a private party?

adamt314
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 3.5L

After many months of procrastination, I finally took my 2002 Pathfinder in for the check. The inspection didn't uncover negative impacts. I was surprised they still performed the inspection even though the initial recall came out many years ago.

NissanFam

Hi all,

I have a 97 Pathfinder I picked up a couple years ago as a winter vehicle/family hauler. Came across this post so took a look at my drivers side. This is what I found.

Took it to the dealer and they have had it for the last week. They say it's fixable and ordered the strut tower repair kit. The metal was flaking away above and below that big hole. Pretty scary stuff. I would have thought that it was bad enough to scrap.

tahoefever
Car: 2002 Pathfinder - Daily driver luv it ..rusty as Heck but still going
04 Tahoe police edition

NissanFam wrote:Hi all,

I have a 97 Pathfinder I picked up a couple years ago as a winter vehicle/family hauler. Came across this post so took a look at my drivers side. This is what I found.

Took it to the dealer and they have had it for the last week. They say it's fixable and ordered the strut tower repair kit. The metal was flaking away above and below that big hole. Pretty scary stuff. I would have thought that it was bad enough to scrap.

Happy to hear someone was able to get this fixed here in upstate NY they consider this recall closed and yes they will be glad to fix the issue for you still for a nice $950 !.. I just came from the dealership here in Rockland county , called the Nissan customer care line ... they stated nothing that they will do at this time for me .

I managed to order the parts myself online from a dealership in RI under $200 did the job myself . :)

dcampbellava
Car: 2003 NISSAN PATHFINDER ME 4×4

I have a 2003 pathy that is experiencing shimmy and rocking, seemingly from the rear end...Not a mechanic by any means, but I wonder if tje corrosion issue on front struts cold casus this? Had mechanic look at front suspension recently and said everything was good. No one seems to know what is causing the rear end issue either. Suggestions?

atraudes

Sort of a fishtailing feeling, right? The "death sway" as it's affectionately known, is a common problem on our vehicles that's caused by the bushings on the rear control arms wearing out. Check out this thread on the subject.

Good to hear your front end looks good :bigthumb: That's a problem you don't want!

BlackyBulger
Car: Infiniti qx4

Infiniti claims the recall was already performed does this mean I'm sore out of luck? Only 142k miles too... Has anyone ever installed the kit by themselves?

shark2
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE

The fact that Nissan is telling owners that the recall is closed or refusing to make needed repairs a second time is simply an outrage! For those who have been faced with this, you need to send a letter to NHTSA right away detailing your experiences, so that NHTSA can force them to comply, and hopefully levy heavy fines as they did with FCA, and also hopefully bring criminal actions against the manufacturer and dealer executives who have made these decisions. Simply no excuse for this as people's lives are being put in danger. Hopefully the news media will pick up on this too. OUTAGEOUS!!!

atraudes

shark2: Agreed! To quote a great dinosaur dude: "I don't blame people for their mistakes. But I do ask that they pay for them."

BlackyBulger: It sounds like lazerbacon got the same response as you and was going the DIY route. You can see the prices he was quoted above. If he or someone else doesn't reply back, try sending him a PM. I'd rattle some cages first, though, or at least hit up a few dealerships to see if you get different responses. It's pretty ridiculous that they're single-cheeking this recall.

BlackyBulger
Car: Infiniti qx4

Sadly, I called The Nissan number listed on the recall bulletin.. and was told there are no open recalls. and it would be customer pay... this was the Infiniti Corporate office as i asked her if there is anyone else I can speak to.

I'll try giving the NTHSA... sad thing is everything works in this SUV

charl2013
Car: 2001 Nissan Patfinder LE, 3.5 L 6 CYL. WITH PATROL PACKAGE LOADED

I brought my 01 Pathfinder LE, super black, black leather interior, dual heated seats, fully loaded to dealer for inspection of strutt towers. All options still function properly, some small dings and scratched paint, and a few minor cosmetics needed inside. My engine was upgraded with a patrol package when New, It functioned like a brand New car. I need help figuring out what kind of buy back I should accept. Blue book does not consider different engine. I LOVE MY CAR. ONLY THING WRONG

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”