1996-2004 Pathfinder / QX4 Strut Housing Corrosion Recall

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

The first page has a link to a PDF detailing exactly where to look in the wheel wells for any significant rust. I'd bring a hammer along too - lightly tap in the wheel wells, if anything disintegrates, run...

Welcome to NICO!

Tadg37
Car: 1999 Infinity QX4

Hi All,
Well I brought my 99 QX4 in and they deemed it non reparable and now the fun has started. I spoke to Morley last Friday and they sent me the offer to buy my car letter/email with the take it or leave amount of $4092 (Kelly Blue Book for private party sale good condition). I only have till Friday and I don't know what they may try to pull if I reject the offer. This is the first one, they have me in a rental and they said if I don't accept I need to return the rental, "make arrangement to get my own vehicle or possibly face other charges from the dealer like storage if it stays on the lot and charges on the loaner car every day after that if its not returned. Last week the KellyBB had my car at $4775 in excellent and of course today it's dropped to $4395, KellyBB for retail was $5775 today it's at $5545 . I still owe $3400 on it

I don't have much money and I expected to have this vehicle for a long time and I am looking everywhere for advice on the actual negotiation process, how much of an s.o.b. should I be? Could I or should I drive out your old car or could they stop you me and say you could only get it towed out? I see all these owners that got fair retail prices and then some. I'm kind of concerned if I take back the loaner car and drive my car out can they just wash their hands of the whole thing and I'll be stuck with the QX4 that they don't have to buy back? If I do take my car I need to put tires on it should I do that and expect to be reimbursed? Help...any info appreciated.
:confused:

tml2340
Car: 03 Infiniti QX4; 95 Miata M Edtn, 96 Miata M Edtn, 96 Miata, 01 Miata, 95 Maxima GLE, 95 Maxima GXE

I'll be interested, too, in responses to tadg37's above post...

As mentioned in my earlier post, I did go ahead and purchase the 04 QX4 with 94,100 miles for what I thought was a very fair price from a local Lexus dealer. Interior and exterior are in excellent condition. Very clean, obviously well-maintained and no rust - other than the affected areas in both front wheel wells, which was definitely there, but to my untrained eye appeared to fall into the level 1 or 2 repairable categories.

I'd been looking for Pathfinders when I found this very nice QX4. What does an excellent condition '04 QX4 with 94K miles value out at in today's market? It'd be nice to get some validation of values or expected buy-outs in case I did indeed end up buying a very large paperweight.

Qxxx4
Car: 1999.5 Infiniti QX4, 2012 Mustang

tml2340 wrote:I'll be interested, too, in responses to tadg37's above post...

As mentioned in my earlier post, I did go ahead and purchase the 04 QX4 with 94,100 miles for what I thought was a very fair price from a local Lexus dealer. Interior and exterior are in excellent condition. Very clean, obviously well-maintained and no rust - other than the affected areas in both front wheel wells, which was definitely there, but to my untrained eye appeared to fall into the level 1 or 2 repairable categories.

I'd been looking for Pathfinders when I found this very nice QX4. What does an excellent condition '04 QX4 with 94K miles value out at in today's market? It'd be nice to get some validation of values or expected buy-outs in case I did indeed end up buying a very large paperweight.
from what I hear, if they deem it unrepairable they will pay you bluebook +$1000

tml2340
Car: 03 Infiniti QX4; 95 Miata M Edtn, 96 Miata M Edtn, 96 Miata, 01 Miata, 95 Maxima GLE, 95 Maxima GXE

Well, took my "brand new" (to me) '03 QX4 into Dreyer and Reinbold Infiniti here in Indy yesterday and just got "the call" from them, and it's BREAKING NEWS, apparently...

Says that until 3 days ago, my car would have been unrepairable. But just this week Nissan apparently amended the recall and the repair procedures which now renders very few cars unrepairable. Anyone have knowledge of this, or know where to look for the latest on the recall?

Mixed feelings here... glad we're gonna keep the QX4, but not so sure I want to be one of the first to try out these new repair procedures.

quaint bucket
Car: 97 path

^ Sounds like you should get everything in writing to say "YES, THIS CAR IS 100% SAFE FOREVER AND EVER"

I got mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I have had this vehicle for 6 months and I love it. On the other hand, I'm glad I found out now before doing any repairs to the vehicle (and thus not cost me any more than what I've put down for it). I've just contacted the nearest dealership about bringing my car in for inspection. Hope I get a call back about that soon otherwise I will have to bring it in.

I did some serious rust repair on the body (and lost my running boards as a result too) so I'm not very confident that my car will survive the recall. I'm really sad about this right now and don't want to deal with the canadian insurance adjuster.

e: I looked on KBB, NADA, and CUB. If it becomes "UNREPAIRABLE" then I'm grabbing all the craigslist ads to push for a big buyback so I can pick up another SUV/offroad rig.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

I will need to dig up the amended/updated recall. This is news to me.

It looks like an amended TSB/recall dated January 10, 2012 can be found here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/ja ... 4-9440.pdf
But that just changes some parts information and does not amend any of the main body of the recall.

AlexTucker
Car: 2003 QX4

Has any one seen the Updated recall? My trucks going in Monday and I'm not interested on receiving a bubblegum patch or an unsafe truck back.

If a truck was unsafe before, How does a few small changes make it "Safe" ? Not impressed. Ive read a lot about the procedures and I don't believe some small bolts, construction glue and some fiberglass are an appropriate fix.

sherp

Well they repaired my QX4 and gave it back to me despite saying it's "unsafe to drive". I had holes all over the wheel well, no perforations in "Area 1", but I did have bubbling and flaking paint in "Area 2" on both sides. Their repair work doesn't look too great to me. Here are some pics:

Unpatched hole in driver's side strut tower

Unpatched hole in passenger side strut tower

ABS harness cover in contact with end link

Frame rusted front right lift point

Good patchwork?

AlexTucker

See, This is the garbage I was talking about. Mechanics who are underpaid for the amount of repairs that need to be done. This truck should have been written off, and the owner compensated for it.

I hope they write my death trap of a truck off and I never have to Look at that miserable headache ever again.

AlexTucker

*****UPDATE*******

So This morning I get a call from Infiniti informing me my truck is fixed and ready to go!

... So How did they do this? Since there was a rust hole in area 2 the size of my fist, right where the four rivets are installed.

So I didn't say anything to the service adviser I just picked up my truck, Returned my rental and drove to my house. The Truck was shaking quiet bad on the drivers side while I was driving home ( NEVER DID THAT BEFORE )

So I had my Son jack up the truck, lo and behold my freaking wheel inst even tight! So we took off the drivers side wheel (all the lug nuts were stripped from over tightening) And there it is.. a MESS of a so called patch that they THREW on the side of my strut tower with some screws and the worst fiberglass i've ever seen. I looked around, still rust showing threw in places. No Problem, I was intrested in how the hell they even got the damn thing to stay on there since there was a gaping HOLE right where the MANDATORY RIVET NUTS GO!

**** Lower holes - Required: Rivet Nuts are required in the lower holes (indicated with dashed line in Figure RB10).
If the metal in the area of the lower holes will not support the Rivet Nuts, then the vehicle is “not repairable”: Retain the vehicle at the dealer, supply the customer with a rental car, and Fax a completed Non-Repairable Report to Morley (see page 53). ******

So I went ahead looked at where the rivet nuts go, and the 4 bolts. I SPUN ONE OF THE LOWER BOLTS WITH MY FINGERS! IT JUST SPINS AROUND AND AROUND AND AROUND! The two above it where glued in (obviously since there's noting to BOLT IT TO!) At that point I had enough. I took my trusty GM product, drove over to Canadian tire, Bought 6 lug nuts, put the tire on with my TORQUE WRENCH (90ft lbs) and Drove the truck down to my mechanic to get a second opinion on the patch.

WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT ?!

Qxxx4

Looks like the long term of this recall is screwing us all over, I brought my qx4 bsck to dealer today. It was in two years ago and just got the undercoating. Now theres a 3 inch crack near the top of the housing and rust holes everywhere. Dealer said if nissan doesnt do anything I owe them 1 hour labour for inspection (I wont pay) ...im hoping nissan does a buy back even though the vehicle was assessed two years ago.

AlexTucker

Qxxx4 wrote:Looks like the long term of this recall is screwing us all over, I brought my qx4 bsck to dealer today. It was in two years ago and just got the undercoating. Now theres a 3 inch crack near the top of the housing and rust holes everywhere. Dealer said if nissan doesnt do anything I owe them 1 hour labour for inspection (I wont pay) ...im hoping nissan does a buy back even though the vehicle was assessed two years ago.
Keep us posted for sure. Id like to hear what happens.

I also spoke to the service adviser about my truck since every bolt was so loose. It seems that the 4 rivet nuts are no longer mandatory for the recall process. He said they could fill the holes with silicon if they really wanted to. So last month my truck would have been considered a death trap, but this month its better than ever! Shouldn't have waited. should have unloaded this rusty old leeeemon a long time ago.

GOOD JOB NISSAN :mad:

Pathfinder2002

I've been reading this thread now since I sold my Pathfinder back to Morley's last year and it seems they're more headaches with Nissan Corp, Morley's and of course the dealership half a** repairs. I've read so many times how repairs lead back to Pathfinder going back to dealership to have it's deemed unsafe. I believe once the rust starts it's matter of time when when the rust will break through regardless how much is repaired or undercoatings is applied. My Pathfinder was out of the east coast snowy weather for 3 years in Los Angeles and the car still rusted through because the rust damage was under the paint coatings. I believe everyone who owns these SUV should drive them until the rust and damage is unquestionable and have them buy them back and take them off the streets. Everyone I wish everyone good luck.

Qxxx4

I got my infiniti back! About a month ago :) they deemed it repairable. So glad to have it back I just hit 200k km :) so even if they check it and a few years later it isnt good you CAN get it fixed.

gcjazz12
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

Had left and right sides done in 2012. Nissan today told me the right side is rusted through and not safe for the road. It doesn't look any different really than after the first repair. I called Infiniti and they're going to take a look at it Tuesday. I want to keep the car, though so I hope they can do the new fix. Are they still keeping the cars and deeming them unrepairable? I just want the car back if they "determine" it's I not repairable this time around.

Here's pics. Looks like it's pretty much gone all the way across but not sure if this is out if the repair zone or not.

gcjazz12
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

Infiniti verified today that the car is unsafe and the tower housing on the passenger side cracked all the way through. They're being really good about it though and are going to repair it again. Said there is new repair bulletin as of 2013. And they put me up in a qx60 which is an amazing car. I'm impressed with how they're handling this from a customer service standpoint, would make me more likely to get into another Infiniti someday down the road in the hopefully not to near future :)

3rdgeneration
Car: 92VE a/t

I bought a 2000 pathfinder LE about a week ago. Found this thread today.

Passenger side has some spots of Rust

Driver side has about a 12" hole in it. I can see all the power steering lines…

:ohno:

I have read a lot of the pages of this thread. but I never saw the picture stating area 1 and 2? or is it the same as the qx4 picture? it seems like my giant hole is directly in-between areas 1 and 2….

rynod11
Car: '97 Pathfinder

Hi everybody,

Thanks in advance for looking, sent my 97 Pathfinder into dealership for new distributor in 2012, came back with paperwork claiming they had done level 1 repair on LH,RH side,... Two years later after terrible winter/potholes sent it in to my mechanic for sway-link pin repair, sure enough he said there is a major issue with strut tower needs immediate repair, so I bring it into a different Nissan dealer, they run the vin and say the reapir was already done and nothing they could do, however the service tech looks at both sides and says WOW! this is horrible, the worst he's seen, and that there was no lvl 1 repair done, so they gave me Nissan consumer affairs # and I was told to contact them immediately. Im nervous that I will not get MY value of the vehicle in return, I have lots poured into this pathy, and shes my baby, and we can not afford a new car. My question I guess is, is the original Nissan dealer on the hook for a bogus repair? Can/should I file any complaint with the states attorney or am I just going to have to be thankful for whatever they give me to remedy the situation? Any advice, help, would be much appreciated.

Fyi. the strut tower had busted through the inner fender wall and was into the steering and mastercylinder, and there was clearly no spray on either side.

BoulderMcBonesteel
Car: 1999 Nissan Pathfinder XE

Wow! Just found out about this problem, and just found this thread. My 1999 Pathfinder XE with 77K miles is at the dealership. Morley called and told me the car was nonrepairable. I was fine with the whole process until the lady from Morley called offering me $2420 for the vehicle. I looked around and found that everyone listing a Pathfinder on Craigslist and Autotrader was wanting $5000 or more for a similar Pathfinder. I emailed the lady from Morley asking why they were using Kelley's blue book and not NADA or Edmunds (both of which value the car higher than KBB). Within a couple of minutes of sending the email, she called me and stated that Nissan only accepts Kelley's blue book, and that she entered my car into Kelley's as a "Very good" condition and if I persued this, Nissan would downgrade me to "fair" condition and the offer would be less. She also stated that since I bought the car a year ago (after the recall notice came out), I should have checked the vehicles recall notices before purchasing it (As if purchasing the vehicle after the recall gets them out of performing the recall somehow?...)

Anyways, I'm confused here. That phone call sounded like "You take what we offer or we'll give you less or nothing!" Does anyone have any suggestions? I really can't replace this car for what they are offering. Not even close.

3rdgeneration
Car: 92VE a/t

my thought is: if it wasn't up for debate they would of just gave you the check/mailed it to you and said have a nice day. I too have looked at pathfinders all over and its hard to find one with even 200k on it for less than 4 or 5 grand

Freeze Time
Car: 1998 Infiniti QX4

I am thinking about taking my QX4 in for an inspection once I get my title in the mail. My mechanic says I should get a transmission fluid and filter change really soon and I'd rather make sure my car is 100% safe before I go spending money on it. I don't see any rust and maybe I never will considering I'm in Southern California but I'd rather get it over and done with if they are indeed going to buy my vehicle from me or just apply that coating to it. I will definitely keep everyone here posted.

Pathfinder2002

BoulderMcBonesteel wrote:Wow! Just found out about this problem, and just found this thread. My 1999 Pathfinder XE with 77K miles is at the dealership. Morley called and told me the car was nonrepairable. I was fine with the whole process until the lady from Morley called offering me $2420 for the vehicle. I looked around and found that everyone listing a Pathfinder on Craigslist and Autotrader was wanting $5000 or more for a similar Pathfinder. I emailed the lady from Morley asking why they were using Kelley's blue book and not NADA or Edmunds (both of which value the car higher than KBB). Within a couple of minutes of sending the email, she called me and stated that Nissan only accepts Kelley's blue book, and that she entered my car into Kelley's as a "Very good" condition and if I persued this, Nissan would downgrade me to "fair" condition and the offer would be less. She also stated that since I bought the car a year ago (after the recall notice came out), I should have checked the vehicles recall notices before purchasing it (As if purchasing the vehicle after the recall gets them out of performing the recall somehow?...)

Anyways, I'm confused here. That phone call sounded like "You take what we offer or we'll give you less or nothing!" Does anyone have any suggestions? I really can't replace this car for what they are offering. Not even close.
Here is few ideas that might help-

Very Important Post-

Recalled Pathfinder Resolved and the common complaints against Morley and Nissan Corp regarding the buyback program...

1st Everyone should know Pathfinders/QX4 from 1996-2004 anywhere in the US or Canada are part of Nissan's Buyback program even in California because you’re SUV can still have strut tower rust issues.

2nd If you're car has rust issues in the wheel well on your Pathfinder you're entitle to take in to any Nissan Dealership for inspection free of charge.(The inspection process can take up to 1 day or 1 month in some cases depending on the dealership in your area.)

IF YOU suspect your car will be consider “un-repairable” because of the rusty strut tower issue, be prepared for a long battle. Morley will not compensation for any upgrades such as Premiums Stereo, Bigger Tires, Rims, Alarm, Low Jack, or Car Maintenance done in the last few years, such as new shocks, engine, tranny replacement or upgrades, these will be negotiated by Morley. Morley doesn’t handle any claims if you have repaired the strut tower and Nissan will only address this matter if you have an accident cause by strut tower failure. Nissan has full liability for the strut tower rust problem. They will only refund with receipt of new tires in the last years, battery replacement last year and few other wearable items with only receipt with in the last year. Example I took out my stereo, new tires, jacks, jumper cables, floor mats, trunk cover, car tools and trailer hitch parts before turning in my vehicle. All my personal items were taken out before turned in my car. I had the old tires and I put those on before I turned in the SUV.

VERY IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE YOUR SUV LOOKS THE BEST POSSIBLE, SINCE MORLEYS WILL TAKE PICTURES WHEN NEGOTIATING THE VALUE OF YOUR CAR. THEY WILL USE KELLEY BLUE BOOK PRIVATE PARTY VALUES ONLY!!!! NO NADA, NO Dealership values, Nothing but
KKB Private Party: Excellent, GOOD and FAIR.

Nissan Corp will only issue a free car rental after inspection and the dealership must determine the car is unsafe or deemed repairable.
During this time you are entitled to a car or SUV of same value as part of your rental. So if you need 4x4 SUV as rental then dealership must provide an equivalent rental only people who turned in 4x4 of course. They usually will give you a compact car to save money but you can demand a SUV rental. Also you must contact Nissan Corp to help with the car rental if the dealership is refusing or delaying compensation. Nissan Corp (800-647-7261). If your SUV has been chosen for repair this process can usually take up to a few weeks but should only take about 1 week depending on the dealership workload of course.

3rd Once they have determine your vehicle is part of the buyback program a 3rd party company (Morley's) will contact you. At this point this company will send auditor to inspect your car. They will take pictures and send them back to Morley’s representative who will determine the value of your car. It’s best to make sure your SUV looks the best possible way since this will be your argument on the value. I left the factory hitch on my car but you might pull any of your aftermarket parts that have more value such as wench hitch or plows, expensive Mud tires. They will give you bottom rock for these parts and most case nothing for any add on's. So make sure to take everything out of the car. Once they determine the value of your car, it’s up to you to negotiate a better rate. (I’ve been reading about people needing their car’s and wasn’t in the position to give up their daily drive because of financial circumstance. With that said it’s up to you to make sure you get the most money to offset the headaches. My SUV was really important to me and finding another car was a huge undertaking. I wasted over a month finding the right replacement and it cost more money than I could afford.)

So make sure you negotiate the most money possible! I know for a fact the first offer from Morley’s was there lowest offer. My car was $6000 high blue book and not accepting the first offer I was able negotiate another $2000 in haggling. Once I told them the hardships in finding another car and all the work done in the last two years totaled over $3000 in repairs they came back with additional $1000. The last $1000 was total in receipts on new tires, a new battery and it included labor cost too. So I settle with $8000 for my Pathfinder on the buyback. The negotiating process from the time I dropped my car to the payoff was close to 4 months. I had a new rental car for 4 months paid by Nissan Corp on the dealership's car rental account and $8000 check from Morley’s.(Do not rent a car and expect Nissan to pay you back for the rental, I've read on this forum it was headache getting your money back from Nissan Corp, so make sure it's the dealership's car or car rental account.) I knew months before turning my car that I will have a problem regarding the strut tower so I made all the arrangements beforehand. I had small rust holes on both sides of the wheel well which could easily been repaired according to Nissan Recall notice and I decided to wait until the holes became un-repairable thinking it would take 2+ years. Interesting enough the penny size holes became a huge 18” crack and basketball size rust spot in 12 months. The car was unsafe and I knew then it was the right decision to take this car off the street. It was the right move me to hold on to the car so it couldn't be repaired. Unfortunately that isn't the case for all Pathfinder/QX4 owners. Here is story title under TamiW (http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/20 ... anger.html) she had MA DMV state inspected and failed inspection and took it Nissan dealership for the recall which they did a crappy repaired job only to have it fail state inspection the second time. According to her headache she can't sell it back to Nissan for the buyback because it's been repaired and she can't drive her car because DMV won't aloud it on the streets because it's unsafe. Hopefully you can learn from these stories and be prepare when setting up your next move on the Nissan Rust Recall. I hope my experience will help the next Pathfinder/QX4 owner.
Good luck!

Freeze Time
Car: 1998 Infiniti QX4

I went in for an inspection today at the Infiniti dealership. Turns out the filler tube had a recall too. They told me my front brakes needed replacing and I have a major oil leak from the upper oil pan seal. What's odd is that they didn't say anything about needing a new air hose, and a transmission fluid and filter change like my mechanic told me. The car doesn't leak oil so I assume this is a leak I can't see and they said it was a costly fix, like $2000 but as long as I make sure there is oil in it and just put down a cardboard box, I should be fine. I have included a picture of the invoice. As you can see, I passed both recall inspections so I'm glad about that. They told me my tire pressure was too high. Even though my tires say 44 psi, they put it to 32. I never knew that.

barkingdog
Car: 2001 Pathfinder

Just turned in my 02 Pathfinder for two recalls. I'm in Nashville, TN and have a feeling they are going to try and fix the strut housing because they are talking metal plate and sealant. I bought it from a doctor who had it in New York for years. Lots of salt rust come to find out- hope it all works out. I would love to work a little on the Pathfinder and get a few miles out of it but I'm running into lots of problems.

barkingdog
Car: 2001 Pathfinder

So..mixed feelings. The dealership just sprayed some primer and sealer on my rust and told me everything was fine. I want to fix up this pathfinder so I'm glad i got the all clear but I still see rust.

Pathfinder2002

Don't worry it will rust through for sure it's matter of time since the rust is in the metal and no matter how much under coating is applied the damage is done underneath. I have pin size holes in my NY Pathfinder and was out of state for 3 years in Sunny Dry LA and it rust through and split like a banana on both strut towers.

the_pathy
Car: 98 pathfinder
95 pathfinder

Well i just brought my 98 Pathfinder in for the recall inspection yesterday and i'm waiting to hear back. This is what i have as far as i could see, rust wise. This is on the drivers side...

virg

Hey all,

Hope I'm not too late to the party for some feedback - would love some advice.

2000 Pathfinder LE, 215k miles. Engine still runs like a gem.

Had it in to the dealership a year ago for an unrelated repair. They mention that there is a recall and I verified it was accurate information. Strut tower was "repairable" so I gave them the green light to "reapir" at no cost. went on my way without much after thought (I know, I am kicking myslef now).

Anyway, brought it to a different mechanic last week (trustworthy guy) for some steering issues and he shows me the drivers side strut tower is totally rusted out and even the welds on the non rusted portions have come apart! Baically tells me that I'm lucky, to cease driving it immedilaty, and contact the dealer. I looked back at my paperwork and it turns out that the original "repair" by the dealership was only an application of paint/undercoat? (that apparently did no good) but no structural repair was done.

I am going to contact the dealership again, but I am wondering if the buyback option would still be on the table considering I technically already had my free recall "repair"? Anyone have a similar situation?

Pathfinder2002

virg wrote:Hey all,

Hope I'm not too late to the party for some feedback - would love some advice.

2000 Pathfinder LE, 215k miles. Engine still runs like a gem.

Had it in to the dealership a year ago for an unrelated repair. They mention that there is a recall and I verified it was accurate information. Strut tower was "repairable" so I gave them the green light to "repair" at no cost. went on my way without much after thought (I know, I am kicking myslef now).

Anyway, brought it to a different mechanic last week (trustworthy guy) for some steering issues and he shows me the drivers side strut tower is totally rusted out and even the welds on the non rusted portions have come apart! Baically tells me that I'm lucky, to cease driving it immedilaty, and contact the dealer. I looked back at my paperwork and it turns out that the original "repair" by the dealership was only an application of paint/undercoat? (that apparently did no good) but no structural repair was done.

I am going to contact the dealership again, but I am wondering if the buyback option would still be on the table considering I technically already had my free recall "repair"? Anyone have a similar situation?
The Pathfinder is all ways consider part of the buy back program if damage from rust in strut towers. Regardless of dealership repairs. Read my earlier post...It should help with the buy back program and expectations.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”