1996-2004 Pathfinder / QX4 Strut Housing Corrosion Recall

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
THatfield
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4

ak23 wrote:Just called Pan Pacific Nissan in Richmond, BC and as per their records my 99.5 Pathfinder needs to get inspected. I have very little details in regards to what to expect from the work being done, hence can someone clarify what to check when I receive the truck back.
Thanks
If they do a stage 1 repair, look rust-proof undercoating in the area around your coil spring/strut tower.

If they do a stage 2 repair, look for a new bracket running along the backside of your coil spring, as well as fiberglass patches and the rustproof undercoat.

If it's a stage 3... RIP, look for a new vehicle.

ak23
Car: 99.5 Nissan Pathfinder

THatfield wrote:
ak23 wrote:Just called Pan Pacific Nissan in Richmond, BC and as per their records my 99.5 Pathfinder needs to get inspected. I have very little details in regards to what to expect from the work being done, hence can someone clarify what to check when I receive the truck back.
Thanks
If they do a stage 1 repair, look rust-proof undercoating in the area around your coil spring/strut tower.

If they do a stage 2 repair, look for a new bracket running along the backside of your coil spring, as well as fiberglass patches and the rustproof undercoat.

If it's a stage 3... RIP, look for a new vehicle.
hahah good one bud....I would take the stage 3 since, I am leaning towards the new Pathfinder anyways. However, a quick look show no rust what so ever so its most likely stage 1 or 2

bryanmenard
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX SE Fastback
2001 Infiniti QX4 4X4
2003 Infiniti QX4 4X4

Got my QX4 finally inspected this week for the strut tower and it got a clean bill of health.

I don't live in a place with road salt, but I am right on the Gulf Coast and do drive on the beach frequently during the summer. Nearly anyone who drives on the beach here has aftermarket undercoating, including me. I was glad the car came out fine. The dealers was impressed with the undercoating I have...it's almost rubber-like and gets touched up every year by my rustproofing guy. Thankfully, it protected my vulnerable strut tower areas.

I also got the fuel filler thing done.

She's good for years to come. Cheers!

KellyBoston
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5SL

2001 Infiniti QX4

Dang... I absolutely stole my QX4 when I purchased it last September. The chick I bought it from was seriously a crackhead, I'm not exagerating. Too long of a story to explain, but known as a fact! Lol.
Anyway...the vehicle was filthy, but I specialize in polishing turds if the price is right. No maint. Had been done, the air filter was clogged, and the oil didn't register on the stick. I saw the potential, and negotiated her obvious "I'm desperate for cash" price down from 4,000 to 2,800!!
When I heard about this problem, I just knew that I had hit the jackpot, knowing my vehicle was never properly Maintained or even washed. Based on how rusted my running boards support were, I just knew it was going to have a huge whole under the air box! I was already calculating what I would profit from this ordeal.
The next morning, I headed out to the garage with dollar signs in my eyes...I popped to air box off and Waallaa!! The most perfect, cleanest, solid as a rock inner fender well I've ever seen!! Lol! There wasn't even a bubble of surface rust, or the slightest peeling of paint! I was blown away!!
Just goes to show...you never can tell, although my vehicle has had a rough, dirty, outdoor life it was perfect, solid as a rock. While someone's may have been garage kept, and washed every sat. Yet be rusted completely through!

P.S. I live in KY, so rust is common, not like I like in the desert or anything!

Gjhamlet
Car: 97 & 99 Pathfinder

I have or had 2 Pathfinders, one being a 97 & a 99 with the 3.3l. I had the 97 for 15years, over 300,000 miles and it drove like the day I bought it. Hands down my favorite car ever. My wife found the recall on a family trip and we addressed the recall with nissan when got back home. The 99 with 150,000 was repairable, my beloved 97 was not & I have to say my wife and I wept. Our family grew up with this wonderful vehicle. Around the same time my 2 year old Honda civic was on a recall for the engine block and Honda wouldn't do a thing but sell me a new car &extending te warranty which was a joke. Honda could care less & I won't touch a Honda ever. Nissan on the other hand gave our family a free rental till we settled & they paid more than the value (shy of $6,000) and was sympathetic to us! I hope other auto companies (Honda) would follow Nissans lead in customer service. And Nissan please see how many love the Pathfinder & Qx 4 size, style mileage and capability and build a newer version that doesn't look like a soap box or the new Mini Van look. ;) But really Nissan you have a fan in my family! Gjhamlet

biggie224
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder

good day everyone. i'm new to this forum. i took my 2001 pathfinder le into the dealership last week regarding this recall. the dealer stated that the damage is unrepairable. the third party company called me last week to let me know that they are going out this week to check out my truck. the dealer stated that they nissan will buy it back. my truck was in good condition and had 209k miles. i'm just curious as to how much i should expect from nissan. i'm still 50/50 about it because im really not in the position to buy another vehicle with a car note. is there anyway to figure out how much nissan will give me and is the amount nego.? thanks for any help.

biggie224
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder

good afternoon everyone. well i just spoke with the company thats dealing with this whole recall issue and they offered me $5500 for my truck. no need in complaining for much more being that i had a 2001 with 209500 miles. it was in great condition and they gave me the $1,000 over KBB. time to start looking for a replacement vehicle.

hotdawwgman
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

^wow that's awesome. Congrats on getting good money for your truck!

CHILI442
Car: 02 Pathfinder
68 Olds 442
66 Olds 442

Well, here's my story. I got the recall notice sometime last year. I inspected my vehicle ('02) and didn't see anything alarming. One small area in the fenderwell looked a little flakey, but nothing major. Two weeks ago I was surfing this board and came across this thread. I looked at everyone's pictures in horror, and I was blown away that some peoples vehicles were so bad they had to be put down. So, I went out and looked at my Path and noticed it was getting worse. I made an appointment with the dealership and had it inspected. Their plan right now is to do the plate thing. I don't know how that's going to do much good since mine is rotting out behind (rearward to) that area. I don't know if they plan to cut out the rust and put a patch across that area. Again, I don't know if it would do any good because the thing is rusting from the inside out. The service manager is a young kid, and doesn't seem to know much. He said they've only had one other that was a problem, but didn't know how bad is was. He said they had one in recently for inspection, and that it had 200,000 miles on it, and looked fine. I've looked at a couple others around town, and they are all fine. The sad thing is, mine only has 78,000 miles on it. I'm the second own and it has always been garage kept. I am meticulous with my maintenance, and every year after the last snow/salt I go to the carwash and pressure wash the bottom side and fenderwells. Anyway, I have an appointment for next week for them to do the plate. Not sure what I should do.

My 78,000 mile baby

before I started poking at it:

afterward:

What the dealer did:

Pathfinder2002

Hey Chili442,

My suggestion is not to bring it back to Nissan and have it patched. I had the same problem on my Pathfinder and I've moved from NYC to Los Angeles a dry weather salt free climate. No rust that was visually apparent. I'm sure rust was hiding just under the coating. Long story short the noticed a penny size rust hole and 10-14 months later it became a 18 inch crack on the passenger side and huge orange size rust on the driver side. They bought the car and it was the right decision to get the SUV off the road.

Read this posting by PathfinderRecalled:

Re: 1996-2004 Pathfinder / QX4 Strut Housing Corrosion Recall

Postby PathfinderRecalled » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:28 am
Recalled Pathfinder Resolved and the common complaints against Morley and Nissan Corp regarding the buyback program...

1st Everyone should know Pathfinders/QX4 from 1996-2004 anywhere in the US or Canada are part of Nissan's Buyback program even in California because you’re SUV can still have strut tower rust issues.

2nd If you're car has rust issues in the wheel well on your Pathfinder you're entitle to take in to any Nissan Dealership for inspection free of charge.(The inspection process can take up to 1 day or 1 month in some cases depending on the dealership in your area.)

IF YOU suspect your car will be consider “un-repairable” because of the rusty strut tower issue, be prepared for a long battle. Morley will not compensation for any upgrades such as Premiums Stereo, Bigger Tires, Rims, Alarm, Low Jack, or Car Maintenance done in the last few years, such as new shocks, engine, tranny replacement or upgrades, these will be negotiated by Morley. Morley doesn’t handle any claims if you have repaired the strut tower and Nissan will only address this matter if you have an accident cause by strut tower failure. Nissan has full liability for the strut tower rust problem. They will only refund with receipt of new tires in the last years, battery replacement last year and few other wearable items with only receipt with in the last year. Example I took out my stereo, new tires, jacks, jumper cables, floor mats, trunk cover, car tools and trailer hitch parts before turning in my vehicle. All my personal items were taken out before turned in my car. I had the old tires and I put those on before I turned in the SUV.

VERY IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE YOUR SUV LOOKS THE BEST POSSIBLE, SINCE MORLEYS WILL TAKE PICTURES WHEN NEGOTIATING THE VALUE OF YOUR CAR. THEY WILL USE KELLEY BLUE BOOK PRIVATE PARTY VALUES ONLY!!!! NO NADA, NO Dealership values, Nothing but
KKB Private Party: Excellent, GOOD and FAIR.

Nissan Corp will only issue a free car rental after inspection and the dealership must determine the car is unsafe or deemed repairable.
During this time you are entitled to a car or SUV of same value as part of your rental. So if you need 4x4 SUV as rental then dealership must provide an equivalent rental only people who turned in 4x4 of course. They usually will give you a compact car to save money but you can demand a SUV rental. Also you must contact Nissan Corp to help with the car rental if the dealership is refusing or delaying compensation. Nissan Corp (800-647-7261). If your SUV has been chosen for repair this process can usually take up to a few weeks but should only take about 1 week depending on the dealership workload of course.

3rd Once they have determine your vehicle is part of the buyback program a 3rd party company (Morley's) will contact you. At this point this company will send auditor to inspect your car. They will take pictures and send them back to Morley’s representative who will determine the value of your car. It’s best to make sure your SUV looks the best possible way since this will be your argument on the value. I left the factory hitch on my car but you might pull any of your aftermarket parts that have more value such as wench hitch or plows, expensive Mud tires. They will give you bottom rock for these parts and most case nothing for any add on's. So make sure to take everything out of the car. Once they determine the value of your car, it’s up to you to negotiate a better rate. (I’ve been reading about people needing their car’s and wasn’t in the position to give up their daily drive because of financial circumstance. With that said it’s up to you to make sure you get the most money to offset the headaches. My SUV was really important to me and finding another car was a huge undertaking. I wasted over a month finding the right replacement and it cost more money than I could afford.)

So make sure you negotiate the most money possible! I know for a fact the first offer from Morley’s was there lowest offer. My car was $6000 high blue book and not accepting the first offer I was able negotiate another $2000 in haggling. Once I told them the hardships in finding another car and all the work done in the last two years totaled over $3000 in repairs they came back with additional $1000. The last $1000 was total in receipts on new tires, a new battery and it included labor cost too. So I settle with $8000 for my Pathfinder on the buyback. The negotiating process from the time I dropped my car to the payoff was close to 4 months. I had a new rental car for 4 months paid by Nissan Corp on the dealership's car rental account and $8000 check from Morley’s.(Do not rent a car and expect Nissan to pay you back for the rental, I've read on this forum it was headache getting your money back from Nissan Corp, so make sure it's the dealership's car or car rental account.) I knew months before turning my car that I will have a problem regarding the strut tower so I made all the arrangements beforehand. I had small rust holes on both sides of the wheel well which could easily been repaired according to Nissan Recall notice and I decided to wait until the holes became un-repairable thinking it would take 2+ years. Interesting enough the penny size holes became a huge 18” crack and basketball size rust spot in 12 months. The car was unsafe and I knew then it was the right decision to take this car off the street. It was the right move me to hold on to the car so it couldn't be repaired. Unfortunately that isn't the case for all Pathfinder/QX4 owners. Here is story title under TamiW (http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/20 ... anger.html) she had MA DMV state inspected and failed inspection and took it Nissan dealership for the recall which they did a crappy repaired job only to have it fail state inspection the second time. According to her headache she can't sell it back to Nissan for the buyback because it's been repaired and she can't drive her car because DMV won't aloud it on the streets because it's unsafe. Hopefully you can learn from these stories and be prepare when setting up your next move on the Nissan Rust Recall. I hope my experience will help the next Pathfinder/QX4 owner.
Good luck!

CHILI442 wrote:Well, here's my story. I got the recall notice sometime last year. I inspected my vehicle ('02) and didn't see anything alarming. One small area in the fenderwell looked a little flakey, but nothing major. Two weeks ago I was surfing this board and came across this thread. I looked at everyone's pictures in horror, and I was blown away that some peoples vehicles were so bad they had to be put down. So, I went out and looked at my Path and noticed it was getting worse. I made an appointment with the dealership and had it inspected. Their plan right now is to do the plate thing. I don't know how that's going to do much good since mine is rotting out behind (rearward to) that area. I don't know if they plan to cut out the rust and put a patch across that area. Again, I don't know if it would do any good because the thing is rusting from the inside out. The service manager is a young kid, and doesn't seem to know much. He said they've only had one other that was a problem, but didn't know how bad is was. He said they had one in recently for inspection, and that it had 200,000 miles on it, and looked fine. I've looked at a couple others around town, and they are all fine. The sad thing is, mine only has 78,000 miles on it. I'm the second own and it has always been garage kept. I am meticulous with my maintenance, and every year after the last snow/salt I go to the carwash and pressure wash the bottom side and fenderwells. Anyway, I have an appointment for next week for them to do the plate. Not sure what I should do.

My 78,000 mile baby

before I started poking at it:

afterward:

What the dealer did:

Tonyg55

Hi guys-

Wife has a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder and I saw the recall and took it to a dealer. I inspected it myself and read over the bulletin and my conclusion was that its stage 3 and unrepairable. In area 1, I see corrosion. Today I was told its stage 2 level 4 and repairable. Am I able to get a second opinion? With my wife and children being in this car everyday, I really would like it to be safe. The main reason I looked up the recall was due to the struts being bad way quicker than they should be. I wouldn't doubt that the corrosion and holes in the wheel well contributed towards the strut going bad quicker. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tony
Ps. I looked up reviews for the Nissan service dept and it had 1 out of 5 stars 500+ reviews

kygirl40601
Car: 2000 Infiniti QX4

Tony,
I have just finalized the process of Infiniti buying back my QX4. If I were in your position, I would contact Nissan Consumer Affairs and discuss it with them. I'd explain that you have looked at the damage yourself and do not agree that it is repairable and I would stress to them that they are on the hook big time if they repair it and it causes an accident. It would seem they would allow a second opinion or let Morley take a look at it. Good luck.

NioQX4
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 V6 4x4

This may have been answered earlier but i have 2001 QX4 4x4, believe 1-1/2 years ago had Infiniti replaced the gas tank filler tube and inspect the strut housing, determined no repair needed vehicle pass the recall inspection although did see lil signs of flaking, i recently notice it larger . Can I still have Nissan/Infiniti re-inspect the housing, i wish i had a before/after but pics of FrontDriver i plan on calling infiniti service stil.

GUREN LAGANN
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4x4

The Recall Advisory to dealers appears to require the dealer to at least do a Level 1 repair to the car, even if it had no signs of rust. If the recall applies to your car, then You should definitely have the dealer reinspect and put in preventative repair.

Here's the notice http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/ja ... 4-5867.pdf

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

If your state is considered a non-salt state, you will not receive an undercoating. Only with Level 2 repairs will there be anything performed on the vehicle.

Trigger-6

First I want to thank everyone for their information and advice on this topic. I purchased my son a 2001 QX4 a little over a year ago totally unaware of this recall (I know... didn't do my homework...). Read this forum a few weeks ago and checked out the car and it showed some rust signs in the driver's wheel well so called my local Infiniti dealership to see if I could get it inspected. After a some runaround (they claimed that since my car was more than 8 years old that they no longer could check the VIN or maintenance history in their system and would have to call Infiniti Corporate to download the file to them), I was informed that the car was NOT part of the recall. This was confusing since the carfax report on the vehicle shows that it was originally sold in Illinois and inspected/tagged there for more than 8 years followed by a couple of years in Missouri before I purchased it... and both of these states are considered "salt states" in the recall.

I called Infiniti Corporate the next morning, and they were able to pull up the master file and was informed that the car was no longer part of the recall since the previous owner apparently already had the car inspected in Kansas City in 2011 and the Infinity dealership at that time had performed the required rust-preventative maintenance. I informed them that I was concerned because I was seeing rust again so they instructed me to take it back to my local dealership and have a followup inspection.

The dealership did the inspection and is now telling me that yes there is rust but it is still repairable but they will need Infiniti Corporate's advice on how proceed with the repairs since it has already been repaired once. They took some photo's to send Corporate and said they should hear back within a week. That was last Friday and when I talked to them earlier today they said they had still not heard back from Corporate. So I'm still waiting for their call to schedule the follow up appointment.

The dealership must have done some grinding or wire brushing of the rusted areas as part of the inspection since now the rusted area has grown significantly and is showing some significant rust flaking about 6" up from the bottom of the wheel well behind the strut... as well as about a 1" hole that has now been poked completely thru the wheel well that wasn't there prior to the inspection. The upper strut inspection area shows no rust or flaking (atleast yet.. fingers crossed). :ohno: I did not take out the airbox to inspect the 3rd area as I figured I'd seen enough. :mad:

I'd post some photo's for others to see if I could find a way to get them to attach/upload.

Thxs again for the heads up.

camtheham
Car: 04 Pathfinder SE

Hey all. I just wanted to post my experience. My Pathfinder is an 04 with about 120K miles. I took mine to the dealer over the weekend to have this recall taken care of. They told me that there weren't any problems, but when I got home I saw that they had applied undercoating in both of the front wheel wells. It looks like they're now applying this as a precaution even on vehicles with no problems. I just wanted to post this so that if somebody is reading this they will know that it's not all doom and gloom!

Trigger-6

Well, I took my '01 QX4 in for the corrosion repairs. Dealer kept it 2 days then called to inform me that the "corrosion was more extensive than first believed and after conferring with Infiniti Corporate they have deemed my car undriveable and an Infinity representative should contact me within a few days to discuss the repurchase of my vehicle"... and oh, by the way... " you will need to return the Infiniti loaner car you have been driving to the dealership this afternoon and pick up an Enterprise rental that you will have free access until your case has been resolved".

And I guess just that quickly, I'm in the mkt for a new car. :confused:

climbinglife
Car: 2003 Pathfinder SE

Hey guys,

Great info in this thread, thank you to all who have contributed.
First post on here after surprisingly finding out about this recall. Needless to say, I'm freaking out a little and am going to be stopping by Nissan monday morning.

I literally just bought an 03' Pathfinder SE. I've had it for exactly a week now. I bought it privately as a one owner car. It's lived it's entire life in Long Island, NY. The Odometer reads 54,600 miles. It was the second lowest mileage Pathfinder on Autotrader and cars when i bought it. I paid 7500$ tax, title, fees and 600$ for odds and ends and I'm into the car for around 9k. The car is in mint condition and I've added 150 miles to the odo.

My questions really surround the "actual" areas outlined in the PDF on the first post of this thread, specifically on pages 6,7, 46 & 47. From some of the pictures that people have been nice enough to post, it seems that allot of people have rust or corrosion that falls "outside" of the areas that they have marked as "areas 1 & 2". Am I correct to assume that you need to have serious rust or corrosion INSIDE these areas to warrant a level 1 or 2 repair? My passenger side is fine in both areas. My driver side, area 2 is fine and so is area 1 specifically inside the lines, but there is a small flaky rust spot that is above and to the left of the area they call "area 1"

Clearly I'm going to take the truck into Nissan but the vehicle passed state inspection in Feb, 2013 and was just worked on by my mechanic and he didn't notice anything. I didn't ask the guy i bought it from because tonight is the first time I'm reading about it this recall. The carfax didn't list any recalls for the vehicle.

So am I correct in stating that even though they would most likely perform at least a level 1 fix no matter what, that they are only concerned with the areas specifically associated with where they have marked off in the pdf on page 1?

Besides that, for those that have had the stage 1 or even stage 2 fix, did the dealership allow you to make an appointment to bring the car back in for the fix or did they tell you the car has to be kept by them until they can fix the problem, hence rental cars etc etc...I'm asking this extra question because I work out of this truck. It's not just a vehicle I use to go to and from work, it is my work vehicle.
Going to try and post some pics but I'm actualy not sure now if I should bring it in or not, with the low miles.

Thanks for any help.
Regards,
Vin, NYC.

climbinglife

Added pics. Hopefully, these load.

Looking up at area 2, driver side. No rust and perforations.

Area 1, looking into wheel well from behind the tire. No rust in designated area, no perforations.

Wider shot, same area:

Area 1, looking into wheel well from the front of the tire. No rust in designated area and no perforation. The only area which has a rust spot is shown with arrows. I scraped away some flakes and banged on it and it feels solid, like just surface rust and the line running left to right that sort of dips down where the hole is seems like it's part of the way they formed the sheet metal and not a whole or separation. I've seen this line in other peoples shots, including a few posts above in chilli442 pics, 3rd pic in his post.

Second shot, closer view, same area.

Passenger side doesn't have a spec of rust anywhere and I check around the airbox, under the hood and can't see any issues either.

Based on the low low mileage I have and all the reading I've done, this thread and others and reading over the whole PDF bulletin, I think I'm just gonna do the level 1 coating myself. It seems easy enough and they give you the names of the stuff or equivalent that they used. Seems pretty easy and straight forward.

I'll post some pics next weekend after I'm finished.

Trigger-6

It looks like yours has had the preventative Rust Treatment applied (that is that shiny black coating). Mine had that as well, but apparently continued to rust under the coating and eventually rusted thru again. If you call Nissan Corporate customer service, they should be able to tell you whether the vehicle was previously repaired or not. It looks a little concerning on the last photo where it shows the rust starting to bleed/bubble thru the preventative coating again between those horizontal ribs. You should definitely have it inspected again. If nothing else, they will likely give it another Rust Treatment, which should give you peace of mind for another year or two..

vettes

Have been reading this for a few weeks now, Received a load of information. .... Well yesterday finally brought my 200 pathfinder with 169000 miles on it to dealer,
They said it is not repairable.. So now have to wait for rep. to contact us.. While at dealer . It dawned on me that this truck has been at dealer 2xs since recall was announced. Asked service manager to pull records on my truck. There was no notification from them ever about recall. Even though truck was there 2xs after recall went out.. So my question would be.. Do I have a legit shot at suing dealer for negligence? Due to fact that had I been told on previous visits about recall. Truck could have been possibly saved. Had it been done 2 years earlier when timing chain was done

climbinglife

Well, thats messed up^^^^^^

Whenever I've brought my Subaru in for service, they have always told me about new recalls and performed them right away. I also received letters of any recalls the car has gotten.

Sorry your car is not repairable, sucks that it might have been if they would have addressed the recall sooner.

I didn't manage to take any new pics of mine but I did the second layer of undercoat myself and everything looks great. Gonna be doing it once a year as preventative maintenence.

mzznlink
Car: 2000 QX4

After selling my 2000 QX4 to my daughter in March 2012, 1 year later she was advised not to drive it after taking it in for an annual inspection. The only thing holding the strut housing in place was the steering column and master cylinder. I paid off her loan and let it sit in my driveway while I figured out what to do with it.

Fast forward to June and I happen to stop by my local Infiniti dealership and asked if they had ever heard of such a failure. That's when I learned about the re-call.

When he looked up my car in their records it didn't show up as being affected. Then he looked it up by VIN in a different data base and there it was. I never received any notice when I owned it.

Anyway, I had it towed down and it's been deemed non-repairable. Waiting on Morely to do their inspection and make me an offer.

Just thankfull that my daughter didn't experience a catastrophic failure while driving it.

Tadg37
Car: 1999 Infinity QX4

qx403 wrote:Inspection was done and deemed repairable. They are ordering the kit and will call me when it is ready. Nissan dealer said it is a two day repair, I'll be in a free loaner for then.
Hi qx403,
I hope you can help me, I took my car for inspection and they found an area that rusted thry like that. When you took it to the dealer did they give you a hard time or charge you anything for that? Thanks

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Tadg37 wrote:
qx403 wrote:Inspection was done and deemed repairable. They are ordering the kit and will call me when it is ready. Nissan dealer said it is a two day repair, I'll be in a free loaner for then.
Hi qx403,
I hope you can help me, I took my car for inspection and they found an area that rusted thry like that. When you took it to the dealer did they give you a hard time or charge you anything for that? Thanks
The recall is and always will be free.

dj_rice
Car: 240sx
pathfinder

When I got my recall done, I was a Nissan employee in the Parts Dept so took my car in, the tech who did mine took his time, sprayed extra rustproofing/undercoating on all the areas and even sprayed further spots that wasn't outlined in the instructions. But my Pathfinder was clean and rustproof as I take care of it and wash it weekly since I work at the dealership lol free access to the detail bay.

Sadly, I am no longer a Nissan employee, moved up to Mercedes Benz employee now :)

Qxxx4
Car: 1999.5 Infiniti QX4, 2012 Mustang

I had mine done under recall program 1 where they just do some undercating. That was in 2011 and now 2 years later the rust has gotten so bad the entire housing is dilocating from the body. I went to my dealer today and they refuse to do any service as the recall was performed already. But shouldnt they be liable as they did not fix the issue? My car is very unsafe now

stftk

My 00 QX4 has several 3"+ holes in the wheel well, but I know that areas 1 and 2 are the deciding factors. There are no perforations in area 1, but on both sides there is corrosion taking place in area 2 that I imagine will only get worse. Is this considered "scab corrosion"?

tml2340
Car: 03 Infiniti QX4; 95 Miata M Edtn, 96 Miata M Edtn, 96 Miata, 01 Miata, 95 Maxima GLE, 95 Maxima GXE

I could really use some advice... like really quick. You see, I put a $1,000 deposit/check down on a seemingly immaculate '03 QX4 yestereday (Saturday) - purchasing from a Lexus Dealer, claiming the proverbial "traded in by a Doctor" 2 days ago - not even been through detailing yet. But, it is very clean, just as traded in by the previous owner. It was really obvious the car had been garaged and well cared for. I looked it over really good for signs of rust and found none. But that was prior to discovering this recall and getting an idea where to look!

I'm scheduled to pick the car up tomorrow at 6PM with cashiers check in hand. Can someone give me a crash course in diagnosing this rust issue? Where do I look in the wheel wells and under the hood? Any advice?

Thanks
Tom, Indy

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”