1996-2004 Pathfinder / QX4 Strut Housing Corrosion Recall

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Perhaps Nissan found that significant passenger side corrosion was not a widespread enough issue to manufacture a bracket to fix. Unfortunately I don't know anything else in regards to whether the passenger side can be repaired or whether the damage is severe enough to have your vehicle bought back.

Colombia81er
Car: 98 Pathfinder Le, (Sold)01 VW Jerga VR6, (Sold)99 Pathfinder SE , (Sold)06 Magnum R/T AWD

Just take it in.

But my local Dealership i wasn't pleased with them

BoostMyQX4
Car: 96 Infiniti QX4

This is what my passenger side looks like, when i last spoke to somebody from NISSAN i was told it wanst cover and my driver side was done and that is all they covered, if i wanted fix it will have to come out of my pocket.
I haven't had a chance to drive to the Infiniti dealer but i might do it this weekend just for kicks.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

See page 39 of the recall TSB in the first post. Basically the entire passenger side wheel well is covered, but I'm not sure if that perforation is repairable given that there isn't a bracket usable on the passenger side. If you get it inspected, you very well might have your QX4 bought back with that amount of damage.

Kaptainkid1
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder

BoostMyQX4 wrote:This is what my passenger side looks like, when i last spoke to somebody from NISSAN i was told it wanst cover and my driver side was done and that is all they covered, if i wanted fix it will have to come out of my pocket.
I haven't had a chance to drive to the Infiniti dealer but i might do it this weekend just for kicks.
Thanks for posting the photos and I suspect they will do the same with me. Unfortunately my mechanic has already determined my car is consider unsafe to drive because the damage to my Strut tower on has a 12 inch rip in metal the were the rust is on your car too.

I really think this car problem sucks and they'll fix the drivers side but leave my damaged unsafe car on the road. I don't think I'll drive a Nissan again. I have too many other options out there.

BoostMyQX4

Towncivilian wrote:See page 39 of the recall TSB in the first post. Basically the entire passenger side wheel well is covered, but I'm not sure if that perforation is repairable given that there isn't a bracket usable on the passenger side. If you get it inspected, you very well might have your QX4 bought back with that amount of damage.
I was reading that before and it looks to be a Level 2, but if you keep reading the instructions it saids to apply fiberglass to cover the holes.
I just don't get it, i bet you when the SUV was taken to get the driver side fixed the passenger side already was showing signs of perforation and they didn't do anything about it, if nissan already know about rust problems for driver and passenger then why not take care of both sides at once.
That goes to show you if the dealer is force to do something for free they will do it but not in good spirits.

Kaptainkid1

BoostMyQX4 wrote:
Towncivilian wrote:See page 39 of the recall TSB in the first post. Basically the entire passenger side wheel well is covered, but I'm not sure if that perforation is repairable given that there isn't a bracket usable on the passenger side. If you get it inspected, you very well might have your QX4 bought back with that amount of damage.
I was reading that before and it looks to be a Level 2, but if you keep reading the instructions it saids to apply fiberglass to cover the holes.
I just don't get it, i bet you when the SUV was taken to get the driver side fixed the passenger side already was showing signs of perforation and they didn't do anything about it, if nissan already know about rust problems for driver and passenger then why not take care of both sides at once.
That goes to show you if the dealer is force to do something for free they will do it but not in good spirits.
I spoke to a Morley representative today and I was told you're welcome to bring your Pathfinder to another dealership because the rust problem is on going with this recall and claims. The recall and buy back program doesn't have an end date at this time. Even though another dealership fixed the Driver's side corrosion the Passenger side is still covered on the "Buy back program". Other words if you still have your car a year later and the problem strut tower has deteriorates further such as my problem where the vehicle is consider unsafe, then the car qualifies for the "buy back program" My suggestion is look for a dealership who will help you out. Maybe even befriend a service person.

Also my rust spot on my passenger side look like that 6 months ago and it's dramatically deteriorated. My mechanic has determine my car to be unsafe for driving. I've moved my car from NYC 3 years ago to San Diego and all my panels were rust free until the last few years.

BoostMyQX4

What a bunch of Bull Crap man, called nissan i was transfer to infiniti affair, infiniti affair said the recall was strictly for the driver side not passenger side.
After explaining to the guy that there is 2 holes in the passenger side and that the Recall Campaign R1107 mentions the passenger side being fixed if there is perforation, he saids they didn't know any problems from passenger side there for it was only a driver side recall.
In other words they already know about the passenger side otherwise it wouldn't be listed on the recall bulletin but if it happens to fail then you on your own.
So in other words costumer affair was no help, they stick to the driver side and thats that....passenger side fails on you when you driving on the highway and flipped, its not their fault because they dont know anything about the passenger side. :tisk:

Does anybody else other then our QX4 have rust perforation in the passenger side?
Because it was weird to hear from the guy that there is no documentation about any problems with the passenger side.

Called Infiniti dealer spoke with Service manager and also was told there is nothing for the passenger side and the recall is closed.
Told him about the perforation on the passenger side and told him about page 39 on the recall campaign bulletin and NADA!
He said he was going to do some research and get back to me.......so who knows what is going to happen, now i need to go to the mechanic that does my inspections and see if it will pass with them 2 holes there :tisk:

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Perhaps the recall is different for QX4s, but that seems doubtful. Print out the entire TSB and bring it to a local Infiniti dealer, see what they say.

BoostMyQX4

Towncivilian wrote:Perhaps the recall is different for QX4s, but that seems doubtful. Print out the entire TSB and bring it to a local Infiniti dealer, see what they say.
I did print out the whole TSB, i told him like 3 times about page 39 and the perforation and all he could say was that as far as they knew it was only the driver side they needed to repair not the passenger side.
He was going to do some research and then call me back, he didnt want me to come over to the dealer and there is nothing they can do so he told me to wait for his call.

Im trying to see if there is any more people with QX4's that took theirs to the dealer to get it patched up and if they had the passenger checked as well or if they have holes in the passenger side or dont think much of it but i cant find anything, makes me feel like im the only one with holes in the passenger side.
Concern, Sure any place where it needs to support the weight of a car and if shows weak point everybody should be concern.

Im thinking of calling the NHTSA but i wonder if they will give me the same YO-YO story that is only the driver side.

Ok, thats it yeah, only the driver side strut housing can collapse the passenger housing is totally different because its made out of titanium and virtually indestructible...yeah thats it :tisk:

Sorry i just cant believe how they treating this issue :facepalm:

cdhibd01
Car: 99 Infinity QX4

Is there anything from stopping someone from buying unrepairable QX4s and Pathfinders on the cheap at says auctions etc and turning in for Buy Back Program as a money making scheme. Anyone who has completed the process have any knowledge on restrictions etc for doing it more than once by same person with different vehicles?

Kaptainkid1

So Morley and Nissan has decided my Pathfinder is consider unsafe and they're in the process in making an offer. I'm really surprised because I never got a letter and the damages were on the Passenger Side only. It seems they will only proceed on the buy back only when the car has failed or is consider unsafe. About 8 months ago the SUV had very little rust on the Passenger side (a rust hole the size of a penny) and Driver's side was fine they consider the car to be safe. The car has been in sunny CA for 3 years now and rust damage worsen to the point where the strut tower failed. I drove back to dealership and now we're here today negotiating. They used bad metals in making these SUV and they know it now. I'm really sad to see my Pathfinder go but I happy to know no one else is driving a unsafe car.

MDonini75
Car: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder

About 6 months ago I lost my brakes completely pulling out of the driveway. (1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE; 153,000 miles). I got it to the local Nissan Dealer and they called me to tell me that the brake calipers needed to be replaced along with a few other things and the total would be over $900. I said "No thank you", paid the $90 diagnostic fee and got the car home. I got it over to a friend of the family who looked at it and said that the brake line was punctured. 15 minutes later, he replaced the section of line and the brakes were fine. As h was looking he noticed that the entire strut housing had rotted away on the driver side and every time I hit a bump, it was penetrating through into the engine compartment and rubbing up against the master cylinder. He welded it together for me and told me the car is not safe and to start looking for a new one. Recently I saw about the recall and last week I brought it into a different Nissan dealership, and sure enough, they have "confiscated" my vehicle. Morley group contacted me saying they want a 3rd part inspector to look at the vehicle and if it is indeed deemed un-repairable, it may take 6-8 weeks for a settlement. Tomorrow will be 1-week and I haven't heard from them. As many of you mentioned, their offers seem low. I have looked at what a used "comparable" vehicle (4Runner) will cost and it is almost double what some of the offers seem to be. I put new tires on about 10 months ago and have only put 7k miles on since. Anyone know if they will compensate based on unused treadwear? I am just starting this process and already feel like I got robbed.

IN2665
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

Really frustrated at Infiniti right now.

I purchased a 2001 QX4 from a private seller in December 2011. Before purchasing however, I arranged to take the vehicle to the dealership to have it inspected. The dealership did an inspection and told me that the vehicle was under recall, but that their inspection revealed that it was repairable. I asked to schedule the repair before I purchased it, but they said they were 3 months out on scheduling and couldn't get it in until February.

Well, come February, I take it in and get a phone call a couple days later saying that it was not repairable and that Morley would be contacting me about re-purchasing it from me. I was pretty irritated at that time since I only bought the vehicle after it passed the dealer's inspection!

After waiting three weeks without hearing anything from Morley, I called the dealership back and asked why it was taking so long. Turns out they never faxed my paperwork to Morley. They faxed it again and when Morley finally called me, they quoted me a KBB value of $9,157, plus $1,000 for the hassle, for a total offer of $10,157. I told them that including the sales tax I paid on the vehicle I had $10,313 invested in the vehicle (I added a remote starter and had it rustproofed at Zeibart), and I didn't think it was fair that I should lose money on the deal, especially in light of the fact that I only bought it after the Infiniti dealer's inspection. They said that they are only authorized to give $1,000 over KBB value and if I don't want to accept that offer then I can take the vehicle back and drive an unsafe vehicle. Of course, Morley doesn’t care that the Infiniti dealer told me it was safe to buy, and when I called Infiniti directly to complain, they say that that is a “dealership problem” and dealerships are independently owned, so they take no responsibility for what the dealer has said. I explained to the dealership that their incorrect “inspection” is now causing me to lose money, and asked if they could at least remove the brand new remote starter so that I could re-use it in my next car (Zeibart told me this will only take 10 minutes) in order to mitigate some of my cost, and they said they would have to charge me for the labor (Min $65)!

I just feel like this is very unreasonable, and I don't understand why it seems like different people are being treated differently in these negotiations. There are several posts here stating that they received more than $2,000 over KBB, so why is Infiniti hassling me over $200?

I saw the price that Infiniti is paying on the rental car contract for the vehicle they put me in, and at $18.99 a day, they wasted $400 just by not faxing my paperwork to Morley for 3 weeks, let alone the days being wasted in this "negotiation". If they would have agreed or even countered my request a week and a half ago, they would have saved $200 on the rental car contract anyway, so why not just be fair and reimburse me for what I'm out due to their failure??

So disappointed to be treated this way. the first car I ever bought was an Infiniti, and I was planning to buy the JX in the fall of 2013 when I pay my house off, but this experience has soiled my image of Infiniti and I will not buy one again. Makes me a little sick to go out every morning and see my husband's M45 in the driveway. I guess it's their loss because they would have made a lot more than $200 off the sale of a new car.

vq35
Car: 2001 path se manual

Howdy folks
see A LOT of Morley transactions - any Toronto based experiences?

dareno
Car: Pathfinder R50, 3.5 l V6 LE

I just want to tell you that your car is eligible for recall even if it is outside of USA/Canada.
My car was bought in USA and shipped to Poland. At first dealer said that they can not do a recall check. So I contacted Nissan of America and they said that for sure I can do a recall check in Poland and repair if needed. All for free.
It took about six month of formalities (transferring car's data from USA to Poland, documentation, sending parts) and today my car was taken for repair.

I'll post a photo when I take it back.

JamesB4500
Car: 1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12
1979 Torana UC SL/T
1998 Nissan Pathfinder
2003 Land Rover Discovery II SE7

Had my '98 Pathfinder towed to one of the local Nissan dealers almost 2 weeks ago for the recall inspection/repair.

I took the Pathfinder off the road almost 2 years ago when the driver's side tower let go along the chassis edge and was supported by the brake master cylinder and steering shaft.

I haven't heard anything from the dealer since they got it, so I don't know if no news is good news or bad news. Unfortunately, 2 years of sitting in a field hasn't been kind to the rest of the car, and personally, I consider the car to be totally worthless as the cost of getting it into a state that would pass the local safety inspection would be more than the vehicle's value.

1999.5niky
Car: 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder

Hello all, I have a 1999.5 Pathfinder LE, fully loaded and in very good condition with 124 k miles. I just received a call from Morely representative who offered me $7,000. She said that the KBB private party seller value is $5,900 and she is only able to upgrade to excellent condition value and offer me $7,000. I asked her to settle at $8,000 but she said she is only able to give me the max $1,000 over the private seller value. I told her that I was going to consult my attorney and give her a call back. She said that I have until Monday to make my decision. Do you guys think this is a good offer?

JamesB4500
1979 Torana UC SL/T
1998 Nissan Pathfinder

Just spoke to the local Nissan Dealer after they've had it for 2½ weeks with no news. Their service technician has has indicated that he thinks it's going to be a "buyback" ... but they still have to send photographs to Nissan Canada for them to confirm the fact.

I'm supposed to get a call from the Nissan Dealer tomorrow, and if the "buyback" happens, they'll arrange a rental car for me until everything goes through.

A rental on Nissan's dime will be good. The only option for public transport in this area is a taxi, and it's a $50 each way "off the meter negotiated fare" to get into town. In the 2 years that the Nissan has been off the road, I've had to do quite a few rentals to get us out of a bind when our other car needed repairs and was off the road for more than a couple of days, and when it's not off the road, our Land Rover Discovery has a voracious appetite for premium grade fuel.

Kaptainkid1

They just bought my old Pathfinder and I'm going to buy a new model because replacing this car was hard to find a replacement at similar cost and value. Worst case Morley will buy it back when it rusts out again... Lifetime rust warranty how awesome is that... Ha ha nissan...

new2infinitiqx4
Car: 1999 infiniti QX4

Im bringing my 1999 qx4 in tomorrow for 2 recalls, the gas filler line and the housing.. hoping that its repairable, but if they are gonna offer me good money for it.. i might just take it and walk away.. i havent put much money into it since i got it.. and its been my baby for 3 years so far.. i just bought new shocks and struts for it.. and need to get a new axle.. but if they say its unsafe then eh.. take it.. id rather get over book value for it then worry that they did a bad job fixing it.. oh yeah and i get a loaner too free of charge.. wish me luck lol

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Out of curiosity, why do you need a new axle?

Good luck with the outcome! I hope it's repairable.

JamesB4500
1979 Torana UC SL/T
1998 Nissan Pathfinder

It's been a week since the Nissan dealer said they'd passed their recommendation for a "buy-back" on to Nissan Canada. Still no news. The service representative handling the car said that if I haven't heard from either the dealership or Crawford by 2PM tomorrow (Friday), to give the dealership another call.

Interesting that the service rep referred to Crawford and not Morely. Has there been a change in agency handling the buy-back claims?

new2infinitiqx4

:biggrin: :naughty: :naughty: :biggrin:
yay! its just level 1 which is awesome!! i get to keep my babylol they are gonna spray the sealant in the wheel wells and i get to have it back by five today.. very quick i should say too dropped it off in the morning at 8am after work.. and now after i wake up its all fixed lol .. :spitout: :spitout:
:woot: :woot:
and just to answer your question.. i need a new axle because the boot has broken open around it and its easier to replace the whole thing then to take apart the axle for the boot.. ;)

new2infinitiqx4

and thank you towncivillian for got to say that :-) :bigthumb: :dblthumb:

new2infinitiqx4

got back the truck new filler tube and sprayed down wheel wells with their coating.. but they gave me a short list of things i need to do lol ofcourse bring it to a mechanic and find out more.. lol oh well its not that bad of things.. they say i gotta regreese my bearings in the front.. power steering belt which ill just get all the belts done all 4 rear links? idk what that even is.. probably the sway bar links?

new2infinitiqx4

HAHA well seems like im posting alot.. wasnt gonna post anything else till someone responded.. BUT i went outside to smoke a cig and i just noticed my running boards arent attached to my fender WTF?? looks like im heading back to infiniti tomorrow to have them reattach them and god forbid if they try to make me wait or pay for it.. case i personally had taken off one of my fenders a while back to replace the anteana and i know for a fact that i put those screws back on.. and for it to be the same on both side... wait till i get there.. im so mad right now it isnt funny...

JamesB4500
1979 Torana UC SL/T
1998 Nissan Pathfinder

My Pathfinder has been at the dealer for 4 weeks now, and they still haven't received any word on whether my Pathfinder is either a fix or "buy-back" candidate. I am getting so sick and tired of the uncertainty.

So far there's been one mention from the dealer of Nissan providing a rental, but it seems that the car has to be considered a "buy-back" candidate before that happens ... four weeks sitting in the workshop waiting for a decision on how to classify the car doesn't warrant any assistance from Nissan. Of course, in the 2 years since the Pathfinder suspension failed, I've gotten used to providing my own solutions to transport problems in a semi-rural area when our other vehicle is off the road due to mechanical failures.

new2infinitiqx4

its crazy they didnt give you a loaner.. they have enough cars in the lot to supply you with something.. forget the rental.. ask for a loaner and demand it due to they have had it for so long..

JamesB4500
1979 Torana UC SL/T
1998 Nissan Pathfinder

As I had to make the 90km round trip into St John's to pick up some stuff for our ongoing house renovations, on a hunch I took all the Nissan paperwork and the receipt for the towing charge and dropped in to the Nissan dealership. They'd just gotten off the phone with Crawford shortly before I got there, and the news was that the car has been declared a "buy-back".

I am pleased by this, as 2+ years of open storage since the strut tower failed has pretty much turned the Pathfinder into a basket case and I was ready to have it towed away for scrap before I heard about the recall.

I'm supposed to get a call today or tomorrow from the one woman at Crawford that's handling all the Canadian strut recall claims. Once I have accepted the offer, it should take them just 3-5 business days for them to cut a check.

The wife drove home in our Land Rover. I drove home in a Chevy Malibu rental.

With luck, it may all be over by the end of next week.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”