1996-2004 Pathfinder / QX4 Strut Housing Corrosion Recall

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

BoostMyQX4 wrote:
Towncivilian wrote:I believe your Infiniti dealer is mistaken. Print out the first 3 pages of this recall TSB and bring it in to your service adviser, see what they say.
Where? Do i have to look for one?
The service adviser is the person in the service booth that you pull through to request service.

BoostMyQX4
Car: 96 Infiniti QX4

Towncivilian wrote:The service adviser is the person in the service booth that you pull through to request service.
Thanks, ill just take a ride to the infiniti dealer on saturday if i have time and see what happens.

FlyingFlynn
Car: 2000 Pathfinder

For anyone who's vehicle has been totaled by Nissan. You can ask the Morley rep for a VPP code from Nissan to get the employee discount for a new Nissan. I only found this out after complaining to the rep, and asking what Nissan was doing for their loyal customers. If they were doing anything to keep their customers. At the time she did NOT tell me how to get it, but that it was being offered. I had to speak to a sales manager, then ask Morley manager who directed me to the person who handled the claim. This seems to be a little known secret. I have not had the sales rep enter the code in yet, so I do not know what it really gets you. Since I am not in a position of a new car payment, I can not be picky.

I have been in a rental since Dec 30th and just accepted their offer, it supposedly takes two weeks for them to call you to schedule a date at the dealer to hand over the title and rental for the check. So I guess you need to have a backup car ready. For anyone who would like to know I have a 2000 pathfinder in a middle atlantic state, and this car was garage kept for the last 10 years. This was a stressful experience to say the least.

suemagoo
Car: 2000 Nissan Pathfinder LE

I actually had a Morley rep tell me how to see the possible savings. Go to http://insidenissan.com/savings.html
Cosse the "friends and extended family" tab. But remember the prices listed are for the base models... you do need to get the code to be able to apply the saving at a dealer.

Colombia81er
Car: 98 Pathfinder Le, (Sold)01 VW Jerga VR6, (Sold)99 Pathfinder SE , (Sold)06 Magnum R/T AWD

Hi i just bought me a 99 Pathfinder my wife is so happy about the SUV since it's AWD but now that im reading this i was doing my breaks earlier and seen a HUGE hole on my driver side wheel well. My question is this since i bought the car will the recall be available to me? I will be calling the local Nissan dealership tomorrow.

I will post pics of the rust. :squint:

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Yes, anybody who owns a Pathfinder / QX4 is eligible for the recall. Hell, if you stole one then drove it to the dealership, you'd still probably get service. Also, technically our vehicles are 4WD, not AWD.

Colombia81er
Car: 98 Pathfinder Le, (Sold)01 VW Jerga VR6, (Sold)99 Pathfinder SE , (Sold)06 Magnum R/T AWD

Towncivilian wrote:Yes, anybody who owns a Pathfinder / QX4 is eligible for the recall. Hell, if you stole one then drove it to the dealership, you'd still probably get service. Also, technically our vehicles are 4WD, not AWD.
Yeah u right lol i have a AWD Magnum i thought of that but here are the pics of my rusted wheel well.

Does it look or BAD ??

BoostMyQX4

Yes, you need to call Nissan 1-800-NISSAN1

Colombia81er

BoostMyQX4 wrote:
Colombia81er wrote:

Does it look or BAD ??
Yes, you need to call Nissan 1-800-NISSAN1

Does it look repairable ? or NOT AT ALL.... My wife is so :frown: since she fell in love with the car smh..

BoostMyQX4

Colombia81er wrote:Does it look repairable ? or NOT AT ALL.... My wife is so :frown: since she fell in love with the car smh..
Once you call Nissan and tell you where to take it, probably nearest Nissan dealer to you, they will inspect the car and will let you know if fixable or not.
But you need to call ASAP specially if your wife is driving it you know to be on the safe side.

Colombia81er

Thats the problem we drove it just once i got the car on sat .. drove it then i did u full tuneup .. after i seen that i came here i will call them today and see when can i bring it in.

RustyPenetration
Car: 1999 Pathfinder SE w/Leather, premium sound, sun roof, alloys, running boards, etc.

Hello all. I guess I am a little confused right now. I pulled a carfax over the weekend on my vehicle because I am thinking about upgrading and was surprised to find the strut rust recall. I immediately jacked up the pathy and started looking into the problem. I found penetration in area 1 on the passenger side and pretty deep surface rust on the drivers side in area 1.

I have read the recall bulletin from top to bottom but am unsure if PASSENGER side rust penetration in area 1 is grounds for deeming the vehicle "unsafe".

I don't really want to lose my SUV but I don't want to drive my kids around in an unsafe vehicle. I have made an appointment with nissan but if this is unsafe I will drive my F150 until it gets checked out.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

RustyPenetration wrote:Hello all. I guess I am a little confused right now. I pulled a carfax over the weekend on my vehicle because I am thinking about upgrading and was surprised to find the strut rust recall. I immediately jacked up the pathy and started looking into the problem. I found penetration in area 1 on the passenger side and pretty deep surface rust on the drivers side in area 1.

I have read the recall bulletin from top to bottom but am unsure if PASSENGER side rust penetration in area 1 is grounds for deeming the vehicle "unsafe".

I don't really want to lose my SUV but I don't want to drive my kids around in an unsafe vehicle. I have made an appointment with nissan but if this is unsafe I will drive my F150 until it gets checked out.

Any help would be appreciated.

John
Even a level 2 repair for the passenger side involves clearing the rust, installing fiberglass patches, and undercoating. No bracket involved. I'd imagine that unless there is a crazy amount of metal perforation, you're fine. You may want to give 1-800-NISSAN1 a call and ask just to be sure, though.

RustyPenetration
Car: 1999 Pathfinder SE w/Leather, premium sound, sun roof, alloys, running boards, etc.

So, is the repair plate not used on the passenger side?

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

It isn't, according to the TSB.

RustyPenetration

Thanks. I think that answers my question about safety. If they aren't installing a plate because of "area 1 penetration" on the passenger side then I guess they do not consider it unsafe.

Mzchanel05
Car: 1997 SE nissan pathy

Update: morley rep called me minutes ago and she offered me $4200 which was for my 97 pathy... I told her not acceptable this car dangered my life as well as my newborn then she said ill give u $500 I said no make it $5200 she put me on hold then came back n said deal... So I have to wait about 3 weeks for the check. Truly happy I wouldve got less if sold on the street

bailey7593
Car: 1997 pathfinder

I just received a phone call from Morley but not THE phone call. She was looking for info about my car so they could move forward and inspect it. My car has been sitting at the dealer and I have been in a rental car since 10/18/2011. My Pathfinder is also a 1997 and I am very happy to see the amount that was given for Mzchanel05 1997. Morley stated my next phone call will be in a few weeks. Hoping to do well with the final call.

bailey7593
Car: 1997 pathfinder

Mzchanel05 wrote:Update: morley rep called me minutes ago and she offered me $4200 which was for my 97 pathy... I told her not acceptable this car dangered my life as well as my newborn then she said ill give u $500 I said no make it $5200 she put me on hold then came back n said deal... So I have to wait about 3 weeks for the check. Truly happy I wouldve got less if sold on the street

Thanks for your post. You have given me hope :)

tropical
Car: 99 pathfinder

After almost 4 months yesterday i did receveid the check for my car.Not for the rental. It maybe take another month. Very frustraring.
On thing that i want everyone to be aware is not to rent a car yourself. Go to a nissan dealer that loan you a car. My dealer said that they did not have a car (what's was a lie-"they are very good on lying")so i went to enterprise. Now the
after $3.500 that i had to pay from my own pocket they person in charge of my case started questioning the charges from enterprise. One that he was questioning was the add driver that i have to put once it is a family car. They said they would give you $35/day for the rent so wy he"s questioning the charges once I'm $500 bellow want i could have spend? I'm very frustrared with the whole experience. This happened to someone else?Hope they pay me the full amont otherwise is going to be another fight.
Last edited by tropical on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tropical

suemagoo wrote:Well, looks like we're getting all settled here. I accepted Morley's offer yesterday. Still haven't gotten the email document yet. I can't believe they say another 3 weeks before I'll get my check!? Even though I bought an '08 Honda Pilot last night, I will gladly continue to drive their Rogue around for a while longer! Save the miles from my car... ;) I also have filed for reimbursement from Nissan for the repair I had done over 2 years ago. Hopefully that all goes smoothly as well. This has all been quite an eye opener for me. With all the things I have read about this recall and others that Nissan has had, I can't believe they are still in business. They really need some lessons in customer service. Even though I have a nice, newer vehicle now, and a car payment for the first time in 6 years :tisk: , I am still very sad to give up my Pathfinder. I wish they could have just fixed her. :frown:
Can you please tell me how you filled the reimbursment from Nissan for the repairs made? I spend about $5.000 in the last 6 montohs and the only thing they paid for was for the tires. Tkanks.
Last edited by tropical on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tropical

How can a file a reimbursement to try to recover the $5000 i put on my Pathfinder before the recall?
Nissan has paid what they want but i just had done the transmission and other things and they refused to give me the money for that.

bxrider117
Car: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE

I just saw this recall information on the Pathfinder/QX4. I have a 98 Pathfinder and I had my mechanic repair this problem before he or I realized that there was a recall. I did this back in July 201. I am wondering if anyone had this damage prior to the recall and had the vehicle serviced and still contacted Morley/Nissan about the recall. I love my Pathfinder. I have had it for 8 years and put well over 100k in miles.

Praetorian
Car: 1998 QX4

Hello All,

I've been in love with the QX4 for many years. Needed a bigger vehicle for work so I recently bought a 1998 QX4. It's in decent condition although it does have the common tailgate rust issue. Love the 4WD even though this winter has been a bit uneventful. Truck drives very well. Engine and tranny are smooth as is the ride which leads me to believe I'll get a few years out of her. News of this recall has me a bit worried.

Can anyone tell me if this recall affects Pathy's and QX4's in Canada as well? My dealer has said no but I'm not too sure I trust them after having to fight them over the fuel filler neck recall.

Looking forward to exploring this forum!

suemagoo

tropical wrote:
suemagoo wrote:Well, looks like we're getting all settled here. I accepted Morley's offer of $7865 yesterday. Still haven't gotten the email document yet. I can't believe they say another 3 weeks before I'll get my check!? Even though I bought an '08 Honda Pilot last night, I will gladly continue to drive their Rogue around for a while longer! Save the miles from my car... ;) I also have filed for reimbursement from Nissan for the repair I had done over 2 years ago. Hopefully that all goes smoothly as well. This has all been quite an eye opener for me. With all the things I have read about this recall and others that Nissan has had, I can't believe they are still in business. They really need some lessons in customer service. Even though I have a nice, newer vehicle now, and a car payment for the first time in 6 years :tisk: , I am still very sad to give up my Pathfinder. I wish they could have just fixed her. :frown:
Can you please tell me how you filled the reimbursment from Nissan for the repairs made? I spend about $5.000 in the last 6 montohs and the only thing they paid for was for the tires. Tkanks.
You have to call Nissan direct. 1-800-NISSAN1
As far as I know they will only reimburse for repairs made to the strut tower housing, but you can try for more! I just had to fax them a copy of the invoice. I originally called them 2/13/12 and I got the check this past Friday...

suemagoo

bxrider117 wrote:I just saw this recall information on the Pathfinder/QX4. I have a 98 Pathfinder and I had my mechanic repair this problem before he or I realized that there was a recall. I did this back in July 201. I am wondering if anyone had this damage prior to the recall and had the vehicle serviced and still contacted Morley/Nissan about the recall. I love my Pathfinder. I have had it for 8 years and put well over 100k in miles.
I would advise you to contact Nissan and try to get reimbursed for the repairs you had done. I had mine repaired in 2009, before the recall and did get a check to cover the cost of the repair. If you go through the whole recall procedure they are going to deem it irrepairable and try to buy it back.

Colombia81er

Well tomorrow she will go in to the STEALERSHIP for an inspection ..... for what im reading i wont see her no more =( So for the looks of it every Path/Qx4 that goes in never sees the road again. Damn My Dad's 87 Path still running like a CHAMP !!! The only reason i bought one.

Update Just took her in and they didnt even see the car and they said will fix it no matter how bad it is ... :squint: I will post back later tonight

Update #2 they just called me back and said it was done when i asked what was done he didnt have an idea :facepalm: Will post pics of the fix when i get it back !!

Here are the pics ... looks like they did a lvl 2 repair they didn't know or how to explain what they did

Here are some B4 N After
ImageImage
ImageImage

Kaptainkid1
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder

Help!

So I was driving around this weekend and my ABS light comes on and I'm guessing a little problem. It's not so but it turns out the brake lines on a Passenger side has pop out and the car is out of alignment due to the major rust problem. Does anyone know if Morleys or Nissan recall will cover Passenger side rust. I have very little rust on the driver's side but major rust on the Passenger side. Seems weird to me. It seems this problem is so bad the Strut tower is pulling apart wheel well. I have major crack,metal separation and wheel alignment problems because of rust and damages. I want to make sure I have all the facts before turning in my car to the dealership. It's drivable but it feels unsafe now. I was told by Nissan corp they do not cover the passenger side at this time and the car is damage from this rust problem. What can I do? Has anyone got Morleys or Nissan to pay for these damages?

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Yes, the passenger side is covered. If you read the recall TSB linked at the bottom of the first post in this topic, it lists the passenger side repairs.

Kaptainkid1
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder

Towncivilian wrote:Yes, the passenger side is covered. If you read the recall TSB linked at the bottom of the first post in this topic, it lists the passenger side repairs.
So I looked over the TSB link and the 53 pages as part of the recall. It seems the bracket cover is for the drivers side repair and not the Passenger side. If my strut tower is shifting and ripping apart should I assume Nissan and Morley is considering this problem as part of the recall buy back program? I spoke with a Nissan corp/Morley and they mentioned it wasn't cover. I'm wondering if they're giving me a run around or will not consider my claim to be valid since it's the passenger side. Has anyone here only claim Passenger side problems as a buy back through Morley's? Please let me know before I turn my rusty Pathfinder as part of the recall.

Thanks...

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”