1996-2004 Pathfinder / QX4 Strut Housing Corrosion Recall

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
tigger

pissedoff wrote:I have same issue with my 99 Pathfinder. Has anyone gotten a settlement on a '99 yet? I just wanted to know what to expect for my truck.
My Pathfinder was 99.5.
The offer from Morley was almost exact match to the KBB Private Party value for Excellent condition.
(they started from "Good" condition but I negotiated and they raised it to "Excellent").

bberdel
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder

They are now trying to repair mine after it was deemed unrepairable. they are waiting for a "plate"...They are going to repair then re-inspect.

sockie
Car: 98 Pathfinder

Just got off phone with Morley telling me that they will be inspecting my 98 Pathfinder at the dealership. I asked the girl how they were basing the purchase price and she told me it was the kbb private sale price. I asked her what if someone declined the offer and she said then the customer can just take their vehicle back. So I'm guessing that if you do not take the money then you can drive around in a unsafe vehicle.

metalfabsteve
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5L 5spd.
1997 Nissan King Cab 2.4L auto

I actually took my truck home tonight the first thing I did was check the torque on the frame bolts on this plate, it's supposed to be 37 ft lbs I set my wrench at 17 and low and behold they spin yet another lie from the dealer. I think I'll be unloading this s h i t bag right quick! Time for me to go buy a Toyota 4Runner, I'm so dissapointed at how Nissan is handeling this issue...

sjapathfinder
Car: 99 pathfinder

Has anyone been reenbursed for repairs/tires/etc they have made recently if they accepted the buy-back offer? Also, I have rust and holes, but not within the white dotted lines of the inspection area. Should the vehicle still fall under the repair category? My dealer is saying it's not covered under this recall because they are not within the dotted lines.

JoannaC00kies1
Car: Wooo

Still waiting.... almost 1 week down

Qxxx4
Car: 1999.5 Infiniti QX4, 2012 Mustang

I brought mine in last week to Oakville Infiniti and it was returned to me on the same date. Not sure if they did what they are supposed to but the work order says schedule 1 was done and the other issue was fine. I plan on getting rid of my q next year since its rusting EVERYWHERE and burning tons of oil so F it.

MAD2000
Car: 2000 Pathfinder SE

After back and forth with Morley I decided to accept their offer (because I found a really nice 2007 Toyota Highlander). I did get $2100 above their first offer, even though my 2000 pathfinder had 181k miles. I still need reimbursement from Nissan for the strut repair I made last year but Morley said that is not their responsibilty. After too many unanswered calls to Nissan I filed a complaint with BBB. Guess who called me today...Nissan! Didn't speak with the representative but she left a message they are concerned about my complaint. I have been trying to get answers from them since June 13 and it takes a call to BBB for them to be concerned. The Morley rep. said they have condemned "tons" of pathfinders so Nissan should be concerned. Unfortunately the best compensation Nissan offered me was $150 off Dealer invoice of a new pathfinder (are you kidding me?). Not good enough. They lost a loyal customer who has owned 3 pathfinders since 1995. I made sure every dealership I went into looking for a used car was aware of the pathfinder problem. Still really surprised few people know about this.

bberdel

Mie has been repaired after 5 weeks on the lot - they are re-inspecing monday. My service rep informed me that my entire exhaust system needs to be replaced due to rust. It only has 80 k on it and is a 2003. Sweet

JoannaC00kies1

I called Morley on fridat around 11am. Rang till voicemail left atho message.. the answeting lmachime says theyll get back to you in one business hour during normal hours. I think they need to update that. Hopefully i hear back from them at all.. lol and my rental rogue is filthy im sure the.dealer ship will charge me an arm n a leg in cleaning fees

eafin
Car: 99 Pathfinder 106000miles...

http://morleyinteractiveservices.com/vs ... 9F892E94E1

Got my call today from Morley...Calls dont come through identified on the caller ID...thought that odd...We dont answer calls we do not know....Thought I'd post their site for all of us to read about...I'll be posting if and when I receive my next call advising me of my/their next move...We are like many here, who have paid off their car....and dont want to buy another car at this time...or even think about car payments again....
Wishing everyone gets satisfaction with all that happens in the upcoming weeks....

bberdel

mine passed inspection after the fix - going to pick it up today.

JoannaC00kies1

I called today. the ladytruck i got seemed confused at first and she told me that the inSpector had seenthe my vehicle and deenedi it irrepairable. I gotta send a fax of my drivers license registration and title to move forward? Gonna take a week to get another copy of the title ... i hate not being able to use my vehicle as a work vehicle.

JoannaC00kies1

Posting from a smartphone. **

JHW5
Car: Infiniti QX4

Picked my 1998 QX4 on Friday, 9/16. Willis in Des Moines had it for 3.5 weeks and after initially saying the problem was "really bad", they performed " Level 2 Repairs to the strut housing area which was badly rusted away and resting on the steering shaft." The technicians at Willis determined it was repairable after receiving clarification/guidaince from Nissan. After calling Nissan, they indicate they are totally confident that the trained technicians can evaluate this car is safe to drive. Anyone else have same concerns!?
Also, when I picked up the QX4, the battery had died while in the shop. The dealership charged my $35 for a jump start and battery test... :wtf2:

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

JHW5 wrote: Also, when I picked up the QX4, the battery had died while in the shop. The dealership charged my $35 for a jump start and battery test... :wtf2:
That's just totally unacceptable in my opinion.
It's not even the $35.00. It's the gall of the dealership to actually charge you for it after everything that has been happening with this recall.
Nissan/Infiniti already have a major PR issue on their hands, and to insult you with a bill like that is just adding salt to the wound.
Even if you don't get your money back, I'd be writing to the dealership and Infiniti, expressing my displeasure. What a crock.

metalfabsteve
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5L 5spd.
1997 Nissan King Cab 2.4L auto

Well JHW5 I had the same concerns and argued with Nissan about this and got nowhere mabey try and see if they will give you a letter saying that the whole repair area will still confourm to its original crash standards, really I know it wont if yours has had the surronding area of the repair piece wadded full of fiberglass like mine that is no way structurally sound. Also if you're still unshure have a repuitable collision shop look at it, get something in writing to throw at them. Nissan is only bothering with the strut tower peeling back the rust that has been forming as a result of that they don't give a crap about it even though they cover it up so you dont see the holes and how big the problem really is.. I have 16 years in the structural steel business so passing off to me a figerglassed frame rail and saying it is cosmetic is pure B.S.

Cheers
Steve

bcterry
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

My car was deemed unrepairable. My Morley agent thus far has been very responsive and good communicator. Told me that I can expect excellent private party value. Offer not received yet so holding breath. Mine is 2001 LE 150k miles with all options except video system. Looking to get offerred no less than 6750. I put 700 bucks into new O2 sensors and cat 5 months ago so looking to ask for that as well. My whole ordeal has been 3 weeks total.

bxrider117
Car: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE

I am just reading about this recall and I am unsure as to what I can do. MY strut collapsed through the frame of my car about two months ago when I lived in Arizona. My car is originally from NY. I have owned my 98 Pathfinder for the past 7 years. I shipped the car back to NY the 1st week of July and had my local mechanic repair the damage. The mechanic who fixed my car told me that he has seen this happen before with Pathfinders and always on the drivers side. Is it possible I can still take my car to be inspected or get reimbursed for the repair? If anyone has an answer please let me know.

bberdel

MIne was repaired and I picked it up yesterday - my battery was dead as well after sitting for 5 weeks they charged it for about 20 minutes, it got me home, but it is now dead and I have to pay over $100 for a new one. They will not apy for a new battery, although sitting on the lot because of the recall is clearly why it is dead.

yeldogt
Car: 02 Pathfinder 4X LE (X2)

How old is the battery? It should not have been harmed -- I have cars sit all winter.

Do you have a charger? Give it a good charge unless it is a old battery.

bcterry
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Good Morning all. Just as promised by my Morley agent I was given private party sale value excellent for my car. For a 10 yr old car that has 151856 miles 6750 is a good price. Each agent is authorized to go to this valuation so accept no less. I think this time I'm gonna by me a Z car. This experience although took some time was pleasant enough.

chrishere0
Car: 2000 pathfinder

I own a 2000 with 140k and it took a whole lot of arguing to get them to offer me 5800, they started at 5150. So my question is how did you get 6750?

yeldogt

Chrishere0 -- bcterry's car is a year newer than yours and is also an LE --- don't know what trim level you have or condition. Go to Edmunds and get a valuation.

MAD2000

For all those who are asking for repair reimbursement from Nissan: You won't get ANYTHING!!! I filed a complaint with BBB after 3 months of trying to get a reimbursement for the strut repair I had done last year (the recalled strut). I finally had someone contact me. SHe said the offer I got from Morley is the final offer and Nissan will not compensate me for any repair including the strut repair. Now what, do I sue Nissan?

patqx4
Car: 2002 QX4

MAD2000 wrote:For all those who are asking for repair reimbursement from Nissan: You won't get ANYTHING!!! I filed a complaint with BBB after 3 months of trying to get a reimbursement for the strut repair I had done last year (the recalled strut). I finally had someone contact me. SHe said the offer I got from Morley is the final offer and Nissan will not compensate me for any repair including the strut repair. Now what, do I sue Nissan?
Unless you're a multi-millionaire, Nissan will crush you in court if you go it alone. Wait for, or organize a class action lawsuit instead.

MAD2000

Do I still need to have the car to be part of a class action lawsuit? By signing acceptance letter from Morley I waive the right to sue Nissan

yeldogt

MAD2000: If they based the current value on the fact that it had a repair then they are including the repair cost in the payout -- when you asked and received the $2100 increase in the payout, was one of your points the previous money spent on the fix?

MAD2000

No, I told Morley the cost for me to buy a 2000 Pathfinder with 181k miles is 6450$ and they offered me 6000. The Morley agent told me that repair reimbursement is a separate issue handled by Nissan. The Nissan agent this morning said the reimbursement should be included in the offer from Morley.

yeldogt

MAD2000 - Interesting dilemma ........... I would try to get both of the statements in writing ....... if possible. Who did the fix? -- obviously it did not work or is inadequate. I would also call the agent back from Morley and inform them as to Nissans position.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”