94 Q45 Aux Input for MP3

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
ddrumman
Car: 08 FX35 39,000 mi, 07 G35 55,500 mi, 72 MGB

96Qowner wrote:..........And for a sub, I'd like to see a compact folded-port box that fit in the trunk under the rear shelf. You could drive it with something as small as a large-magnet 6 incher, and it wouldn't ruin the trunk space.
How about a sub enclosure that fits axactly where the cd changer is right now!?

If you're gonna use an ipod or any mp3 player you won't need the changer.

"pmq" is trying to build something for me.... we'll see if it comes to fruition.

ddrumman

Looks good.

96Qowner
Car: 1996 Q45

Maybe. I suppose if you installed a 100Hz crossover, it wouldn't matter that you're basically resonating the trunk, not the interior. Low bass is nondirectional.

But I'd rather see it frequency-tuned and vented through the package tray on the rear deck.

ddrumman

96Qowner wrote:Maybe. I suppose if you installed a 100Hz crossover, it wouldn't matter that you're basically resonating the trunk, not the interior. Low bass is nondirectional.

But I'd rather see it frequency-tuned and vented through the package tray on the rear deck.
You'd definitely want/need to use a crossover. As far as resonating the trunk.....I would have the installer sound deaden the whole car especially the trunk, like CRAZY. That alone would bring up the db output of the system.

Also, I'd have them use the space between the 6x9s as a port/vent.

qsiguy
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Turbo

My thoughts are to remove the divider panel covering the fuel tank and build a panel for that with a sub in it with an amp, probably recessed, for a clean look. Make a trim panel to mount to the front of it that will follow the wheel wells and around the whole thing. You could mount the woofer either with the magnet exposed if you have a nice looking one or normal way. Pioneer has a new shallow mount sub that is quite nice I may try. I think I'm also going to cut out the Infiniti symbol and cover the trim panel with either vinyl or trunk liner carpet and the Infiniti logo will be embossed in the panel. Should look quite nice and won't take any trunk space.

Oh, and I will be removing all or part of the bottom of the rear deck lid compartment to allow bass through the trunk and I will be rebuilding / recovering the compartment door/cover and cutting it out as well. I've always got way better bass response when we vent the trunk into the cabin. Depending on bass response I might also stuff the empty area around the fuel tank with fiber fill/dacron. Basically quilt badding from a craft store. This normally makes the woofer "think" it's in a larger encloser because it slows down the sound waves bouncing around the enclosure. There is quite a bit of airspace around the fuel tank so this setup will be "semi-free air" depending on how well you seal the sub panel from the rest of the trunk.

CD Changer area would be ok as well but I am keeping the changer. Also I think what I have planned will be very classy and clean, IMO

96Qowner

qsiguy wrote:I think what I have planned will be very classy and clean, IMO
Indeed! I like the way you think - VERY nice.

But will the gas tank be resonating? WHUMP, WHUMP! Might give the fuel system fits with the sub right up against it? Dunno. I'm not familiar with the effects of a trunk-mounted sub.

qsiguy

You'd have to be driving the sub at set resonant frequency at high volume for a long time to have any effect on the fuel tank, and it'd have to have a low fuel level. Even then I doubt you'd be able to have much if any effect on the fuel system.

Rex
Car: None

Installed my RCA's to DIN tonight, works fine.

I will agree with Shane, you'll need to make sure the recording/transfer level of your MP3's is high enough.

I'm very happy .

Rex

Update, the 99 Pathfinder HU I'm using does not have the additional DIN plug, and therefore does not accept this adapter ... I'm off to find an in dash CD HU that does.

qsiguy

Bummer, maybe we should put some posts on the other vehicle boards and ask for info about which OEM radios have an 8 pin DIN plug.

Rex

qsiguy wrote:Bummer, maybe we should put some posts on the other vehicle boards and ask for info about which OEM radios have an 8 pin DIN plug.
I think the earlier G20/J30 in dash single CD with the DNR button on the lower right hand corner do, but I'm still researching that.

So, for now, I have one car with Aux-In MP3 support and the other has a single in dash CD and trunk mounted changer.

I'll keep toying with things.

artandscience
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x, Brilliant Silver, Graphite

Hey.. I would buy your $20 adapter if you still have it. I've been trying to come up with an elegant solution to integrate a Sirius unit with my '94Q and yours seems like a good setup.

Do you still have them for sale?

best,[email protected]

qsiguy

Yes, I believe I have a few left. I have one iPod adapter and I think at least 2 of the DIN - RCA adapters. Let me know if you want one. e-Mail me at [email protected] with your address and I'll get you the total with freight.

louiegz
Car: 2003 BMW 330i, 2007 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

I highly recommend getting one. I installed my I-pod one and I never listen to the radio any more.

vishesh
Car: '95 Infiniti J30

does anyone know if this will work with the Bose HU in a '95 J30? I figured I'd ask before going through the hassle of taking out the HU and looking at the back. Just for reference, you can see a pic of the Bose HU from a 95 J30 here:

http://www.carstereohelp.com/infiniti.htm

It's model PP-2083I.

Jesda

Honestly, some of the best -OEM- systems I've heard are the Bose system in the Porsche Cayenne and the Bose 4.0 in the 98+ Cadillac Seville STS. Lots of strong, powerful, punchy sound, excellent for a car's noisy environment. They won't pass any scientific tests, but they do provide solid entertainment on the road.

Most overrated: Mark Levinson/HK system in the Lexus LX470.

Best sound system I've heard in any car was the Nakamichi head unit I bought for my 1995 Mazda 626. Even with then-six-year-old OEM Mazda-Matsu****a speakers, it was just amazing. Clean and powerful without being artificial.

A darn shame the company has lost its way.

My brother recently picked up an Alpine head unit for $350 that sounds wonderfully clean and clear in his G20, as did my dad for his Mercedes W124. Price seemed a bit high though.

New Nissans offer Rockford Fosgate. Wonder how it sounds?

qsiguy

Sorry, I don't have any idea if it will work on that radio or not. I'd like to know tho so if/when you get around to pulling it to look let us know. Then we can let the J30 guys know how to do this, or they can pick up one of mine.

vishesh

I'll snap a pic of the back of my J30's Bose HU sometime this week and post it online. My instinct is that it won't work with this adapter, but it's worth a look.

vishesh

Ok this is what the back of the Bose HU on a '94 J30 looks like. It is Clarion model CN513 (or PP-2083I, not sure which is which). It looks like I might have to build the more complicated adapter (the one that Rex posted a diagram of earlier in this thread). That sucks.

qsiguy

It's difficult to see in the photo, is that the cell phone 6 pin DIN plug you have or the 8 pin DIN plug?

I spent some time trying to source the parts that were listed on that other more complicated diagram and could not find them. It should be possible to substitute them with something else but will take some figuring to do that. If you really want to try it post it here and I'll try to spend some more time figuring it out for you....assuming you need help. Maybe you're an electronics wiz and don't need help

vishesh

qsiguy wrote:It's difficult to see in the photo, is that the cell phone 6 pin DIN plug you have or the 8 pin DIN plug?

I spent some time trying to source the parts that were listed on that other more complicated diagram and could not find them. It should be possible to substitute them with something else but will take some figuring to do that. If you really want to try it post it here and I'll try to spend some more time figuring it out for you....assuming you need help. Maybe you're an electronics wiz and don't need help
I think it's the 6-pin DIN, but I can't really tell. I searched ebay for "Bose J30" and found pics of stereos that people were selling. So I still have to physically inspect my own HU sometime.

It woould be a challenge for me to build that more complicated circuit posted earlier in the thread--the last time I built a circuit like that was like 6 yrs ago.

Btw, is there anywhere (FASM, parts list, etc.) that I can pull up a diagram of the back of my Bose HU to figure out what each plug is for? Even if my HU has a 8-pin DIn on the pback, how do I knwo for sure that it is for AUX?
Modified by vishesh at 6:54 PM 3/8/2007

qsiguy

If you have an 8 Pin DIN plug all you would have to do to see if it's an Aux plug is jump a ground wire to PIN #1. If it's the same AUX plug the Q uses the radio display will switch to "AUX 2"

vishesh

Just took a peek at the back of my Bose HU. Here's what it looks like:

That's definitely a 6-pin DIN back there, not an 8-pin. I might attempt building the more complicated circuit mentioned earlier in this thread. I'll report back on whether it works.

Lakeshow24
Car: 1991 Infiniti Q45

Can I bump this thread? My Bose stereo has the staticky volume controls that are killing me! I have the Bose that came equipped in the '91 Q45, and I just purchased a '94 Bose unit from eBay. Now I don't know how to install it, because the harnesses are different. Once I tackle this job, I want the adapters and the proper harnesses to make it work.

Any advice?

96Qowner

All you need is an adapter harness. Call Infiniti Of Scottsdale, 1-888-216-5328. Tell 'em you're from NICO = discount.

goody90q45
Car: 1992 Q45 (sold)

Lakeshow24 wrote: I have the Bose that came equipped in the '91 Q45, and I just purchased a '94 Bose unit from eBay. Now I don't know how to install it, because the harnesses are different.......Any advice?
I've got two working Bose head units from a 91Q if you want to take the easy way out and just replace what you've got. Email me if your interested.

qsiguy

Mike,

Can you check the back of the '91 Q radios and tell me if the have the 8 pin DIN plug on them? I'm trying to get a decent list together of what radios my aux in adapter will fit on.

fayceoff

Hey, I bought Lou's '95 Q, but I have a Zune and the plug for the standard iPod won't fit. Can you make me an aux-in type so I can just plug into my Zune's headphone jack? My zip is 23456 - it's residential.

qsiguy

The basic adapter is just a DIN -> RCA version. With that one you just pick up a typical 3.5mm jack -> RCA adapter to go from your mp3 player to the Bose adapter.

fayceoff

I've been awake too long; I'm drawing a blank. I don't suppose you could e-mail me a picture? Not a link, but an actual image - I'm at work. [email protected] I really appreciate it.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”