94 Q45 Aux Input for MP3

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
qsiguy
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Turbo

Soundgate replied to my dealer inquiry and will be setting me up as a dealer. I will get some prices posted as soon as I get them.

louiegz, we already established that some other radios are compatible with our G50's. Rex has a 99 Pathfinder radio plugged into his '95 G50 cd changer. I think we can make the soundgate one work. Anyway, if my wholesale price is good I'll buy one to test. If it doesn't work I can always sell it to someone that can use it.

teamgoon
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45

Hey.It's the black 8 pin DIN connector.You will NOT lose the Cd changer. It is a different plug, the rectangular white one.If you disassemble the radio, the pins are marked. you need a momentary contract switch to activate the line in. the other end of the switch goes to ground.

Here are pics of the install.http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2299831

I have since ditched the whole bose system and went with HD Radio.

This unit will directly control an iPod, but I have no interest in an iPod.It is also a DUAL SERVICE sat radio tuner! I have XM AND Sirius.
Modified by teamgoon at 5:53 PM 9/3/2006

Jesda

The Quest radio is the same as the one in the Ford Explorer.

teamgoon

The aux input is the black 8 pin DIN. no protocol adapter is nessesary.

teamgoon

off2sobe wrote:Be gentle...this is my first time diving into the inner workings of an audio system...

OK...if I use Rex's pinout above:

1: AUX ON SIGNAL INPUT2: COMBI. ON SIGNAL OUTPUT

In theory, if I run a jumper between 1 and 2 the head unit will switch to AUX and play the signal coming in from the AUX audio inputs.

Is this correct??

I wish I had a head unit to play around on...found one on ebay for about $20 bucks last week but someone nabbed it. If anyone has a head unit (working or not) that has the 8-pin DIN input in the back (see pic above) and would part with it cheap, let me know.
NO.. Momentary contact pin 1 to GROUND to turn on the aux.As for the connector, I MADE it. it;s just an 8 pin DIN with a set of RCA jacks & a wire for the turn on soldered in it.

teamgoon

NO.It's standard audio input & the radio has NOTHING to do with Bose. It's a CLARION.

qsiguy

Well heck teamgoon! Where have you been all this time! I'm going to yank my radio tomm. and give it a try. Sure beats the heck out of any $100+ part or building a high tech circuit.

I'll report back with my notes.

RyanH
Car: No more Q, just a 2006 Hyundai Sonata V6

qsiguy wrote:Well heck teamgoon! Where have you been all this time! I'm going to yank my radio tomm. and give it a try. Sure beats the heck out of any $100+ part or building a high tech circuit.

I'll report back with my notes.
I'd be interested to see what you end up with. I meant to hit up Radio Shack yesterday for some parts, but didn't find the time.

slinger5150
Car: 1999 Infiniti Q45t

I added one of these to my 99' and it works great!! I installed it in about 25 minutes.http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundauxniss.html

qsiguy

OK, it's done and it works perfectly! I have some photos I'll post but all you need is an 8 pin DIN plug, a momentary push button, an input wire of your choice, and a single wire for the input ON signal. For input I used a dual female to single male RCA 'Y' adapter, but you could wire a 3.5mm plug right to the DIN adapter if you wanted and eliminate the RCA's. I wanted the option of pluging in other things as well so I went with the RCA's. I cut off the male end so I had two female ends with wire. I soldered these female RCA's to the proper terminals on the DIN plug. I picked up the DIN plug at Fry's Electronics but I assume most electronics shops like Radio Shack would have this. I ran the cables back through the console to the center compartment and removed the cell phone cradle and ran the wires up through the existing hole. I've got to have a hundred push button momentarty switches but of course I didn't have any with me so I just put a toggle in temporarily. I will mount the switch permanently later. I have 2 more DIN plugs and 2 more RCA cables so if anyone wants me to solder up an adapter for them I will. I'll take $20 each plus shipping if anyone wants one. If you have a decent soldering iron and a little skill you can build it yourself for less than $10. If anyone wants one I'll provide the adapter and a momentary switch.

To connect into the RCA's I used a 3.5mm stereo plug to male RCA adapter. This plugs into the headphone jack on the MP3 player and then plugs into the Aux input adapter RCA's. You could really feed any audio input you wanted. I think I might build a switch so I can have multiple inputs through Aux 2. My MP3 player, XM, DVD player, and maybe a cell phone hands free.

First photo is the back of my radio. There are two aux inputs but the one that is being used here is for the cell phone (not used anymore) but it's only a 6 pin DIN. I tried briefly to see if there was an input ON wire to activate it but it didn't. It might just silence the radio audio when a signal comes through.

This is the only diagram you need. Terminals 2, 3, and 8 are not needed

Here are some photos of the adapter I made.

Here is the adapter plugged into the radio with the 3.5mm adapter plugged in as well.

This is where I came up through the console. The cell phone cradle used to be here and it left a hole after I removed it.

Here is what the radio display says after you trigger the input with a ground pulse. Also, my MP3 Player a SanDisk model.

RyanH

That looks great! I'm glad its so easy, I'll have to make some time this week to get this done. I've missed having my Ipod in the car since I got rid of my Civic and got the Q.

qsiguy

Listened to my MP3 player while I went to get lunch, WAY cool! I am so glad to finally get that figured out.

I went ahead and soldered up a couple more of these adapters. When I get home I'll round up a couple momentary switches for the package.

Let me know if anyone wants one. $20 plus freight for parts and my time

Rex
Car: None

Do you have a 99-ish Pathfinder HU to test it on?

qsiguy

No, I don't. Does it have an 8 pin DIN plug on the back? If it does just get a little wire and jump from pin #1 to ground and see if it switches to Aux 2 or something like that.

louiegz
Car: 2003 BMW 330i, 2007 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Looks like a nice setup but does it give power to your MP3 player. That would be cool. I'll give you much more than $20 bucks if you could figure that one out. And I'm sure you could sell more if you did something for the I-pod since more people have them.

qsiguy

Not all MP3 players will require the same power supply. I'm sure I could integrate about anything into this. This adapter is just a simple input for whatever audio you want to feed into your radio. I could wire an iPod harness into it I'm sure to give it power but you won't be able to control it from the radio.

I suppose an iPod unit would be the next logical model. I'll get on that. Unfortunately it will be pretty basic, I'll have to see how much I can integrate into it.

Rex
Car: None

Keep in mind, not just Q45 guys will be able to make use of this ... the Maxima guys would most likely be your biggest market.

louiegz

qsiguy wrote:Not all MP3 players will require the same power supply. I'm sure I could integrate about anything into this. This adapter is just a simple input for whatever audio you want to feed into your radio. I could wire an iPod harness into it I'm sure to give it power but you won't be able to control it from the radio.

I suppose an iPod unit would be the next logical model. I'll get on that. Unfortunately it will be pretty basic, I'll have to see how much I can integrate into it.
Yea, I dont require the use of the button controls of the HU, but I'd like sound and power from one neat cable. Button controls from the HU would be a bonus, but I could live without it. You see, my I-pod is old and doesn't hold a charge anymore, so power is key.

ddrumman
Car: 08 FX35 39,000 mi, 07 G35 55,500 mi, 72 MGB

My ipod is the newer version, less than 10 mos old and it doesn't hold a charge like they (apple) claim so don't feel too bad.

I agree though that the usb connection would be paramount.

qsiguy

Alrightythen, I have a bunch of cables and stuff available for the iPod so I'll get some parts and figure something out.

I thought of another idea that I will be doing in my car to activate the Aux input. I, like I think most, don't use the OEM cell phone so I am going to wire the trigger wire into one of the steering wheel buttons from the OEM cell phone. That will be very cool I think. I'll post details when I get it done. Hopefully later today I'll get some time.

louiegz

qsiguy wrote: I, like I think most, don't use the OEM cell phone so I am going to wire the trigger wire into one of the steering wheel buttons from the OEM cell phone.
There's a OEM cell phone button on the steering wheel? I don't have one in my 95. I only have the cruise control bottons. Must have been something they put on when you ordered the cell phone option.

qsiguy

Yes, they are right next to the cruise control buttons.

I've been looking at various cables and parts for the iPod. Can you guys that have iPods tell me what this adapter would be worth to you? The price will probably be significantly more, maybe upwards of $80-$100. Is it worth it for me to proceed with this? At this point it looks like the adapter would have the audio input, on/off button, and charging capabilities. One thing I may try when I get the iPod harnes is to see if there is any signal outputs I could use to activate the aux input when you turn on the iPod.

What do you think?

louiegz

If it works and it's easy enough to install, I'd pay $100.00. I'd be your first customer. One thing I notice that happens to the I-pod when it's connected to the lighter charger is that when you turn on the car, it turns on the I-pod, so the power would have to turn on and off with the car. I don't know if that helps any.

louiegz

Hey qsiguy, I don't know if this might help. I saw this on the online. An Ipod conector with charging. Check it out.

http://www.installer.com/item/...pxp01

qsiguy

NICE! That is perfect and I can get that through one of my distributors. Hopefully I can get it for way less than $60. That item would be an easy plug in to the aux adapter I already made. If you want I can just get this adapter for you with the one I already have and you could wire the power/ground and plug it in. If you prefer I can get the iPod harness and hard wire it to the DIN plug. You will most likely still have to connect the power wire to the other radio harness with a t-tap or other connector.

If the price is good on that iPod harness I'll prob. build a few hard wired ones regardless and offer them up to everyone here and on the other forums. Need to figure out exactly which the adapter will work on.

louiegz

Probably the hard wired one would be the most cost efective way to do it. Just more labor on your end. I guess you have to wire to other thing anyway, so it just might be the same for you. Whatever you think is best.

By the way,what would be the wires behind the HU that would be the power?

qsiguy

The ground will be wired into the adapter and the power will to to the accessory lead. I'll have to look up the color, can't remember off the top of my head. I'll just have a male quick disconnect terminal on the end and I'll supply a small t-tap so you can tap into the access. lead easy and just plug it in.

RyanH

Okay, stupid question of the day: On the RCAs you soldered to the DIN plug, how do you know which wire is the + (positive) lead and which is the - (negative) lead? The answer is probably staring me in the face and I just can't see it.

I'm gonna make me one of these, and maybe hack up an Ipod dock cable to do audio and charging, but I'm gonna hook female RCAs to the DIN plug so I can hook up a different source later on if the need/want arises. I'm too cheap right now to get the cable louiegz linked to, but it doesn't look terribly complex, and since I have a diagram of the dock connector pinout around here somewhere, I can just make my own.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

RyanH wrote:Okay, stupid question of the day: On the RCAs you soldered to the DIN plug, how do you know which wire is the + (positive) lead and which is the - (negative) lead? The answer is probably staring me in the face and I just can't see it.

I'm gonna make me one of these, and maybe hack up an Ipod dock cable to do audio and charging, but I'm gonna hook female RCAs to the DIN plug so I can hook up a different source later on if the need/want arises. I'm too cheap right now to get the cable louiegz linked to, but it doesn't look terribly complex, and since I have a diagram of the dock connector pinout around here somewhere, I can just make my own.
[img=http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j106/ ... iagram.jpg[/img]

louiegz

Here Wes, I'll fix that.

Let me know when you have one of those cables ready and how much it's going to be, qsiguy.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”