94 Q45 Aux Input for MP3

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
KEtheredge87
Car: 2002 Nissan Altima

Hi qsiguy, do you know if this kit will work on a 2002 Altima with the Bose HU? I tried to rig together a test for the DIN's #1 pin with a piece of speaker wire. I stuck one end into the #1 slot and touched the other end to a large metal tube, I'm assuming its part of the steel frame... This gave me nothing on the HU's screen about "Aux 2" or anything else...

I'm not convinced that my test "pin" was long enough to fully engage the DIN pin. I think I'll be making one of these myself, but I thought I'd ask if anyone had heard of this working on a 2002 altima...

Thanks!

qsiguy
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Turbo

Did you have a diagram of your radios plug or what inspired you to just stick a wire in a pin and ground it? That's rarely a good idea

The adapter discussed here is only for the early G50 (Q45's) pre '96. There may be some other cars it will work on but I don't have that information. I really doubt anything as new as '02 will utilize this same radio circuitry.

Maybe you already have this but your first mission should be to get a detailed diagram of the plugs on the radio so you can sort out potential options.

devon61
Car: '02 Nissan Frontier

I realize that this thread hasn't been posted on for a few years, but on my 2002 frontier I have the service manual for the head unit, and it has the same 8 pin pinout. My question is where are you hooking the ground to? I can post, or send a copy of the service manual to give you a look at it, but after looking at all that has been posted, I'm pretty confident that I have the same setup. I know you have to provide a gound pulse to activate the aux input, but again, I can;t figure where you are getting that ground pulse from? I was thinking of trying to make my own cable, but I might also be interested in just buying a pre-made one off of you. if they are still available?

Rex
Car: None

devon61 wrote:I realize that this thread hasn't been posted on for a few years, but on my 2002 frontier I have the service manual for the head unit, and it has the same 8 pin pinout. My question is where are you hooking the ground to? I can post, or send a copy of the service manual to give you a look at it, but after looking at all that has been posted, I'm pretty confident that I have the same setup. I know you have to provide a gound pulse to activate the aux input, but again, I can;t figure where you are getting that ground pulse from? I was thinking of trying to make my own cable, but I might also be interested in just buying a pre-made one off of you. if they are still available?
Shane will probably reply, but IIRC, he included a simple "button" to be used as the trigger. See the little green wire in the picture towards the to of this page.

devon61

I understand that one end of the button/trigger is wired into pin 1 (the green wire in the picture), but what I can't figure out, is does the other end wire into the ground of the white plug, ie: pins J or N? Or is there another place that the ground needs to be taken from. I ask, because I have heard reference to a "signal ground" and wasn't sure if this differed from any other ground on the unit?

Rex
Car: None

To be honest, I never dug that deep into the schematic.

Maybe try shooting Shane an email.

devon61

Sweet! I figured it out, soldered together a cable, and now have ipod connectivity for my truck. All in all it cost me under $15.

Verdict: This stereo mod also works for 2002 Nissan Frontier Trucks.

qsiguy

Glad to hear you got it working and nice to know it works on the 2002 Frontier.

Just so anyone else that needs to know has the info, the other wire from the switch can go to any ground, I just solder it to the outer shell of the DIN plug. You are just applying a momentary ground to the trigger wire.

devon61

Interesting note on my plug:

I connected the ground to the ground in the wire harness (pin J of the pinout pictured earlier in this forum). For some reason the shell of the DIN didn't do the trick. I also found that it needed a constant ground, ie: an on/off switch as opposed to a momentary push-on switch that was normally open. I tried the normally open switch initially, but found that the plug only worked when i depressed the button. As soon as i let go, the "AUX" display disappeared, as did my iPod signal.

Just thought I'd add that in case anyone was having the same problem that it took me a few days to figure out.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Another option for those looking for simple iPod integration with OEM headunits is bluetooth. You can now buy bluetooth cassette adaptors. Combine that with a bluetooth adaptor for the ipod, and you have cable-free simple iPod integration. The big downside is that the iPod and cassette adaptors both run on battery power but can't be charged while in use with this setup.For $80-$100 for both adaptors, I'm trying to decide if it's worth it for me.

qsiguy

devon61 wrote:...I also found that it needed a constant ground, ie: an on/off switch as opposed to a momentary push-on switch that was normally open...
That is how I do the 90-93 models. They need an on/off switch. So the newer models have the plug like the 94-96 but need the toggle switch like the 90-93 model. Good info. Thanks for sharing!

DoinkMobb
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Green/Tan
1996 Subaru Impreza 2.2L wagon

Super bump.

I have an MP3 compatible stereo with a USB port in my Impreza, so I'm not subjected to the radio anymore when I drive that car. But I dread driving the Q because it's either listen so silence (and the squeaky strut) or the radio or an arrangement of 6 CDs I've heard a billion times.

That little connector doesn't look too hard to make, but I was wondering if something like this would work:

Video CARD (8 Pin) to S.VIDE / RCA (Jack) / 3.5mm Audio Plug Adapter for ATI All-In-Wonder

It's for an ATI vid card, but all it's doing is passing the video signal to an S-video connection and audio to either RCA or 3.5mm. In my limited understanding, this cable should work for this application, right? Would you still need to do some additional work to trigger the AUX input on the headunit? For $2.66 + shipping, I'd be willing to mess around with it.

qsiguy

That is similar but the plug is wrong. I still make these for the 90-95 Q45 if you need one. Shoot me a PM if you are interested. If you are handy with a soldering iron there is enough info in this thread to build your own.

Shane

DoinkMobb
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Green/Tan
1996 Subaru Impreza 2.2L wagon

Ah. 8 DIN != 8 pin. The 8 DIN is circular where the 8 pin is two rows of 3 and one row of 2. I see now.

My soldering skills aren't amazing, but I guess I'll give it a shot. Radioshack doesn't have any 8 DIN connectors, so I'll have to order one from Fry's.

JDCJ
Car: 1997 Infiniti J30

Have you made one of these for a 95-97 J30? If so, and you are still making them, I would like to order one. I am about to pull my unit for repair, and would like to add a line in while I'm at it, probably with a dash-mounted 3.5 female jack.

Mine is a 1997 J30 I believe it has the 8-pin DIN, although I don't know if it is the same as the Q. Also, in addition to the regular button for the CD player, the head unit has another button for a CD-changer, which is not being used. So I don't know if that button would activate the input, of if the contact switch would still be required.

Thank you.

bigtime
Car: 94 Q45

I have a 94 Q45 without a CD changer. Wouild it be possible to use the cd button on the head unit to activate the mp3 input?

surly

Hey guys, this thread is a little old but I need a some help.
I have a 99 sentra and the back of the stock radio has the 8-din plug, I figured the process should be the same as the infiniti but have hit a strange problem.
To trip the radio into aux mode everyone had a ground switch on pin 1 (aux on signal input) but, I found the only way I can get the AUX to come on is jumping pin 1 and pin 2 (combi on signal output) and AUX will flash on the radio for a split second, it won't stay in aux mode. Anyone know whats going on? Thanks

qsiguy

Well, I'm not exactly sure what you are doing but for the 94+ models I've done you only need a momentary ground to pin 1 to activate the aux input. If you leave it grounded it does some strange things. The 90-93 models use a constant ground to the input pin but they don't use the 8 pin din plug. The #2 pin is an output so I'm not sure what's happening when you connect the input and output. I would measure the voltage on pin 2 and see if it's 12V+. Maybe on your model pin 1 needs 12V+ to activate? You need to measure the voltage on both pins before I'd go connecting them to anything.

Shane

surly

qsiguy wrote:Well, I'm not exactly sure what you are doing but for the 94+ models I've done you only need a momentary ground to pin 1 to activate the aux input. If you leave it grounded it does some strange things. The 90-93 models use a constant ground to the input pin but they don't use the 8 pin din plug. The #2 pin is an output so I'm not sure what's happening when you connect the input and output. I would measure the voltage on pin 2 and see if it's 12V+. Maybe on your model pin 1 needs 12V+ to activate? You need to measure the voltage on both pins before I'd go connecting them to anything.

Shane
Hey thanks for the tip Shane, 94+ do indeed need a switched 12V+ constant to keep it in AUX mode, I just tested it out and got it working.

Q45Owner
Car: Infiniti Q45

I'm really interested in getting one of these cables for my stock head unit. I really love the look of keeping everything stock and my system works just fine. The only thing missing is an AUX input for my phone. I tried emailing Shane, the guy who posted the info on how to do it in this thread, but he doesn't respond to my emails. Has anyone else tried to do this? I'd be willing to pay someone to get ones of these cables for my '94.. let me know! :)

Brew Q
Car: '92 Q45 91k miles, '05 FX35
past: '99 740i (r.i.p.), '92 Maxima SE, '89 Maxima SE, '04 FX35

I have one - like new, never installed. It was made for a iPod hookup with a button etc. It was also made for a '94, not sure if other years are different (came with the '94 that I bought, that I've since sold). I have no idea what its worth, probably not a lot, but email me and I'll send you a pic of it... I'm about to buy another Q, but at some point I'll probably go the aftermarket route with the whole system (so I have no need for this contraption).

twelfthman01 at gmail dot com

ddrumman
Car: 08 FX35 39,000 mi, 07 G35 55,500 mi, 72 MGB

I thought you were sending that back to me!

Brew Q
Car: '92 Q45 91k miles, '05 FX35
past: '99 740i (r.i.p.), '92 Maxima SE, '89 Maxima SE, '04 FX35

Really? After what I went through with your old Q...

You don't own a Q now, why would you need it back? ohhh, to sell it to someone else.

ddrumman
Car: 08 FX35 39,000 mi, 07 G35 55,500 mi, 72 MGB

No I just wanted to give it to a friend with a Q and you had said you'd send it. It's alright if you want to sell it...I understand...BTW the price was $89.95.

qsiguy

Q45Owner wrote:I'm really interested in getting one of these cables for my stock head unit. I really love the look of keeping everything stock and my system works just fine. The only thing missing is an AUX input for my phone. I tried emailing Shane, the guy who posted the info on how to do it in this thread, but he doesn't respond to my emails. Has anyone else tried to do this? I'd be willing to pay someone to get ones of these cables for my '94.. let me know! :)
Sorry for my slow replies. Day job keeps really busy these days. I do have one in stock at the moment, just the 8 pin din to RCA with the single wire (ground) input to activate, $35 plus shipping. I can build more but time is not cheap for me these days. UPS shipping is easiest for me but cost is typically around $7-10. Can do USPS for less but it's usually not as convenient for me to do from work. Let me know via e-mail if you are still looking and we can work something out.

Shane

dnudelman
Car: 1994 Q45 Silver/Grey

I'm looking for one for my 94, to use with android phone.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

It would be cool if someone made a module that would sense either audio or voltage when the mp3 player or phone was connected, and then output either ground or 12v to use for the input switching. The toggle switch is way too simple :D

Has anyone heard of something like that? I've googled the heck out of the idea, but with no luck.

Heath

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”