94 Q45 Aux Input for MP3

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Rex
Car: None

This is what he's talking about

qsiguy
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Turbo

Yep, that's the one. You buy one of those and I can make you one of these...

(Or you could make one yourself with the info on this thread...)

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Very cool! Now on to har drives!

AlabamaDan
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70
1998 Infiniti QX4

Seems like you've solved the iPod to Q45 blues for us. Don't know how I overlooked this thread in the past. Still got any adapters?

qsiguy

I am still making them. Also, FYI, the 90-93 models I believe have a 5 PIN DIN plug on them instead of the 8 PIN one that allows for an aux input as well. I am making one to test for someone right now. If it works then I'll have a model for the older G50's as well. So far the only model that this is confirmed to work on is the '94. Not sure about the '95 or '96 models as nobody has tried or looked for me to see if they have the 8 PIN DIN plug on them.

Oh, and I bought a few of the 3.5mm -> RCA adapters if anyone just wants me to throw one in with the adapter. They are $5 on top of the price of the adapter package you want.

qsiguy

90-93(?) Bose adapter update. I made one for a member with a pre '94 Q45 that only had one 5 pin din plug on the back and it works. So anyone with the older Q's that want's the Bose adapter we now have one for you too. It's slightly different than the '94 model but does the same job.

They will be the same price as the '94 basic one.

Current pricelist.....

1) 1994 Q45 Bose 8 pin DIN adapter w/RCA input + activation button $25Gives you a button to activate the aux input and female RCA connectors to plug in any device with RCA outputs. Most use this with a 3.5mm headphone jack to male RCA adapter to work universally with pretty much any portable audio device. This unit is just "plug and play" for '94 Q45 Bose radio, might work with some newer models.

2) 1994 Q45 Bose 8 pin DIN adapter w/iPod harness + activation button + iPod charging capability $70This one is only for use with the iPod and has the iPod harness hardwired. It also requires connection of the power and ground connections behind the radio. It also has the button for aux input activation.

3) iPod -> RCA w/power + ground adapter $50You could use this with the $25 adapter above if you didn't want to be limited to iPod only for your input, or if you want to make your own 8 pin DIN adapter. It has male RCA outputs as well as power and ground wires if you want to power your iPod from the car.

4) 1990-93 Q45 Bose 5 pin DIN adapter w/RCA input + activation switch $25Gives you a switch to activate the aux input and female RCA connectors to plug in any device with RCA outputs. Most use this with a 3.5mm headphone jack to male RCA adapter to work universally with pretty much any portable audio device. This unit is just "plug and play" for 90-93(?) model Q45's with the Bose with a single 5 pin DIN plug no the back.

5) 1990-93 Q45 Bose 5 pin DIN adapter w/iPod harness + activation button + iPod charging capability $70This one is only for use with the iPod and has the iPod harness hardwired. It also requires connection of the power and ground connections behind the radio. It also has the button for aux input activation.

6) 3.5mm to RCA adapter cable. $5.95Allows you to plug in your mp3 player to the Q45 aux adapter.

Shipping extra, send me your address for a total with shipping.

Lakeshow24
Car: 1991 Infiniti Q45

Good work, qsiguy! For the record, after complaining about my staticky volume controls, it ended up being a $5 repair. I just purchased some electrical contacts cleaner and sprayed it into the stereo volume knob. Worked like a champ!

ddrumman
Car: 08 FX35 39,000 mi, 07 G35 55,500 mi, 72 MGB

qsiguy wrote:90-93(?) Bose adapter update. I made one for a member with a pre '94 Q45 that only had one 5 pin din plug on the back and it works. So anyone with the older Q's that want's the Bose adapter we now have one for you too. It's slightly different than the '94 model but does the same job.

They will be the same price as the '94 basic one.

Current pricelist.....

1) 1994 Q45 Bose 8 pin DIN adapter w/RCA input + activation button $25Gives you a button to activate the aux input and female RCA connectors to plug in any device with RCA outputs. Most use this with a 3.5mm headphone jack to male RCA adapter to work universally with pretty much any portable audio device. This unit is just "plug and play" for '94 Q45 Bose radio, might work with some newer models.

2) 1994 Q45 Bose 8 pin DIN adapter w/iPod harness + activation button + iPod charging capability $70This one is only for use with the iPod and has the iPod harness hardwired. It also requires connection of the power and ground connections behind the radio. It also has the button for aux input activation.

3) iPod -> RCA w/power + ground adapter $50You could use this with the $25 adapter above if you didn't want to be limited to iPod only for your input, or if you want to make your own 8 pin DIN adapter. It has male RCA outputs as well as power and ground wires if you want to power your iPod from the car.

4) 1990-93 Q45 Bose 5 pin DIN adapter w/RCA input + activation switch $25Gives you a switch to activate the aux input and female RCA connectors to plug in any device with RCA outputs. Most use this with a 3.5mm headphone jack to male RCA adapter to work universally with pretty much any portable audio device. This unit is just "plug and play" for 90-93(?) model Q45's with the Bose with a single 5 pin DIN plug no the back.

5) 1990-93 Q45 Bose 5 pin DIN adapter w/iPod harness + activation button + iPod charging capability $70This one is only for use with the iPod and has the iPod harness hardwired. It also requires connection of the power and ground connections behind the radio. It also has the button for aux input activation.

6) 3.5mm to RCA adapter cable. $5.95Allows you to plug in your mp3 player to the Q45 aux adapter.

Shipping extra, send me your address for a total with shipping.
qsiguy How'bout a #2? Please PM me and I'll give you my address + I can paypal the $ to you or however you want to work it out.

I will be going to San Diego to see Larry who does Bose repairs.

ddrumman

Bump

qsiguy

Sorry I didn't catch that last post. Keep in mind that the #2 option will only work with the iPod. If you ever want to use a different audio source you won't be able to. Most have been using the standard one with the add on harness to keep options open.

I won't be back into the office til after Christmas so i hope you can wait. How soon are you going to need/want it?

ddrumman

qsiguy wrote:Sorry I didn't catch that last post. Keep in mind that the #2 option will only work with the iPod. If you ever want to use a different audio source you won't be able to. Most have been using the standard one with the add on harness to keep options open.

I won't be back into the office til after Christmas so i hope you can wait. How soon are you going to need/want it?
I like the idea of the standard one, and the only thing that makes me want to go with #2 is less cords/spaghetti stuff, the car has a cleaner look plus the ipod is getting charged. Although it would be nice to hook up your laptop on a long road trip......What are you gonna do! I don't suppose there is a way to have both, is there?

After Christmas is fine with me. I'll be going to Larry's soon after that, so no problem.

qsiguy

you can keep it clean with the standard one and the additional iPod cord. The cables don't have to be in view. You can put some quick disconnects on the power wires for the iPod adapter so you can unplug it. I also did some Y adapters for one guy so he could have the iPod plugged in and have a extra RCA available for something else without having to disconnect the iPod plug. You just don't want to have two devices plugged in at the same time.

ddrumman

qsiguy wrote:.......I also did some Y adapters for one guy so he could have the iPod plugged in and have a extra RCA available for something else without having to disconnect the iPod plug. You just don't want to have two devices plugged in at the same time.
So you can do the Y adapter with the extra RCA and the ipod being charged?

If that's the case I'd like to go for it.

etazbaz
Car: 2002 Infiniti i35

Can you make me an ipod adapter for a 2002 i35? I don't know what kind of connectors it has. It has the 6-disc changer built into the HU so it may not have an AUX connector. I would like ot get power and sound and using the HU buttons would be gravy.

Thanks,Errol

ddrumman

I think that this one would be cool and almost "stock" looking for the navi (Magellan etc )

and then one of these for the ipod on the driver's side

qsiguy

etazbaz wrote:Can you make me an ipod adapter for a 2002 i35? I don't know what kind of connectors it has. It has the 6-disc changer built into the HU so it may not have an AUX connector. I would like ot get power and sound and using the HU buttons would be gravy.

Thanks,Errol
Possibly but I have no information on the connectors and available inputs. Trouble with this model is that there are most likely production models available for your car already.

Your radio is most likely completely different than the radio in our older models. The reason this adapter was built was because there are no aftermarket products available for it. It's quite a simple to make and is a great accessory for those of us that want to keep the OEM radio for the time being.

oldmako
Car: '99 Q45 190K Black&Tan '96 Silverado 5.0 245K '89 23' Irvette CC F351

It's possible that I overlooked it, but will your homebrew work on a 99 Q with stock bose head unit?

If so, and if you still have one available....I am very interested. I'd prefer one with charging, but that is NOT mandatory. I just need to get away from FM!!

Thanks.

Pimping my ride...one C note at a time.

etazbaz
Car: 2002 Infiniti i35

There is no aftermarket solution available for my radio. I really want to keep my factory head unit. The only solution that even comes close is that they connect the ipod to the HU antenna. Which gives sound quality rivaling the best of any fm station but not cd quality. This solution also does not allow the use of the HU buttons for controlling the ipod. It does charge the ipod though. So as you can see I am in the eaxct same boat you and your fellow q owners have been in.

Thanks,Errol

qsiguy

Ok starting to get a few requests for late model adapters via email and on this thread. As of right now the only models I know how to do are 90-96 Q45's. There may be some models in those years that don't have the same radio but I know the compatible radio was offered in most of those years. The '90-93 adapter is different than the '94-96 model. The newest one I've done is a '96. There may be other Nissan vehicles that these will work on but I don't have that information. Could be some Maxima's, Sentra's, etc. that may be compatible but I don't know.

Here's a link to a PDF file with complete information on what I have available. Some of you may notice I've removed the iPod only version because I thought it was a waste. It didn't allow you to connect anything but the iPod. You can still do the same thing, you just need the standard DIN adapter and the separate iPod adapter. $75 for the set. I also have the 3.5mm to RCA adapters for $5.95.

http://www.c4caraudio.com/Q45_Bose_aux_adapter.pdf

RyanH
Car: No more Q, just a 2006 Hyundai Sonata V6

I was glancing through this thread again, and noticed its only confirmed working on 94 models. I have a 95t and it has the 8-pin DIN connector on the head unit. Made myself one of these adapters when this thread was first started, and I love it. Volume is not the same as the CD changer or radio, and I'm thinking a small stereo minijack amplifier (like some powered headphone jack splitters have, just weak sauce, not a real headphone amp) to boost volume might work well.

P.S.: qsiguy, LOVE your car. I may just steal your ideas when I'm less poor and if the wife lets me keep the car!

qsiguy

I've confirmed it for the '94 and '96 myself for the standard adapter. I've also made a different version for a '93 model that has worked successfully. So I'm pretty confident that we can get an aux input for the Q from '90-96. I have to assume the '90-92's are similar to the '93 but I'd love to have confirmation of this.

Thanks for the compliment about the car

ddrumman

RyanH wrote:....... Made myself one of these adapters when this thread was first started, and I love it. ....................Volume is not the same as the CD changer or radio, and I'm thinking a small stereo minijack amplifier (like some powered headphone jack splitters have, just weak sauce, not a real headphone amp) to boost volume might work well.............
How much lower is the ipod signal compared to the CD player? Also, are you connecting thru mini RCA or the USB charging type? Where did you position the ipod? To the right or the left of the HU?

Thanks.

RyanH
Car: No more Q, just a 2006 Hyundai Sonata V6

ddrumman wrote:
How much lower is the ipod signal compared to the CD player? Also, are you connecting thru mini RCA or the USB charging type? Where did you position the ipod? To the right or the left of the HU?

Thanks.
With the Ipod, I can turn the volume all the way up (with open windows anyway) and its loud, but not earth-shattering. If I try that with the changer, my ears want to bleed.

My adapter is just a stereo minijack cable hacked up and soldered to the din connector that ultimately ends up plugged into the headphone jack of the Ipod. I did this originally so I could easily plug other sources in, but I never do. The cable runs from the head unit through the center console and up into the center console storage box thing. I just leave my ipod in there as I don't often fiddle with it while I am driving.

I ran the switch to the little change tray between the seat heater switches, where its innocuous enough and out of the way. My wife didn't notice the switch there for months.

A fully charged Ipod has more than enough play time for the usual driving I do, its only a few hours from where I am to San Diego (on a GOOOOD day!!!), and I'm not even making that drive very much anymore.

bigblue
Car: 97 q45

I have a 1997 w Bose and I believe the HU is made by (or at least communicates by means of) Clairion. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing the 8 pin round connector when I had it apart a few years ago.

Did the Y33 HU change between 1997-1998 and the 1999-2001 setup?

AlabamaDan
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70
1998 Infiniti QX4

I've a 94 Q with 100% factory radio. I also have the 10 disc cd changer. Can I keep what I have and add the iPod adapter?

ddrumman

AlabamaDan wrote:I've a 94 Q with 100% factory radio. I also have the 10 disc cd changer. Can I keep what I have and add the iPod adapter?
I believe so. You better be able to, cause that's exactly what my stereo is (factory), and I just ordered that set up. I should be receiving it today, tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.
Modified by ddrumman at 7:34 PM 1/23/2008

qsiguy

Yes, in the '94-96 the CD changer is on a different plug and I'm not aware of any OEM device that uses the 8 pin din plug we are using for the aux adapter.

Not sure about any of the '97 or after Bose radios. You'd have to make sure it has the plug ( or another available plug) and we would need to check the FSM for a diagram of the plug.

ddrumman

Just got the package. Thanks for pre assembling it. I'll let you know how it turns out after the Bose rebuild down in San Diego.

Don Giovannii
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q-45

great job guys, looks good, think i may give this a try or either get a double dinn receiver.

bigblue
Car: 97 q45

I have a 1997 w Bose and I believe the HU is made by (or at least communicates by means of) Clairion. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing the 8 pin round connector when I had it apart a few years ago.

Did the Y33 HU change between 1997-1998 and the 1999-2001 setup?

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”