94 nissan altima stopped working

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
Mikemc73
Car: 94 nissan altima SE KA24DE 4-cylinder

My car has been getting worse over the past couple months until it finally stopped working. It started with the car bucking as I would drive it, like the entire car would be pushed forward and back with the and it would be worse when I put it in drive or when it got into a higher gear. It would also almost shut off in the middle of traffic and I would have to restart it. I drove it to Atlanta from Tampa fl, about 450 miles, and when it is in high gear it runs fine. I would then turn it off and it would almost not start. After a few tries I was able to get it started again and drive it back home. When I got back home it finally wouldn't start at all. When I try to start it it makes a ticking sound and a humming sound in the background. Any idea what the problem could be?

Mikemc73
Car: 94 nissan altima SE KA24DE 4-cylinder

And I don't know much about cars so I'm sure there is more info that may be useful so please ask questions. I'm in a very tight spot. I currently don't have a job. Getting one close by I can walk to but trying to get another that is further away and the longer I don't have a car the more precarious my position becomes. Really appreciate any help. Thanks!

Timothy S
Car: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE, Auto RE4FO4A, KA24DE Engine

Sounds like the engine works fine at high revolutions, but can't idle. Do you have a check engine light on? if so it would be nice to have someone read the code. Did the car idle slowly? Altimas have had a lot of mixture problems caused by bad intake manifold gaskets. Unfortunately, you need it to run so you can have the code read or check a gasket with brake cleaner.
If the car won't start, you can still do the basic checks:
Is there Fuel? are the fuel injectors clicking? can you hear the fuel pump running? Tried starting with the gas pedal depressed?
Is there spark? use a spark checker or timing light to see if the spark plugs are firing.
Is there the right amount of air? Try un plugging the Mass Airflow Sensor just downstream of the air filter box. this puts your car into "limp mode" to where it puts fuel into the engine even if the MAF sensor is not working. If you get it running you can troubleshoot why it is running rough.

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”