94 240 conv with AT shift problems

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
Jesda

Happened to me once. I bumped it into neutral and back into drive, and all was well.

omg240
Car: 93 240sx vert, 1991 300zx TT

My convertible was shifting the same way everyone elses is. I didnt really know what to do and just found this topic tonight. I found a s14 tranny that shifted perfectly a couple weeks ago and I am having installed as we speak. Am I going to run into the same problem with an s14 automatic tranny?

ishkabibble
Car: 1992 NX2000 hardtop, 1993 NX2000 t-top, 1997 Infiniti I30t

If your rotational sensor is bad, probably.

omg240
Car: 93 240sx vert, 1991 300zx TT

Does anyone know Nissan's part number for the revolution sensor?
nosferatu226 wrote:The tail lights and brake lights stay on when i turn the car off so I have to disconnect the battery when i turn the car off
My vert had this problem. There's a plastic tab on the back of the brake pedal that depresses the brake light switch. If the tab breaks off, the brake lights will always be on.

dirtratt
Car: 1996 Nissan 240SX

NISTECH I have searched through the posts and cannot find anyone with this problem(96 240SX Coupe) sticks in 2nd gear. I used to turn it off and on and it would clear but that doesn't work anymore. Any suggestions?

mazinger-z
Car: 90 240sx

my car (90 hatch) problem is not the same as the others in here but may be you guys can help. when is on the D it doesn´t move but it does works fine if i start on 2 it runs first and second fine and then i move it to D and it shift the others fine. so what can be the problem and what should i do? thanks.

alex4
Car: 89 coupe, 87 supra

Yeah, I've been having this exact shifting problem. Wouldn't go out of first sometimes, other than that it's fine. I read this forum and looked at that picture of where to unplug it. Driving home the other day, it would not shift AT ALL. I finally had to just stop and tell folks to pass me. I got out and unplugged it- ran perfectly.Is this a hard replacement? If so, I'll have nissan do it, but I'd rather do it myself. Also how much does a new one cost from nissan?Thanks

ishkabibble
Car: 1992 NX2000 hardtop, 1993 NX2000 t-top, 1997 Infiniti I30t

Just leave it unplugged. I've been running mine unplugged for months.

MXMOVRDV
Car: 94 240sx vert 66 mousestang

This article was so helpful and very informative that I feel like ripped some one off by not paying them for it. I followed this article and it helped me to fix my problem. It was a little tough replacing the switch due to very little room beside the trans. Had to take the trans mount off and PUSH the trans side ways to get the sensor out and in. Thank's again for all the info. This is why i became a member. To help out with my knowledge that I have.

airborne
Car: 89 240sx fastback, 89 240sx coupe, 92 240sx convertible, 93 240sx fastback

hey kc240guy,

hey man i will be moving back to KC next year with my 240's. just trying to know some people around when i move back home.

airborne
Car: 89 240sx fastback, 89 240sx coupe, 92 240sx convertible, 93 240sx fastback

this whole thread has made me scared as crap helped me decide to just change to manual. good thing I have an extra manual tranny and basically everything else on hand except for the pedals.

I bought a 92 convert that i need to pick up in ends of mar 08 and i dont know what kind of tranny problem might have. got it on ebay for 1700 from a dealer. they say it misses a little bit. who knows.

I can rebuild a manual with my eyes closed but an auto, no way. thank god all my other 240's are manual. I cant wait to get back home and get all of them painted, the fast back will be blue and the coupe and vert red. I will post pics when i start doing mods.

Seiferliny
Car: 93 240sx conv se

Hey guys I'm having some automatic transmission problems. I had just bought a 93 240sx se convertible and on my way home not even 20 mins in the transmission started having problems....

When i test drove it, it shifted perfect....around the same time the transmission started having problems my lower radiator hose split don't know which one occured first guessing the hose.....well i replaced the hose but the transmission is still having problems I didnt drive to far once the tranny started acting maybe a mile or 2 then i pulled over and fixed the hose....and drove it home bout another 5 miles maybe....

Now the tranny is still messed up from what i can tell it shifts from 1st to third because i manually was shifting and i went from first to second and nothing then once i put it into drive it shifted not really sure if its third cause when i down shift to second nothing happens but when i go to first it down shifts and has a bit of leeway when giving it gas before the gear starts to pull when releasing the gas and giving it gas again another weird thing i noticed was when the rpms are getting higher my temperature gauge starts dropping it hits cold then the tranny shifts usually very erratic shifting times sometimes it will do it at 3k lil hard and usually its between 4-5k

I read this forum about the rev sensor and all that i pulled it and nothing changed....

any ideas anyone ?

NISTECH please bestow upon me your great knowledge!

kc240guy
Car: gold s13 and a maxima

so back in the day i unplugged the rev sensor and went on my way with no issues. now my car wont shift out of second to 3rd at all. it started just shifting late so i thought it was the tps so i unplugged it and it shifted earlier. now it wont shift whether its plugged in or not and when i plug the rev sensor in it doesnt even shift out of first at all.

240sxdrifterS14
Car: 1993 240, 91 missle

Thank you to everyone who helped bring this to an end!!! So far since I disconnected the sensor I have no problems hopefully it stays this way. Finally I have fallen in love with my car.

edward08
Car: 1993 nissan 240sx convertible and a 2008 nissan sentra

I had replace the shift solenoids and i had never had the problems ever again.

rcsister4
Car: 2-240sx convertables

I have 2 92 240SX cov. Am new with all this and really learned a lot, pretty over wellming, My red one won't go into overdrive, the O/D light comes on, but that's all. I'm going to try some of the things I read tonight and see what happens. I also love the cars, I drive all kind of cars at the car auctions I work at but there is nothing that is as much fun to drive as they are. Thanks guys zer...11657#

mv520

is it hard replacing the solenoid?

BiXLL
Car: ****VERTS**** Black 93--Red 92--White 93

OK, I did the unplug of the Rev sensor and it fixed the shifting problem. Now, has it been decided how long we can run like this without causing other problems? I mean the Rev sensor was put there for a reason, can we run with it unplugged indefinitely?

mv520

one question where is the automatic transmission solenoid located at?

DoctorRobert
Car: 1986 Nissan 300zx, 1985 Nissan 300zx, 1987 Nissan 300zx

Wow. I have had this exact problem with my car. Some days it's worse than others. Well, I just read this and, even though it's 1:01 AM, I had to go try it out on my car. I unplugged the revolution sensor, and took it for a very brief drive. It shifts differently now, but seems to have much better power. I haven't driven it long enough to find out if it's made a change to the shift problem, but I'm really counting on it.

Ok - so I do have a couple questions, one that has been asked before and I've never seen an answer to, and another...

While I do plan on replacing the revolution sensor eventually, it may be a while, so is there any chance my precious will be damaged running it like this?

Other one... Does it decrease gas mileage? One poster I saw said it did with his car, but I was wondering if anyone else found that to be the case. This car is kind of my daily driver currently, and while gas prices have greatly dropped, I do still feel cheap, ha, ha.

Thanks!!

guyaverage
Car: 240sx Convertible

The solenoid(s) is/are inside the transmission, right on the other side of the pan if you remove it. You will have to remove the valve body (not for the faint of heart) if you want to replace all of them. It can be done with the transmission still in the car, though. They do go bad occasionally but late shifts are usually either the revolution sensor or the throttle position sensor.

Driving with the rev sensor unplugged wont hurt anything except maybe burn out your overdrive light sooner. You wont hurt the transmission or computer.

DoctorRobert
Car: 1986 Nissan 300zx, 1985 Nissan 300zx, 1987 Nissan 300zx

You know the car seems to drive much more sporty now that it's shifting off of the engine RPMs and not the revolution sensor.

speedgods13
Car: Nissans, Counter-Strike, Girls

To everyone who has disconnected their rev sensor, I ask you this: Did your o/d light start flashing? I disconnected mine, started the car, and no flash whatsoever. I haven't taken it for a test drive yet, but I will when I get off of work. I don't mind if it fixes the problem, and my o/d light doesn't flash. It would be even better, if it worked out that way. Well, that didn't fix it for me. I'm so pissed. I guess, it isn't going to be an easy fix.
Modified by speedgods13 at 6:54 PM 3/11/2009

guyaverage

^^ Yes it may do that because the tranny ECU is detecting the sensor "missing" from the circuit. Not a problem.

saltfish

This forum is a great service to all Nissan owners...I'm a new owner of a 94 Vert and have been having trans issues (like nearly everybody at one point or another)

The car will drive fine (has a long 1-2 shift but I was dealing with that) then at about the same point in my daily commute the check engine light will go on and shortly thereafter the trans will go in failsafe mode....this sucks to say the least. In the past I have pulled over and put it in park and then back into drive and this has temporaily fixed it. Sometimes the check engine light will go off and other times it won't but it doesn't always go into failsafe but it usually does around 15-20 min into the commute almost always at the same place in the road.

After reading these posts I'm going to try disconnecting the rev sensor but it seems that helped people with the 1-2 shift...what about the fail safe problem? Is there something else I can do for an easier fix? Thanks!

guyaverage

If by long 1-2 shift you mean it holds 1 until too high an rpm before it shifts, thats either a bad rev sensor, bad speed sensor, or the throttle position sensor is defective or out of adjustment. Unplug the rev sensor first.

If by long shift you mean it shifts at the proper speed, it just takes a while to get into 2, thats normal. The 1-2 shift in 240's is intentionally slow to smooth it out. There are ways around that. One involves replacing the 15 ohm dropping resistor with a 100 ohm power resistor (Radio Shack) or better but not as easy, replacing the 1-2 solenoid spring in the valve body with a larger spring from a 300zx or Pathfinder (i'm not sure which one has it but I bought a spare tranny from a guy that had the larger spring and it really firmed up and sped up the 1-2 shift nicely without being harsh.)

saltfish

I could deal with the long shifts...I can't deal with going into failsafe mode. When it has happened I notice that stopping and turning the ignition off and on seems to fix it. It just sucks when you are on the highway at 6000rpm doing 30 mph with nowhere to pull over.

khmer1

hey yah im having a shifting problem my transmission doesn't upshift but you can manually shift it(1 to 2 to d but it doesn't feel like it even shift when you put it on D so yea)so it just climbing the rpm without upshifting and slowly gaining speed so i was wondering if this is a same thing as every one problems on it here would it work?but it seems like it from the 91-94 models with the ka24de dohc? would this be the same as the 89-90 sohc version the one with the sohc would it have almost all the sensor from the dohc

btw does anyone have a picture of the location of the rev sensor,the tcu,and maybe other sensor that might be the cause of this problem

and is the rev sensor plug at the same location as the dohc in the sohc..pics would be very helpful thanks

i just change my tranny but that didnt do anything good so now im looking for other causes and if fix it i be one happy sob and wouldnt regret getting my 240sx were i put so much money into just to get it running good

khmer1

ok so i just got my car back from the mechanic and he said it not the transmission it is something electrical and he said when he took off the tcu/tcm? he said he was able to manually shift from d1 to d2 to d3 and he checked the tcu/tcm opened it and said he didnt see no burnt circuit but had water marks soo any one know what might be the problem?
Modified by khmer1 at 7:59 PM 3/27/2009

khmer1

bump it i need answers?

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”