93 KA24DE A/T no oil, loud knock, head removal?

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
ViolatoR

1993 240sx KA24DE stock engine save for an aftermarket intake and exhaust. Plugs replaced about a year and a half ago, along with the wires, ignition coil, and distributor cap. The engine has stripped valve cover bolts, and I haven't put in a new main seal yet, so oil does to leak out. The gaskets are fine though.

There has been a rattling which suddenly got very bad sounding, and oil is now really draining out a lot. The dipstick was dry when I checked but the plugs were soaked. (I wasn't driving the car, but apparently the oil light came on at high RPM and the rattle got very loud.) No smoke from exhaust or odd smells. No engine codes besides 5-5 "all fine."

My engine is inside the engine bay. I've removed the valve cover, the distributor, the camshafts, upper timing chain tensioner and upper timing chain and the cover in front it of course, and started removing the exhaust manifold, but...

I watched the video on the Cylinder Head Removal (http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/how-to ... video.html) which unfortunately skips all the necessary steps to get to that point, like: what do I do with the intake manifold? Do I need to do more than just unbolt it from the head? I've unbolted the fuel rail, but does the top of the intake manny or does both parts need to come off before the head is removed? There doesn't seem to be any information on those steps and the only write up I could find was about removing unnecessary emission stuff for a KA-T install.
Last edited by ViolatoR on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ViolatoR

Edit: moved info to OP
Last edited by ViolatoR on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ViolatoR

Edit: moved info to OP
Last edited by ViolatoR on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

Dude its gone total rebuild needed

ViolatoR

I watched the video on the Cylinder Head Removal (http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/how-to ... video.html) which unfortunately skips all the necessary steps before getting to where he starts the video, like: how much needs to be removed to get the engine to the point where the head can come off? And is there a write up on that anywhere? All I could find was a guide on removing unnecessary emissions stuff.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”