89 nissan hardbody 2.4, clutch (no pressure)

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

Just an opinion.... personally when bleeding the clutch I have someone pumping the clutch pedal and someone bleeding the slave cylinder.. This way your able to observe the movement of the rod. Using a bleeder kit doesn’t provide the best results. Keep in mind mosh parts are manufactured over the pound Been down that road, defected parts. When ordering parts Always go by the vin number. If you change the transmission fluid I would recommend using a synthetic fully synchronized fluid. If the truck is a 4x4 be careful unloading the tension on the torsion bars.. also if you change the transmission fluid check for metal pieces especially brass. Depending on what you decide... removing the transmission and transfer case as one unit or separate them. Make sure you order the seal if you separate them and a a tube of silicone. Double check the clutch assembly application making sure pilot bearing is included and a pilot shaft is included. Personally I would have the flywheel resurfaced rather than replacing it. Keep in mind the year of the truck. Lots of modifications may have occurred over the years. Better off ordering parts locally versus online. Another issue if you replace the flywheel... different thickness... diameter... number of teeth... may not be the original

velkin
Car: 1989 Nissan Hardbody 2.4 2wd D21

whomadewho wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:04 am
Just an opinion.... personally when bleeding the clutch I have someone pumping the clutch pedal and someone bleeding the slave cylinder.. This way your able to observe the movement of the rod. Using a bleeder kit doesn’t provide the best results. Keep in mind mosh parts are manufactured over the pound Been down that road, defected parts. When ordering parts Always go by the vin number. If you change the transmission fluid I would recommend using a synthetic fully synchronized fluid. If the truck is a 4x4 be careful unloading the tension on the torsion bars.. also if you change the transmission fluid check for metal pieces especially brass. Depending on what you decide... removing the transmission and transfer case as one unit or separate them. Make sure you order the seal if you separate them and a a tube of silicone. Double check the clutch assembly application making sure pilot bearing is included and a pilot shaft is included. Personally I would have the flywheel resurfaced rather than replacing it. Keep in mind the year of the truck. Lots of modifications may have occurred over the years. Better off ordering parts locally versus online. Another issue if you replace the flywheel... different thickness... diameter... number of teeth... may not be the original
Thank you so much. I mean it. :dblthumb:

whomadewho

Another extremely important thing....Regardless if you change the clutch or farm out the job. I would highly recommend going under the vehicle and spray all the bolts with your choice brand of penetrating oil. Especially the torsions adjusting bolts....Cross member ... driveshaft.. hanger bearing. No specialized tool are necessary. The only other tools I use ...Is the GAS wrench ..various pry bars ...and ALWAYS A.... B.F.H. Spray the bolts often. Another tip... If you’re not mechanic you better be a good friend of Mr. Good wrench. You should be able rent or borrow the jack? Another suggestion... Before purchasing the clutch assembly...Remove the master clutch clutch cylinder and bench bleed it. Have one person pump the clutch pedal and the other person look under the hood at the clutch cylinder to rule out the possibility that the cowl is moving.

velkin

No update yet, I took some time off from her, my gf says i've been spending too much time and money with my side booh (truck). :rotfl
Attachments
started!.jpg

whomadewho

GOOD LUCK with the gf. Some excellent advice when your dating.......Always practice catch and release....Get married to a rich women, you can always learn to love them later. ....People always fear death, the best year to get married is roughly 70. Takes the fear of dying away and gives you something to look forward to. Always keep in mind if you ever divorced, she gets 50 percent of your 50 percent. The nice thing about working on vehicles..... You can junk them out and have cash in the pocket If and when you get frustrated you can park them. Vehicles and women have a lot in common. When the drive train starts showing signs of wear and the body gets old a guy gets tired of dealing with them.

velkin

ironically the gf will be my pedal(man) to bleed the clutch today!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I'm glad there are other completely sexist individuals here and it isn't just me. (My cat thinks y'all are hilarious).
:lolling:

velkin

Well I guess this is it! Me and my pedal(woman) correctly bled the clutch today! I moved the ole gurl from the circle to my driveway. Thanks to whomadewho and vstar, I got under the truck and had gf pump the clutch and the slave cylinder did not move. I was perplexed. LOL :chuckle: so i had her pump the clutch 10 times and then i opened the plug until, repeat until it stopped spitting. about the third time she yelled it's getting harder! ( I've never heard her say that ) :biggrin: About that moment i could see the rod in the slave cylinder move back and forth. I haven't seen anything like that since my youngest was born :wtf2:
Attachments
celebration.jpg

velkin

whomadewho wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:04 am
you were correct sir, THANK YOU!

velkin

velkin wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:34 pm
I can put the truck in gear before starting. The clutch goes all the way to the floor. It has been sitting up for about 10 years.

Suggestions please.

whomadewho

Nice to hear the vehicle is back on the road again. Appreciate all of the updates you provided. Nice to hear the outcome, helps others dealing with the same situation. Great site. Comes with a FREE service manual. The only stupid question is the ones you don’t ask. Sometimes it’s good to know I am not the only individual getting frustrated working on vehicles. I don’t consider myself a total SEXIST. The advice I provided is mostly through observation and experience. Kind of like I own a color television so I don’t consider myself as a racist. Is the truck a grocery getter?

velkin

I may haul a lawnmower in the truck. For now the truck is a tribute to my Grandfather. He signed for this truck for me in 1989. The payment was $158 monthly. I have a list and I'll be asking more questions very soon. I have a small value cover leak, a/c doesn't work, need tires breaks, windshield wiper motor seems bad, 1 tail light 1 head light cracked. I may wash it today. All racist own black and white tv's LOL!

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”