88 pathfinder vg30i 4wd

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
timspeers

my 88 nissan pathfinder had the timing belt break while driving. i was told to put a new belt onon n try it, he said hed seen it work before even though its an interference motor. so i tried it lined up all the marks, 40 teeth between the cam marks and 43 between the left cam mark and the crank mark per the books suggestion. made sure no 1 was tdc and stabbed the distributer. nowit coughs like it wants to start but it pops and backfires out the intake some times with a flame. does this mean some valves are to bent? i really hope not i need a running vehicle. yes the gas is really old. next thing im gonna try is change the fuel filter and jump it while some one turns it over and i move the dist. back n forth. any further help or suggestions are much appreciated.

seang
Car: Ford Fiesta ST

Compression test might not be a bad thing if you think a valve might be bent.

scaramoche
Car: 1989 Nissan Pathfinder

unfortunatly I have seen the heads go when the timing belt breaks. Assuming that belt was installed correctly,(i would recheck to verify it didnt slip), then it's something with your heads.

:(
this occured to me, so i just pulled engine and rebuilt it as i had heads rebuilt.

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”