78 li'l hustler picture

1972-1979 Datsun 620 forums. All 620-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
lil_hustler_620

I know it gets laughs now, but imagine nice paint and shiny rims!

I drove her for the first time today. Peppy, but it got hot and blew the cap off the overflow... :( any ideas?

Thermostat maybe? my radiator is also super skinny is yurs like that?

I love the trucks nice deep tone! makes my tacoma sound whimpy :dude:

see ya

lancekilgore

Could be the theromstat but also could be a clogged radiator.  The thermostats onmly cost about 5.00$ and you can remove the radiator andtake it to a shop to have it checked.  what did the gauge do het hot stay in the middle what?  It could also be a bad radiator cap they only cost a few bucks.

My 78 is a long bed and the exhaust is quite, need to replace the muffler though.

Interesting I also own a tacoma (2002) I like driving the datsun as my primary driver though.

Lance

lil_hustler_620

Thanks again Lance. I picked up a thermostat today. I will try it first. I had to fill the radiator back up before starting and when it filled the overflow it was really dirty brown so a flushing will be in order as well. ;)  The temp gauge was fine for about 7/8 minutes while i was driving up and down my drive way then before i knew it the gauge was maxed so i cut it off immediately.

Thanks for the comment. I will let you all know when i get the thermostat in :dude:

lancekilgore

well if the temp maxed then it sounds like a head gasket to me.  but give it a try and I do reccomend changing the rad cap.  When I got mine in Jan 07 I had a lot of white smoke (head gasket).  but I could not afford the fix at the time and still can't but any way I installed the bars stop leak for alum and followed the instructions.  So for it is holding (Nock on wood).  And I drive about 65 mph back and forth from work and it is a 30 mile drive one way.  so far though I am preparing bought a head gasket set and a new timming chain kit.  plan to do the engine not just the head.

Good Luck

Lance

lil_hustler_620

Hey, Thank God! It was the thermostat. Who ever had this jewel before me decided not to use a gasket and gobbed it full of silicone ha ha Also I took the radiator off and flushed it.. Man, the stuff that came out would gag a magget on a gut wagon, included was one wet match stick lol :P

I was afraid to flush down under the thermostat because of taking a risk of cracking the block.

I'm sorry to hear about your head gasket problem. I hope it holds out till you get to rebuild that beast :D

lancekilgore

great news, at least you can run it now.  mine will hold.

Lance

lil_hustler_620

Just curious.. Are you going to go with a stock rebuild or do you have performance in mind?

lancekilgore

At this point in time I am staying with stock, fairly powerful engine,  I have been running her about 70 and that is fast for that truck, put in a tack last night becasue I though I was reving her to high, but 65 70 is only 3000 rpms.  know what the limit is on these engines?

right now the only thing I would do differently is put a five speed in it.  (would be nice).  gotta do the muffler i it though any suggestions other than stock if I can get one?

Return to “Datsun 620”