720 Carburetor Tutorial with Pictures

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
injo503
Car: 1984 720 z24 4x4

I have a 84 720 z24 with the hitachi carb and it's leaking gas from the accelerator pump. I replaced the pump and it is still leaking. It's leaking at the bottom of the rubber dust cover between it and the top plate. Maybe I'm missing a gasket or something? I could not see one in the pics I've seen.

Any suggestions?

ibjman
Car: 1986 720 King Cab Z24

why are all the photos in the diy carb post missing?? nothing happens when one clicks in the area that says: click for photos.
I can't make any sense of the post which seems to be 100% (missing) photos.

My question is: on my original Hitachi carb, the float level is showing at or just slightly below the view window.
Until someone says different, I'll guess that the level should be in the center of the window?
I would further guess that a skilled person could remove the front plate from the carb with it still mounted on the truck, make an adjustment and re-assemble the cover. Bad Idea?

I haven't torn into it yet but some american carbs (holly) have a provision for adjusting the float level from the outside.
any chance of that on this Hitachi?
Sorry for so many questions at one time, but I believe it is all on topic.
Regards & thanks, Ibjman
PS: all my emissions equipment is hooked up & operating correctly, all vacuum hoses connected & properly routed.
Engine appears to be misfiring right at the extreme top of the RPM range in second gear at wide open throttle.
As long as the throttle is held in wide open the engine can not quite generate enough rpms to trigger the 2-3 upshift.
I would like to finish getting the float level correct & see if this corrects it.

PPS: someone please tell these questioners that the "clicking noise" coming from the carb is the normal operation of the mixture control solenoid adjusting the fuel mixture as required in response to the Oxygen sensor in the exhaust. I believe this is called a "closed loop" system

ibjman
Car: 1986 720 King Cab Z24

Another question since I can't open the pictures in the carb tutorial:
I'm ready to move ahead with buying a carb kit.
It appears that the emissions decal on my 86 720 KingCab is long gone
Anyone know for sure how to identify if the truck is Cali. or Federal? Apparently the carb kit is specific to each.
Anyone know if the Hitachi carb has Identification numbers?
If so, where?

fastboatman29212
Car: left this forum. Sold my truck.

The thread was supposed to be saved to the archives.
Here is the carb rebuild on my website. Should help.
http://720nissantrucks.weebly.com/1986- ... build.html

Onad
Car: 1985 Nissan 720 king cab 4x4. 2.4L

First forum. Great tuorial. You don't realize how much you've helped me. THANK YOU!!!

Onad
Car: 1985 Nissan 720 king cab 4x4. 2.4L

First forum. Great tuorial. You don't realize how much you've helped me. THANK YOU!!!

Tc1991
Car: 1985 nissan 720 2.4 liter

I have a 85 nissan 720 2.4 liter and my carb choke pull off broke so I bought the part to replace it well I can't seem to figure out how to get arm hooked up to the new choke pull off any suggestions

CSpann
Car: 1984 Nissan 720 4x4
1990 Nissan D21 4x4

Is there a reason none of the posted pictures are showing up it just has a blue speedometer looking deal and says no 3rd party viewing but I'm registered

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Photobucket has yanked all 3rd party pic hosting unless you pay $400/year, it has affected millions of websites, the collective work of millions of people and they didn't care at all.

Look to the greedy pockets there...................Disney has a big stake in the company that now owns Photobucket.

Return to “Datsun 720”