620zx LSA Build (FULL and in depth)

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
620zx
Car: Supercharged 620zx

NolimitZ32 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:19 am
Seriously masterful work, many kudos to you sir!
:biggrin: Thanks!

620zx

DCaff300ZX wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:47 am
Looks like you are pretty close to having things nailed down, congrats!
LOVE the beefy sound, but as an "all under the hood" guy I wonder about that final detail given the fact things are above the hood line, and not symmetrical shapes.
Overall a VERY nice build!
Not sure what exactly you are getting at, but I have my OE hood being modified with a hood scoop. I will not be running around hoodless or having the lid sticking out of the hood. If that isn't what you meant then you lost me LOL

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

620zx wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:54 am
DCaff300ZX wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:47 am
Looks like you are pretty close to having things nailed down, congrats!
LOVE the beefy sound, but as an "all under the hood" guy I wonder about that final detail given the fact things are above the hood line, and not symmetrical shapes.
Overall a VERY nice build!
Not sure what exactly you are getting at, but I have my OE hood being modified with a hood scoop. I will not be running around hoodless or having the lid sticking out of the hood. If that isn't what you meant then you lost me LOL
My bad, I forgot you had the hood scoop for it.
No worries, love the work you've done!

620zx

Finally put together an intake. Next I'll focus on getting the hood cut. For the hood I'm going to have my body guy (S/O to Bobby!) who has done body / paint / custom work on ALL of my builds. I'm thinking about a ZL1 hood scoop, or something like a BMW M3 deal and tracspec hood vents over the longtubes. I will also need to cut out a portion for the intake, and then some kind of scoop over that as well. Stay tuned.

620zx

Obviously I needed a hood, so what I did was go ahead and hack up the OEM hood with ***INTENTIONS OF ADDING A SCOOP AND HUMP SO EVERYTHING STAYS UNDER THE HOOD*** I will, if all goes well, will be heading to the dyno this week and did not want to drive hoodless. It is the holidays but I will try to see if my body guy can find some time to work his magic. I also got a message from a LSX Magazine editor asking to do a piece on the 620zx! So getting the body in order is a priority. But I digress, check out the install:

My goal was to add heat extractors, or hood vents, to suck some of the heat away from the blower at speed. So with the help of my lovely wife, I was able to measure and mark the hood pretty well. Without v-mounting, or changing the rad, or cutting the snout blah blah it was nothing to easily route the intake over the rad and just cut the hood and add a hump so its covered. So please. Save your input lol here is a pic of the limited space before we move on...

Test fit to check space and mark/tape areas I'd be cutting

Now that the hood was marked top side, I went ahead and popped off the tabs with a flathead to remove the insulation. I immediately saw where to put the vents, and outlined the vents with a sharpie, then half inch inside of that outline is where I cut so the vent can be mounted via 3M tape and I'll underside bracing later.

Now some to remove the unnecessary tape as I prep to cut the top. Vents are sitting in there freely just to make sure the cuts were good.

First cut was close, but needed a bit more tripping around the supercharger lid, and the intake area going into the TB. Also, the supercharger cooling hoses needed some space.

Made some adjustments for final cut

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

I'm in awe man, great job!

620zx

NolimitZ32 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:41 am
Thanks! :cool:

DCaff300ZX
1993 CRP TT- Modified

620zx wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:53 pm
NolimitZ32 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:41 am
Thanks! :cool:
Nice!
I've been checking back often to see your progress since you are obviously so active with your project, I'm impressed with your vision and skills with creation of that.

620zx

Something quick but necessary in my opinion. The plastics from under the engine bay (undertrays, splash shields, whatever they're called) were old, beat, and hanging by a thread. I don't even think the front under tray would fit since I switched to a JDM spec front bumper. So I picked up a Infamouz Custom Designz splash shield with the IC covers locally that were new and unused. I know as far as cooling they help route the air over the radiator better, and at highway speeds they make a discernible difference with aero as well (without getting technical), and importantly protect the low hanging rad hose, oil cooler, heat exchanger, oil filter, and supercharger coolant pump and helps to keep the engine bay cleaner (I know from experience the before/after with my old GTO and Genesis). Due to the LS swap, it doesn't protect the pan LOL but the car doesn't sit low enough for bumps etc to be an issue.

I'm fairly certain the center portion was supposed to sit on top of the lip of the front bumper, but I spent too much time fighting to line the center bolt up. Shouldn't be an issue.

Pan uncovered, but the Kooks longtubes sit a bit lower than the pan, and my car isn't slammed - I can get up/down my driveway much faster/smoother than any other lowered vehicle I've had.
Man, the Kooks longtubes and 3" stainless steel exhaust is a beaut

620zx

Waiting to register my car before I can get to a dyno, track, street races, meets etc and start posting more "fruit of my labor" stuff. Hope everyone is enjoying the thread, otherwise. PLEASE feel free to ask questions, criticize, complain, etc etc... ANYWAY...

I got around to FINALLY doing a fuse box relocation. I will be hiding wires around and along the engine/firewall, then cleaning everything up and I'll post an updated photo

I thought about different places to place the fusebox, but the usual behind the bumper spot is really the only feasible option. For anyone attempting this, just keep in mind these cars are damn near 30 years old (mine is a 1990), so be careful as the plastics and such are brittle.

Under tray removed

Starting to unclip everything

Frame removed

Not much room to snake the things through

Got everything through, now to put it back together. (The only wires I had to extend are the ABS, since I am not using PS or the OE engine harness.

I used a bracket off the car to mount the fuse box to the frame. Easy peezy.

Again, time to clean and tuck some more wires, but, the fuse box relocation alone makes for a much cleaner engine bay

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

Nice, looking really really good. Why not also remove that second clutch bleed line too?

620zx

itsa300zx wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:38 pm
Nice, looking really really good. Why not also remove that second clutch bleed line too?
I stated a few times that I'm not done with the engine bay, but this was the only post-worthy change since it was the fuse box.

itsa300zx
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

Lol, yes reading comprehension owns me, I must have skimmed over that part. Are you still planning to ship me your OEM shifter? No rush.

DCaff300ZX
1993 CRP TT- Modified

620zx wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:37 am
itsa300zx wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:38 pm
I stated a few times that I'm not done with the engine bay, but this was the only post-worthy change since it was the fuse box.
Definitely an improvement with the fuse box relocate...WELL done.
I appreciate your detailed pictures as I was also wanting to do this a few years back but after a feeble beginning I stopped. But your work and excellent pictures now has given me the answers I needed (I'm a visual learner) as to how to best go about it all.
Definitely enjoying your work and results so far!

620zx

itsa300zx wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:10 am
Lol, yes reading comprehension owns me, I must have skimmed over that part. Are you still planning to ship me your OEM shifter? No rush.
It is boxed up and sitting next to my garage door. I'll get to it eventually, but between slipping my mind and the holidays its been tough lol

620zx

Definitely an improvement with the fuse box relocate...WELL done.
I appreciate your detailed pictures as I was also wanting to do this a few years back but after a feeble beginning I stopped. But your work and excellent pictures now has given me the answers I needed (I'm a visual learner) as to how to best go about it all.
Definitely enjoying your work and results so far!
Night and day difference now that I scrubbed some of the dirt out of the bay so it looks REALLY good - I can't wait to delete the clutch line and shave some stuff and tuck wires. I'll probably get to it tonight after the NFL game. This is by far my favorite platform so I'm glad others are enjoying everything as well.

620zx

After a ridiculous experience with a local tuner (full story on my IG: @LS3_LaFlare, it is complicated to explain and the pics and videos help), I finally was able to have Rhett (tuned my NA LS3 Genesis) send me base tune, data log and send it back, then he revised etc etc.. so now the car is running and driving. Dyno is this Friday! I've put ~400 miles on the car making sure everything is good and had a small hiccup but all is well now. Heres what happened:

I saw smoke billowing out of the wheel well area, and out of the vent on the driver side. Drove a bit more to a parking lot and saw the oil leaking! Initially I thought it was smoke from the clutch because I SMELLED it while driving, and while at a light I SAW it.

I was only about 5min from the house, but rather than risk a fire, or the slow leak turn to a faucet and lose oil pressure, I called a tow.

Under initial inspection I assumed the leak had to be around the circled areas.

Removal and install was a breeze! Unbolted header from the cylinder head, removed 2 bolts off of the midpipe (one oil line fitting didn't have enough space to take on / put on), spark plug wires, and while I was down there I adjusted the rack so during sharp turns the linkage didn't tap the longtubes.

It turned out that one of the oil lines on the inside of the hose where it meets the fitting was mangled on install. The little time it held, it developed into a slow leak! So easy enough, I took the other line to be pressure tested (held 110psi, will see 75psi tops), and replaced the damaged hose and reused the 10 AN fittings. I reused the heat sleeves and DEI heat wrap.

620zx

Also - NEW VIDEO UP ON MY YOUTUBE - OVERVIEW STARTUP / IDLE / CRUISE / WOT / POPS & BANGS / TIME LAPSE INSTALL check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKIcC35HPI4

I still need tires, some body stuff like diffuser, spoiler, paint blah blah... but DYNO IN TWO DAYS and I'll be sure to post!

DCaff300ZX
1993 CRP TT- Modified

Pure ear p0rn right there...that V8 sound in your vid made my pants tight for sure.
Keep after it! :dblthumb:

620zx

DCaff300ZX wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:12 am
Pure ear p0rn right there...that V8 sound in your vid made my pants tight for sure.
Keep after it! :dblthumb:
:spitout:

Appreciate it! Tomorrow is dyno day and I cannot wait to get some good exhaust vids with it on the rollers! Be on the lookout!

620zx

I need to upgrade to two 10" higher CFM paddle fans from SPAL, instead of the less powerful S blade fans I have from SPAL. They work since temps are in the 40*F-60*F range for this PHX winter, but while I wait on the new fans to be delivered, I hit up my guy Bobby to modify the stock nose panel for more flow at speed/idle to help bandaid the current fans. He knocked this out last minute and in less than an hour, since I REALLY wanted to get them on for the dyno since it'll be warmer than usual at 65*F tomorrow. I love it!

620zx

DYNO DAY
CHECK OUT THE VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZtRharh9GE

Basic overview:
-6.2 liter V8 LS3 engine (10.7:1 CR)
-1.9 liter LSA supercharger (stock pulleys *6lbs of boost*)
-ZL1 lid
-LS9 camshaft
-1pc steel driveshaft
-stock axles / 4.10 NA diff.

6* of timing for safety with 91 octane gas. My tuner, Rhett, urged me to switch to e54 fuel to pick up a lot more power! After tuning, we removed my intake and gained 1lb of boost and about 30 horses, so my intake is a choke point. Some things to clean up! Look at the torque curve - the car hauls a**! I may omit the flex fuel and instead fix the intake and call it a day, any more power and I think I may push the FX400 clutch to it limits.

itsa300zx
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

Wow, must be nice to toss around on the road. Love that instant torque all across the rpm range. Congrats on the hard work!

DCaff300ZX
1993 CRP TT- Modified

itsa300zx wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:10 am
Wow, must be nice to toss around on the road. Love that instant torque all across the rpm range. Congrats on the hard work!
Definitely nice numbers, that torque really makes the difference versus a more HP-dominant setup with our heavier cars. I also think you're right to fix the intake and call it a day- 500+ HP with matching torque is PLENTY for the street.
Congrats!

620zx

DCaff300ZX wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:01 am
itsa300zx wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:10 am

Definitely nice numbers, that torque really makes the difference versus a more HP-dominant setup with our heavier cars. I also think you're right to fix the intake and call it a day- 500+ HP with matching torque is PLENTY for the street, and getting a more meaty tire setup (255's up front and 275 rears) would also help.
Congrats!
I'll be going with 305 in the rear - 305/35/18, and already have the ride height and fender flares matched up for it. Going to swap out to the TT diff for the better gearing (I cruise the highway a lot and sitting at 3k rpms bothers me) eventually, but for now it'll be a test of how well everything holds up with the power and the NA stuff. The torque is ridiculous, I love it... it pulls like mad the moment you touch the gas pedal. Of all my builds this is the lightest one, and will probably land in the 3100lb range (I used to think 2900lb range but realized the brakes, wheels, and blower all added considerable heft).

DCaff300ZX
1993 CRP TT- Modified

620zx wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:39 pm
DCaff300ZX wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:01 am

Definitely nice numbers, that torque really makes the difference versus a more HP-dominant setup with our heavier cars. I also think you're right to fix the intake and call it a day- 500+ HP with matching torque is PLENTY for the street, and getting a more meaty tire setup (255's up front and 275 rears) would also help.
Congrats!
I'll be going with 305 in the rear - 305/35/18, and already have the ride height and fender flares matched up for it. Going to swap out to the TT diff for the better gearing (I cruise the highway a lot and sitting at 3k rpms bothers me) eventually, but for now it'll be a test of how well everything holds up with the power and the NA stuff. The torque is ridiculous, I love it... it pulls like mad the moment you touch the gas pedal. Of all my builds this is the lightest one, and will probably land in the 3100lb range (I used to think 2900lb range but realized the brakes, wheels, and blower all added considerable heft).
Gotcha...I rewatched your vid after posting and noticed you did have wide rear tires and maybe 275's+ already, and edited my post, so I see you are already on that one with 305's, nice!

620zx

DCaff300ZX wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:20 pm

Gotcha...I rewatched your vid after posting and noticed you did have wide rear tires and maybe 275's+ already, and edited my post, so I see you are already on that one with 305's, nice!
255s stretched on a 10.5, but I bought them like that. As expected, they don't hook at all! I'll get some real tires soon, 305 at a minimum.

620zx

My experiences *UPDATE*

I've put about 500 or so miles on the car so far since I finished the swap, so I just want to kind've ramble on my experiences with the car - what's worked, what hasn't, issues, complaints, etc.. pardon any grammatical errors, or flow issues. Like I said, I'm just rambling.

Feel free to give any feedback, add the discussion!

Cooling

I'll start with cooling. I like my supercharged engines to run around 185-195 TOPS, I also have an oil cooler, so I'd imagine everything runs a smidge cooler than *normal* (some will say an engine needs to be a set temp, factory/engineers set it a certain way for a reason blah blah: my engine is not stock, far from it, and cooler temps add to a cooler supercharger), but I run a catch can and change my oil very often (every other month, maybe every 1000-2000 miles of dusty PHX driving / racing) since I am very hard on my engines with WOT since I street race a lot, and will soon start HPDE. So I don't see and issue with that. BUT, due to the 4.10 gearing, cruising along the highway at 2500-3000RPMS puts the coolant temps at 205ish at 65*F ambient temps, so my concern was 115-120*F day in PHX summer would definitely tax the cooling system. So what I did is looked at my SPALs - they originally were pullers, both flowing 844 CFM each, BUT I reversed the polarity on them to work as pushers but realize that due to the S blade shape of the fans, they were probably flowing half of that (I could not flip the blades due to the design of the SPAL)! So I yanked them and ordered a 13" SPAL pusher that flow 1,682 CFM which should be more than enough, and not block the airflow at speed. I'll also add that I use 7 quarts of 5w50 Schaeffers racing oil, great additive package, and held up to PHX summer, even racing in 110* heat for short sprints down the midnight hwy. I found that the 0w40 M1 I used would loose a considerable amount of viscosity as pressure would drop at hot idle, especially after WOT, and with 15w50 M1 (mobil 1 recommends this in LS engines during track events), it also thinned a small amount, but 5w50 had a much higher High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity of 5.08, and I never noticed any change in pressure! This is why Schaffers 5w50 9001 racing oil is all I use.

Driving

Driving. I'll break this down from driving/cruising/WOT/experiences. This is a 200,000+ mile vehicle, so it is far from perfect, but was stock its entire life so I didn't have to worry about damage from accidents, or janky installs, or it being ripped apart going back to stock, BUT from shocks to diff to trans etc it all looked to be original (and drove like it, with a constant squeal from brake wear indication, which shows the vehicle didn't get much love). First thing I bought was Tein Flex Z coilovers, 6 piston brembos front (CTSV), 4 piston brembos rear (SRT8), pretty much everything else was stock. All of my swaps have been lowered considerably, with barely room for a finger between fender/tire, but this one I kept about 1-1/2 fingers, or about an inch, from tire to fender (no adjustment from Teins' stock configuration) and it is butter smooth, even hopping the 'lip' coming up my driveway. No scrapes, no bumps, no jostling inside the car, AND it still looks lowered!
I do get an ABS light every blue moon, so maybe that is why the brakes feel mushy and I need to bleed the module (initial push is mushy, but braking still progressive as I push down, with 75-100% being the fly through the windshield territory) compared to my other cars, but if I mash the brakes it will put you out the windshield! The car stops on a dime, zero fade, and looks amazing with the BBK peeking back at you through the wheel spokes! I need to check the wheel speed sensors, and possibly try bleeding the ABS itself to try and get rid of the annoying light. I never ran the master dry, and I bleed each brake a ton to completely replace the old DOT3 with fresh DOT4.
From about 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock, the steering was a 'deadzone' where little to no steering input would turn the wheels, and I thought maybe the rack was shot or something (did this on test drive home, and with deleted PS) since it is open, no fluid, nothing (did this on all my swaps without issue). I realized the OEM bushings were covered in dirty/oil/PS/ and hanging loose, or non-existent on the driverside! So I ordered the poly bushings and that will be here later this week - the rack was moving left/right as the old bushings did not hold it in place.
Driving around my city, or to others, I ALWAYS catch at least two people recording, and even more breaking their necks from the exhaust note, or seeing the supercharger out of the hood. Some notice the front brembos, others the 'LSA' badging on the rear, or maybe (like myself before buying) never seen this car before.... or maybe my car is clapped and ugly LMAO. I always get nods, daps, or even people coming over to talk to me about it at gas stations, red lights, etc., and that really is when all the blood, sweat, frustrations, dollars, etc., all pay off. The pride in building this car myself and people admiring it is something I could get high on!
Hearing the car in person was a deafening experience! And no matter how far away from the car I stood, if I was in line with the angle of the exhaust exits, a strong steady stream of exhaust gas was enough to make me grimace and look away as I had to sit still to record! The sound was D E A F E N I N G, so much so that I feel bad for anyone I raced, or will race, or did a flyby for (for the folks recording me on the highway). I am considering putting the 3" magna flow mufflers on to quiet it down, since cold starts are brutal, but once the idle RPMs setting to the normal 650 range, it quiets down. If you've never been in/around a modified V8, then I'll try and explain... you feel the car in your chest, and if in a garage, the house shakes, and if houses are tightly packed down the street, the sound bounces around and echos throughout - all on cold start.
Racing or spirited driving (clutch had about 400 miles before I started this - I tried not to go too crazy to give my clutch the BEST break-in possible), my 255s on the rear weren't much by way of traction, but when I could get it to hook (higher gear at lower speed, like 3rd), it was a freight train and pulled like mad. Easily the fastest car I've had, despite making more power in my Genesis and GTO (both were heavier, especially the 3,800+lbs GTO), and of course the 4.10s help, but I want to switch to the TT diff since highway cruise will be much better, and I have PLENTY of low end torque to make up for it. I shoot out like a bullet with the few 5.0s, Civic Type R etc., i've ran (I know, but they tried me first LMAO). I cannot wait to have some fun. I want to note that I did not experience any wheel hope whatsoever, but I will come back once I have real tires on and can hook a lot better.
The clutch I am using is the 350z FX400 from Clutch Masters, as well as the 18lb aluminum flywheel from LOJ. This combination is CONSIDERABLY lighter than the 28lbs flywheel and stage 3 clutch from Monster in my GTO... the clutch FX400 clutch was MUCH lighter than the monster stage 3, with both the LW FW and FX400 being considerable smaller in size as well. I have ZERO chatter, clutch pedal is LIGHT, and driving it in rush hour or highway it feels GREAT. I can nitpick and say that coming out of first it is real grabby, but with time I'll master it, it is not a big deal at all.
Lastly, this is the first car I've had with T-Tops, and BOY... the experience is amazing. The cockpit feel is amazing. Visibility out of the car is great, little drone considering RPMS are high while cruising.. By far my favorite platform.

Issues

-Like I said before, the ABS light likes to play hide and seek, but I suspect it may be an easy fix.
-The driverside window goes up if my knee touches the door LMAO and I've peeked inside and there is a spark everytime it happens. One of these days I will pull it apart and check/fix/repair the exposed wire.
-Seats are flat, driverside has a tear - replacing the seats is a priority.
-Driverside longtubes touch the frame slightly, I suspect I need to adjust the engine mounts - never noticed til I fixed the oil line issue
-Z1 short shifter is great, but it took the BUTTER smooth shifting that I fell in love with on the drive home after purchase, and made it *notchy*, not T56 notchy, but notchy enough to notice.
-reverse lights don't work, I'm sure it is a wiring issue with the trans. I'll look at it eventually.
-I still need to center my HX, it bothers the hell out of me!
-front bumper/flares needs a repaint, doesn't bother me much, but every other photo I take it is noticeable

itsa300zx
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

Would you like to try an OEM modified shifter? I can make it to what ever reduction you want, if any. I have a core coming in this week, let me know if you are interested and I’ll hold this one for you.

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

From all your description I really want to ride in this thing to see what the SCV8 feels like. The 4.09 gears are hilarious with any amount of TQ applied, when the discos spool on mine in 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd, there is side step. Great job again man!

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”