Thanks Dr. D. That worked.
The springs were rusted solid and effectively dead, and It was difficult to get them out. Using the old ones I cound match up the new springs. But I would highly recommend, just buying replacement arms from J.C. Whitney, to anyone else in this similar situation. A spring with enough force to do the job, is stiff and needs to pulled with needle nose plyers, while attempting to engage the spring hook through a tiny hole in the bracket tab. I ended up stretching out the spring, by holding one end in a wise and the other with vice grips. I put thin folded wedges from a cut up margerine container into each open loop; paying attention to the orientation of the spring ends with respect to the arm assembly. I kept stuffing those held open loops until the spring was long enough that I could concentrate just on looping the spring-end through the small hole in the tab . Once attached, I pulled out each of those plastic wedges and the spring became fully effective. Now I can see where I'm going in Portland, and that's a good thing:-)