4x4 conversion

1972-1979 Datsun 620 forums. All 620-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
4X4 Datsun

Looking for anyone else out there that has the 4x4 conversion.  Also looking for more idea's on modifying.  Currently we use our 1976 Datsun for 4 wheeling and the bump stops that they put in really make for a stiff & hard ride.  Also looking for anyone that has put a 6 cylinder in.  I know it can be done, I have seen them.  Never got a chance to talk to anyone that has done it first hand. 

lilrig

Great site. It's nice to know others enjoy their 620.

I have a 76 with a GM V6(231) with a 3/4t truck tranny. It's great!. I also have a set of Jeep axles and transfercase. I love the conversion. It was my first truch when I was 16 and have done everything myself. I also had to rewire the entire truck because the engine was completely different. I have 33 inch tires and I get at least 20mpg with more power than I need. If you have any questions about what I did, just send me an email.

lilrig

Great site. It's nice to know others enjoy their 620.

I have a 76 with a GM V6(231) with a 3/4t truck tranny. It's great!. I also have a set of Jeep axles and transfercase. I love the conversion. It was my first truch when I was 16 and have done everything myself. I also had to rewire the entire truck because the engine was completely different. I have 33 inch tires and I get at least 20mpg with more power than I need. If you have any questions about what I did, just send me an email.

lil_hustler_620

That sounds like an awesome conversion!! I wonder what the mpg would be like with 14" skinnys

Was the wireing hard?

lilrig

The wiring wasn't too bad. On the V6, the only wires are the 1 on the alternator and the battery and Tach on the distributer. I also installed a complete set of VDO gauges because I wanted better gauges. I also switched from fuses to thermal circuit breakers so I would have to worry about fuses all the time. To hold the gauges, I made an aluminum insert into the dash. It worked really good, but it still needs some trimming.

I don't know if the gas milage would be any better with smaller tires because the engine was just over an idle at 55mph. I have 3.73 axles and 33X12.5R15" BFG Mud terrain tires. It doesn't ware the tires at all because the truck is so light.

I have parked the truck for the last few years. My son is 13 qnd I think next year we are going to start rebuilding it and fixing a couple of things. He wants it to be his truch when he turns 16. At least it'll be safe. It also has very heavy duty pipe bumpers.  

Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Thanks,

Dave

Return to “Datsun 620”