4x Drain & Fill, Final Fill, Dropping Pan in less than 2 months!

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

So I finally completed my final fill. The first 3 drain and fills were flushing and cleaning my system with the NS-2 fluid. Since this will be my final fill, I decided to replace the filter or actually the strainer this time. Yeah, I know, OCD and anal retentive that I am. :bang

But guess what, bummer since I received the wrong part. Yes, dumb me did not remember what it looked like when I dropped the pan a few weeks ago. It was dark. So I trusted the web site by entering my vin# and I guess I made a mistake and got the wrong part. So my vehicle was up for a week waiting for the strainer.

I am following how the Honda Technicians service their cvt’s. They usually do a 4x drain and fill. They might drive it around between fills but I read they increase the rpm’s while hoisted and changing the gears.

For myself, as I drove during these weeks, I always made sure I went through all my gears slowly whenever I can to replace all the old fluid in my torque converter etc.

Since I get over 50% transmission fluid drained each time, after completing the final 4th drain and fill, I will have nearly 90% new fluid inside my system.

Anything after, the laws of diminishing returns occurs and I will be wasting more fluid than increasing benefits.

So while waiting for my strainer, I decided to primer and paint my drain pan.

It was clean from dumping the pan a few weeks ago, so it was still quite clean.

Anyways, while cleaning it, I saw this bump inside the pan thinking it was leftover magnetic material or what not, so I scraped it off with my fingernail and peeled a pen-prick sized bit of the powder coated paint.

Getting paranoid that it would continue to peel off, which would probably not. I mean I seen pan out there worse off, but NOOOOOOO, my dumb anal butt HAD to buy another pan. BECAUSE I know just one speck of paint will cause my ORIGINAL CVT transmission to fail with my dumb luck. So I bought a new OEM online and had my vehicle up for another week. :ohsnap

So yes, I been draining transmission fluid for nearly 2 weeks, and yes it kept dripping for that long. So it was really dry except for the fluid stuck inside the rest of engine.

I think it would be smarter to let this cvt fail so I can get a new one. THEN maybe maintain it like hell.

But what if this is one of the CVT that were the magic 180k version. With proper malignance, maybe I can make it last like 250k no problem?

So heck with it, lets try to keep this thing going I guess…is the BEST.

Anyways, its runs like new, because before any new cvt fluid was introduced, it jerked and hesitated like crap. Seriously, CVT fluid should be changed more often than motor oil at least for the Rogue.

Oh yeah, while waiting for the Pan, I decided to change my Amsoil which was between 13,000-15,000 miles and a fram ultra oil filter which was on for only a few weeks.

So a new filter and Amsoil 0w-30 was used. I probably leave this on closer to 25,000 this time around and do a 2nd filter midway.

This represents over 15 QTs of new fluid that has been replaced within the last 2 months.
It's like ST. Patrick's day in here!

Leave a few bolts facing toward the front end so you can drain on the other end.
Still clean from my last drain.
With my old strainer.
While my Rogue was on ramps, I decided to change my 13,000 mile motor oil
CVT fluid on the left while amsoil on the right.
Painted my old pan but never used. Kept it and old bolts for backup.
Primer.
With heat resistant paint. Didn't like the powder feel.
New and old.
You can see specks of metal in there.
You can probably clean with brake fluid to save a few bucks.
New one lacks the accordion-like louver plate of metal behind mesh screen on this one.
Possible benefit that it flows better.
Chrisfix gave me the idea to re-torque all these bolts, only 1 was out of spec.
Re-torque all the bolts in this project at 70 inch pounds.
Where I took old strainer out.
My new pan.
Bought new Bolts while waiting.
With my old bolts.
Easily snaps in. Make sure to apply ns-2 fluid to new gasket.
New strainer in! :bigthumb:
My second new gasket in these few weeks.
Ready to attach my gasket to the pan.
Bingo!
Ready to attach new bolts. Don't do what I did and forget the magnets 7 bolts in! Arghh. :rolleyes: Re-do time!
Next day, new pan, no leaks! :laugh:
My oil filter set-up with 2 magnets. Magnetic drain plug too.
Magnet on the end too! :wavey: :naughty:

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Nice job casper!

That fluid coming out of the trans looks really good, very green.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

If truly doing a 4X change then the last change for sure and likely the 3rd as well can be saved to use that oil over. I would save the 4th one for old car or getting issues in it and the 3rd drain for a 1st refill at a later change since you are changing it pretty quick. I used the last drain for a final fill several times when doing two cars at once and one was an older car, the slightly used fluid worked as well as brand new did.

I also saved pretty good condition used trans fluid for chainsaw bar oil and it goes into an oil can for small lube work too along with another for used motor oil.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Boii, I am a Honda fan boy, and let me tell you this... Honda's transmissions do a 3x D&F not 4x. Not sure where you got the 4x part, as 3x with driving in between is logical, but consequtive 3x-4x D&F equals a complete flush.

And how many liters/gallons is that entire job took?

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

1X = 50% new fluid
2X = 75% new
3X = 87.5% new and many stop there as more is wasteful vs. the end result but if one wants to do 4X that would be their choice. I do 3X myself. 4X = about 94% and not much difference.

casperfun

datechboss101 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:38 am
Boii, I am a Honda fan boy, and let me tell you this... Honda's transmissions do a 3x D&F not 4x. Not sure where you got the 4x part, as 3x with driving in between is logical, but consequtive 3x-4x D&F equals a complete flush.

And how many liters/gallons is that entire job took?
I say approximately 22 quarts.

for example, normal draining is 5 quarts,

...dropping pan is around 5 1/2 quarts

... dropping pan with strainer is 6 quarts if not a tad more.

casperfun

amc49 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:18 pm

I also saved pretty good condition used trans fluid for chainsaw bar oil and it goes into an oil can for small lube work too along with another for used motor oil.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
great anti-rust treatment too.

casperfun

datechboss101 wrote:

Thank god for the Honda Forums which helped me get rid of the rumble strip sensation between 30-40mph.

Since I needed a reason on how many times I should drain and flush my transmission, I also went to the Honda Forums to get a definitive answer, at least for ME, to give a decent reason to stop. If it said to do it twice fine, or 6 times; so be it.

I just wanted a reason on when I should stop that's all.

So I went by this site.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/14-period ... -fill.html

Some poster said in the manual it told them to do it 3x's and a final fill.

Boom, good enough answer for me and no need to over think it anymore. This way it frees me from overanalyzing. Goal set. Less pressure.

Because when I was overanalyzing during my research online.

There was so many variables, and people coming up with so many numbers, on dilution of old fluid, number of quarts being drained being different in every vehicle. That a car draining 3 quarts would need more drain and fills than one draining over 5 quarts.

People even had spreadsheets on perfect drain and fill percentages. So I had a headache, and just wanted guidance, and this Honda forum seemed right for me during that moment.

Anyways, I am glad it is all over. Seems like long ago but just a couple months ago.

The vehicle is doing great. No more jerky hesitant acceleration.

Before it really had this disconnected feeling with the pedal during acceleration.

Now it has a nice solid connection with smooth acceleration from a stand still. It is a big difference to me. To tell you the truth, it feels awkward because I always expect to get that 1 millisecond delay jerk before moving since I thought it was normal. I was so use to the crappy drive that I thought it was normal.

Thank god I found the cure for the rumble strips sensation, which lead to the original smooth acceleration of like when it was new. :mike

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

casperfun wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:51 pm
datechboss101 wrote:

Thank god for the Honda Forums which helped me get rid of the rumble strip sensation between 30-40mph.

Since I needed a reason on how many times I should drain and flush my transmission, I also went to the Honda Forums to get a definitive answer, at least for ME, to give a decent reason to stop. If it said to do it twice fine, or 6 times; so be it.

I just wanted a reason on when I should stop that's all.

So I went by this site.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/14-period ... -fill.html

Some poster said in the manual it told them to do it 3x's and a final fill.

Boom, good enough answer for me and no need to over think it anymore. This way it frees me from overanalyzing. Goal set. Less pressure.

Because when I was overanalyzing during my research online.

There was so many variables, and people coming up with so many numbers, on dilution of old fluid, number of quarts being drained being different in every vehicle. That a car draining 3 quarts would need more drain and fills than one draining over 5 quarts.

People even had spreadsheets on perfect drain and fill percentages. So I had a headache, and just wanted guidance, and this Honda forum seemed right for me during that moment.

Anyways, I am glad it is all over. Seems like long ago but just a couple months ago.

The vehicle is doing great. No more jerky hesitant acceleration.

Before it really had this disconnected feeling with the pedal during acceleration.

Now it has a nice solid connection with smooth acceleration from a stand still. It is a big difference to me. To tell you the truth, it feels awkward because I always expect to get that 1 millisecond delay jerk before moving since I thought it was normal. I was so use to the crappy drive that I thought it was normal.

Thank god I found the cure for the rumble strips sensation, which lead to the original smooth acceleration of like when it was new. :mike
Okay, Odyclub is a reputable forum, but they use a traditional automatic. I was surprised that you didn't asked the CRV guys, as you would have gotten a better answer as they use CVT, but the 3x with fill-in last time, is the best solution for any tranny. I'm glad it resolved your problem, but if you get the same symptoms, just keep on doing the 3x D&F... For each D&F the amount of fluid removed decreases by half (I think, just not sure with the actual percentage); also, did you replace the filter each time you did the D&F?

casperfun

Well the rumble strip sensation is gone with the addition of no more jerky acceleration as a nice benefit. So I will not have crappy cvt fluid anymore residing too long. Even though this is supposedly lifetime fluid, I still have 12qt case to keep everything in perfect harmony.

I thought about changing the tiny filter inside the cooler/warmer exchange if I ever was to start a project on adding a transmission cooler, but I don't feel like getting down and dirty for awhile. Plus, I don't tow heavy stuff or drive on hills. My engine is pretty cool these days running 183-192 degrees for coolant temp.

So no I never change the filter.

But of course I did change the strainer ONCE and for all. So I will never need to drop my pan. The strainer will be it's last until the vehicle dies.

I am just doing drain and fills from now on when I feel its needed. Maybe 30-40k from now when I am bored.

My new pan is so perfect and snugged. Torque to spec that I am so happy I don't have to do that again. Did it twice actually.

No more dropping pans unless damaged. I still got my original back-up painted one.

Feel really good about the outcome of everything I did. First was nice practice, 2nd was close to perfect until I forgot the magnets. LOL.

So I am not worried about anything but except the for some new axles or shocks. Which is why I drive like grandma over dips and speed ramps.

I am no changing any oil for a long time.

Did differential, transfer, motor oil, transmission oil.

And I am keeping motor oil for 20,000 - 25k miles.

Changing oil ( transfer & motor) 5 times in less than 2 months, I really got my fill in that arena.

Smelling roses now!

whizkidtn
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL (AWD), Premium package

I had the dealership do the CVT fluid service at ~35K miles and also replaced the two differential (AWD) fluids with M1 75W-90. I plan on having them do this for the CVT fluid every 30K miles or so. Cheap insurance.

I do my engine OCI every 4.5K miles.

Maximus099
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

May I ask how much they charged you for this. thanks

whizkidtn
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL (AWD), Premium package

Maximus099 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:39 pm
May I ask how much they charged you for this. thanks
If memory serves, it was something like $150 (I purchased and brought them the M1 75W-90 gear lube for the two diffs to change).

Maximus099
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

ok thanks I'll look into this.

Return to “Rogue Forum”