4WAS & Traction Control Light (FIXED: Motor)

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 and Q70 owners.
dinger1983
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:56 am
Car: Infiniti M30ds

4WAS & Traction Control Light (FIXED: Motor)

Postby dinger1983 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:44 am

Okay, so I have an m30ds that has been parked up since December. I've recently put it back on road after a few repairs.
The 4was traction control light are now intermittently coming on and off with all other missing functions associated with the fault. This is not a new fault it did happen once or twice before being parked up.

I have read a lot of threads on this, but not really seeing a definite answer other than a complete rear rack swap. I've started trying trace the fault myself and I'm hoping for some help and comparisons with people.

So first question:

Can anyone with the same intermittent fault lights going off then come back after short drive please check their battery voltages for me? I'm currently getting some strange readings. I'm looking to determine if the battery voltage is causing the 4was problem, or if the 4was is causing the battery voltage problem.

Before start 12.8v
Car running no lights 14.2v
Car running lights on 11.3v and 29.4v

If it was any normal car with no warning light I'd say bad charge alternator, and it may still be just interested to see if anyone battery voltage is different when lights are on.
Last edited by Rogue One on Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Aolson345
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:27 pm
Car: 2011 M37S Blk Out

Re: 4was and traction control light

Postby Aolson345 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:25 pm

Absolutely has nothing to do with battery trust me. I have brand new battery and same issue with 4was occurs. It is not the 4was module it is not the 4was relay.

Cause of the problem is the rear rack.

dinger1983
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:56 am
Car: Infiniti M30ds

Re: 4was and traction control light

Postby dinger1983 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:21 am

ye bit more investagation last night shows im only getting movement on the rear left when steering
right side aint moving

dinger1983
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:56 am
Car: Infiniti M30ds

Re: 4was and traction control light

Postby dinger1983 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:33 am

also going to visit a scrap yard see if i can pull an electric motor off a honda civic with an electric steering rack if my memorys right they might be the same motor see if i can replace the components on the rack

dinger1983
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:56 am
Car: Infiniti M30ds

Re: 4was and traction control light

Postby dinger1983 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:45 am

realy struggling to understand why a very basic set up of position sensors and a electric motor on a worm gear to a rack and pinion can cause the hicas system to fail and im even more confused about the cost of a new rack
with acception of dimentions the nissan skyline r 33 and r34 , nissan 300zx all have similar hicas rack that can be bought on ebay from £30 to £300 average £100
https://youtu.be/4Iq5_j7kWzc

dinger1983
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:56 am
Car: Infiniti M30ds

Re: 4was and traction control light

Postby dinger1983 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:12 am

ok so not able to pull the hicas motor for a few days need the car driving.
but iv had a though on the 4was problem has anyone had the motor off there rack. there is only 2 electrical components on the rack the motor being one of then and after thinking about it the intermitant problem is very similar to when my impact gun started faulting then packed all together with worn brushes so i plan on stripping the motor and checking brushes updates to follow

Frog
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:59 pm
Car: 2011 M56s

Re: 4was and traction control light

Postby Frog » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:05 am

There’s a reason this system only stayed on the m for 2 years it’s sucks. My light came on then went away this would be the 3 rd rear steering replacement. I am at 117k. But took to dealer they said it’s ok. So I am trading it off b4 it’s worth 4K less

dinger1983
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:56 am
Car: Infiniti M30ds

Re: 4was and traction control light

Postby dinger1983 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:04 am

Frog wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:05 am
There’s a reason this system only stayed on the m for 2 years it’s sucks. My light came on then went away this would be the 3 rd rear steering replacement. I am at 117k. But took to dealer they said it’s ok. So I am trading it off b4 it’s worth 4K less
iv been a plant mechanic for 18year and even the shittest of equipment can be fixed
infiniti seem to think the fix is changing the rear rack ok. most but not all report that changing it sorts the problem
the rack is very simple there not that much that can go wrong with it
1) bad motor
2)bad position sensor
3)seized worn or broken worm gear, rack or pinion

kinda discounting the michanical because its more of an intermitant fault
only left with the sensor and motor which are the same as some late model skylines and g35 so 2nd hand part are avalible cheap
im hopping to get it apart soon and identify the motor and sensor locate new parts

dinger1983
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:56 am
Car: Infiniti M30ds

4was / traction control hicas problem repaied **FIXED**

Postby dinger1983 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:20 am

ok so started new tread because i couldnt up date last thread

i have slowly been investagating the 4was traction control warning light hicas problem

first have to say $4000 plus is ridiculous amout of $$$ to replace this part
second its a mecanical part with 2 electrical components a motor and position sensor

after reading as much as i can on this and my own experience with my car i could only realy compare the fault to my battery powered impact gun when it needed new brushes so i consentrated on the electric motor

i removed the electric motor from the rack its only 2 bolts and a plug (DO NOT HIT THE CASING TO FREE MOTOR)
them removed the casing from the motor if you are going to try this DONT HIT THE CASING the magnets for the motor are glued to inside of casing and may break as i think mines did
also be carful when removing casing i also manage to damage a part of the plastic base

when removed i found some corrosion and the brushes stuck in position not contacting the rotor as suspected

so i cleaned it all up as best i could with brake cleaner freeing the brushes glued down the broken plastic removed the broken bits of magnet and rebuilt the motor
refitted it to car test drove and all was good

IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/33neruv.jpg[/IMG]
Image
Image
IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/33v0wuf.jpg[/IMG]
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Ilya
Moderator
Posts: 8982
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:20 pm
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.
Location: Albany, NY
Contact:

Re: 4was and traction control light

Postby Ilya » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:58 pm

Good work man! I merged all your threads/posts together. So the issue is the brushes in the motor lose contact due to rust, etc.?

dinger1983
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:56 am
Car: Infiniti M30ds

Re: 4WAS & Traction Control Light (FIXED: Motor)

Postby dinger1983 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:33 pm

ye my moneys on the brushes im looking at trying to find replacment brushes and motors but its a part of a part so not having much luck

although it dose look alot like the wiper motor from a few different cars that come in at only £22 new so im gona see about getting one and taking it to bits

EdBwoy
Moderator
Posts: 3246
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:47 am
Location: St. Louis Metro East - IL
Contact:

Re: 4was and traction control light

Postby EdBwoy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:11 am

Thank you for sharing the solution after tackling this issue. I figured as much that it's not rocket science; I wanted to tinker with a damaged rack but unfortunately (and also thankfully), I couldn't lay my hands on such a piece.
A number of people have given up on an otherwise good vehicle with impressive suspension and handling characteristics because 4WAS got a bad rap.
dinger1983 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:04 am
iv been a plant mechanic for 18year and even the s*** of equipment can be fixed
...
Agreed.

dinger1983
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:56 am
Car: Infiniti M30ds

Re: 4was and traction control light

Postby dinger1983 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:35 am

EdBwoy wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:11 am
Thank you for sharing the solution after tackling this issue. I figured as much that it's not rocket science; I wanted to tinker with a damaged rack but unfortunately (and also thankfully), I couldn't lay my hands on such a piece.
A number of people have given up on an otherwise good vehicle with impressive suspension and handling characteristics because 4WAS got a bad rap.
dinger1983 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:04 am
iv been a plant mechanic for 18year and even the s*** of equipment can be fixed
...
Agreed.
im working on getting my hands on a skyline rack the motor and fitting plate are the same and more ready avalible posible refurb potential
but allso having a look at windscreen wiper motor being the same could mean new motors for as little as £22

Aolson345
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:27 pm
Car: 2011 M37S Blk Out

Re: 4WAS & Traction Control Light (FIXED: Motor)

Postby Aolson345 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:30 am

4was fixed! $100 and in 2 mins.
So like dinger said the problem with the 4was system in our cars has to do with the little motor connected to the rear steering actuator.
This motor you cannot purchase by itself not the Infiniti or Nissan. You must buy the $5k entire rear steering actuator (s*** if you ask me).
Skyline R33 and R34, inifitni m35s, and m45s. And a few other have this steering set up. The rear steering set up is different but the little motors are all the same. If you look up these cars you can find the actuators all day long w the motors.
When you purchase unbolt the 2 12 mm bolts (not the 4 screws) and the plug. Do the same to the motor on the car and swap them. (Didnt even unplug the battery). Started car lights were gone everything works again. Now take your old motor and send it to Nissan with a letter saying f*ck you! It only cost me $100. If you have any questions pm me.

bg383
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:47 pm
Car: 2011 M37s

Re: 4WAS & Traction Control Light (FIXED: Motor)

Postby bg383 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:41 pm

Aolson345 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:30 am
4was fixed! $100 and in 2 mins.
So like dinger said the problem with the 4was system in our cars has to do with the little motor connected to the rear steering actuator.
This motor you cannot purchase by itself not the Infiniti or Nissan. You must buy the $5k entire rear steering actuator (bullsh*t if you ask me).
Skyline R33 and R34, inifitni m35s, and m45s. And a few other have this steering set up. The rear steering set up is different but the little motors are all the same. If you look up these cars you can find the actuators all day long w the motors.
When you purchase unbolt the 2 12 mm bolts (not the 4 screws) and the plug. Do the same to the motor on the car and swap them. (Didnt even unplug the battery). Started car lights were gone everything works again. Now take your old motor and send it to Nissan with a letter saying f*ck you! It only cost me $100. If you have any questions pm me.
Aolson345 Please PM me, as I need this done ASAP. or email at [email protected]. Thanks

Aolson345
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:27 pm
Car: 2011 M37S Blk Out

Re: 4WAS & Traction Control Light (FIXED: Motor)

Postby Aolson345 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:19 pm

Email sent

cloud9.214tex
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:50 pm
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37s

Re: 4WAS & Traction Control Light (FIXED: Motor)

Postby cloud9.214tex » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:25 am

Aolson345 Can you tell me what kind a motor you used? I searched ebay and found alot of actuator, but they are around 400. I might just get rid of these car if this doesn't work

Aolson345
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:27 pm
Car: 2011 M37S Blk Out

Re: 4WAS & Traction Control Light (FIXED: Motor)

Postby Aolson345 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:58 am

cloud9.214tex wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:25 am
Aolson345 Can you tell me what kind a motor you used? I searched ebay and found alot of actuator, but they are around 400. I might just get rid of these car if this doesn't work
Personally I used a used one off a m35/45 can't remember but their the same. $400 is a bit high. There on eBay anywhere from 150-250.
Search M35/45 rear actuator.

milnosaj
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:03 am
Car: 07 M35s

Re: 4WAS & Traction Control Light (FIXED: Motor)

Postby milnosaj » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:21 pm

Aolson345 Can you please e-mail me at [email protected]? Thank you.

milnosaj
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:03 am
Car: 07 M35s

Re: 4WAS & Traction Control Light (FIXED: Motor)

Postby milnosaj » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:28 pm

dinger1983 Is there a way where I can see the pictures from your previous post where you cleaned the electric motor?

JohnsonZ
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:09 am
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37s

Re: 4WAS & Traction Control Light (FIXED: Motor)

Postby JohnsonZ » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:25 am

Aolson345- You're awesome! I'm in the same situation and was quoted $6,100 by my local dealership to fix. Are both of the parts on the actuator easily removable and installed? Also, will you email me? I would like to show you a pic of the actuator I'm going to order off Ebay and want to make sure it's the correct one. Thanks so much in advance!

ZeltonJohnson @ aol.com
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited

skdeezee214
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:16 pm
Car: 2011 M56 S

Re: 4WAS & Traction Control Light (FIXED: Motor)

Postby skdeezee214 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:24 pm

I kinda did the same thing on my M56
Here's a tutorial for the M56:

Last edited by Rogue One on Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix link(s)

User avatar
Rogue One
Moderator
Posts: 7837
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:15 pm
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
Location: Florida, USA

Re: 4WAS & Traction Control Light (FIXED: Motor)

Postby Rogue One » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:19 am

JohnsonZ wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:25 am
Aolson345- You're awesome! I'm in the same situation and was quoted $6,100 by my local dealership to fix. Are both of the parts on the actuator easily removable and installed? Also, will you email me? I would like to show you a pic of the actuator I'm going to order off Ebay and want to make sure it's the correct one. Thanks so much in advance!

*REDACTED*
Never DOX yourself online! If you still feel the need to share your personal info, at least make it harder for spammers to get your info by breaking apart your email address (fixed that for you).

Solaris1
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:47 pm
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37s

Re: 4WAS & Traction Control Light (FIXED: Motor)

Postby Solaris1 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:04 am

bg383 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:41 pm
Aolson345 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:30 am
4was fixed! $100 and in 2 mins.
So like dinger said the problem with the 4was system in our cars has to do with the little motor connected to the rear steering actuator.
This motor you cannot purchase by itself not the Infiniti or Nissan. You must buy the $5k entire rear steering actuator (bullsh*t if you ask me).
Skyline R33 and R34, inifitni m35s, and m45s. And a few other have this steering set up. The rear steering set up is different but the little motors are all the same. If you look up these cars you can find the actuators all day long w the motors.
When you purchase unbolt the 2 12 mm bolts (not the 4 screws) and the plug. Do the same to the motor on the car and swap them. (Didnt even unplug the battery). Started car lights were gone everything works again. Now take your old motor and send it to Nissan with a letter saying f*ck you! It only cost me $100. If you have any questions pm me.
Aolson345 Please PM me, as I need this done ASAP. or email at [email protected]. Thanks
[can u send me the part# for that motor, i need help with this asap. please e-mail me at [email protected]]

Solaris1
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:47 pm
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37s

Re: 4WAS & Traction Control Light (FIXED: Motor)

Postby Solaris1 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:31 am

can u email me at [email protected]. I got the same problem , need the part # for that motor

User avatar
LOOKATTHATSHINE
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:44 am
Car: 2012 Liquid Platinum Infiniti M37s

Re: 4was / traction control hicas problem repaied **FIXED**

Postby LOOKATTHATSHINE » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:56 pm

Dinger Can you either re-upload those pics or email them to me? The links are broken.
dinger1983 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:20 am

mikewill53
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:39 am
Car: 2011 Infiniti M30d

Re: 4WAS & Traction Control Light (FIXED: Motor)

Postby mikewill53 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:25 am

Mine was in hell of a mess.. looks like water has gotten in.. cleaned all the connections, works fine now. Suprised to be honest
IMG_20200415_133835_compress63.jpg

User avatar
LOOKATTHATSHINE
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:44 am
Car: 2012 Liquid Platinum Infiniti M37s

Re: 4WAS & Traction Control Light (FIXED: Motor)

Postby LOOKATTHATSHINE » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:24 am

mikewill53 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:25 am
Mine was in hell of a mess.. looks like water has gotten in.. cleaned all the connections, works fine now. Suprised to be honest
Thanks for sharing that Mike. So your 4WAS & VDC lights went away after cleaning? Also, when those dash lights were on did your steering wheel also tilt slightly at times?

I’m assuming you just sprayed brake cleaner and wiped the unit and assembly off to clean?

User avatar
LOOKATTHATSHINE
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:44 am
Car: 2012 Liquid Platinum Infiniti M37s

Re: 4WAS & Traction Control Light (FIXED: Motor)

Postby LOOKATTHATSHINE » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:26 pm

Just an update with my experience - I took mine apart this afternoon and cleaned the grease off, but unfortunately this did not fix my 4WAS/VDC light issue. I hope others have more luck.

mikewill53
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:39 am
Car: 2011 Infiniti M30d

Re: 4WAS & Traction Control Light (FIXED: Motor)

Postby mikewill53 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:01 am

LOOKATTHATSHINE wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:24 am
mikewill53 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:25 am
Mine was in hell of a mess.. looks like water has gotten in.. cleaned all the connections, works fine now. Suprised to be honest
Thanks for sharing that Mike. So your 4WAS & VDC lights went away after cleaning? Also, when those dash lights were on did your steering wheel also tilt slightly at times?

I’m assuming you just sprayed brake cleaner and wiped the unit and assembly off to clean?
Hi
Yeh it felt tilty, I assume it's cause the 4 wheel steering has been disabled. No I didn't use brake cleaner, I used rust removal, isopropyl alcohol and a Dremel. I cleaned everything I've pointed at in the picture below.. I also cleaned the inside of the case with the large magnets. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't something to do with that
Attachments
IMG_20200416_085829_compress18.jpg


Return to “Infiniti M37, M56 and Q70 Forum”