4WAS & Traction Control Light (FIXED: Motor)

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Solaris1
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37s

Does anyone know where you can get the rear steering rack motor repaired or tested. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

mlevaggi
Car: ???? Infiniti M37 S

I know this post is getting old, but is still applicable to many. I appreciate all who have posted in the past as no matter how many months/years have passed the posts are still applicable as this issue is still happening . Wanted to share my experience to hopefully help others.

Same issue as everyone. 4WAS and Traction Control Light on and was diagnosed with a faulty rear steering control unit priced at $7000+. YIKES! 2011 M37S with 128K miles is only worth about that much these days.

If you look at the rear 'electric rack and pinion' unit I will call it, its very simple. A small electric motor which spins a worm gear that controls the very small 5 degree or so movement of the rear steering. The motor has 2 - 12 mm bolts with a 2 wire connector that comes off in less than 10 minutes. Very easy to get to. My motor had a bunch of grease in it that others mentioned as well when I took it apart on my bench. There should be no grease in there! The carbon brushes were obviously worn to the point they would not make contact with the motor any longer. next day on Amazon I ordered new brushes (6mm x 7mm x 12ishmm is the size you need. Had to solder the original tabs onto the new brush wires but put it all together and for $8.50 was able to fix it and 10 minutes later put it all together and saved $7500 that I was quoted.

Seriously, $8.50 in new brushes for the small steering motor and less than 20 minutes total to take off, and reinstall the motor and it was done.

This is my second Infinity but SHAME ON YOU INFINITY for not offering a reasonably priced new electric motor which bolts on so easily !

Cylonraider
Car: ???

mlevaggi wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:12 pm
I know this post is getting old, but is still applicable to many. I appreciate all who have posted in the past as no matter how many months/years have passed the posts are still applicable as this issue is still happening . Wanted to share my experience to hopefully help others.

Same issue as everyone. 4WAS and Traction Control Light on and was diagnosed with a faulty rear steering control unit priced at $7000+. YIKES! 2011 M37S with 128K miles is only worth about that much these days.

If you look at the rear 'electric rack and pinion' unit I will call it, its very simple. A small electric motor which spins a worm gear that controls the very small 5 degree or so movement of the rear steering. The motor has 2 - 12 mm bolts with a 2 wire connector that comes off in less than 10 minutes. Very easy to get to. My motor had a bunch of grease in it that others mentioned as well when I took it apart on my bench. There should be no grease in there! The carbon brushes were obviously worn to the point they would not make contact with the motor any longer. next day on Amazon I ordered new brushes (6mm x 7mm x 12ishmm is the size you need. Had to solder the original tabs onto the new brush wires but put it all together and for $8.50 was able to fix it and 10 minutes later put it all together and saved $7500 that I was quoted.

Seriously, $8.50 in new brushes for the small steering motor and less than 20 minutes total to take off, and reinstall the motor and it was done.

This is my second Infinity but SHAME ON YOU INFINITY for not offering a reasonably priced new electric motor which bolts on so easily !
Do you happen to have a link?

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”