4WAS Failure Statistics?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Pakitullanc
Car: 2012 Infiniti M56 S

Sorry for all the individual posts

M37SJoe
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37 S

Please post a picture of your multimeter. The previous picture showed the meter was set to the wrong range and the black lead was in the wrong jack. Let's worry about the dash lights in a seperate post.

Pakitullanc

So, just had to opportunity to mess with the car again. I took the the plug or whatever you call it out and aligned it up, top and bottom as marked. Now unlike before the 4was light would come on when you start the car. Now they come on when I hit 20mph. I did the multimeter test and my values don't change when I rotate the plug. I was finally able to get in for a oil change and drive shaft recall tomorrow. So I have them do an alignment/calibration?
Attachments
20211027_165440.jpg
20211027_165108.jpg

Pakitullanc

Replace the actuator with the M35 actuator I bought from eBay and the lights are off. Drove 7 miles no lights.

So my steering wheel is slightly crooked, should I get an alignment done tomorrow?

M37SJoe

PROGRESS!

Yes, an alignment should fix the Steering Wheel issue.

Go over a few bumps to really test things...

While premature, CONGRATULATIONS!

Pakitullanc

Thanks man, for all your help. If you were here I would give you a hug. Now tomorrow I am going to see if the dealership can replace my ebay BCM and program keys to solve my no interior light problem.

M37SJoe

Wow... more issues? My M37S has been relatively trouble free. Much more reliable than my Volvo was. Glad to help out!

Pakitullanc

M37SJoe wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:50 pm
Wow... more issues? My M37S has been relatively trouble free. Much more reliable than my Volvo was. Glad to help out!
That was my fault while replacing incandescent to led. Did not disconnect the battery.

M37SJoe

Interesting. I have not replaced a single bulb on my M37S.

Pakitullanc

M37SJoe wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:25 am
Interesting. I have not replaced a single bulb on my M37S.
Haha, smart guy. I hated the interior incandescent oem bulbs that came with the car.

dmiles140
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37S

Pakitullanc wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:33 pm
Replace the actuator with the M35 actuator I bought from eBay and the lights are off. Drove 7 miles no lights.

So my steering wheel is slightly crooked, should I get an alignment done tomorrow?
If the light does come back on let us know because you calibrate the rear steering angle sensor yourself. You have to line the sensor up with the slit on the actuator, then while your multimeter is connected to the cable pins turn the sensor. The values should change and you just have to get them to read 2.4.

Pakitullanc

dmiles140 wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:56 pm
Pakitullanc wrote:

If the light does come back on let us know because you calibrate the rear steering angle sensor yourself. You have to line the sensor up with the slit on the actuator, then while your multimeter is connected to the cable pins turn the sensor. The values should change and you just have to get them to read 2.4.

I never used a multimeter. I attempted but did it wrong so I gave up. I aligned the sensor with the slit in the actuator which ended being North and South angle. Then I turned clockwise (reading your post, so thanks) slowly a bit and then started the car. I kept turning and starting until the lights were off, lol. Trail and error. I plan on making a YouTube video as I still have the cables and M35 rack with motor so may help someone. Got 4 wheel alignment done this past Friday at the dealership. Still no lights. Thanks for your help.

mr56
Car: ???

dmiles140 wrote:
Pakitullanc wrote:

Hello! Would you be able to post some pictures of what needs to be aligned to calibrate the rear steering sensor?
Last edited by Rogue One on Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: TYPO

mr56

M37SJoe wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:35 pm
Update on my 2011 M37S $WAS issue:

(1) I took my car to an independent shop who has the ability to calibrate the Front Steering Angle Sensor.
(2) They calibrated it and cleared all Codes. Drove the car 30 miles. No Codes.
(3) I am pleased to say the car is fixed! I have driven it an additional 45 minutes or about 25 miles.
(4) The real problem was the Front Steering Angle Sensor Connector. It must have been bumped loose. I disconnected it and reconnected it and I was able to clear Code C1930.

Infiniti Motors and my local Infiniti Dealer should be embarrassed that they wanted to first replace the ABS Actuator and then the Rear Steering Rack. Neither would have fixed the problem.

I have found a reasonably priced Code Reader that can Calibrate the Front Steering Angle Sensor (and a lot of other stuff). It is made by Autel and runs $350 or so.

Thanks,

Happy M37SJoe
Hello, would you mind sharing the location of the front steering angle sensor connector.

Pakitullanc

Here you go.
Attachments
20211027_165108.jpg

Pakitullanc

It's located in this cable
Attachments
Screenshot_20210811-210201_Chrome.jpg

mr56

Pakitullanc wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:24 pm
Thanks!

Mine came in at
1-4. .93
1-2. 1.27
1-3. 1.27

I have codes c1138, and c1130 if any one can point me in the right direction it will be much appreciated. I removed the motor from the steering rack and ran current to it and it spun.

barbastard
Car: 2011 M37S

Want to thank everyone on this forum....my 4WAS on my 2011 M37S recently failed, but because of this forum, it was not costly or challenging for me to have repaired.

Before I bought my car in September of 2019 (had 96K miles on it) I did a lot of reserach on it (here and elesewhere) and as a result of that I did something I never do....I bought an extended warranty. This car is my commuter and as such, I didn't want any hassle or time spent for me wrenching on it (I have MANY more vehiciles that occupy that space for me). For $2500 it covered me for 5 years or 60k miles. Car has been trouble free for almost 40k miles and the past 2+ years.

Until about 8 weeks ago. I started getting intermittent dash lights on for the 4WAS. Would come on, then go off. By the way it was driving could tell it was failing. Additionally, my driver side power mirror wouldn't fold in or adjust and was loose. I took it into the dealer, they diagnosed the rear steering gear/motor assembly was bad. Warranty company honored it and along with the mirror repair and alignment....all it cost me was my $100 deductible. Cost the warranty company $10,750. After having it for 3 weeks, I got it back from the dealer on Friday. All fixed and good to go.

So thank you to this forum!!! And if you can....at least for this car....buy that warranty!!!

Carry on gents.....

Pakitullanc

barbastard wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:02 am
Want to thank everyone on this forum....my 4WAS on my 2011 M37S recently failed, but because of this forum, it was not costly or challenging for me to have repaired.

Before I bought my car in September of 2019 (had 96K miles on it) I did a lot of reserach on it (here and elesewhere) and as a result of that I did something I never do....I bought an extended warranty. This car is my commuter and as such, I didn't want any hassle or time spent for me wrenching on it (I have MANY more vehiciles that occupy that space for me). For $2500 it covered me for 5 years or 60k miles. Car has been trouble free for almost 40k miles and the past 2+ years.

Until about 8 weeks ago. I started getting intermittent dash lights on for the 4WAS. Would come on, then go off. By the way it was driving could tell it was failing. Additionally, my driver side power mirror wouldn't fold in or adjust and was loose. I took it into the dealer, they diagnosed the rear steering gear/motor assembly was bad. Warranty company honored it and along with the mirror repair and alignment....all it cost me was my $100 deductible. Cost the warranty company $10,750. After having it for 3 weeks, I got it back from the dealer on Friday. All fixed and good to go.

So thank you to this forum!!! And if you can....at least for this car....buy that warranty!!!

Carry on gents.....
👍

dmiles140
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37S

mr56 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:10 pm
Pakitullanc wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:24 pm
Thanks!

Mine came in at
1-4. .93
1-2. 1.27
1-3. 1.27

I have codes c1138, and c1130 if any one can point me in the right direction it will be much appreciated. I removed the motor from the steering rack and ran current to it and it spun.
Did you ever get this fixed? Sorry for the 6 month later reply.

Pakitullanc

I did, thanks

Abe4speed
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37 S
2011 Infiniti G37x S

Hi guys , I purchased a used M37S 2012 about 5 month ago from a guy who has the car for 2 years and he doesn’t know nothing about the car . So when I got the car he mentioned something about the light (4Was) and he said he never was able to figure it out.
When I got the car I jacked up the rear end and I have removed the cover off the motor ( hicas motor located on the back steering rack) and cleaned it up and nothing really happened the check engine lights stayed on and then I went on eBay and I found a complete rack with a motor and everything was good condition bought it and installed it and I still have the light on and my steering is about 15 degrees off to the right . I did a complete alignment on the car and then the light went away and the light will come back only after I drive the car for like one minute but when I turn the car off and turn it back on the light will go away until I start Driving but now about a week ago the light will always stay on and the steering wheel is off always .
I love the car but it’s really starting to get to me especially that no one really has a good diagnosis method to start somewhere . Any help would be extremely appreciated
The codes are :
P3800
C1138
P0209
I have a suspicion of the front HICAS steering shaft but I don’t really have a good way to troubleshoot it.
Is there any scan tool out there can actually troubleshoot this system besides the factory scan tool ??

Pakitullanc

Abe4speed wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:25 am
Hi guys , I purchased a used M37S 2012 about 5 month ago from a guy who has the car for 2 years and he doesn’t know nothing about the car . So when I got the car he mentioned something about the light (4Was) and he said he never was able to figure it out.
When I got the car I jacked up the rear end and I have removed the cover off the motor ( hicas motor located on the back steering rack) and cleaned it up and nothing really happened the check engine lights stayed on and then I went on eBay and I found a complete rack with a motor and everything was good condition bought it and installed it and I still have the light on and my steering is about 15 degrees off to the right . I did a complete alignment on the car and then the light went away and the light will come back only after I drive the car for like one minute but when I turn the car off and turn it back on the light will go away until I start Driving but now about a week ago the light will always stay on and the steering wheel is off always .
I love the car but it’s really starting to get to me especially that no one really has a good diagnosis method to start somewhere . Any help would be extremely appreciated
The codes are :
P3800
C1138
P0209
I have a suspicion of the front HICAS steering shaft but I don’t really have a good way to troubleshoot it.
Is there any scan tool out there can actually troubleshoot this system besides the factory scan tool ??
In one my of my post above, I wrote how to turn the steering angle sensor for it to align to make the light go away. When I replaced my actuator the light went away and when I drove it for a minute it would come back on. Just read the post from me but long story short, I had to go under the and turn the sensor (which is inside the cover) barely a few times (turn, then take it for a drive and repeat) before the light stayed off.
s*** is frustrating, I feel your pain. GL

Pakitullanc

Pakitullanc wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:38 am
dmiles140 wrote:

I never used a multimeter. I attempted but did it wrong so I gave up. I aligned the sensor with the slit in the actuator which ended being North and South angle. Then I turned clockwise (reading your post, so thanks) slowly a bit and then started the car. I kept turning and starting until the lights were off, lol. Trail and error. I plan on making a YouTube video as I still have the cables and M35 rack with motor so may help someone. Got 4 wheel alignment done this past Friday at the dealership. Still no lights. Thanks for your help.

Read this.

Pakitullanc

Pakitullanc wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:21 pm
Here you go.

Abe4speed
2011 Infiniti G37x S

Forget to mention something I feel like it’s very important.
Right when I changed the rear assembly for the steering the lights will go away until I go on the highway and go over 45-55 mph the light will come back on .

Pakitullanc

I am not a tech, but I feel realign the steering angle sensor may solve your problem.

Abe4speed
2011 Infiniti G37x S

Pakitullanc wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:38 am
dmiles140 wrote:

Hello bud ,
Have you made a video yet ?

Pakitullanc

Nah man, I never got around to it. Life happened, sorry. But glad to help you if memory will help me. Everything I did was on this thread to solve my issue.

Infinitispec4x4
Car: ???? Infiniti M30d Q70

Hi, i have been reading lots of what has been posted. its extremely great how ones have sorted issue. My Q70 4was had an issue with the rear motor seized. i got a replacement rack with motor and the motor and rack work. i can set the sub and main voltage to 2.4volt and 2.6 volt ok. the issue is i have to keep the motor unplugged as once i either turn ignition on or start the car the control unit powers the motor and moves the rack fully one way sticking the ramp in full turn position. i have tried to set steer angle etc. does anyone know or could anyone check does the motor get powered up on start up? this can be done by a test bulb in the motor plug. i have tried donor main control unit. any help would be really appreciated.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”