400 whp Stock block Redtop - GT2871r .64 power!

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
Mouse6933

Geno750 wrote:
Not that I saw, but from what I understand, the wizards at XS engineering have been doing 400whp sr's with 2871r .64 turbos for some time now.
haha wizards indeed

i was under the impression running my external gate will add power, the cam gears will add to my driveability, and the alky the my smile factor

idahotuner
Car: 2012 ram 2500 6.7 cummins, 93 Sileighty and 93 civic hatch, polaris ranger 2011

i am going to run a megan racing manifold with a .64 gt2871r turbo. and i have full exhaust and all the comon upgrade stuff, fmic. tomei hg, bc264 cams bc springs, arp headstuds. with an enthalpy tune. and some other stuff. hopen for 375 whp. on my set up. wont be able to dyno until next summer cause i have to pay for everything to put on first lol. but that is m plan of action. i have all my head parts all ready.

SRspoolin
Car: Sileighty

so whats the deal with hybrid turbo's? whats good about em and not so good?

i emailed the dude about teh t3/t4 turbo and its a hybrid. will that be better to get full boost at low rpm's and higher hp numbers? as you can tell i dont know a whole lot about turbo's...

CMG
Car: 1989 240sx Hatch w/ Redtop

plainzwalker wrote:When the OP said Cobra MAF, is that the Ford Cobra or a brand name? If its the Ford one, how does it benefit? Is it hard to wire up?

Thanks
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the forg mustang cobra. I believe you can use a stock MAF, and also granatelli motorsports makes cobra MAFs that are huge.

codyace
Car: S14 w/redtop

Sorry guys, long time since my last post over here! I hope to clear up a few things, and have responded to each thing via quote.
SRspoolin wrote:so say i get the same mods as him (thread starter) except i get the t3/t4 50 trim .63a/r, ill have full boost exactly like his and right around the same hp numbers he does?

if not, what will be the biggest differences between the 2871 vs t3/t4 50 trim .63a/r?
Remeber there are two different 2871r turbos (.64 and the .86) and both are very differnet animals. I think the .64 housing IS the ultimate street turbo out there right now for our cars. Quick spool, great power potential, and no need to build the engine to high heavens to withstand it.

the AGP 50trim t3/t4 IMO is a better replacement for the gt2871r .86 housing. It has equal flow, and typically produces a teeny bit more top end power, at the cost of spool and low end torque.

With that said however, my setup is fantastic for HPDE, easily capable of an 11 second pass, and is just as fast as 500 whp Domestics on the street. Having the easy of install of the t2, using stock stuff like the t2, and having more grunt are all huge advantages over the top mount t3/t4 (and all of the issues assocaited with them)
drmerdp wrote:Price certainly is in favor of the 50 trim.
If price is a cocnern, moding cars shouldn't be your hobby. Not meant to be rude, just my opinion. You don't buy cheap 25 cent condoms do you? Same should be said with automotive part purchases.
idahotuner wrote:so i would need it honed to get 375whp wit hthe .64. i read that tubular manifold can help with spool up by about 400rpm's so wit hthe 264 bc cams i am getting it should be aa pretty soild 375. right?
Tubular manifolds HURT spool, not help. They do sometimes offer higher top end HP potential, but in this case, no one can prove that they do. Plus who wants the worry of 'when will mine crack' with a tubular
Mouse6933 wrote:for the op what diff are you running, wheel and tire setup, and are u on stock driveshaft....

Myles
I just recentl put in a 4.6 diff (wow awesome....and affordable if you use an Xterra SE front diff as the doner)

Wheels are Z33 Ray's 18's (track edition wheels), on 245/40 Federal 595's in the back. (225/40 Hankook Ventus RS2 in the front)
Mouse6933 wrote:im hoping to give these numbers a run , 2871r 64. tomei head gasket, tomei throttle body , arp studs,, thermal intake gasket bc springs and retainers, ras, hks step 2 264's, came gears, greddy intake mani, greddy vspl, synapse external wastegate, mr exhaust mani and o2 pipe, greddy emanage ultimate, MAP setup, and AEM ALKY injection..... should have it done and dyno before end of month, just waitin on intake mani, and some aluminum piping..... any info or suggestions are always appreciated
Things I'd change:

Dump the HKS cams in favor of Jim Wolf S3's. This will also elimate need for all of that other BC chinese crap in the valvetrain, just waiting to fail.

I would also not bother with the MR tubular at all. Extrude the stocker, and coat the stocker.

I wouldn't use the MR o2 outlet either. Use the greddy. Much better design, no splitting issues.

Can't say anything about the Tomei HG, but I strongly prefer the ApexI
Geno750 wrote:Not that I saw, but from what I understand, the wizards at XS engineering have been doing 400whp sr's with 2871r .64 turbos for some time now.
Ex XS, now Cosworth GURU Eric Hsu did claim that, but never showed any other examples. HOWEVER I have no doubt in his claims. To use a line from his blog, he certainly builds 'buff' cars.
Mouse6933 wrote:i was under the impression running my external gate will add power, the cam gears will add to my driveability, and the alky the my smile factor
I ran cam gears in the car, as per direction of some OG FWD sr guys, and noticed much less top end then I liked, with only a minimal gain in the torque department. Granted all *** dyno, but I believe mine to be pretty calibrated. No difference in daily drivability either. JWT cams rock rock rock right out of the box.

External gate should theoretically enable more HP potential, but gains sometimes aren't seen in the 'peak', but moreso in the 'overall', or total area under the curve. I will be upgrading this over the winter.

And Meth rocks. My JWT ecu has it programmed in, but I will finally be installing it this winter as well.
SRspoolin wrote:so whats the deal with hybrid turbo's? whats good about em and not so good?
Hybrid is an old term we used to use when all the rage was sticking to4b compressor covers on our t3's haha. Every turbo is essentially a hybrid in this day in age, unless they claim 'straight t3' or 'straight t4'
CMG wrote:I'm pretty sure he's talking about the forg mustang cobra. I believe you can use a stock MAF, and also granatelli motorsports makes cobra MAFs that are huge.
They def make nice stuff, but I can't say for sure they work with JWT ecus. JWT offers OEM Cobra MAF (90's Fox body MAF cobra) and 90mm Lightning MAF support.
Modified by codyace at 12:32 PM 12/11/2007

idahotuner
Car: 2012 ram 2500 6.7 cummins, 93 Sileighty and 93 civic hatch, polaris ranger 2011

aw. well i allready have my tubuliar manifold, and i have a gready intake manifold.

i want ot oknow about this turbo that you say is better then the g2871r. but still a t2.

the AGP 50trim t3/t4. where do you get that.i would jsut like more info on it.

codyace

idahotuner wrote:aw. well i allready have my tubuliar manifold, and i have a gready intake manifold.

i want ot oknow about this turbo that you say is better then the g2871r. but still a t2.

the AGP 50trim t3/t4. where do you get that.i would jsut like more info on it.
No no, I guess my comparison should read that a AGP 50 trim t3/t4 would be a better choice IMO than .86 housing 2871r. I still think the 2871r .64 is better than both of them cobined.

I also thik that a nice 50 trim from AGP will equal or be very near a 3071r.

Sorry about that, I'll edit my post above too :D

idahotuner

aw. well i allreayd have a megan racing manifold and a greddy intake. and bc 264 cams and springs. apexi 1.1 mm headgasket arp head studs new valve seals. and i want 400 whp and about 300lbs of torque. i wanta pretty flat toruqe curve to that would be great.

codyace

idahotuner wrote:aw. well i allreayd have a megan racing manifold and a greddy intake. and bc 264 cams and springs. apexi 1.1 mm headgasket arp head studs new valve seals. and i want 400 whp and about 300lbs of torque. i wanta pretty flat toruqe curve to that would be great.
I think you'd be close, really dependent on the tune you go with (or who tunes your car)

idahotuner

i was planing on an enthalpy rom tune

i know my fuel system will support more then 400 hp no problem..

so i would be close with the .64 or the .84

240sxHitman
Car: Boosted '91 240sx

i like your set up and when i get my sr ill be able to have a set up that produces around 400hp also.

one question though, the 60lb injectors are the completely different from an injectors rated in cc's?

codyace

.64 housing like me.

.86 sucks, to laggy

I prefer JWT rom tunes, but Enthalpy is good stuff too!

idahotuner

sweet. that helps me decided. i will go with the .64 and did you just get a rom tune or did they do it o na dyno.

Kalypso

well done but

because i don't know i must ask.
240sxHitman wrote: the 60lb injectors are the completely different from an injectors rated in cc's?

- [ Mototron 60lb injectors ] what size would 60lb injectors be as cc's, 370cc/500cc ?

how much did you spend on your ->

ECUCamsMAFGT2871r .64 turbo intake manifold

Modified by Kalypso123 at 1:34 PM 12/14/2007

idahotuner

wel l ican tell you how much i am planing on spending on thaty stuff.

rom tuned ecu - $500Cams. 264 BC- $250Z32 MAF - $135gt2871r .64 - $1100-1300Intake Greddy manifold - $480destch werk 740cc injectors -$480Bc cam springs-$150megan racing exhaust manifold - $139

codyace

idahotuner wrote:sweet. that helps me decided. i will go with the .64 and did you just get a rom tune or did they do it o na dyno.
Rom tunes are ECU tunes.

I prefer JWT, but Enthalpy has good tunes too! These are the only two reliable and real deal rom tuners in the US that offer mail order tunes.

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com

http://www.rsenthalpy.com

codyace

Kalypso123 wrote:well done but

because i don't know i must ask.

what size would 60lb injectors be as cc's, 370cc/500cc ?
It's easy, and could have been answered in google.

From RC Fuel Injection Website:

lb per injector To convert cc / min to lbs. / hr. - Divide by 10.5To convert lbs. / hr to gal. / hr. - Divide by 6To convert cc / min to gal. / hr. - Multiply by .015873
Kalypso123 wrote:how much did you spend on your ->

ECUCamsMAFGT2871r .64 turbo intake manifold
For cams and ecu: http://www.jimwolftechnology.com. Check them for pricing.

Maf: Buy new, or find used on our forums (or other forums classifieds)

Turbo and Intake: Purchase any of NICO's wonderful vendors, and shop around for the current average/best pricing. We've got some good shops as vendors here, so be sure to check them all.

Kalypso

Thank you

Emperor_Tha

codyace wrote:
Rom tunes are ECU tunes.

I prefer JWT, but Enthalpy has good tunes too! These are the only two reliable and real deal rom tuners in the US that offer mail order tunes.

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com

http://www.rsenthalpy.com
import intelligence just came out with a chip ecu. they are able to tune your car more precisely on the road. you dont have to worry about running rich or lean.

idahotuner

sweet enthalpy i heard wasa closer tune. but for my setup. i am still not sure which one i will get. i think i will cal leither palce and decided from there

codyace

Emperor_Tha wrote:import intelligence just came out with a chip ecu. they are able to tune your car more precisely on the road. you dont have to worry about running rich or lean.
400 whp, JWT 'mail order' tune. I don't need to be chanigng stuff. If people would just copy my setup, they'd have similar power...no need for crazy new things or junk cheap parts.

Not hating on the Import Intellengence thing, but Im' sure it's very similar to NIStune, or CalumRealtime...which work great if you know what you are doing...I'm a business major, with tons of mechanical know how....except I know NOTHING about tuning, or how to tune (nor do i really want to, my brain is already full lol)
idahotuner wrote:sweet enthalpy i heard wasa closer tune. but for my setup. i am still not sure which one i will get. i think i will cal leither palce and decided from there
Heard and heard from knowledgable people are two VERY different things. All to often people immediatly blame their tune, when in reality it tends to be a factor of many other things (namley poor timing, vacuum leaks etc etc) that actually cause the car to run poorly.

JWT and Enthalpy work fantastic right out of the box. Both companies wil treat you well, and both will make really nice power on your setup. You may as well flip a coin as to who you want to go with. FWIW: Enthalpy turn around times are usually a little bit quicker than JWT too.

idahotuner

sweet. i think i will still them both a call and talk to them about it. i wont be getting my tune until the end of febuaraury most likely. so i have some time to decided.

codyace

idahotuner wrote:sweet. i think i will still them both a call and talk to them about it. i wont be getting my tune until the end of febuaraury most likely. so i have some time to decided.
With that much time, you could easily find a used one for sale between Nico, F/A, Zilvia, Sr20forum, or other Nissan related sites.

They often go for 300ish dollars on SR20forum, so if yo ugo that route, you can send it back for a simple reflash and change, and it will work with your 240 (assuming that you keep obd1 with obd1, and obd 2 with obd2).

White Comet
Car: fc, s13 and mazda6, Sierra

i considered a rom tune but i think im going w/ a power fc

codyace

White Comet wrote:i considered a rom tune but i think im going w/ a power fc
Who will be doing your tuning?

For 400 or lower, really is no reason for anythign but a rom tune...

idahotuner

codyace wrote:
With that much time, you could easily find a used one for sale between Nico, F/A, Zilvia, Sr20forum, or other Nissan related sites.

They often go for 300ish dollars on SR20forum, so if yo ugo that route, you can send it back for a simple reflash and change, and it will work with your 240 (assuming that you keep obd1 with obd1, and obd 2 with obd2).
yeai think i would rather just have my ecu tuned. because i dont have to worry about anything then. what do you mean obd2 and obd1. i havent heard those terms before. ..

so you are saying if you buy one with a tune allready they will reflash it even if you are a different owner. of it

White Comet
Car: fc, s13 and mazda6, Sierra

codyace wrote:
Who will be doing your tuning?

For 400 or lower, really is no reason for anythign but a rom tune...
a local place in Ephrata, i like that its easier to adjust the pfc for future upgrades, which i plan on doing a lot it wouldnt be worth it to keep getting the rom tune retuned

idahotuner

yea my build when done will be done the only things i will upgrade then are cosmetic things. and are small motor things. like an oil cooler and rollcage, and stuff like that. which is pretty simple.

codyace

idahotuner wrote:
yeai think i would rather just have my ecu tuned. because i dont have to worry about anything then. what do you mean obd2 and obd1. i havent heard those terms before. ..
Emissions/Diagnostic types. IIRC, 94.5+ Nissans are OBD2.

Simply put, if youre ecu has a blue connnector, you need to keep it with a blue connector (OBD1)...if OBDII, it will be white.
idahotuner wrote:so you are saying if you buy one with a tune allready they will reflash it even if you are a different owner. of it
Yep! So if a kid with a Sentra is selling his for 200, you acn buy it, send it back to JWT (again, I'm not sure if Enthalpy does this, as I've never delt wih them first hand), and they'll reflash it to your car for 100 bucks.
White Comet wrote:a local place in Ephrata, i like that its easier to adjust the pfc for future upgrades, which i plan on doing a lot it wouldnt be worth it to keep getting the rom tune retuned
Name of shop? And in all seriousness, the only thing that would requre a change of tune on the MAF cars is if you upgrade to a differnent MAF, injectors, andor build your motor and change compression. Once you go Z32 or Cobra, you never change, and 9/10 times, 72 lb injectors are never cahnged out either.

But to each is own, not hating, just trying to give you a real world viewpoint on them....

idahotuner

so do you thin ka divided o2 houseing makes much difference over a non divided on.

i got plenty of time to think about the ecu.

cant wait for tax return time

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”