400 whp Stock block Redtop - GT2871r .64 power!

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
Salzano12389
Car: 1995 S14 - SR20DET

Only running like 12 DD 19 When its time to race :)
Another question if i didnt have an electronic boost controller and just an mbc via switch ( seen it in my friends car and worked great) would that be sufficient or is ebc much better to have in this case? I'll be running a greddy informeter as well not that that matters.

Yea i really like the sound the bov has but with the stalling issues if thats the case then i was gonna get rid of it but that recirc fitting looks like a good way to keep my bov. Dont feel like trying to sell more parts already have s13 coilovers that i dont need :\. But is that all you need is that fitting? i figured there would a hose of some sort?? or am i dumb for thinking that lol.

Zentraedi
Car: 1994 S14 Silvia - Euro Spec

Just saw this thread, amazing stuff!

What trim GT2871r are you using 48, 52 or 56??.

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

The fitting allows you to attach a hose...

Salzano12389

lol ok yea i figured that, makes sense now lol..

anyway what do you think about a mbc not a good idea?

Salzano12389

lol ok yea i figured that, makes sense now lol..

freakyjason
Car: 1990 240sx

Thanks so much, Cody! This setup is working AMAZING for me! With my street tires, I burn through 1st 2nd and some of third at 16 psi. And with R compund tires at the glen, it was completely manageable and passed a lot of cars I probably shouldn't have been able to haha. I'll post up a dyno chart if I ever have the car dynoed. See you in dirty Jersey!

codyace
Car: S14 w/redtop

freakyjason wrote:Thanks so much, Cody! This setup is working AMAZING for me! With my street tires, I burn through 1st 2nd and some of third at 16 psi. And with R compund tires at the glen, it was completely manageable and passed a lot of cars I probably shouldn't have been able to haha. I'll post up a dyno chart if I ever have the car dynoed. See you in dirty Jersey!
Hey J!

I wish I coulda made NJ, but my parents took vacation and I had to run the business :( That's the name of the game though, I don't mind helping them out as for sure they've let me slide on many track days in the past hehe.

Your car certainly seemed to run really well...and I know for a fact it had to have surprised a ton of people...it's the closest thing to a v8 car out there, but with more more managable torque curve!

Salzano12389 wrote:lol ok yea i figured that, makes sense now lol..

I don't like a MBC for two reasons:

1. Lack of gain adjustment. With an EBC (and more so when in combination with internal gate) it allows you to add a ton of gain into the boost control...this helps fight creep and spike issues, as well is able to hold boost out till redline. An MBC may help you hit the target boost, but it certainly doesn't spool it as quickly, nor will it holkd.

2. Lack of true precision...an MBC is much more 'weather' reliant...where the EBC takes into account humidity/temperature etc etc and will always be constant. 90* in Summer or 45* in winter, my boost levels have never changed

idahotuner
Car: 2012 ram 2500 6.7 cummins, 93 Sileighty and 93 civic hatch, polaris ranger 2011

AVC_R is where it is at for electronic boost control

codyace

AVCR is certainly a good unit...I'm personally a fan of the Greddy Profec Spec 1, and the Greddy Type S (same controller really). I still would love to play with a Eboost2 on these cars, but that won't be fore a while :D

idahotuner
Car: 2012 ram 2500 6.7 cummins, 93 Sileighty and 93 civic hatch, polaris ranger 2011

i read that the greddy units had trouble with spiking.

codyace

idahotuner wrote:i read that the greddy units had trouble with spiking.
I've probably installed 15-30 of them (5-10 of which were of the Profec B Spec II variety) and never had any issue, across multiple setups.

THe Profec B Spec II are more difficult to setup as their interface is kinda funky...once you follow the guides it makes sense, but it's still no where as easy as the B Spec 1 and the Type S...Set the gain to prefered 'onset' and then twist the knob to your desired boost for low, repeat for high. Super easy and dead nuts reliable.

idahotuner

yeah i thinki figured out what destroyed my last setup, having the duty cycle set to high to soon. i ran 16 psi alot and had it comming on as fast and as hard as possible. this new set up will deff calm things down, first and 2nd will have low boost setting with more smooth onset.

codyace

Onset of boost/gain shoudln't make any difference in regard to longevity or 'niceness' on engine. However boost by gear is a nice feature to have,something the profec doesn't.

Undoubtedly less gain = less pull into power, but for a track car I 'want my cake and to eat it too'...I like having the off throttle ability to make the most boost instantlty hehe.

idahotuner

well runing 16 psi in first gear all the time and and taking it to red-line an allful lot do wear on it. the boost by gear is something i will work with more this time around

codyace

You gotta think though, that first gear really has the least amount of load on the car...ontop of that it also spins off fairly easily with anyhting north of 250 ft lbs, and is in that range for a split second as it is. In the grand scheme, first gear in any car really does the least amount of load or power oriented damage, this side of a drag race car...where it's not the gear that causes the problems, but th egear itself with an aggressive launch.

I'd love to work with boost by gear, but you'd really need to sit down and sort it out. If you figured that out, you'd have a TON of people looking to go your way. I know I'll admit, that first gear is often a short shift into 2nd for me...I wouldn't mind taking advantage of the RPM

idahotuner

i know i would like to change the rear end gearing to taller gears so i can use 1st and second more.

yeah i think like maybe a higher gain but lower boost setting in 1st and 2nd could be good. like 7 psi in 1st but have it at almost 100% duty then taper down to 80% is what i found to hold boost the most solid. and then 2nd gear have it go to maybe 10 -14 psi but a little smoother onset, then 3rd have it deff dump hard at like 18-20 psi, forth depending ,on my set up cause i am getting a tune for race gas and 91, will be any where from 22-30 probably, with alot more gain in both gears.

i do think and after market ignition will be required though, once i break 500 rwhp

Jbolanos92Silvia
Car: 1992 240sx

Quick question how long did this setup last you? Any transmission or engine problems? I know it's been a while but hopefully you can answer my question.
I'm putting together my car this weekend and the tuner and I are thinking 380-400 hp
Doc race ram horn manifold
Tial mvr wastegate
Gt2871r with tial housing
Custom down pipe
Isr exhaust
750cc fiveO injectors
BC 264 cams with valve springs an retainers
Cosmetic head gasket
Arp head studs
AEM EMS series 2 standalone
AEM water methanol kit
M spec intercooler kit
HKS SQV 4 bov
255 fuel pump
Spec stage 3 clutch
Fidanza 11lb flywheel

Jbolanos92Silvia
Car: 1992 240sx

[quote="Jbolanos92Silvia"]Quick question how long did this setup last you? Any transmission or engine problems? I know it's been a while but hopefully you can answer my question.
I'm putting together my car this weekend and the tuner and I are thinking 380-400 hp
Doc race ram horn manifold
Tial mvr wastegate
Gt2871r with tial housing
Custom down pipe
Isr exhaust
750cc fiveO injectors
BC 264 cams with valve springs an retainers
Cosmetic head gasket
Arp head studs
AEM EMS series 2 standalone
AEM water methanol kit
M spec intercooler kit
HKS SQV 4 bov
255 fuel pump
Spec stage 3 clutch
Fidanza 11lb flywheel

Oh and I forgot maf delete it's gonna be running an AEM map sensor that's actually all I'm waiting on to get here

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”