400 whp Stock block Redtop - GT2871r .64 power!

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
2_Liter_Turbo
Car: _________________
'96 S14 Coupe: SR20VET
'90 R32 TH1 GTR: RB26DETT
'92 S13 Fastback: SR20DET
'11 V36 Sedan: VQ25HR
'06 GMT800 2500HD: LBZ Duramax

Yeah, my 60 foots are crap as well. 2.111 is my best ever, and I only have a stock t25. I ran a 13.48 @ 104.1 mph though. I also ran a 13.51 @ 105.0 mph. This is all on regular street tires. My buddy Thomas runs 1.5 60 foots or lower with slicks. He has a turbonetics turbo/injectors/z32 MAF/ and a Power FC, dyno'd at 380 whp and runs 10's...

skaterpunk240sx
Car: 92 240sx

Deadrodent
Car: 1992 240sx hatchback

Hey cody, did you hone the manifold/turbo yourself? if you did you think you could enlighten the rest of the forum on how to do this? I'm looking to use a similar setup as you

FusionR300zx
Car: 1993 300zx/1997 240sx

now slap on a .86 real quick and lets see the difference

corey240
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX Base Drift Machine

codyace wrote:
I actually had tried to go the past 3 weeks at ATCO, but had so much other **** going on in life that I couldn't!

I'm also hoping for similar trap speeds....I just wish I was a better driver, to get the ET's to back it up too. Used slicks are a MUST purchase this winter/spring.

As far as the dyno, it's regarded as being the most accurate and middle reading ones in the general 100 mile radius. I too thought my dyno was high at first, but when compared to the many other cars (both n/a, turbo) it reads darn near dead on to what it should.
nice car cody. what kind of paint did you paint the motor with?

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

Nice work. It is good to see this as I will/was considering getting the larger A/R for 400 whp. Less lag and equal power FTW!

MustangManV6
Car: 1995 Subaru Impreza

What is swained? Never heard of this

silviabatman
Car: 97 silvia s14

MustangManV6 wrote:What is swained? Never heard of this
About Swain Technology Coatings, Inc. from http://www.swaintech.com

Swain Technology provides high performance engine coatings and industrial coatings to solve the problems of wear, heat, friction and corrosion. Our high performance coatings include ceramic thermal barriers, dry film lubricants, ceramic exhaust coatings, oil shedding coatings and several other coatings to improve the performance and/or durability of high performance parts. We develop and apply piston coatings, exhaust coatings, cylinder head coatings, bearing coatings and many other internal engine coatings.

In addition to our high performance division, we also have an extensive industrial division offering a variety of engineered coatings. Ceramic coatings, carbide coatings, metal coatings, polymer coatings, Teflon coatings, hard anodize (hardcoat), and thin hard coatings are some of the coatings that we apply. Whatever your coating need, Swain Technology can engineer a coating solution to improve the performance and longevity of your parts.

Find Swain Technology Coatings, Inc. and others on ThomasNet.com

codyace
Car: S14 w/redtop

Deadrodent wrote:Hey cody, did you hone the manifold/turbo yourself? if you did you think you could enlighten the rest of the forum on how to do this? I'm looking to use a similar setup as you
The manifold and turbo were honed by Extrude Hone (www.gethoned.com) It's a high tech puddy that they force through the part, and being that it's liquid based, it flows much like air would, and shines/ports/cleans up everything. SVT Contours had their intakes factory extrude honed...
redtop91 wrote:Nice work. It is good to see this as I will/was considering getting the larger A/R for 400 whp. Less lag and equal power FTW!
I hear ya on that...no use in running that big lazy housing. They put down good power, but I absolutly lag...and .86 housings spool like t3/t4's do...
corey240 wrote:nice car cody. what kind of paint did you paint the motor with?
The paint is called 'Aluma-Blast'. You can find it at most automotive stores in the Northeast....being that my dad/uncle run a truck repair shop, we had cans of it laying around from painting truck engines and trannys etc etc....

It's high temp, goes on awesome, and looks real....
FusionR300zx wrote:now slap on a .86 real quick and lets see the difference
Eyh, I'm making 400 on a intitial tune without my water/alcy injection or cam gears....If I make 420 whp and 360 ft lbs when all said and done, I will be a very happy man, as it will make big turbo power, with small turbo spool....agian those .86 housings are a tad lazy....t3/t4 spool-esque....
MustangManV6 wrote:What is swained? Never heard of this
http://www.swaintech.com....

It's the best automotive heat coating available, bar none...

Sorry for not checking up on this thread like I should have!

plainzwalker

When the OP said Cobra MAF, is that the Ford Cobra or a brand name? If its the Ford one, how does it benefit? Is it hard to wire up?

Thanks

MustangManV6
Car: 1995 Subaru Impreza

silviabatman wrote:About Swain Technology Coatings, Inc. from http://www.swaintech.com

Swain Technology provides high performance engine coatings and industrial coatings to solve the problems of wear, heat, friction and corrosion. Our high performance coatings include ceramic thermal barriers, dry film lubricants, ceramic exhaust coatings, oil shedding coatings and several other coatings to improve the performance and/or durability of high performance parts. We develop and apply piston coatings, exhaust coatings, cylinder head coatings, bearing coatings and many other internal engine coatings.

In addition to our high performance division, we also have an extensive industrial division offering a variety of engineered coatings. Ceramic coatings, carbide coatings, metal coatings, polymer coatings, Teflon coatings, hard anodize (hardcoat), and thin hard coatings are some of the coatings that we apply. Whatever your coating need, Swain Technology can engineer a coating solution to improve the performance and longevity of your parts.

Find Swain Technology Coatings, Inc. and others on ThomasNet.com
Thanks a lot broha

Poor_S13_Driver
Car: S13

Awesome build my friend. I am very curious about swain coating and just went over their website. Sounds awesome. If you dont mind me asking how much was the coating for the exhaust manifold?

Another thing I was curious about is your JWT tune. I noticed you dont have a SAFC like I see most other people using to correct the notoriously rich tune associated with his ecus. Yet it seems like your car is running on something very precisely tuned to be making those awesome numbers. Thanks again

FusionR300zx

bump this sickk setupp!

codyace

plainzwalker wrote:When the OP said Cobra MAF, is that the Ford Cobra or a brand name? If its the Ford one, how does it benefit? Is it hard to wire up?

Thanks
It's an actual Ford Cobra MAF (p/n: F1SZ-12B579-A). It's been the MAF of choice at Jim Wolf Tech, and is easy to find. Wireing it is extremely easy as well! You do however need the ECU programmed to except the larger (3'') maf however. (FWIW: JWT also offers the 90mm Lightning Truck MAF program as well.

Info on wiring it up: http://www.jimwolftechnology.c...T.PDF
Poor_S13_Driver wrote:Awesome build my friend. I am very curious about swain coating and just went over their website. Sounds awesome. If you dont mind me asking how much was the coating for the exhaust manifold?
I honestly forget. I got in on a group deal, and then also recieved a military discount...I'd like to say in the 100ish range...
Poor_S13_Driver wrote:Another thing I was curious about is your JWT tune. I noticed you dont have a SAFC like I see most other people using to correct the notoriously rich tune associated with his ecus. Yet it seems like your car is running on something very precisely tuned to be making those awesome numbers. Thanks again
SAFC's are simply a 300 dollar way to hack up your harness. For everyone that thinks they need it to correct a 'rich' ecu, there are an double amount of those who have screwed somtehing up by not having them tuned.

Out of the box, JWT (and Enthalpy) rom tunes ARE tuned on the conservative side. Both companies realize that the key to staying in business, is to offer products that DO NOT blow up engines, and because of that tune out ECU's that go in the 11-11.7 range at WOT. Can more power be made at 12-12.3ish - certainly, but a faulty setup on crap parts can be the demise of that fine of a tune (and thus bozo's would blame the ROM tune instead of their thin wallets and cheap part selection)

The advantage of the JWT tune is that it's plug and play, and won't ever blow up your engine. My tune is the first of it's kind for the Mototron 60lb injectors, and it's damn near spot on. I will be datalogging another dyno run in the spring after the installation of cam gears, and sending the log file BACK to JWT for a final 'clean up' sort to speak (if it even needs any), and for the tuning in of a launch control (and for my methonal injection).

Would I need a retune? Certianly not. Car idels at 14.4-14.7, and goes in the 11.4 range at WOT...and is tuned for 91 octane (i'd rather be safe than sorry). I'm hoping that a retune with cam gears will gain me some additonal low end torque (I'd love to have 350 ft lbs), but I'm doing the re tune specifically for the launch control and water injection :D

Poor_S13_Driver
Car: S13

Thank you very much for the clarification And again congratulations on a fine build

SilverSurfer
Car: 240SX

New to the forum...

Great/informative thread. Thanks.

spoolinonyou
Car: 1991 240sx

how much boost were you running when you made 400whp?

FusionR300zx

bump this to the top so it's easier to find. this should/could be a nice sticky for a GREAT 400whp setup.

redtop91

+1 to that. Quick question to the OP. While 400whp is an amazing feat on the .64 I have a qualm with the wheel torque numbers. Why so low? Was it tuned for max hp at the expense of torque? Or was it a balanced tune? I'm curious because I am mimmicking your setup.

FusionR300zx

bump it upp!! loll

DrifterProdigy85
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx (Zenki Onevia)

redtop91 wrote:+1 to that. Quick question to the OP. While 400whp is an amazing feat on the .64 I have a qualm with the wheel torque numbers. Why so low? Was it tuned for max hp at the expense of torque? Or was it a balanced tune? I'm curious because I am mimmicking your setup.
Torque just seems "low" because of the Intake Manifold. The Greddy Intake Manifold is larger and is meant to flow more air at higher RPM which keeps torque higher towards redline which makes for more HP. Stock Manifold flows best at midrange which at high rpm the torque dies off and so does the HP. Remember, HP is just a calculation of an amount of torque over a period of time.

codyace

redtop91 wrote:+1 to that. Quick question to the OP. While 400whp is an amazing feat on the .64 I have a qualm with the wheel torque numbers. Why so low? Was it tuned for max hp at the expense of torque? Or was it a balanced tune? I'm curious because I am mimmicking your setup.
Tune is a balanced tune...not for high hp or trq...I wanted somethin safe for HPDE days, and for the street. 330 ft lbs is (IMO) on par to where a smaller t2 based turbine turbo should be.

FWIW: The car has PLENTY of low end power. The cam gears I'm adding will increase it even more so. Im a torque guy to begin with, not a HP one. Response response response :D
DrifterProdigy85 wrote:
Torque just seems "low" because of the Intake Manifold. The Greddy Intake Manifold is larger and is meant to flow more air at higher RPM which keeps torque higher towards redline which makes for more HP. Stock Manifold flows best at midrange which at high rpm the torque dies off and so does the HP. Remember, HP is just a calculation of an amount of torque over a period of time.
I'm goin to disagree. After dynoing my pals turbo sentra with damn near similar mods, we found that both cars ended having the exact same spool up (he has stock intake) and trq numbers until the top end, where the combo of intake and turbo compressor choice came through. I think with these smaller based turbos, that the greddy IM isn't killing low end like it does on the bigger turbo setups, mainly because we're not fighting any lag.

DrifterProdigy85

Need a better comparison IMO. There two differently setup motors. Dyno yours at 17psi to match your friends 17psi and see what torque is. Higher boost creates higher torque readings. And yours matches your friends torque @ 17psi from the intake manifold. If you would of had stock IM @ 20psi, you would have been more at 350tq.

codyace

DrifterProdigy85 wrote:Need a better comparison IMO. There two differently setup motors. Dyno yours at 17psi to match your friends 17psi and see what torque is. Higher boost creates higher torque readings. And yours matches your friends torque @ 17psi from the intake manifold. If you would of had stock IM @ 20psi, you would have been more at 350tq.
I really believe that's doubtful, really do. Even FWD guys aren't seeing gains/losses like that with O2 and O2 style manifolds when using such small turbos. I don't see a little t28 based turbo making 350 wheel foot lbs on a 2.0 without cam gears, and really spinning it. I understand the whole long runner = torque, but there IMO isn't enough volume in that manifold to support the long runers. Now what would be intersteing is the greddy plenum's size, with some matched longer runners :D

The new setup this summer will be tested at all sorts of psi levels :D

S13FASTBACKSR
Car: '92 Fastback SR powered

i thought cam gears didnt make any power or torque gains..i thought they were pointless or bought just for more precision timing?

redtop91

I thought that too but a lot of the knowledge in this thread is far above and beyond me.

S13FASTBACKSR
Car: '92 Fastback SR powered

lol well its what i heard so then i figured a good person to ask would be scott of enthalpy and thats pretty much what he told me, is that cam gears are just for more precise timing, they dont really make any power gains

Deadrodent
Car: 1992 240sx hatchback

how would a lower gear ratio affect the powerband? let's say a 4.36? would you lose a considerable amount of top end power?

on another tangent, would an exhaust cut-out increase response?

codyace

S13FASTBACKSR wrote:i thought cam gears didnt make any power or torque gains..i thought they were pointless or bought just for more precision timing?
S13FASTBACKSR wrote:lol well its what i heard so then i figured a good person to ask would be scott of enthalpy and thats pretty much what he told me, is that cam gears are just for more precise timing, they dont really make any power gains
By advancing exhaust cams at a minimum (usually 2-3 degrees) you will always find increased low end torque and let the engine breath easier on smaller turbo/oem manifold. After looking into it, I have seen examples of this in FWD SR setups, and thought it would be silly to not try them out for their cost and at a miminum to keep manifold pressure lower.

Not to doubt Scott at all in anyway, but I've seen it work on 28RS setups with GTiR manifolds on Sentras....so I'm gonna go ahead and try on mine.
Deadrodent wrote:how would a lower gear ratio affect the powerband? let's say a 4.36? would you lose a considerable amount of top end power?
My car, being such a smaller respnsive turbo, may not like thoe 4.36's. I loved my 411's in my Mustangs/Trucks, but it may make 1 and 2 even more useless than they are....however I would love to try them someday for kicks.
Deadrodent wrote:on another tangent, would an exhaust cut-out increase response?
Supposedly yes, but we recently ran my pals Sentra with open downpipe, and saw NO noticable spool up or tranisient response gains. Maybe 100 rpm...maybe.

DrifterProdigy85

I ran 205/50-15 tires on stock rear which is basically the same as a 4.36 final on the 2871R .64. It accelerated like crazy. Topped out quick on the highway. I remember going 80mph in 4th, i would mash it and in a second or two id be shifting to 5th and a few seconds later id be up near 7krpm again. Cuts about 10mph off the top speed.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”