370Z Audio System Problem

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
jsvalen12
Car: 2020 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring Auto Black

Hello, brand new to the Forum. Hope you can help me. Just purchased a 2020 370Z Sport Touring with A/T and NAVIGATION. I have read the owner's manual up and down and can't find an answer for the following audio system question. In my previous cars when I inserted an MP3 CD, the song name, artist and running time would appear on the NAV screen. Also, I could push a button marked LIST and about 6 or 7 songs would appear on the NAV screen including the song that was currently playing. I can't figure out how to do this in my new car. Also, when I insert a USB stick with music MP3s on it, sometimes I have to wait 5 minutes or more for the music to start. All the while I'm waiting, the NAV screen displays a message that it's Reading the USB. Appreciate any thoughts and don't be afraid to dumb it down. Thank you.
Last edited by Rogue One on Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Duplicate Post Deleted

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

I think this might help explain some of it.
If there are many folder or file levels on the disc or USB device, some time may be required before the music starts playing.

If there is a mixture of music CD files (CD-DA data) and compressed audio files on a CD, only the music CD files (CD-DA data) will be played.

Files with extensions other than “.MP3 (.mp3)”, “.WMA (.wma)”, “.AAC (.aac)”, “.M4A (.m4a)”, or “.AA3 (.aa3)” cannot be played. In addition, the character codes and number of characters for folder names and file names should be in compliance with the specifications (this will cause a delay before the music starts playing).

DISP button:
While a track with recorded music information tags (ID3-tags) is being played, the title of the played track is displayed. If the tags are not provided then a notification message is displayed. When the DISP button is pushed repeatedly, further information about the track can be displayed along with the track title as follows:
Track time → Artist → Album → Folder name → Track time

Track details:
Pushing and holding the DISP button will turn the display into a detailed overview and after a few seconds it returns to the main display, or push the DISP button briefly.

jsvalen12

Thank you for your reply. My audio system does not have a DISP button. I have the AM-FM-SAT Radio with Compact Disc (CD) Player version with a DISC/AUX button. The USB is all music files and no folders; over 2,700 music MP3s. Plays fine on my wife's Sonata.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Okay. Just in case you're not aware, Nissan does not make the audio systems in their cars. The subcontractor used to make the audio system in the Sentra most likely is not the same one that made the unit in your 370Z. Often this explains why there's a performance difference in the audio systems in different cars from the same car company.

The only other thing I can think of is that there's possibly something wrong with the head unit (HU). I had a problem with the USB port in the center console on one of my Rogue's. Turned out to be a defect within the HU and the dealership replaced it for free as it was under warranty. Your 2020 is still under warranty, so I'd take it to the dealership and let them see if it's working correctly.

jsvalen12

Thank you for all your advise. I talked with the dealership yesterday and I will be taking it in this morning.

jsvalen12

Took it in for paint protection and they didn't look at it fo r the radio while it was there. Got a sales manager to come out to the Altima loaner they gave me and inserted the USB stick and the music started right up. We then went to the 370Z, inserted the USB stick. the display screen said "Reading USB" and no music; we sat for several minutes with no change. I am bringing it back Wednesday to have there audio "experts" look at it. Today, the sales manager said that the technology in the Altima is more recent and that the Z is older technology and that is why it might not work properly; maybe it needs to take 10 minutes in order to read the over 2,700 MP3s. However, this same USB stick works fine in my wife's 2013 Hyundai Sonata.

jsvalen12

When I said technology, I was referring to the audio system and specifically as it relates to the playing of a USB stick.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately it looks like no one else is going to chime in.

While it may have sounded like the sales manager was blowing smoke up your skirt, in all honesty with Nissan it's pretty close to the truth. Anyway, there's a quick way to narrow down whether you system is working correctly or not. See if they have another 370Z on the lot and try your USB in that vehicle. If it starts playing immediately, you'll know there's a problem with you car. If it preforms like your car, well then it's functioning normally, albeit crappiely (sp?).

jsvalen12

Good idea. When I suggested it, the sales manager was vague about whether or not another similar radio was on their lot; no Zs are currently at there dealership. I was hoping someone in this Forum had a similar 2020 370Z FM/AM SAT radio, but so far nobody else has replied.

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”