350z on death bed trying to revive.

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
mrwrolguy
Car: 2004 White 350z Touring Edition

I have a complete wrecked car for a automatic swap.. and labeling will be a must with pictures. Waiting on UPS for ECM delivery to check for spark.. If all goes well I will stay standard.. If not will seriously think about swap. My donor car is a 2005 so a complete harness swap will be necessary if I go that route. Test this afternoon will determine which way I go. Wish me luck. The donor car dash cover is gone just the harness and dash cluster and everything that makes the car run... Previous owner stripped the interior to do the repair and then bailed after seeing the internal damage.

mrwrolguy

I have the first engine out https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO ... YI8smMD49Y https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN ... dBHOmcW7BM

Now to mark and pull the donor engine. https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP ... sb1ok4DR2o

If anyone is curious here is the donor car it was hit broadside on the drivers side. https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN ... h_oOD8jwXW

I hope to have the 2nd engine pulled by the weeks end. Im waiting on a clutch alignment tool and a T55 for the flywheel. Got lucky since Im going standard instead of a Automatic conversion (lots more work) It appears the clutch was just replaced. I take pictures of the clutch tomorrow and see what you guys think. :dblthumb:

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

If it helps the clutch alignment tool si the same for every nissan form at least 1970 to current. I have a pile of them, all form different cars, all interchangable.

mrwrolguy

Thats good info to know.. I got one in the mail should be here in a few days.. Going to pull front off donor tomorrow and get ready to pull. Im going to inspect the clutch on the bad motor... Probally going to change it just in case... Hoping the flywheel is in good shape.. Because there are some sweet deals on clutches out there. Ill upload more pics tomorrow. My son keeps telling me I wanna hear it run... I told him ME TOO! :yesnod

mrwrolguy

Pulled the donor engine.. Everything looks good for reinstall except the clutch, The flywheel looks good no blue color but the clutch plate is almost gone. So have a new clutch plate and pressure plate should be here monday. Ill add pictures sometime this week. Should be ready to stab engine next weekend.

mrwrolguy

Just installed the flywheel on the donor motor replaced a broken motor mount damaged during deinstall. I have a question is this a
lightweight flywheel... It weights nothing feels like 8 or 9lbs at most. https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... WyTTPv-PiH I have never seen a flywheel like this before. On my 350 chevys those things were heavy. Thanks :wavey:

And if this is a lightweight flywheel what are the pros and cons of using this on my build.

Also when I removed the original motor plentium there was a 1/4 in spacer that the donor motor did not have. I think I am staying stock as I have no idea whether the ECM has a tune for the spacer or not. And the car being repaired has straight pipes no mufflers and a KN cold air intake. I may go stock air intake being the donor has a stock air box in the trunk. :ohno:

evildky

Link no work. But they call them lightweight for a reason ;)

ecu doesnt need a tune for the spacer or the intake it just helps to get the extra bits of power.

mrwrolguy

mrwrolguy

Installed the donor motor Friday, Hooked up all vacuum hoses and wiring harness to make car run.. With the help of my 14 year old son we got it running today.. It has a bad MAF Po102 code going.. To tired to deal with it today.. Ill pull the donor MAF tomorrow and get her running sweet. Straight Pipes just cats and resonator Sounds good but kinda loud. Heres a potato clip of the first start filmed by my son. :woot:

[youtube] https://youtu.be/KCIJDYRmEyQ [/youtube]

mrwrolguy

Installed donor MAF sensor spun engine over and she purrs like a kitten will ad video later. I have no major codes other than power steering sensor malfunction.. After closer exam I destroyed both donor and primary power steering pumps because when I pulled both engines I did not unplug them... So I will have to search for a replacement pump or the plug itself... It looks like the plug unscrews. So I will have to wait on installing the complete frontend. As its easier to work on all that crap with the frontend pulled off. Engine sounds great.. I also installed a new clutch and pressure plate and works great also.. Only ran the engine about 60 secs as no radiator installed.... Straight pipes are insane. :dblthumb:

mrwrolguy

Installed A/C compressor, power steering pump, alternator today. Did not install belts as I dont have the power steering cooler installed yet. Cranked car fired in like 2 secs idles really well. Thats all for today.. Waiting on power steering pressure switch and plastic clip tabs should be in this weekend. Going to pick of 2 gallons of antifreeze and hopefully get the frontend installed. Also picked up a new radiator. Running it today the oil pressure is above 60lbs and going higher when revved. I may also change the oil sending unit from the previous engine. So far so good. Been playing with this car Since November 2017 getting close to completing this project. Fingers crossed. :gotme

mrwrolguy

Car start after MAF install 3500RPM rev... stupid loud. My son loves it :rotfl

https://youtu.be/mAHDsUnzK5Q

mrwrolguy

Installed the belts radiator front bash bar power steering cooler, ect
Finally drove the car for the first time today.

Did all the relearning for the throttle body pedal and idle. Idles at 750 just running ruff.

Looks like the VVT cam solenoid bank 2 took a dump.

2 codes below.

p0300 = P0300 Random Misfire

P0021 Intake Valve Timing Control

I feel like the P0021 is causing the P0300... I have 6 extra coils just incase will swap out the VVT solenoid Friday.

The adventure continues. :picard:

mrwrolguy

Well I have been chasing the ruff running engine... I have good blue spark on cyl 4 & 6 going to have to run a compression test on those cyl. As its bad compression or 4 & 6 injector wires are reversed or 4 & 6 are not pulsing correctly.... So compression test tomorrow. I repaired the VVT code by replacing both VVT solenoids and changed the oil. I am hoping the engine is good and Im chasing something electrical not mechanical. Ill know tomorrow. Only codes are the power steering pressure sensor ( sensor will be here tomorrow ) and a PO345 and both cam sensors have been changed.. Going to change the crank sensor in the morning. Then do a compression test. I hope my luck improves and I dont have to replace the head. :ohno:

mrwrolguy

Ran compression test... this was ran dry with the fuel pump fuse pulled.

cyl 1 165
cyl 3 170
cyl 5 160

cyl 2 170
cyl 4 170
cyl 6 170

I have 1 160 but I dont think its low enough to cause any problems. ANY INPUT would be helpful.

Installed new spark plugs car is running better just a slight vibration still have the P0345 code swapped sensor yesterday., Yesterday engine would not run well or idle or idle badly. Today after the compression test and install of new spark plugs the car is idling better but still has a slight vibration at idle car rev engine to 5k and it bounces back to 750rpms and does not die.. Seems like the longer it runs the better it runs. Checked all the coils they are firing as they should. Currently dealing with the cooling system As I only have a little over a gallon of antifreeze in the engine and radiator, Idling it does not get hot ... Took the car for a very short drive and the temp gauge went up fast.... So currently trying to get the air out of the system. I currently have the front end jacked up and the coolant tank filled... So just going to run it and add coolant as needed... Until the system is filled no high rpm driving or reving can be done. So I got the power steering pressure switch installed the code is still there so gotta figure that out also. Cleared the codes and it came back on the SES light. Going to install the headlights and front bumper tomorrow.. Next week have a new drivers side window motor coming in have reinstall the drivers side door panel and tape up a lot of the wiring harness under the dash and above where the IPDM is located.

Short video of engine idling front and back. https://youtu.be/crSvO9rdYLA

Short video of engine oil pressure after rev https://youtu.be/7okX7PMXFAk

Short video of engine rev then return to idle https://youtu.be/mSXXuHBbzmg

Slowly but surely its coming together. Just a few engine codes to deal with and a ABS code to sort then I might actually get to drive this thing finely :clap:

mrwrolguy

Well it looks like I transferred a problem to car by changing parts... Bank 2 was having a random missfire checked compression, compression looks good changed both VVT solenoids and I think I installed a bad solenoid from the old engine. because of the latest trouble code P1031 bank 1 so going to reinstall the original VVT solenoid and it should remove the P1031 code. I have a video below from my Consult 3 monitoring the A/F SEN1 HTR (B1) exhaust sensor... This did not occur till I changed the VVT bank 1 solenoid... SOOOOOO gonna swap that back here the video showing that the A/F SEN1 HTR (B1) out put is the same as the output for bank 2.

valve timing off according to consult 3 monitor
https://youtu.be/vGdF_7kSDBg

Codes I currently have :facepalm:
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... waJBVEAWoG

Check the video at 44 sec you will see the INT/V TIM (B1) compared to Bank 2 is way off kilter So gonna reswap the solenoid on VVT. And check the connector for the precat sensor on Bank 1.

Still have the P0345 cam sensor code... Kinda stratching my head here I have replaced it with 2 OEM sensors and one aftermarket sensor.. Clear codes and it just pops back on... I may change the harness connector next. Going to change VVT solenoid and may step away for a few days. And think on this awhile. I am no means a mechanic just basic knowledge of how things work and this is my first Z car.

I drove the car a 1.5 miles today got the speed up to 60mph drives good have a ABS sensor on Drivers R causing the VDS and Slip light to stay on... Thats on the back burner for now.

Got my new window motor in the mail saturday.... I was going to install the bumper and interfenders and start on interior.... With these code bothering me so much just not in the mood.

So the adventure continues. I tell you what I dont see how anyone can work on these cars with Consult 3 I would be lost as a goose and would have said hell with it and started parting both cars out.

Not going to give up... just going to take a break after today and read the FSM and find a solution to the codes... Hard parts done engine in.. Engine running so thats something. :gotme

mrwrolguy

By replacing bank 1 VVT solenoid The code P1031 is a bank 1 code and P0345 are gone I know P0345 is a bank 2 code drivers side and correct harness is connected to correct cam sensor... cleared codes and they havent came back... Since replacing VVT bank 1 solenoid car is running better but still missing currently only getting .....
P0021 and P0300 so random of a codes ... Im thinking I might have a bad coil pack causing the missfire not sure. Not going to mess with it for a few days. Gotta research the current codes. And take a break. Been hitting it pretty hard for the last few weeks.

mrwrolguy

After some forum reading and internet surfing.. I think Its the crank sensor is bad.. I do believe its a non oem sensor.. The donor car has a OEM sensor gonna replace it tomorrow. After work. Will update if my codes disappear. :ohno:

evildky

Thank you for documenting and sharing all this. This is a great troubleshooting thread.

mrwrolguy

evildky wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:05 am
Thank you for documenting and sharing all this. This is a great troubleshooting thread.
Taking a break today.... from Z will hit it again tomorrow. Im just hoping me listing codes and symptoms might help someone... I have read so many threads trying to get info on mine... They are just hit and run with no solution... That drives me crazy. I decided thats not going to be me. And the adventure continued.. Purchased a non running supposed NO START 350z in good condition. Seller LIED LIED and LIED somemore. So between the donor car I was able to get this far. Will update again soon.

mrwrolguy

Replaced the crank sensor.... it made no difference on the P0021. Replaced the VVT solenoid for bank 2 and the VVT signal sensors are now in sync via the cam sensors. Now the P0021 code is gone so it was the solenoid.. Currently only have one code on the engine side and its a P0300 multiple cyl missfire. Now Im getting to the main issue for the rough idling issue. Im thinking coil pack or computer. As I just installed the recently repaired ECM the middle of march. When I have more info Ill try to add a video of the P0021 code on the Consult 3 data monitor shows after the VVT solenoid replaced on bank 2 there is sync now. Here is that video :whistle:

https://youtu.be/tuXOA7d8eoY

p0300 current code chasing :confused:
back burner ABS code.... troubleshooting later.

mrwrolguy

Another possibility... is bad fuel... The fuel smelled raunchy... I pumped out about 5 gallons.. and put in about 8 gallons till the tank was full right after I installed engine... So that means there was still 7 gallons of old fuel in the tank. So chasing this P0300 may be as easy as bad fuel. So tomorrow going to pick up some fuel additives. Since repairing the P0021 with the VVT solenoid bank 2 just seems the longer it runs the better it runs. So going to try some additive and more fresh fuel.. I have burned about a 1/4 of a tank over the last week just letting it run. So going to try some raunchy gas remover. And then add a 1/4 tank more of 93. I tried to siphon out the old fuel with a hose pump hose wont go down in tank far enough... I know I can take the fuel pump out, Just dont want to go that route yet. :poke:

mrwrolguy

NO ENGINE CODES :thewave:

no more P0300. And the problem was coil plug 4 and 6 were connected backwards. I cant take the blame for that as I marked each plug as I disconnected them.

This thread is almost over Just a few more items to check off.

C1106 ABS sensor

Repair A/C system put a can of freon in and 2 days later its gone. So a leak somewhere.

Tape up the harness during troubleshooting

Reinstall interior parts.

I did install the window motor and reinstall the drivers doorpanel.

Almost done.. And the Adventure Continues. :woot:

evildky

Awesome! Congrats on tracking down the issue. Glad it was just a human error.

mrwrolguy

I replaced the ABS sensors that were attached to the pumpkin... that was strange did not expect them to be there..... Just pulled the part off the donor car... Cost was ZEEERO. I guess I spoke to soon. The car has been sitting up for about a year year and a half. Not sure.. But now my clutch pedal is STUCK TO THE FLOOR only have like a 1 in pedal. I guess I spoke too soon... So gotta figure that out. MY CAR HAS NO CODES> NO CODES I SAID> SO
fix clutch pedal
fix AC
tape wires from troubleshooting harness
reinstall interior that was removed.

mrwrolguy

Received the replacement front inner fenders for bumper reinstall, ordered stop leak for AC system gonna try that, Ordered UV flashlight to find leak. Should receive clutch slave cyl / and brake bleeder next week. Clutch is working fine today head scratch on that but changing slave cyl anyway. Ordered leather patch kit for drivers side bolster 3" leather tear. Last but not least.. New windshield wiper blades. So will update as things get installed. :wavey:

evildky

Generally a good idea to replace the slave and master as a pair, if one fails the other isn't usually far behind. That being said I had 2 bad masters in a row, so I'd take the new one apart and give it a good visual inspection prior to instal.

mrwrolguy

Thanks for the heads up. :dblthumb: Strange thing right now... without doing anything clutch feels fine again. I'll take your advice and order a master also. Busy week not much done to Z this week maybe do somemore this weekend.

mrwrolguy

Got the harness all taped up and reinstalled interior that was removed and replaced the misc battery and brake surrounds. Got the A/C charged up found the leak it was leaking from where you put freon in the car, purchased the tightening tool from parts house add a can of sealer and AC is blowing cold car idling. Installed inner fenders left and right. I was worried about the ebay aftermarkets ones... They are great. Then installed the front bumper.. Just waiting on the VLP leather glue for the patch on the drivers side bolster seat. So we will see how that goes. I almost forgot... The ABS light came back on... If I spin the tires the ABS light comes on. Thinking installed left to right and right to left. Will swap them around this weekend and see if that works. Will update later.

mrwrolguy

Well other than figuring out the ABS sensor and doing a brake job all around The vehicle is complete. I am happy with how it came out. Thank You NICOclub.com for all the valuable information. :dance

I would recommend anyone taking on this type of project with the computer systems in these cars get a system that can read NISSAN computers its just basic turning bolts after that. :sad:

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”