350Z DIY: Changing The Window Motor.

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
angeleyes
Car: 35th Anniversary 350z

This was so great! Thank you!! The only issue I ran into was that my window was down, and apparently when you get the motors, they come out of the box thinking the window is up. Maybe that's common knowledge, but for a chick that thought hey, what the hell I can do this, I wasn't aware of this fact. :) If you mentioned it, I read right past it! haha. Thanks so much for taking the time to post this! Saved me a chunk of change.

catnipple
Car: 2007 z33
1990 s13 hatch (ls1 swap in progress)
1997 dodge 1500
2004 dodge 3500

AWESOME! :) I'll go ahead n thank you in advance, for when i need this thread in the future.

Singhgoraya

Hi all ,
Just came through this forum , thought could get some useful info.
My 2003 350z both left and right windows dosnt work.lucky they were up when stopped working. When i press the up-down switch i can hear a click from left window and nothing from right one . But still dosnt go down.
I opened the panel to find out window motor part number but couldnt see anything on the motor or anywhere close.
Have no idea if its motor or something else . Any suggestions would be appreciated . One more thing if motor needs to be changed do i really need part number or just year 2003 and 350z is enogh to order online ?
Please help me out
Thanks a lot

hitbychance
Car: 2008 350z
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7L hemi

^ not sure what the issue is but most likely its the motors, they can be found at rockauto.com just select you car and year and the motor. Thats the cheapest site i have found.

Garomil
Car: 2004 350Z

Same PITA problem for me. Fantastic description btw--you should write training manuals for a living. One suggestion that helped me save money. Don't throw away your motor and buy a new one, just fix (clean) it.

The problem with the window not going down for me is the black soot/dust coating the copper connections which cause the motor to lose power. Simply remove the 3 screws of the gold case of the motor rmezz13 is holding in the photo where he labeled it "SHIZAAM". Inside is a big copper brush attached the spindle. At the base of the spindle is more copper that needs to make contact with the copper leads of the housing. In my case there was tons of black dust bunnies coating both sides. I wiped it all with a lint-free cloth then blasted both sides with electronic dust cleaner.

Five months later the window motor is still working without any sign of the original problem. I guess if money is no object, may as well buy an entirely new motor. But if you want to save money, fix the old unit with a $2 spray cleaner.
Last edited by Garomil on Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heavy
Car: 1992 Mr.Two, 1996 LS4HUNNID, 1999 Appliance on wheels.

Just replaced mine this weekend with a reman from rockauto. besides forgetting about the reset after putting my door panel on it went smooth. thanks for the awesome wright up.

As for taking apart and cleaning the motor... why? Almost every thread ive seen where somebody cleaned the motor it lasted a few weeks and thats it. For how easy it is to replace and most manufacturers give a warranty its kind of a no brainer to replace the whole unit.

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”