3 questions about my cube....

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
mb935

Hello to everyone. I just found this forum and since I have a few questions about my cube was hoping I could get some answers from fellow cube drivers.

1). Does anyone ever have the issue with the engine revving pretty much on its own??

Sometimes Ill just be driving and the engine will seem to get more power without me doing anything. This happens when not in cruise control - I do know it will do this while driving up hills.

Is there something wrong????

2). My back doors have a "hole" (one on each door) l - under the door handle. It looks like something should have been installed there. Anyone know what this is for???

3). Do any of hte cubes have door locks on the back doors? This is my first 4 door car and its actually annoying to have the back doors open and have to have my key handy OR open the front door to lock the car. Just wondering if that option came with a higher price.

THANKS SO MUCH for any help.

KromCube
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube Krom

For your first question, this is my two cents: all I can say is its probably the CVT and there's nothing wrong with the engine. The slightest change in the accelerator can cause the revs to go up but thats because of the type of transmission and your driving style, plus you are going up hill which means you need more power. But if you have a manual, Im not sure.

The second question, the holes are for the Cube hooks you can get from the dealer and on the front, there are holes for the Cube bands to hold maps etc.

The third question isn't too clear, you'll have to clarify what your saying unless someone else can fill you in on that. Not sure if there is an extra option for door locks.

Hope this helps! Welcome to NICO!

Heavy Metal Doctor

I think the door lock question is about being able to lock / unlock all from a rear door, maybe???...if so, then there's nothing you can do -- as far as I know all 4 door cars are set up this way....just be glad you have power locks and remote key thingy that makes it possible to lock / unlock all from the front, some of us remember the days of manualy (stick the key in the door and twist!) unlocking one door, then, reach around into the back to pull up the rear lock to get another door open...oh and ya had to get out of the car and take you key with you to get in the trunk, too!!

Sorry, I guess I sound like a smart azz, I'm just jokin' around..... but the way you're seeing it is just the way it's done....

mb935

Thanks...

No, I really appreciate having 4 doors after having 2 my whole life. BUT just wanted to have that answered. And Yes, that is what I was asking.

So hooks go in those holes??? I do have 6 multicolored bands that I placed in 3 places - couldnt find the other 2 areas. (one under the temp control and the other 2 on my 2 front doors)

I did think it was maybe the CVT - just it surprises me when it happens - (just whenever (not accelerating - NOT uphill and on dry roads). I looked up CVT in the manual and dont get it - what is it exactly.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

KromCube

Im not exactly a mechanic but from what I know is that CVT (Continuosly Variable Transmission) is basically an automatic with mutiple foward speeds but it spins the gears in front of the current gear so when you reach the speed to upshift, its seamless and you don't feel it shift. It seems like CVT's only have one foward gear. Someone correct/add to this if Im wrong.

Heavy Metal Doctor

I believe CVT stands for Constantly Variable Transmission - In my limited knowledge there are no "gears" just a pair of "pulleys" with a heavy belt between them. The sides of the pulleys can spread apart or move closer, essentially making a variable diameter pulley. As one spreads apart, the other will close to keep the same grip on the belt. Creating an infinate number of "gears" which are really just the differrent ratios between the power in (engine) and the output (wheels) here, google is our friend!!......Stolen fro the web:

"A continuously variable transmission (CVT) is a transmission which can change steplessly through an infinite number of effective gear ratios between maximum and minimum values. This contrasts with other mechanical transmissions that only allow a few different distinct gear ratios to be selected. The flexibility of a CVT allows the driving shaft to maintain a constant angular velocity over a range of output velocities. This can provide better fuel economy than other transmissions by enabling the engine to run at its most efficient revolutions per minute (RPM) for a range of vehicle speeds."So the engine is speeding up even though you aren't changing the position of the gas pedal because the transmission is "shifting" the ratio which I'd venture a guess is controlled by all the wonderful computer controls sensing a change in the "load" of moving the car down the road.

The colored bands they gave you are only for the front armrest slots.Check here for info on that and the hooks:http://www.nissanusa.com/micro...erior/

More on the hooks - I found the mounts they go in out of the panel where the heater controls are for doing some other work and found thatway the mount is designed it would be very easy to adapt another sort of hook if you don't want to buy the factory ones or want more than the couple they gave you.

Modified by Heavy Metal Doctor at 6:20 PM 10/20/2009

Modified by Heavy Metal Doctor at 6:29 PM 10/20/2009

Modified by Heavy Metal Doctor at 6:30 PM 10/20/2009
Modified by Heavy Metal Doctor at 6:31 PM 10/20/2009

mb935

thanks... but i still dont get it

so do you think its the CVT that makes me car rev (according to me - for no reason)

I definitely did not get more hooks for the backseat - guess i have to call my dealership. Its not that big of deal - except the 2 noticeable holes in the doors.

KromCube

Yeah its the trans that makes the revs go up quick, you just have to be sensitive on the accelerator. And the hooks, yeah you can get them from the dealer but they are really that usable

Return to “Cube Forum”